Author Topic: United Airlines starting to understand why they suck  (Read 11957 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
United Airlines starting to understand why they suck
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:44:59 pm »
Finally, they might start to crack down on the "I never check a bag" idiots who make flying miserable and cause countless flight delays.  It's a start, at least.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Re: United Airlines starting to understand why they suck
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 09:39:16 am »
"This new program is primarily to drive new revenue and will likely delay the boarding process even more unless better education is provided around what is and is not acceptable," said Brian Kelly, an industry watcher who writes about flying trends at ThePointsGuy.com.

But, he added, having fewer bags on board could also be good for passengers.

"I've been whacked more times than I can count by people loaded down with their life's worldly possessions," Kelly said.

What an idiot this guy is.  Any delays will be short term, while the selfish assholes who bring oversized bags on board passengers adjust to the new regs.  The checked bag fee is well known, and should be factored into the decision-making process of which airline to fly.  I choose to fly Southwest whenever possible because they check bags for free, which means most people with oversized bags choose to check them, which speeds up the boarding process.

I am reminded of pretty much every episode of (the original British) Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.  The dying restaurant he swoops in to save almost always is a slave to its crappy old menu because that's what their regular customers want.  Well, those selfish assholes don't spend enough in the restaurant to keep it afloat, so you might as well jettison them and the menu, because they're going to lose it anyway when the restaurant closes.  Pandering to the pricks who unilaterally decide that its ok for everyone else to suffer for their personal convenience is not a way to endear yourself to the non-prickish flying public.

United will continue to suck for many other reasons, but if they stick to their guns on this one, they'll have my support (and maybe my custom if they get this and other things right).
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:00:02 am »
As you say, United sucks for many, many reasons, but this is a step in the right direction.  They're realizing that carry-on bags are the biggest single reason for delays, exasperated flight crews and grumpy passengers.  Perhaps they finally woke up and said "wow, Southwest is really kicking our ass...I wonder why?"

As for flying United, I avoid them whenever possible flying domestically.  The Company, however, views them as preferred.  However, they stopped flying to Bangkok, instead giving all their business to their "partner" ANA.  Since it's damn near impossible to get a flight that runs through Tokyo on ANA without like 9 years advance, I'll be flying Qatar Airways to Bangkok at the end of the month.  Apart from going the other direction, there appear to be multiple perks.  First, everyone I know says Qatar is hands down top three in terms of service.  Secondly, their business class lounge in Doha is fucking ridiculously sweet, and since I have 9 hours to kill there each way (because I'll be going the wrong way), I plan to take full advantage.  Finally, their *business class* seats are the same as United's *first class*.  So I'll get more room for my XXL ass (not that there wasn't enough on United, mind you, just the more room the better).  If all goes well, Qatar will be my preferred airline to Bangkok and Kuwait. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 10:04:36 am »
Ditto on United being "preferred" by my company but not by me.  I'm off to Limeyland later this month on a personal trip (old man on his last legs, sadly), and I'm flying BA.  The free bags and free booze is a no-brainer.  Plus, United are still running those shitbox 767s* on their IAH to LHR route, which were crap 10 years ago.

* When they switch to the promised Screamliners, the aircraft will be infinitely better, but their economy and premium economy seats are not wide enough for my "L" arse, let alone anyone with an "X" in front of it.  It was pretty uncomfortable on a relatively short flight from Denver - I could not imagine suffering those seats on a long haul flight.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:07 am »
They're realizing that carry-on bags are the biggest single reason for delays, exasperated flight crews and grumpy passengers.  Perhaps they finally woke up and said "wow, Southwest is really kicking our ass...I wonder why?"

Bullshit. I've never had a flight delayed for carry-on bags. I've seen approximately one flight crew member give a shit about carry-on luggage. It may make passengers grumpy but I'm sure the current level of passenger grumpiness is far less than the new wave of grumpiness from the self entitled assholes being required to check their bags.

It's about the money.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:35:10 am »
Business guy with 3+ carry ons drives me nuts.  Especially when he decides to spends 5 minutes filling up an entire overhead bin, and then puts NOTHING under his seat, on a flight that is completely full.  Fucking inconsiderate piece of shit.

