Author Topic: Houston Foreclosure Auctions  (Read 1439 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Houston Foreclosure Auctions
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:58:55 am »
Anyone ever been to one?  Can you give me some scoop?  (Like where are they and what to bring)

Thanks!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Houston Foreclosure Auctions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:09:47 am »
Real estate?  I have some vague notion that they're on the courthouse steps on the first Tuesday of each month, and that you have to have cash on hand.  I could be wrong about the date and place, but I think I'm right about the cash part.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:57 am »
Real estate?  I have some vague notion that they're on the courthouse steps on the first Tuesday of each month, and that you have to have cash on hand.  I could be wrong about the date and place, but I think I'm right about the cash part.

You are correct, thanks.  I was having trouble finding info, then I managed to dig some out of a dusty corner of the interwebs.  Full purchase price in cash required, and an atmosphere akin to a food delivery in Bakara Market.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:41:20 am »
I have a a vague recollection of hearing some young real estate lawyers talk about going down to the courthouse and pretend to be bidders to ensure that the client's property doesn't get sold while the client is restructuring financing with the bank. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:21:03 pm »
I have a a vague recollection of hearing some young real estate lawyers talk about going down to the courthouse and pretend to be bidders to ensure that the client's property doesn't get sold while the client is restructuring financing with the bank.

That would be unethical so I have to assume that you misheard.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Houston Foreclosure Auctions
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:36:04 pm »
That would be unethical so I have to assume that you misheard.

Plus it doesn't work. Typically if there is bidding from other than the lender, the trustee will conditionally strike off the property to the successful bidder and adjourn the sale for a short time period to allow the successful bidder to tender good funds. If the successful bidder fails to do so, the trustee resumes the sale and eventually sells the property to a bona fide bidder or to the lender.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:55:11 am »
Plus it doesn't work. Typically if there is bidding from other than the lender, the trustee will conditionally strike off the property to the successful bidder and adjourn the sale for a short time period to allow the successful bidder to tender good funds. If the successful bidder fails to do so, the trustee resumes the sale and eventually sells the property to a bona fide bidder or to the lender.

From what my research tells me, the auctions in Houston aren't run by experienced auctioneers.  Apparently, all sorts of shenanigans go on under their noses as they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:43:45 am »
The "Auctioneer" is technically the trustee under the deed of trust, though it's probably some flunky from the bank foreclosing (unless it's a tax lien).  Because they can bid in the value of the note, they would expect to walk away with the property.  I suspect that there's no requirement that the "auction" follow any particular format.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley