Author Topic: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime  (Read 39063 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime
« Reply #1340 on: November 14, 2017, 10:26:18 AM »
From The Atlantic's article:

“Strongly suggest your dad tweets this link if he mentions us,” WikiLeaks went on, pointing Trump Jr. to the link wlsearch.tk, which it said would help Trump’s followers dig through the trove of stolen documents and find stories. “There’s many great stories the press are missing and we’re sure some of your follows [sic] will find it,” WikiLeaks went on. “Btw we just released Podesta Emails Part 4.”

Trump Jr. did not respond to this message. But just 15 minutes after it was sent, as The Wall Street Journal’s Byron Tau pointed out, Donald Trump himself tweeted, “Very little pick-up by the dishonest media of incredible information provided by WikiLeaks. So dishonest! Rigged system!”

Ironically, the day that Jr. was cahooting with WikiLeaks, Mike Pence was asked specifically about whether the campaign was in cahoots with WikiLeaks and he said "no".  Yesterday, he issued a statement saying that he was not aware of Jr's cahooting, such a denial being notable because it's the first such denial albeit in response to the nth time that he has been made a liar by the actions of himself and/or the campaign.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
Speaking of Alabama judges...no, not that one...Trump's pick for a lifetime appointment to the Federal bench in that state is running into some trouble.  Ignoring the fact that he's only 36, is a blogger, has never tried a case or even argued a motion in court (although he does have a law degree), received a unanimous assessment of "not qualified" from the American Bar Association*, and suggested - in response to the Sandy Hook massacre - that we need to sop being "pansies" and "man-up", Brett Talley failed to disclose some material details on some of his personal connections (I know, right?)

To wit, he's married to the White House counsel's Chief of Staff, Ann Donaldson.  That's the same Ann Donaldson who has been interviewed by Mueller as part of the Russia investigation.

As far as I know, Donaldson isn't actually Russian herself, so I guess that's an improvement.

Every Republican on the Judicial Committee has endorsed Talley.

* The ABA has issued only six unanimous "not qualified" assessments in its history; four of these six were Trump nominees.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
OK, my level of outright disgust is Harvian right now:

- The tax bill is being retrofitted to be an ACA repeal (and not replace), they're taking $338bn from Medicaid, giving it to corporations and throwing 13 million people off insurance in the process

- The WSJ's CEO Counsel put the lie to the Republican trickle down theory when the room was asked to show hands for those who would invest more once their taxes were cut; maybe two hands (out of dozens) went up and Gary Cohn was reduced to embarrassed laughter (corporations don't need tax cuts to invest, they need demand)

- "Friend of Russia" Rex Tillerson's State Department just gave a no-bid contract for security services at the Moscow embassy to company founded by a former KGB spy-master who worked with (at the KGB) and is a friend of Putin

- Trump retweeted himself to offer sympathy to the victims of the CA elementary school shooting without bothering to change the location from Sutherland Springs; if someone could give less than zero shits, this is what it would look like

- Jeff Sessions lied to the House Judiciary committee about lying to the Senate Judiciary committee about lies on his security disclosure form, and got pantsed frequently for being purely partisan and racist in his approach to law enforcement (Sessions has lied so many times about lying that they're going to use it as the basis for a sequel to "Inception")
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:26:28 AM by Limey »

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
And if all goes really well they will get a child molester elected to the senate so the perjured attorney general can take his spot allowing a new AG to curtail the investigation into the president.

...The Aristocrats!
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »
And if all goes really well they will get a child molester elected to the senate so the perjured attorney general can take his spot allowing a new AG to curtail the investigation into the president.

...The Aristocrats!

I careen wildly between believing them to be a scheming pile of Machiavellian geniuses, to them being a steaming pile of heartless retards.  I really have no idea if this is a grand scheme or if the media is conjuring plots to try and make sense of just a rolling set of disconnected fuck ups.

Meanwhile, 4 more accusers for Moore come forward and the Alabama GOP - who have the power to decertify Moore so that any votes for him have no meaning and he's ineligible for election - met last night and decided..."Meh."  They did nothing.

Moore is now down in a number of polls, but I don't believe a word of it.  People answering questions to pollsters will give one answer, and when they're in the privacy of the booth, they'll punch the card for the GOP candidate because otherwise Hillary Clinton is going to appoint Barack Obama to the Alabama Senate seat with one simple email sent from her private server in the basement of a pizza parlor and Sharia Law and no guns and stuff.  Now, where's my hammer...I've got a Keurig to smash.  Fucking Ikea!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 16, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
The GOP tax plan is massively unpopular.  Recent polling has it at 52% - 25% disapproval while 60+% think it will favor the wealthy and corporations.  This was before they retrofitted it to be also a repeal of Obamacare that will put up insurance premiums by 10% annually and result in 13 million people losing their coverage.

So, is the Moore stuff and Trump's general Twitter presence a planned distraction, or just situation normal...?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 16, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
Trump just lifted the ban on repatriating hunting trophies.

