Author Topic: We don' t need no stinkin nets  (Read 6787 times)

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Always ready to go to a game.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: We don' t need no stinkin nets
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:44 am »
Of course, as indicated in the comments, it's also the best example of why people who sit near the front row of a baseball game need to actually watch the game. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:19:44 am »
Of course, as indicated in the comments, it's also the best example of why people who sit near the front row of a baseball game need to actually watch the game.

exactly. playing with his phone.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:43:33 am »
there is no crying in baseball ..so no need for nets..geeze...talk about pussyfooting
forever is composed entirely of nows

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:21:01 am »
there is no crying in baseball ..so no need for nets..geeze...talk about pussyfooting

I respectfully disagree.  I like the comfort of the nets.  I watch the games but I also know I can't catch a ball.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:25:42 am »
I respectfully disagree.  I like the comfort of the nets.  I watch the games but I also know I can't catch a ball.

You put up the front net and not the one above you.  That way you can catch the ones that won't catch you.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »
Notice it took the hat off the guy next to him with the camera.  I expect he was paying attention to the game and still just about took a bat to the noggin.

I sit behind nets at Gville games.  I like to sit behind the plate so I can see the movement of pitches.  I don't even notice the nets anymore until they catch a foul ball.   I have seen too many folks hit by balls in the stands.  Line drives come to quick even if you are paying attention. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »
I don't have a problem with putting up more netting, if it makes fans safer.  I just don't think a picture of someone not paying attention is somehow all the evidence we need. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
I was at a AAA game before the days of the cell phone.  Had front row seats right at the third base bag.  Foul ball screamer went into the stands about half way between me and the net behind home plate.  Caught the last person in the bottom section(about 15 rows).  Couldn't turn my head fast enough to see it hit him, but it bounced off his skull most of the way back to the field.  I only know who it hit because blood started pouring down either side of his nose as his head fell forward into his hands.   Had to catch him right between the eyes. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:51:54 pm »
Yeah, it's nuts that the nets don't extend farther.  Like Duman said, when you sit behind them, you get used to them. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:57:59 pm »
Yeah, it's nuts that the nets don't extend farther.  Like Duman said, when you sit behind them, you get used to them.

There's really no good reason it not to have more netting.   
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 02:51:48 pm »
The netting never bothers me. Bench is right. Netting makes the game safer.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

bubba

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 02:52:34 pm »
I was at a AA game and the last out was a left handed batter. He lost the bat and it landed inches from me. I was happy to have the bat ,but it was definitely scary.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 03:19:12 pm »
Got our mini-plan for Bulls games the other day. They're extending their netting to the ends of both dugouts. Now that we have a baby to worry about, we knew we wanted to pick seats that are protected.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 05:33:42 am »
Kid was texting his mom a picture from his first pro game
http://triblive.com/mobile/10100857-96/bat-ortiz-pirates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 07:42:17 am »
Kid was texting his mom a picture from his first pro game
http://triblive.com/mobile/10100857-96/bat-ortiz-pirates

And the dad, a former ballplayer, did not instruct his kid on the right and wrong times to do so.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:39 am »
i know there is a danger but i am guessing inattentiveness to the games adds to it in a big way.
forever is composed entirely of nows

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 10:52:23 am »
I used to think I could duck or catch it or protect myself until I saw a couple of screamers come in our direction and skip off of one of the railing poles. You can't predict how that carom will go, much less react when it's three feet in front of you.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 11:14:14 am »
Safety issues aside, it's still disturbing to watch a game and realize most of the folks sitting behind home plate are only marginally interested in the game.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »
Safety issues aside, it's still disturbing to watch a game and realize most of the folks sitting behind home plate are only marginally interested in the game.

Truth. How about up in the suites? Even less interest.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 01:10:30 pm »
Truth. How about up in the suites? Even less interest.

Sometimes I question whether or not a certain someone in the broadcast booth is actually watching the game. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 01:11:24 pm »
Sometimes I question whether or not a certain someone in the broadcast booth is actually watching the game.

