Author Topic: West Palm Beach update  (Read 5293 times)

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
West Palm Beach update
« on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Re: West Palm Beach update
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:15 pm »
Always ready to go to a game.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:17:26 am »
It's the called the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:41:36 am »
It will become the closest Spring Training facility to the Miami metro area, so you'll likely get some attendance from there.   5 teams within easy driving distance is convenient too, for vacation planning.

Current ST Map:
http://www.bullpenbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Grapefruit.png

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:03 am »
It's the called the Ballpark of the Palm Beaches?

Or, the "Estadio de béisbol of the Playas de Palma", where you may or may not find a jugador of five herramientas. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 12:23:12 pm »
It will become the closest Spring Training facility to the Miami metro area, so you'll likely get some attendance from there.   5 teams within easy driving distance is convenient too, for vacation planning.

Current ST Map:
http://www.bullpenbrian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Grapefruit.png

there is nothing easy about driving to ST venues in Florida. that is one of several reasons I prefer Arizona.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 09:34:39 am »

there is nothing easy about driving to ST venues in Florida. that is one of several reasons I prefer Arizona.

I agree. Arizona is much easier to go from camp to camp.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 11:39:24 am »
I haven't been to Kissimmee in years, but this sounds like an enormous upgrade despite some preferences to Arizona.  I'm very excited about this - better climate, easier travel, better town amenities, other venues nearby, better golf (?).

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 01:09:39 pm »
I agree. Arizona is much easier to go from camp to camp.

Of course it is, they're all in the same goddamn metropolitan area.

A friend of mine is an Uber driver in Phoenix, come to think of it. He'd be great for day games as he's usually pretty sober before five or so. I still don't understand how the time works out there so I'd have a hard time knowing just when happy hour begins.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:29:21 pm »
Of course it is, they're all in the same goddamn metropolitan area.

sort of. my comment went as much to the roads as it did to distance or time. it is a long way to Surprise from Scotsdale, but it is not a hassle getting there.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:39:47 pm by JimR »

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 02:03:29 pm »
I still don't understand how the time works out there so I'd have a hard time knowing just when happy hour begins.

5:00 occurs at 4:30, I think, except during Standard Time, when it occurs ... uh ... two hours earlier, or later. Depending. Or thereabouts. Except on MLK Day, when it happens at approximately 7:05.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:01 pm »
sort of. my comment went as much to the roads as it did to distance or time. it is a long was to Surprise from Scotsdale, but it is not a hassle getting there.

I have never, ever had a problem getting to a game or otherwise traveling around in Florida during spring training. Of course, I don't insist on driving up and down 192 like everyone else seems to so perhaps I seize a bit of an advantage there.

Also, and this is just me, but for some inexplicable reason I like Florida and thoroughly enjoy driving around in Florida. There is nothing quite like driving through an orange grove in full bloom or checking out the spooky land of the lost around Okeechobee. I would infinitely rather drive around Florida than Phoenix. Plus, it's less likely that some lunatic will try to deport my wife or incarcerate her in some fucked up desert Guantanamo.
Y todo lo que sube baja

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 02:23:20 pm »
I have never, ever had a problem getting to a game or otherwise traveling around in Florida during spring training. Of course, I don't insist on driving up and down 192 like everyone else seems to so perhaps I seize a bit of an advantage there.

Also, and this is just me, but for some inexplicable reason I like Florida and thoroughly enjoy driving around in Florida. There is nothing quite like driving through an orange grove in full bloom or checking out the spooky land of the lost around Okeechobee. I would infinitely rather drive around Florida than Phoenix. Plus, it's less likely that some lunatic will try to deport my wife or incarcerate her in some fucked up desert Guantanamo.

I also like Florida, but I'm a beach kind of girl and goes with someone that won't let me drive (and I am cool with that).  Plus, Ty in Tampa is in those parts and he's fun.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:33:23 pm »
I also like Florida, but I'm a beach kind of girl and goes with someone that won't let me drive (and I am cool with that).  Plus, Ty in Tampa is in those parts and he's fun.

He aight. I mean, if you like people who are reasonably sane. If not you always have

This is rolling out fast right now folks...not in the future...announced two weeks ago by the d o j at the U n conference and now another American czar heading up a program to hunt and track Americans, not illegals or terrorists

Again, I love how she spaces out acronyms that she thinks might trigger something at the N S A.
Y todo lo que sube baja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

I never had a problem getting to a game either. it is much easier in AZ. and, Chuck, I am not talking about driving around seeing the sights. I am talking about to and from games.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:42:28 pm by JimR »

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:43:53 pm »
I never had a problem getting to a game either. it is much easier in AZ. and, Chuck, I am not talking about driving around seeing the sights. I am talking about to and from games.

Of course it's easier, all of the stadiums are in the same goddamn metropolitan area.
Y todo lo que sube baja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 03:05:59 pm »
Of course it's easier, all of the stadiums are in the same goddamn metropolitan area.

I fear an infinite loop so I will depart.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 08:47:28 pm »
I like Florida too. But, that has nothing to do with Spring Training.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »
I haven't been to Kissimmee in years, but this sounds like an enormous upgrade despite some preferences to Arizona.  I'm very excited about this - better climate, easier travel, better town amenities, other venues nearby, better golf (?).

Kissimmee and specifically the surrounding area sucks.   Good riddance to that shithole. 