The new "rule" is the same rule that has been in place forever, just never enforced.  1 carry-on, and 1 item that fits under your seat.  My 1 beef is the size of the item that you are allowed to put in the overhead.  My suit case fits perfectly fine wheels out in every overhead bin (sans the ERJ's that you gate check anyway).  Going by their new rules it is about 1.5 inches too large.

I will gladly buy another piece of luggage to comply, IF they are actually going to enforce this new rule.  This needs to be system wide, and enforced at every gate.  Having some GA's in enforce it at certain places, and others making exceptions will ruin it.  Then you end up with aholes arguing about how they were allowed to do XYZ at 1 airport, why cant they do it now, which in turn ruins all the time savings.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:10 am »
Then you end up with aholes arguing about how they were allowed to do XYZ at 1 airport, why cant they do it now, which in turn ruins all the time savings.

This inconsistency will happen on the return leg of a flight. Passengers will be furious.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:14 am »
Bullshit. I've never had a flight delayed for carry-on bags. I've seen approximately one flight crew member give a shit about carry-on luggage. It may make passengers grumpy but I'm sure the current level of passenger grumpiness is far less than the new wave of grumpiness from the self entitled assholes being required to check their bags.

Then I have to question if you've ever flown on a commercial airplane.  To say you never had to stand in line at security while some dickweed has to unpack and unpack and unpack his three bags, briefcase, backpack and stroller....or sat there on the plane while a line of passengers waits for some yahoo to stuff his bag into the already full overhead bin...or that you've never seen the last handful of passengers walk up and down the aisle looking for baggage space...or that you've never had to wait and wait and wait to unload the plane while the idiots have to unload their shit, means you've never flown.

It's about the money.

Yeah, it's all about the money in the sense that when that plane's stuck on the ground waiting for the assholes, the airline is not making money.  It's all about money in that passengers made miserable by the assholes means losing customers, yes, it's about money.  It's not, however, about baggage fees.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:01:20 am by HudsonHawk »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:02:53 am »
This inconsistency will happen on the return leg of a flight. Passengers will be furious.

Then those assholes will have to get the fuck over themselves.  The universe doesn't revolve around them.  It's high time they learned that lesson.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
What sort of frequent traveler has to pay to check a bag?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:06 am »
What sort of frequent traveler has to pay to check a bag?

Depends on the fequency.  If you fly say 6 or 8 times a year from Houston to say Los Angeles, you have to pay to check bags. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 11:07:50 am »
Speaking of Airlines, Delta finally did the inevitable.  The miles you earn for Delta flight will be based solely on the price of your ticket.  A round trip $350 ATL to LAX flight would net 1/2 as many miles as a last minute $700 ATL to TPA flight, despite one flight being 4000 miles and the other 800.

Probably just a matter of time until AA and UA go this route. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:12:48 am »
Depends on the fequency.  If you fly say 6 or 8 times a year from Houston to say Los Angeles, you have to pay to check bags. 

And frequency of using the same airline.  I used to be Platinum on Continental, but now I'm a zero on United.  Similarly, even when I was anointed on Continental, if I'd had to fly American or (heaven forbid) Delta I'd be statusless just the same.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 11:15:26 am »
Speaking of Airlines, Delta finally did the inevitable.  The miles you earn for Delta flight will be based solely on the price of your ticket.  A round trip $350 ATL to LAX flight would net 1/2 as many miles as a last minute $700 ATL to TPA flight, despite one flight being 4000 miles and the other 800.

This is not surprising.  It's not much different than getting more points for business or first class.  There is a reward for those who are willing to pay more.  Can't says I blame the airlines.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
Agree.  It upsets the mileage run crowd, but it makes sense. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:32 am »
Agree.  It upsets the mileage run crowd, but it makes sense. 

They should just cut the crap and reward people based directly on dollars spent, just like they all do with their credit cards.  That way, you'd get extra points on the fee you paid for checking your bag.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:07 pm »
They should just cut the crap and reward people based directly on dollars spent, just like they all do with their credit cards.  That way, you'd get extra points on the fee you paid for checking your bag.

