Author Topic: Great play  (Read 4347 times)

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Great play
« on: December 17, 2012, 10:09:44 am »
Terrific catch (and throw) by Correa in Puerto Rico.  I'd say he has the range to stay there for a little while. 

http://telly.com/56AKL

On a side note, I can't help but think of the Everett collision when I see a shortstop make a play like that with the LF closing in.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Great play
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:14:18 am »
Wow.  Thanks for sharing that.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 10:22:32 am »
Wow!
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:31:29 am »
Wow.  Just wow.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:42 am »
Thanks for sharing that - plumb impressive!
Always ready to go to a game.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:04:58 pm »
The best part was his awareness of the game situation.  He didn't hesitate to pop up and fire to first.  Thanks for the find.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 05:44:04 pm »
Holy shit. Yeah, that doesn't leave much doubt about his ability to make the throw from deep in the hole.
The best part was his awareness of the game situation.  He didn't hesitate to pop up and fire to first.  Thanks for the find.
That part really impressed me, too.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:49 pm »
Brian T. Smith mentioned in some tweets today (leading to his article tomorrow) that the club is weighing whether or not to start him in Extended Spring Training next season or at Quad Cities. If he does start at the full-season club, it will be merit-based. If he keeps showing this kind of ability and awareness, he's going to make it hard for them to send him down.

One other note, I had read on multiple occasions that Correa was impressing in Puerto Rico, but his stat line definitely wasn't impressive (esp. early on). This video was a good reminder that there is a lot more going on than just whether or not he goes 2-4 or drives in a run.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 07:57:30 am »
Also bear in mind that he just turned 18 in September and is playing with and against guys who are 10-12 years older than he is.  I fully expect him to be in Quad Cities next year.  Go to the 1:45 mark in this video and watch another impressive Correa defensive play. 

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:40:29 am »
Astros County has posted a the clip in a little higher quality.

Truly, there is nothing sweeter than a great throw after a great catch.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:21:21 am »
Too bad it doesn't look like he can hit.  Otherwise they might really have something there.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:12 pm »
Too bad it doesn't look like he can hit.  Otherwise they might really have something there.

Are you trolling?  You are making this call on a total of 233 professional at bats? 190 of which came before he turned 18?

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:49:29 pm »
Are you trolling?  You are making this call on a total of 233 professional at bats? 190 of which came before he turned 18?

Crank up your sarc meter, I was just being wilfully goofy.  i thought the Smith article on Correa in the Chronicle today was very nice, but I can't seem to find it on line.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »

Crank up your sarc meter, I was just being wilfully goofy.  i thought the Smith article on Correa in the Chronicle today was very nice, but I can't seem to find it on line.

it's on the pay side of the chronicle's web site. 

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:29 pm »
it's on the pay side of the chronicle's web site.  doesn't exist
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 05:53:42 pm »

Even my hopelessly broken sarc meter went off on that one!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 12:41:39 am »
Terrific catch (and throw) by Correa in Puerto Rico.  I'd say he has the range to stay there for a little while. 

http://telly.com/56AKL

On a side note, I can't help but think of the Everett collision when I see a shortstop make a play like that with the LF closing in.

Exceptionally cool video, thanks for keying us in to it!!!  (And neither here nor there, but what most impressed me was the immediate presence of mind to jump up and fire the BB to 1B and get the DP... And that is saying something, as the catch was pretty friggin' amazing!).
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)