Thankfully, Ford and Sparks do watch the games and report on them.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »

I've come to really like Ford.  I could take or leave Sparks.  He's OK.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 02:46:55 pm »

seconded

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »

unfortunately, they aren't doing the tv games.  I hate ashby, he's the only reason the void is a good thing.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 03:54:13 pm »

I like Sparks, who's grown into the role in my opinion. He offers some good inside baseball analysis from time to time that make him valuable to the team.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 08:17:06 pm »
I like Sparks also. He is knowledgeable and intelligent. Agree with BG about Ashby. He's the only negative associated with the club, IMO.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 11:30:02 am »
I like Sparks also. He is knowledgeable and intelligent. Agree with BG about Ashby. He's the only negative associated with the club, IMO.
That's all pretty much how I feel.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 12:27:29 am »
An upsetting and gruesome series of tweets from a reporter at a Montgomery Biscuits minor league game tonight:

Melanie Newman ‏@MelanieLynneN  3 hours ago
A small girl just took a heated foul ball to the face, is being carried out immediately. The case for extended nets continues.

Ushers are still cleaning blood off two rows of seats. Really hurting for the family and their little girl right now...

Melanie Newman ‏@MelanieLynneN  2 hours ago
Update on the little girl: ushers were in the stands to clean... but also searching for one of her eyes

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 12:14:46 pm »
An upsetting and gruesome series of tweets from a reporter at a Montgomery Biscuits minor league game tonight:

A small girl just took a heated foul ball to the face, is being carried out immediately. The case for extended nets continues.

Ushers are still cleaning blood off two rows of seats. Really hurting for the family and their little girl right now...

Melanie Newman ‏@MelanieLynneN  2 hours ago
Update on the little girl: ushers were in the stands to clean... but also searching for one of her eyes
That's awful. Hope she recovers.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:59 pm »
That's awful. Hope she recovers.

Those tweets by that reporter (which were picked up by other reporters) have apparently now been deleted. Tyler Maun, who writes for milb.com, was one of those other reporters who were re-tweeting this last night is now saying a person was injured at the game but it wasn't a child.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »
After watching an infant nearly get obliterated by a screamer at the Dell Diamond (if not for a kid one row up with a glove who caught the ball three inches from the baby's head) I am never going to sit with my kids outside the net.  Behind the net, outfield, or upper deck for us.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 05:47:55 am »
After watching an infant nearly get obliterated by a screamer at the Dell Diamond (if not for a kid one row up with a glove who caught the ball three inches from the baby's head) I am never going to sit with my kids outside the net.  Behind the net, outfield, or upper deck for us.

This is the same protocol I've been following.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 08:23:15 pm »
Those tweets by that reporter (which were picked up by other reporters) have apparently now been deleted. Tyler Maun, who writes for milb.com, was one of those other reporters who were re-tweeting this last night is now saying a person was injured at the game but it wasn't a child.

Story from AL.Com

an errant line drive went into the stands above the home-team dugout near third base, hitting a fan in the head. Newman initially described the victim as a child; after being contacted by a relative, she said the person hit was a young adult...

Little information was immediately available about the victim or the scope of her injuries. However, a fundraising drive opened Monday morning identifies her as Megan Floyd of Montgomery. Jason Bodiford of Wetumpka, who describes himself as Floyd's uncle, says on the www.gofundme.com page that she is "is having multiple surgeries due to being hit in her eye by a line drive foul ball" and "is in great spirits and still loves the game." The drive has a goal of $10,000.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:47 am »
From the article:

So, now her focus is on moving forward.

I see what they did there.

and:

The Montgomery Biscuits did not want to comment on this story. Floyd and her family said they have not heard from the organization.

That's not a good look.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »
Brian McTaggart ‏@brianmctaggart  13 minutes ago
Astros president Reid Ryan said the team will expand netting to the end of the dugouts at Minute Maid Park this year.