That is what Delta is doing, as for  bag fees, you get points if you use your branded credit card to check them... of course if you have that credit card then your bags fly "free."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »

I agree.  But they've now linked their rewards program with "miles" and some people just will never understand that 800 statute miles flown does not necessarily have to equal 800 airline reward program miles.  It confuses their carry-on brain.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 12:15:51 pm »

Then I have to question if you've ever flown on a commercial airplane.  To say you never had to stand in line at security while some dickweed has to unpack and unpack and unpack his three bags, briefcase, backpack and stroller....or sat there on the plane while a line of passengers waits for some yahoo to stuff his bag into the already full overhead bin...or that you've never seen the last handful of passengers walk up and down the aisle looking for baggage space...or that you've never had to wait and wait and wait to unload the plane while the idiots have to unload their shit, means you've never flown.

Yeah, it's all about the money in the sense that when that plane's stuck on the ground waiting for the assholes, the airline is not making money.  It's all about money in that passengers made miserable by the assholes means losing customers, yes, it's about money.  It's not, however, about baggage fees.

You caught me. I've never actually flown on an airplane.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
You caught me. I've never actually flown on an airplane.

Flying to and from and around in Latin America you see some pretty entertaining shit. A while back I was on a flight and everyone else, and I mean everyone, felt like they needed to order two (or three, or FOUR) drinks at a time. Could I get two cokes, an orange juice and a coffee? You know? Seriously.

And yet I have never, ever witnessed any significant issue or delay involving people dicking around with their carry-on luggage.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »
Flying to and from and around in Latin America you see some pretty entertaining shit. A while back I was on a flight and everyone else, and I mean everyone, felt like they needed to order two (or three, or FOUR) drinks at a time. Could I get two cokes, an orange juice and a coffee? You know? Seriously.

And yet I have never, ever witnessed any significant issue or delay involving people dicking around with their carry-on luggage.

I'm shocked that you deign to fly commercial.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:57 pm »
As you say, United sucks for many, many reasons, but this is a step in the right direction.  They're realizing that carry-on bags are the biggest single reason for delays, exasperated flight crews and grumpy passengers.  Perhaps they finally woke up and said "wow, Southwest is really kicking our ass...I wonder why?"

As for flying United, I avoid them whenever possible flying domestically.  The Company, however, views them as preferred.  However, they stopped flying to Bangkok, instead giving all their business to their "partner" ANA.  Since it's damn near impossible to get a flight that runs through Tokyo on ANA without like 9 years advance, I'll be flying Qatar Airways to Bangkok at the end of the month.  Apart from going the other direction, there appear to be multiple perks.  First, everyone I know says Qatar is hands down top three in terms of service.  Secondly, their business class lounge in Doha is fucking ridiculously sweet, and since I have 9 hours to kill there each way (because I'll be going the wrong way), I plan to take full advantage.  Finally, their *business class* seats are the same as United's *first class*.  So I'll get more room for my XXL ass (not that there wasn't enough on United, mind you, just the more room the better).  If all goes well, Qatar will be my preferred airline to Bangkok and Kuwait. 
I just got back from Bangkok on United ... I heard in Tokyo that they had discontinued the service.  I will be headed there 3-4 more times this year, so any feedback on your Qatar experience would be welcome.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 02:00:22 pm »

UA has already laid the groundwork with their qualifying rules being based on expenditure.
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 02:05:07 pm »
I just got back from Bangkok on United ... I heard in Tokyo that they had discontinued the service.  I will be headed there 3-4 more times this year, so any feedback on your Qatar experience would be welcome.

Not airline related, but how was Bangkok?  Any issues with the protests or disruptions?

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 03:48:25 pm »
Not airline related, but how was Bangkok?  Any issues with the protests or disruptions?
It was fine.  That is how they do politics down there.  Just don't get curious.  As of Monday, all the downtown protestors had relocated to Lumpini Park, clearing intersections on Rachadamri and at Asok/Sukhumvit.  The army was reportedly moving in to settle things down (read: counterbalance the police).  The "caretaker PM" was still refusing to answer corruption charges associated with the rice pledging fiasco and most normal people were just quietly going about their business.  I did hear that there was a state department security briefing on Monday, but I do not have any info on it.

What takes you to Bangkok?
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 04:51:23 pm »
It was fine.  That is how they do politics down there.  Just don't get curious.  As of Monday, all the downtown protestors had relocated to Lumpini Park, clearing intersections on Rachadamri and at Asok/Sukhumvit.  The army was reportedly moving in to settle things down (read: counterbalance the police).  The "caretaker PM" was still refusing to answer corruption charges associated with the rice pledging fiasco and most normal people were just quietly going about their business.  I did hear that there was a state department security briefing on Monday, but I do not have any info on it.