I look forward to checking out the new place once it opens.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 10:55:33 pm »
I like Florida too. But, that has nothing to do with Spring Training.

Is there anyone who is confused about this? Jim says that it's difficult to get around in Florida. Before I can point out that it stands to reason since in Arizona every stadium effectively is located in the same city, Happy, the Pinocchio of Jim's brown nosers, chimes in to confirm helpfully that it is in fact easier to get from place to place in one regular city than in one large state.

Jim says that's not what he meant, that he's talking about the roads. At this point I should have come clean and admitted that while Phoenix does have a modern system of roadways befitting such a forward thinking metropolis, Florida is not so lucky, In fact, when I go from Dunedin to Bradenton I hitch a ride in a rum runner's skiff. When I go from Clearwater to Lakeland I re-blaze a Seminole trail in my worn moccasins. And when I go from Fort Myers to Port Charlotte I often interrupt a frog gigging expedition and catch a ride on an airboat.

So I'm beginning to see Jim's point. And Happy's. And I can see why you, too, like Florida.
Y todo lo que sube baja

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:00 am »
Is there anyone who is confused about this? Jim says that it's difficult to get around in Florida. Before I can point out that it stands to reason since in Arizona every stadium effectively is located in the same city, Happy, the Pinocchio of Jim's brown nosers, chimes in to confirm helpfully that it is in fact easier to get from place to place in one regular city than in one large state.

Jim says that's not what he meant, that he's talking about the roads. At this point I should have come clean and admitted that while Phoenix does have a modern system of roadways befitting such a forward thinking metropolis, Florida is not so lucky, In fact, when I go from Dunedin to Bradenton I hitch a ride in a rum runner's skiff. When I go from Clearwater to Lakeland I re-blaze a Seminole trail in my worn moccasins. And when I go from Fort Myers to Port Charlotte I often interrupt a frog gigging expedition and catch a ride on an airboat.

So I'm beginning to see Jim's point. And Happy's. And I can see why you, too, like Florida.
Who peed in your cheerios?
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 05:56:50 am »

I like to take my hang glider to Bok Gardens and launch off of the top of the Carillon. On a calm day I can get to Lakeland, Kissimmee, and Winter Haven. On a windy day I get to Clear Water, Cocoa, and Port St. Lucie.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 06:21:33 am »

I have no ideas what is going on with you, but something is. I hope it gets better soon.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:01 am »
Jim says that's not what he meant, that he's talking about the roads. At this point I should have come clean and admitted that while Phoenix does have a modern system of roadways befitting such a forward thinking metropolis,

Good sightlines from the overpasses, as well.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:27 am »
now we need mediation?
forever is composed entirely of nows

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 08:09:31 am »
I like to take my hang glider to Bok Gardens and launch off of the top of the Carillon. On a calm day I can get to Lakeland, Kissimmee, and Winter Haven. On a windy day I get to Clear Water, Cocoa, and Port St. Lucie.

Yeah, but airboats are awesome.  They make you feel like Burt Reynolds in White Lightning...or Gator, which while technically a sequel, many feel is the stronger installment. 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 08:15:48 am »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one whose Wheaties you piss in.

I bet that air boat is fun though.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 08:19:04 am »
Yeah, but airboats are awesome.  They make you feel like Burt Reynolds in White Lightning...or Gator, which while technically a sequel, many feel is the stronger installment. 

Have you ever seen Archer?    Dude loves Gator.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 08:30:35 am »

Yes, that was my reference.  It's from the episode "Pipeline Fever", where Archer and Lana go to the swamp to stop an eco-terrorist who turns out to be Lana's former lover. 

Archer is almost as awesome as airboats.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 08:39:13 am »
Yes, that was my reference.  It's from the episode "Pipeline Fever", where Archer and Lana go to the swamp to stop an eco-terrorist who turns out to be Lana's former lover. 

Archer is almost as awesome as airboats.

I don't usually get y'alls references but that one is one I love.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 09:47:16 am »

It's an allegory about Communism, and - SPOILER ALERT - it sucks!
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 10:26:43 am »
It's an allegory about Communism, and - SPOILER ALERT - it sucks!

Cry havoc, and let slip the hogs of war!

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 10:49:12 am »
Cry havoc, and let slip the hogs of war!

First of all, it's Y-Y-Zed, and second of all, no - it's humanly impossible.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 02:40:27 pm »

I bet that Coach laughed his ass off about your Pinocchio line, because I sure did. I agree with him usually because he's usually right. But not always. However, you've got to go all the way back to our Octavio Dotel-starter or bully argument, wherein we disagreed. I too love Florida, particularly for spring training. I spent many a drunken/drug addled day going to games during the day and hooting and hollering all night. I've only been to Arizona twice for ST, whereas I've been to Florida probably 15-20 times for ST. I was just amazed at how close the camps were to each other in AZ.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
I bet that Coach laughed his ass off about your Pinocchio line, because I sure did. I agree with him usually because he's usually right. But not always. However, you've got to go all the way back to our Octavio Dotel-starter or bully argument, wherein we disagreed. I too love Florida, particularly for spring training. I spent many a drunken/drug addled day going to games during the day and hooting and hollering all night. I've only been to Arizona twice for ST, whereas I've been to Florida probably 15-20 times for ST. I was just amazed at how close the camps were to each other in AZ.

no, I did not laugh. like others, I wondered what is wrong in his life right now.