With every decision he lands on the side that is grotesque and cruel.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »
Trump just lifted the ban on repatriating hunting trophies.

With every decision he lands on the side that is grotesque and cruel.

Not just hunting trophies, elephant hunting trophies.  I've decided I'm opening a restaurant that serves nothing but golden retriever. 
"Some days are diamonds. Some days are rocks."  Tom Petty

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 16, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
Al Franken is now caught in the harassment net.  He disputes Leann Tweeden's characterization of the kiss she claims Franken aggressively planted on her while the two were on a rehearsing a "bit" for on a VSO tour, but her claim that he had a photo taken of him touching her boobs (admittedly outside her flak jacket) while she was asleep on a flight is indisputable...because there's a photo.  Franken doesn't dispute the photo and apologizes for it.

I think it's great that sex pests galore are getting outed.  There's going to be some tough ones, though, like Franken, where the disappointment will be hard to swallow.  Shame on you, Al.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 16, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »
I'm just shocked me in powerful positions would take advantage of women.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
I'm just shocked me in powerful positions would take advantage of women.

Not you too!

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
I think it's great that sex pests galore are getting outed.  There's going to be some tough ones, though, like Franken, where the disappointment will be hard to swallow.  Shame on you, Al.

Damn right.  There's no room for any of that shit. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:14 PM »
Damn right.  There's no room for any of that shit.

Right.  And for every dollop of gleeful schadenfreude from when overt pigs like Moore or Weinstein get tagged, there's going to be a Spacey or Franken that's going to cause a sad.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 16, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
Speaking of dicks that shouldn't be out in public, the House just passed its version of the tax bill with all Democrats and 13 Republicans voting against.  This bill is presumed to be DOA at the Senate and the Senate bill itself is already on the bubble.  Whatever happens, they are in a race to get the Senate bill resolved prior to the Alabama special election, because they may lose the ironically named Sen. Strange's vote to Moore's Democratic challenger as they are already running out of margin with the ironically named Sen. Johnson already saying he will break from his fellow Republicans and vote nay.  Lots of eyes on the uninterestingly-named Sens Collins, Murkowski and McCain to see how they will vote, now that a partial healthcare repeal has been grafted onto the bill.

It remains to be seen whether the Democrats lose Al Franken's vote in the short term (i.e. if he's forced to step down), but Minnesota's governor is a Democrat and so any appointed replacement will likely be a Democrat too.  Sen. Menendez' corruption trial has ended with the jury hung (ironically), so New Jersey's governor Krisp Krispy doesn't get to appoint Menendez' replacement.  Should a future trial find Menendez guilty, a the duty of replacing him would fall on New Jersey's new, Democratic, governor.  In both cases, a resultant special election would likely return a Democrat to the seat.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 16, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
Votes missing from the minority don't matter.  49-50 is just as good as 49-51.  That has likely made it easier for the Democrats to say "Sure, let's rid the place of all of em."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 16, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »
Votes missing from the minority don't matter.  49-50 is just as good as 49-51.  That has likely made it easier for the Democrats to say "Sure, let's rid the place of all of em."

Good point.  Seems the Dems might choose to make an example of Franken - or ask him to fall on his sword - so as to maintain a semblance of purity on this matter.  Of the current crop of harassers, those with left leanings all (I believe) have had some form of comeuppance (with Franken's fate still to be decided).  These being Weinstein, CK, Spacey and - going back a little way - Weiner.  Meanwhile, Moore is hanging around and making things uncomfortable for those on the right and, of course, the Pussy-Grabber-in-Chief is still in the White House (and keeping his dry lips tightly closed on this subject).

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
I will eat my confederate flag do-rag if those Alabama pig fuckers don't vote for Moore in overwhelming numbers.

I would have paid good money to see those inbreds try to figure out if their percolator was a Keurig or not.
Tuve que decirle que no

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »
Our pussy-grabber in chief - while still silent on Moore - just went after Al Franken in multiple tweets. 

I’m not shocked, but I’m almost overcome by shock.

This. Is.  Insane. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 21, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »
Trump has finally today responded to - instead of pretending not to hear - questions about Roy Moore:

Trump: "I can tell you one thing for sure. We don't need a liberal person in there, a Democrat. Jones."

Reporter: "Is an accused child molester better than a Democrat?"

Trump: "Well, he denies it. Look, he denies it. I mean, if you look at what is really going on. You look at all the things that have happened over the last 48 hours, he totally denies it. He says it didn't happen. And you know, you have to listen to him also."

One man vs. nine accusers, plus multiple contemporaneous corroborations of the accusers, plus further details such as his banning from a mall for bothering the schoolgirls there, a former police officer used to have to keep Moore away from the cheerleaders at high school football games and the bizarre, self-admitted anecdote that his wife first caught his eye at a high school dance recital. Sure, those are totally equal...

I'm not sure what's more creepy here: the fact that a grown man with no reason to be there was hanging around a high school dance recital, or that he first noticed - in that way - the girl he would later marry when she was 15 or 16 years old (people went back and checked the records).