What takes you to Bangkok?

I'll be there on oil business.  I was supposed to go in January, but it was the height of the protests, and the company said "not right now".  Not because it was unsafe or anything, but because they didn't know how disruptive it was going to be.  There was a chance I'd get there and be stuck in a hotel room.

I know they went ahead with the elections last month, but it will be several months before they've finished voting and get the votes counted.  I keep a keen eye on any travel warnings, so I'm sure I'll hear if anything changes.  I don't think it will be a problem.  As you say, the Thai's are generally pretty happy people and just like to go on about their everyday business.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 09:08:24 pm »

I honestly haven't either.  I've flown my whole life (mom was a Delta flight attendant for 35+ years), and I think the airlines do a decent job building in dicking-around time in the boarding process, United included.  If UA upgraded their fleet, even just a little bit, I'd have no issues with them.  The other hassles of air travel (maintenence delays, oversleeping pilots, lost luggage, inefficient check-in lines) are par for the course.  Shit happens.  When it happens to you it sucks more.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:02 am »
I honestly haven't either.  I've flown my whole life (mom was a Delta flight attendant for 35+ years), and I think the airlines do a decent job building in dicking-around time in the boarding process, United included.  If UA upgraded their fleet, even just a little bit, I'd have no issues with them.  The other hassles of air travel (maintenence delays, oversleeping pilots, lost luggage, inefficient check-in lines) are par for the course.  Shit happens.  When it happens to you it sucks more.

This is my point.  Just the fact that they have to build in dicking around time.  The biggest reason for the dicking around time is carry-on luggage.  The biggest reason for long lines in security and why you have to get to the airport 2 hours before departure is carry-on luggage.  The biggest reason it takes 20 minutes to unload a plane is carry-on luggage.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:55 am »
Could any of you international flyers give some advice.   I've been Gold/Plat on UA/Continental since 04, but all my travels are domestic outside a couple Toronto/Caribbean trips....

Looks like I am going to be flying to Europe in May for a friends 40th bday. 

I was going to use miles for my flight.  All my points are UA/Star Alliance.  There is a direct IAH to Frankfurt. on Lufthansa (A380), 30K miles, in economy w/ no business class award availability. 

Or I could go through Atlanta or IAD, then get on either a lufthansa A330 or A340 in business class.  it is 70K miles.

Also, in 6'2", so would you spend the extra miles (which is no big deal to me, have plenty), and have a connection to fly business class, or just go with the direct on coach?

1 last 1, if you book an award ticket, is there any mechanism to buy up to business from economy if you are on an award ticket.  I don't think there is (at least flying on United miles on a lufthansa flight).

thanks

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 08:34:18 am »
Could any of you international flyers give some advice.   I've been Gold/Plat on UA/Continental since 04, but all my travels are domestic outside a couple Toronto/Caribbean trips....

I was going to use miles for my flight.  All my points are UA/Star Alliance.  There is a direct IAH to Frankfurt. on Lufthansa (A380), 30K miles, in economy w/ no business class award availability. 

Or I could go through Atlanta or IAD, then get on either a lufthansa A330 or A340 in business class.  it is 70K miles.

Also, in 6'2", so would you spend the extra miles (which is no big deal to me, have plenty), and have a connection to fly business class, or just go with the direct on coach?

1 last 1, if you book an award ticket, is there any mechanism to buy up to business from economy if you are on an award ticket.  I don't think there is (at least flying on United miles on a lufthansa flight).

thanks

I don't know anything about how to redeem miles, but I'd take the connection and go business class.  That's just me. 

And if you've gold or platinum on United flying domestic, kudos to you my friend...you pretty much live out of the airplane.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:43 am »

thanks

My $0.02:  Lufthansa coach is much bigger than domestic carriers so your 6'2" frame should not be a problem.  I'm 6'3" and have never had a problem.  Plus, beer and wine is free so there's that.  Personally, I'd choose the non-stop route because of that.

You can indeed upgrade from coach to business or FC after procuring your tix thru the awards program.  I just did so on my upcoming flight to Costa Rica on *gasp* United.  It was something like $70 to go from coach to business.

