Author Topic: 2015 Draft Thread  (Read 82426 times)

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
2015 Draft Thread
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:50:30 am »
Why the fuck not?

6'2" RHP Beau Burrows from Weatherford HS (and an Aggie commit) stands out at PG showcase.

morningwood75

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Draft Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 02:29:48 pm »
Guys to keep an eye on who will most likely be first rounders...

HS OF Kyle Tucker, brother of Preston

HS OF Ryan Johnson, out of College Station

HS RHP Kyle Molnar

HS LHP Justin Hooper

HS OF Daz Cameron, son of Mike

HS SS Brendan Rodgers

HS SS John Aiello

HS SS Nick Shumpert

HS OF Jahmai Jones

Duke RHP Michael Matuella

LSU IF Alex Bregman

Florida State OF D.J. Stewart

Vandy RHP Carson Fulmer

Virginia LHP Nate Kirby

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:44:41 pm »
Hard to imagine a baseball-playing Shumpert not being related to Terry.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:16:32 pm »
Hard to imagine a baseball-playing Shumpert not being related to Terry.

Son of. Also a cousin to Red Sox uber prospect Mookie Betts.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:06:56 pm »
This thread just got a whole lot more relevant, with Aiken saying Fuck You. So, who are the real creme-de-la-creme guys from the list above? I know Matuella's name was mentioned as a candidate for 1-1; who else? Bregman?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:31 pm »
This thread just got a whole lot more relevant, with Aiken saying Fuck You. So, who are the real creme-de-la-creme guys from the list above? I know Matuella's name was mentioned as a candidate for 1-1; who else? Bregman?

I've seen Daz Cameron at the top of several lists.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:31:15 am »
No doubt other contenders will arise during the next year.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:43:02 am »
Considering that the Astros are likely to have 2 top 5 picks (potentially as high as 1.1 and 1.2 or 1.2 and 1.3), a comp round pick, and a high 2nd round pick, they could very well have a $20M draft pool in the 2015 draft...  And that has me kinda curious... How is the 2015 draft looking as a whole?!? (Strong draft, weak draft, deep draft, etc...)?!? Other comments on the 2015 draft?

Thanks - I'll hang up and listen.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:23 am »
Considering that the Astros are likely to have 2 top 5 picks (potentially as high as 1.1 and 1.2 or 1.2 and 1.3), a comp round pick, and a high 2nd round pick, they could very well have a $20M draft pool in the 2015 draft...  And that has me kinda curious... How is the 2015 draft looking as a whole?!? (Strong draft, weak draft, deep draft, etc...)?!? Other comments on the 2015 draft?

Thanks - I'll hang up and listen.

I haven't heard anything really one way or another.  It's not a weak draft and doesn't seem to have a Strasburg-level prospect (at this point), but does have some good players at the top.  Where this year's draft was noted as being very deep in LHP and HS pitching, in general, I don't know if there are any such areas next year.  I could be wrong, I just don't remember reading anything like that. 

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:00:34 am »
2015 just got an intriguing wrinkle: Phil Bickford, who went 10th overall in the 2013 draft but didn't sign, is leaving Cal State-Fullerton to enroll at a juco (presumably) and be eligible for the draft a year sooner. From BA article:
Assuming Bickford winds up in the 2015 draft pool, he has a chance to become the No. 1 overall pick. No other obvious front-runner has established himself, and Bickford already has a top-10 pedigree. But he still must refine his secondary stuff and prove that he can handle a starting role, because his stuff was considerably more electric in a relief role this summer than it was when he started in the spring.

There's more good analysis there, worth a read.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:40:06 pm »
BA's story updated now, with quotes from Cal-Fullerton's coach, who probably won't be sending Bickford any Christmas cards:
“Am I sad that he left? Yes,” Fullerton coach Rick Vanderhook told BA on Tuesday. “Am I upset? Not really. Does it hurt us? It hurts us, but it might work out pretty good, as we go. I have two guys better than him—and two guys that want to play for the team. Our program is not for individuals. If he wanted to be an individual, it’s probably best that he went somewhere else.”

Vanderhook said Bickford did not inform him of his decision to leave the program until this weekend, leaving the Titans no time to find another player to replace him.

“He has a big scholarship, and three days before school, you can’t replace Phil,” Vanderhook said. “I don’t know anybody who can get somebody into school in two days. I can’t. I just wish he would have given us the ability to go get some other guys. That’s selfishness.”

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:14:48 am »
Kylie McDaniel of Fangraphs with his "way too early" edition of the top 51 draft prospects with this noted in his writeup:

One of the reasons you’ll keep hearing about the Astros and Aiken is because Aiken’s advisor, Casey Close’s Excel Sports Management, represents 6 of my top 15 prospects right now, with a couple of the top 15 prospects still uncommitted to advisors.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:39:29 am »
Did the deadline already pass for Aiken to file a grievance?

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »
Did the deadline already pass for Aiken to file a grievance?

Yes.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 10:31:35 pm »
Has he already enrolled at a JC, or can he still do that?  I assume school has started.

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:19 pm »
Has he already enrolled at a JC, or can he still do that?  I assume school has started.

Some JC in Arizona, was what I read.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:49 am »
I was out of town last week...were there any media reports about the grievance (lack thereof) and any implied narratives? 

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »

He's "expected" to enroll at Yavapai JC, per the Fangraphs article I linked to above.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 09:20:18 am »
BA article on Duke RHP Michael Matuella, who's expected to be an upper-1st-round pick.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 05:49:31 pm »
BA article on Duke RHP Michael Matuella, who's expected to be an upper-1st-round pick.

I'm thinking he won't be available when the Astros draft. It's been awhile since anyone said that.