Author Topic: Boy, this study really likes Brett Phillips.  (Read 2432 times)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Boy, this study really likes Brett Phillips.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »
http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/10/22/7030947/tcb-daily-boil-projecting-minor-league-hitter-success

I don't know if he is that good but I liked what I saw in Gville two seasons ago.  Mature kid who worked hard and has a great attitude.  Had a college aged OF on the team tell me - "His glove is amazing, if his bat ever catches up, look out."  His bat caught up this year. 
Always ready to go to a game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »
I don't know if he is that good but I liked what I saw in Gville two seasons ago.  Mature kid who worked hard and has a great attitude.  Had a college aged OF on the team tell me - "His glove is amazing, if his bat ever catches up, look out."  His bat caught up this year. 

When you say "glove" it includes his total defense I assume because he has a +arm I understand.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:13:38 pm »
Yes his arm is very good.
Always ready to go to a game.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:55:41 pm »
System doesn't account for the Lancaster Inflation Effect (LIE). Note this in the comments section from the system's developer:

JAVIER doesn’t account for home park, so if the Astros have good home fields in the lower minors (I don’t know) that can throw off the ranking as well.

I do like Phillips, though.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
System doesn't account for the Lancaster Inflation Effect (LIE). Note this in the comments section from the system's developer:

I do like Phillips, though.

OK but keep in mind Correa played his entire but abbreviated season at Lancaster and Phillips spent about 4xs more time at QC in 2014.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:23:38 pm »
OK but keep in mind Correa played his entire but abbreviated season at Lancaster and Phillips spent about 4xs more time at QC in 2014.

Good point.

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:06 pm »
Brian McTaggart ⚾️ ‏@brianmctaggart  2 hours ago
"Phillips probably has the best bat speed of anybody in our organization," Luhnow on Brett Phillips.

Uncle Charlie

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:15:18 am »
Reid Ryan like Phillips too.

From a Q&A with Ryan yesterday:
Houston Astros @astros  ·  22h 22 hours ago
Q11: RT @BaseballCop75: We all know about guys like Correa and Appel. Who do you think going to be that surprise prospect? #AskReidRyan

Houston Astros @astros  ·  22h 22 hours ago
Q11-A: Good to hear from you Tim. Keep an eye on Brett Phillips, our 2014 Astros Minor League Player of the Year. #AskReidRyan
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.