I am going to immediately order 4 drinks as soon as service starts to check Chuck's findings.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:32 am »
Appreciate the feedback HH & das.  I've got accustomed to at worst Economy Plus seating, & usually Exit row or 1st class on flights.  If the seats are on par with economy plus I think I would be OK, but 10 hours in the air...

So beer & wine is free, I assume they charge for booze? 

I should also add that 4 other folks going on the trip are on the LH direct flight, so I would be traveling with them.  I'm a bit worried about the Atlanta route, because it is a UA Express flight to Atlanta.  They only issues I have ever had with United all stem from flying Embraers. 

And yes HH, I am plat on UA on all domestic tix, usually about 70 segments a year, although not much this year so far.  I think some of my defending UA could be deemed stockholm syndrome.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:54 am »
Appreciate the feedback HH & das.  I've got accustomed to at worst Economy Plus seating, & usually Exit row or 1st class on flights.  If the seats are on par with economy plus I think I would be OK, but 10 hours in the air...

I should also add that 4 other folks going on the trip are on the LH direct flight, so I would be traveling with them.  I'm a bit worried about the Atlanta route, because it is a UA Express flight to Atlanta.  They only issues I have ever had with United all stem from flying Embraers. 

And yes HH, I am plat on UA on all domestic tix, usually about 70 segments a year, although not much this year so far.  I think some of my defending UA could be deemed stockholm syndrome.

I actually don't know re: spirits.  I've seen many served but don't remember an attendant ever whipping out a CC device but admittedly don't pay that much attention since i get what i want for free.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 10:48:06 am »

No, I think the booze is free too on the international flights.  And as for flying booze, I recommend cognac.  It puts me to sleep like nothing else.  Five or six of them puppies and I'm out like a light.  Of course, you could always bring your own, and in a pinch, Ny-Quil works.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 10:48:52 am »
...i get what i want for free.

I usually have to pay $2.99 per minute.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 11:46:45 am »
If you have the miles to fly someone else, especially a European carrier, and can do so in business you'd have to be a lunatic to fly United on a trans-oceanic trip.

I've found the same thing, that sometimes I arrange my itinerary and then check and see what it would cost in business and am pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a relatively insignificant amount more.

I'm gold on United, by the way, and I know a decent number of guys just on this site who fly a hell of a lot more than I do.
Y todo lo que sube baja

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 11:56:16 am »
Could any of you international flyers give some advice.   I've been Gold/Plat on UA/Continental since 04, but all my travels are domestic outside a couple Toronto/Caribbean trips....

I was going to use miles for my flight.  All my points are UA/Star Alliance.  There is a direct IAH to Frankfurt. on Lufthansa (A380), 30K miles, in economy w/ no business class award availability.  

Or I could go through Atlanta or IAD, then get on either a lufthansa A330 or A340 in business class.  it is 70K miles.

1 last 1, if you book an award ticket, is there any mechanism to buy up to business from economy if you are on an award ticket.  I don't think there is (at least flying on United miles on a lufthansa flight).

thanks
Lufthansa is way better ... better service, better food, free booze.  I always burn my UA FF points on Lufthansa when Europe is in the mix.

And I also try to book business on those free tickets.
Up in the Air

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 11:57:37 am »
If you have the miles to fly someone else, especially a European carrier, and can do so in business you'd have to be a lunatic to fly United on a trans-oceanic trip.

I've found the same thing, that sometimes I arrange my itinerary and then check and see what it would cost in business and am pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a relatively insignificant amount more.

I'm gold on United, by the way, and I know a decent number of guys just on this site who fly a hell of a lot more than I do.

Both options for the transatlantic portion would be on Lufthansa.  Difference is 1 is less miles and direct and I would be flying with the folks I am going to Belgium with, the other option is a connection on the East Coast to get on a different Lufthansa flight, but in business class.  For convenience and no chance of layover issues, Im leaning towards the direct in economy.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

I'm gold on United too, but that's 50,000 miles in a year, which is a lot if you're only flying domestic out of Houston.

WakePhil

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 03:48:49 pm »

Would be fitting. My travel over the past 9 years would have benefited from that arrangement (many very short, very expensive flights), but I no longer have to make the trip. Not going to lose any sleep over it though. The less ERJ in my life, the better.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 03:52:15 pm »
I'm gold on United too, but that's 50,000 miles in a year, which is a lot if you're only flying domestic out of Houston.
I had a down year last year at 120K.  I think there was one domestic flight involved. The long haul flights add up quickly.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »
The less ERJ in my life, the better.
Amen!!!

