Author Topic: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime  (Read 182189 times)

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Angell on "Most Important" Vote of His Lifetime
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:01 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/15/donald-trump-and-his-supporters-turn-on-sexual-harassment-accuse/

Mr Trump continued his belligerence in the face of the accusations and his supporters followed his cue, chanting “lock her up” at a rally in North Carolina as the Republican nominee disparaged Natasha Stoynoff, a former People Magazine reporter who claims he pushed her up against a wall and forcibly kissed her in 2005.

Cue Trump -

"I never said that."
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »
And what the fuck has Trump "exposed" (referring to any actions taken by Clinton, not as in "We wait, miserably, for the dong shot.")

This is how out of touch I am - I read the guy complaining about small ball Ryan and I immediately assumed it was some sort of baseball metaphor.

Plus my new favorite thing: They're lying. AND they're ugly.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2016, 12:49:36 pm »
You should it write it "crimes" since you are clearly not talking about any relevant or applicable criminal statutes. 

And what the fuck has Trump "exposed" (referring to any actions taken by Clinton, not as in "We wait, miserably, for the dong shot.")

And on cue the recent re-release of the supposed 2008 Obama dong shot: http://www.snopes.com/presidential-erection/
Goin' for a bus ride.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
Cue Trump -

"I never said that."

At some point in the not too distant future Trump is going to look a reporter squarely in the eye and say, "I never ran for president."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2016, 01:46:12 pm »
At some point in the not too distant future Trump is going to look a reporter squarely in the eye and say, "I never ran for president."

And in certain respects it will be one of the truer things he'll say.
Y todo lo que sube baja

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2016, 09:14:13 am »
And in certain respects it will be one of the truer things he'll say.

He lobbed that one right down the pipe for you, Chuckster.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2016, 09:22:12 am »

The full quote was:
There are not many places left for this thing to go that don't involve kids or cannibalism. We wait, miserably, for the dong shot.

Taibbi is clearly suffering from campaign PTSD if he's forgotten that Trump is due in court in mid-December to answer an accusation of child molestation.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2016, 12:33:18 pm »
He lobbed that one right down the pipe for you, Chuckster.

Bigly.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:26 pm »
Bigly.

You really grabbed it by the pussy.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 09:33:41 am »
Texas early voting numbers up bigly.

With Texas polling within the margin of error, and a high turnout typically favoring Democrats, things could get very interesting come election day.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2016, 03:31:00 am »
Hi
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2016, 09:53:31 am »
The power of Scott Baio.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2016, 09:56:24 am »
The power of Scott Baio.

Now that he's done helping Trump maybe he can get back to helping the Astros.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2016, 10:37:54 am »
Judging from the reports this morning, sounds as if all the inflammatory rhetoric was just a means to Donald's end.  He doesn't really plan to build a wall, deport Mexicans or ban Muslims, but instead is mainly interested in the old time republican values of cutting taxes for the wealthy and removing pesky regulations impeding corporate interests.  There might be some rubes who eventually realize they were conned by one of the best and ask "Hey, why is that dark guy still here and why am I still without a high paying job," but they will be brushed aside til next election cycle.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2016, 10:39:25 am »
Sometimes you get what you ask.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:37 am »
Canadian citizenship Web site amazingly slow right now.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2016, 11:04:14 am »
Judging from the reports this morning, sounds as if all the inflammatory rhetoric was just a means to Donald's end.  He doesn't really plan to build a wall, deport Mexicans or ban Muslims, but instead is mainly interested in the old time republican values of cutting taxes for the wealthy and removing pesky regulations impeding corporate interests.  There might be some rubes who eventually realize they were conned by one of the best and ask "Hey, why is that dark guy still here and why am I still without a high paying job," but they will be brushed aside til next election cycle.

none of this surprises me at all. I still am in shock, however.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2016, 11:40:42 am »
He doesn't really plan to build a wall, deport Mexicans or ban Muslims, but instead is mainly interested in the old time republican values of cutting taxes for the wealthy and removing pesky regulations impeding corporate interests. 

And yet from everything I've heard the overwhelming reasons for voting for him were: "Never Hillary" and "I hate politicians/I want someone who's completely different".
Goin' for a bus ride.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2016, 01:06:22 pm »
My favorites from this thread:

Has there ever been a more effective job of character assassination than's been pulled on Hillary?

This is so depressing.

Against my better judgment I enlisted in a forum the other day about the election instigated by an email from Kiplingers--that's half a day's work down the drain. The level of self-delusion among the Trumpistas is staggering, and the unanimous contempt in which they hold the "liberal media" gives them carte blanche to assemble their own reality wholesale.

What is this country going to look like on November 9th?

Say the G.O.P. manages to hang on to the House: their ranks will likely be thinned only of the quote-unquote moderates, making for an even more unruly, combative majority. Does Ryan maintain his Speakership? Do they condemn President Clinton as illegitimate? Are they chastened at all?

If he does keep his job, the only laws passed in Clinton's first term will be (as has been the case for the past six years) done with the help of the democratic minority over the objections of his caucus. Which...that situation can't last. How long until they're in open revolt against him? How long until a Blake Farenthold ("Sometimes I don't agree with everything I say!") is speaker, calling for impeachment?

Interesting discussion on fivethirtyeight about how the white nationalist segment of the G.O.P. is now their primary constituency: cultural conservatives rather than social or fiscal conservatives. After the election, could we see this arrangement formally recognized in the formation of a new party?

Finally--as I try to stifle terrified laughter--what are the odds Trump goes gracefully? (here is a disturbing and fascinating conversation with several of his biographers about that topic, and others. ["He doesn't think," says one.]) And what does it mean for us if he doesn't?

It means he'll continue to stir up the tinfoil hat wearing, John Birchers out there.  And they'll wail.  And talk show radio hosts will get rich egging them on.  The rest of us will continue on with our lives. 

I've often wondered if this whole run for President shtick was nothing but an excuse to start his own TV network, but he then won the nomination and went "oh shit, what do I do now?"

Trump's business for over a decade now has not been real estate, it's been promoting and living off the Trump brand.  He hasn't built shit since about 2008; instead he has been licensing his name to be splashed across other people's developments in giant, gaudy lettering.  That, and his TV show.  That's it.

Well the TV show is gone, pretty much before he got to the caveat "...and some, I assume, are good people."  Now this dumpster fire of a campaign has destroyed his brand name.  For example, the new, lavish hotel in DC that bears his name was half-empty during the IMF summit, while every other hotel was sold out; why?  Because delegates could not countenance staying in a Trump-branded hotel.

His business, and maybe his personal life, may never recover from this.

Texas early voting numbers up bigly.

With Texas polling within the margin of error, and a high turnout typically favoring Democrats, things could get very interesting come election day.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »

Dismissing Trump as just another republican and his followers as driven by racist motives on the day after the election is based in ignorance. I have been following this... closely... and have yet to find any "reports" of anything you discuss.

Oye. Vamos, vamos.