And one of the problems with flying in and out of Austin.
Up in the Air

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »
ERJ's amount to 90% of the issues that I have had with United.  And since it went from Continental to United, it is like smisek shipped every EJR in United's fleet to Houston.  ERJ to Austin, or regional airports like Little Rock, fine.  But flying 3 hours to Toronto or MSP or ORD or DTW or MKE, etc... in an ERJ is ridiculous.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 08:34:53 pm »
Ditto on United being "preferred" by my company but not by me.  I'm off to Limeyland later this month on a personal trip (old man on his last legs, sadly), and I'm flying BA.  The free bags and free booze is a no-brainer.  Plus, United are still running those shitbox 767s* on their IAH to LHR route, which were crap 10 years ago.

Very sorry to hear about your dad, Limey. Best to him, and your family, and you.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:21 pm »
Very sorry to hear about your dad, Limey. Best to him, and your family, and you.

Yeah, that's a tough day. Best to Limey and everybody else facing that situation.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 04:08:58 am »
Yeah, that's a tough day. Best to Limey and everybody else facing that situation.

Your family is in my prayers, Limey.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Randy Watson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 09:16:33 am »
All I know is that I have had more delayed United flights in the last 4 years than I had in the previous 30+ years of my life.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:51 pm »
OK, I'm NEVER voluntarily flying United ever again.  Just got off of Qatar Airways from Houston to Bangkok, and I want to fly them forever and ever, wherever I go.  Not only are the flight attendants hot, and there is one flight attendant for like every 8 passengers, and the food out of this world, and the seats WAY more comfy, but I got to watch a Steve McQueen movie while eating filet mignon and downing two bottles of Italian Amarone.  For $37 CHEAPER than United.  And have I ever mentioned that Arab girls are smoking hot? 

I'll be in my bunk.  But not for the *that* reason. 

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 07:16:03 am »
Revisting old threads today...

United is revamping its boarding process, by ditching the insane 5 group strategy and going (back) to 2 groups.  Plus pre-boarding for first class passengers.  And business class passengers.  And elite members.  And active military service personnel.  And people with small children.

So, basically its the same, just with fewer numbers because, if they think that having just 2 boarding groups is going to stop people from crowding the gate, they're deluding themselves.  It's going to make it way worse, because now they will have two large groups all jockeying for position (with their fucking carry-ons).  Southwest has it down - the gate is never blocked by those waiting to board - everyone else is delusional trying to fix the problem without copying SWA's blueprint.

Also, American Airlines just jumped to #1 on my shit list.  I don't travel on the routes of the likes of Qatar, so I'm pretty much boiled down to Southwest and BA at this point.  Singapore does fly non-stop from Houston to Manchester, so that's an intriguing option to get to Limeyland, as they're almost a third of the price of BA or United (~$700 vs. ~$2,000).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:20:12 am by Limey »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 10:05:00 am »

Also, American Airlines just jumped to #1 on my shit list.  I don't travel on the routes of the likes of Qatar, so I'm pretty much boiled down to Southwest and BA at this point.  Singapore does fly non-stop from Houston to Manchester, so that's an intriguing option to get to Limeyland, as they're almost a third of the price of BA or United (~$700 vs. ~$2,000).

Singapore Airlines is the fucking bomb. I’d fly them any chance I could.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 11:03:25 am »
Singapore Airlines is the fucking bomb. I’d fly them any chance I could.

Especially as economy on Singapore is going to shit all over United, even before the significant price differential.  Plenty of savings to offset the cost of getting to London thereafter, and that may not even be my ultimate destination.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 12:07:14 pm »
It costs $2000 to fly from Houston to London? Insane.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 12:44:28 pm »

Economy.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 12:47:24 pm »
If you can handle Delta to Atlanta and back, you can fly Virgin to London and back through Heathrow for $582 round trip using Expedia.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
If you can handle Delta to Atlanta and back, you can fly Virgin to London and back through Heathrow for $582 round trip using Expedia.

That's not a bad option, thanks!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 01:04:47 pm »
Google Flights has made a ton of improvements, they bought Flight Matrix awhile back.   Anyway, Google.com/Flights is my new go to when I need help finding a flight, the search tools, price graph and additional airport search tools are really great.

I fly Untied 99% of the time, flying to SFO tomorrow, I think the new boarding pass will work well.   It helps eliminate 200 people standing around waiting for their group to board when they are 20+ minutes away from boarding.   They also finally added a I feature I have been complaining about for years, text notification when boarding starts.   

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 01:13:52 pm »
Google Flights has made a ton of improvements, they bought Flight Matrix awhile back.   Anyway, Google.com/Flights is my new go to when I need help finding a flight, the search tools, price graph and additional airport search tools are really great.

I have to figure out how to get Mrs Limey and I to Ostuni next year, with other stops and a different return starting point, so I'm going to give this a whirl.

I fly Untied 99% of the time, flying to SFO tomorrow, I think the new boarding pass will work well.   It helps eliminate 200 people standing around waiting for their group to board when they are 20+ minutes away from boarding.   They also finally added a I feature I have been complaining about for years, text notification when boarding starts.

As I said, people will still gather even though they're a long way away from boarding, because people are sheep.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 02:13:01 pm »
I have to figure out how to get Mrs Limey and I to Ostuni next year, with other stops and a different return starting point, so I'm going to give this a whirl.

As I said, people will still gather even though they're a long way away from boarding, because people are sheep.

Yeah, there is no boarding strategy in the world that prevents people from cramming up in a pile at the gate, not even Southwest's.  SWA boarding doesn't allow those yahoos on the plane sooner, but they still cram the boarding gate.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »
Yeah, there is no boarding strategy in the world that prevents people from cramming up in a pile at the gate, not even Southwest's.  SWA boarding doesn't allow those yahoos on the plane sooner, but they still cram the boarding gate.

Yeah, but they are lined up to the side, and so the scrum is over there, not right where inbound passengers are alighting.  I think that's the point behind United's change.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:40 pm »

It is perfect for that. You can also set pice alerts via emails  I’m watching a couple routes right now to go back to Belgium over Thanksgiving. I get about 1 email a day letting me know the price fluctuation, which has gone from 1100 to over 2300 and back down to 1300 in the last 5 days.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2018, 02:59:40 pm »
It is perfect for that. You can also set pice alerts via emails  I’m watching a couple routes right now to go back to Belgium over Thanksgiving. I get about 1 email a day letting me know the price fluctuation, which has gone from 1100 to over 2300 and back down to 1300 in the last 5 days.

Yeah, I just threw in some random dates and it came up with some good options (actual dates not available yet - too far out).  Thanks for the heads up!

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 09:50:52 am »
Yeah, but they are lined up to the side, and so the scrum is over there, not right where inbound passengers are alighting.  I think that's the point behind United's change.

Ahem, that unwashed mass of humanity might be considered a maul or possibly even a ruck, but not a scrum.  A scrum is far more organized than that.  You should know better, Limey.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 10:44:09 am »
Ahem, that unwashed mass of humanity might be considered a maul or possibly even a ruck, but not a scrum.  A scrum is far more organized than that.  You should know better, Limey.

I stand corrected and shamed!  I think "maul", rather than a "ruck", is the appropriate analogy here, as it involves any number of players and can rumble on in any direction.  A ruck is on the ground.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 12:27:20 pm »
Just made it on board.  No scrums or mauls. Not perfect, but with a sample size of 1 it’s a slight improvement.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 12:34:17 pm »
I'm flying Delta next week. I'll be sure to let everyone know to what degree the boarding process is satisfactory.
Y todo lo que sube baja

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 05:49:34 pm »
Flying EVA Airlines tonight, as I do often.  They're pretty good.  Not quite Singapore, but a gazillion times better than any US airline.  Their boarding is pretty smooth, four different boarding groups.  I've never gotten into a fight boarding one of their planes.  The food on EVA is pretty good, as is the booze, though the wine selection is pretty minimal.  The in-flight entertainment is pretty weak too, mostly Chinese movies, and only about a dozen English films.  But all in all not bad.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »

In rugby league, a scrum is described as one man trying to push two men up three mens' arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAn-3q_4mxs
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2018, 10:25:53 am »
And they wouldn't necessarily be wrong, although I'm fairly certain the mungoes gave up anything approximating a scrum years ago.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!