Author Topic: Paging OSF...  (Read 23958 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Paging OSF...
« on: November 17, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
Are you watching what I'm watching right now?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

remy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Paging OSF...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:42:12 pm »
I'm trying to not get too excited, I've watched enough BU football this season to know that our defense can disappear like a fart in the wind.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:19 pm »
I'm trying to not get too excited, I've watched enough BU football this season to know that our defense can disappear like a fart in the wind.

Like the last two minutes of the first half?
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:51:13 pm »
Same here, remy. Went to my first Baylor game during the Kennedy administration. We won, my parents told me; I was 4. Remember my second in '66 when we beat Frank and his hogs to snap their winning streak (25 game streak, maybe?).
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:52:18 pm »
Like the last two minutes of the first half?

That. Exactly 'that'.... Ugh...

And 'that' said...  At least for this one night, it appears that I'm not the only Baylor fan in Oregon...  Ducks are going to have to start taking care of business though, or it just ain't gonna matter...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
Let's see if Stanford's defense can continue the strong showing in the 2nd half.  This kid Hogan is pretty impressive.  As an Irish fan.. really hope at least 1 of Stanford or Baylor can pull off the upset!

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »
Same here, remy. Went to my first Baylor game during the Kennedy administration. We won, my parents told me; I was 4. Remember my second in '66 when we beat Frank and his hogs to snap their winning streak (25 game streak, maybe?).

My first BU game was at the Cotton Bowl vs. Alabama, but that was years before I went to BU.  

However... My first game as a BU student was in '86.  Baylor was ranked in the low teens, and playing a single-digit ranked USC.  Up 14-0 towards the end of the 1st half.  Seconds left to go in the half, Baylor on the 1 or 2.  Crowd screaming for Grant to go for it, and he did...  Turnover, USC went +/-102 yards to make it 14-7 BU at the end of the half.  USC kicked a 35-40'ish yard Fg with 30'ish seconds left to go in the game to win it.  And it just went downhill from there (until this kid called RG-III came to town...).

ETA: That is the way I remember it anyway...  Some day I ought to look up that game and see how close my recollection actually is.  I'll probably get to that about never, however...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:00:08 pm by OregonStrosFan »
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:45 pm »
Let's see if Stanford's defense can continue the strong showing in the 2nd half.  This kid Hogan is pretty impressive.  As an Irish fan.. really hope at least 1 of Stanford or Baylor can pull off the upset!

Given a choice, I'd prefer that it be Baylor. Just sayin'...

And FWIW, I'd guess Oregon is going to start stomping the gas pedal about now...

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:50 pm »
I'm trying to not get too excited, I've watched enough BU football this season to know that our defense common sense can disappear like a fart in the wind.

FIFY... C'mon Nick, you just can't make that throw...

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 09:40:24 pm »
Stanford can't afford these unforced errors.  Two fumbles that were just... dropped.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »
I had no idea about Bennett's wife... that's pretty fucked up. 

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »
HOLY CRAP!!! Wow. Just. Wow.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
I had no idea about Bennett's wife... that's pretty fucked up. 

I don't remember when it happened, but I remember that it happened. Phil Bennett also was an assistant coach at LSU.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 09:58:52 pm »
HOLY CRAP!!! Wow. Just. Wow.

I'm still refusing to sit down.  Not pacing, but not sitting down.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »
That. Was. Huge.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »
Refs just screwed Stanford with a terrible PI call.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 10:18:50 pm »
Where the fuck has this defense been all year?  Good lord.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »
HOLY SHIT!!!

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:40 pm »
What a wonderful football day.  Notre Dame... your new #1.  Now have to beat USC next week.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 10:40:10 pm »
HOLY SHIT!!!

Now can we ride the momentum and beat TT or OSU to secure a bowl?

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:21 pm »
What a wonderful football day.  Notre Dame... your new #1.  Now have to beat USC next week.

See, I have the opposite take.   This was a horrible football day for anyone that wanted to put an end to the SEC love fest.   One week after losing at home to A&M to shut them and the SEC media love fest up, now Alabama is in perfect position to play for the national championship.  The only way I wanted K-State to lose was if Texas beat them in Manhattan.  I definitely didn't want Oregon to lose.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:16 pm »
Boatload of turnovers and still beat Oregon on the road - best defense in country
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:24 pm »
3 games against teams who have been ranked #1 - two wins, one screwjob
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 11:11:01 pm »

I'm liking the idea of Texas backing up a brinks truck to David Shaw's house and making him say no when it's time to replace Mack.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:37 pm »
Urge to kill...rising.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »

One man's screwjob is another man's winning a close game (says Oregon on that 2nd Stanford TD today).

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 11:30:48 pm »
Not comparable - still had plenty if chances to score
  -  Orson Welles

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:33:49 pm »
Not comparable - still had plenty if chances to score

You mean like having 1st and goal and running the same play 4x in a row?  Or like not scoring a single offensive TD the entire game? 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 12:11:45 am »
I'm all for giant killers but now the Domers are #1. That is not good. In fact, that is bad.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 12:16:19 am »
I'm all for giant killers but now the Domers are #1. That is not good. In fact, that is bad.

Problem is now we get the worst of both worlds.  ND in the title game, and an SEC team against them, yuck.  Either that or another SEC-SEC title game which would be worse.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 12:50:08 am »
However... My first game as a BU student was in '86.  Baylor was ranked in the low teens, and playing a single-digit ranked USC.  Up 14-0 towards the end of the 1st half.  Seconds left to go in the half, Baylor on the 1 or 2.  Crowd screaming for Grant to go for it, and he did...  Turnover, USC went +/-102 yards to make it 14-7 BU at the end of the half.  USC kicked a 35-40'ish yard Fg with 30'ish seconds left to go in the game to win it.  And it just went downhill from there (until this kid called RG-III came to town...).

ETA: That is the way I remember it anyway...  Some day I ought to look up that game and see how close my recollection actually is.  I'll probably get to that about never, however...

OSF -- here's a recap of that game. You're close on some things, off on others:
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-09-21/sports/sp-8953_1_baylor
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 01:58:09 am »
Yeah, the 100 yard fumble return by USC just before the half tied the game at 7.

Spoke briefly with Keith Jackson after the game. "Sorry you folks let that one get away."
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 07:58:56 am »
See, I have the opposite take.   This was a horrible football day for anyone that wanted to put an end to the SEC love fest.   One week after losing at home to A&M to shut them and the SEC media love fest up, now Alabama is in perfect position to play for the national championship.  The only way I wanted K-State to lose was if Texas beat them in Manhattan.  I definitely didn't want Oregon to lose.

Ahem. It's only a so-called lovefest because the SEC has DOMINATED the BCS for the past several years. That's why they play the whole season. Let the thing play out. If Alabama gets their hands on Notre Dame, and I'm a Notre Dame fan, they'll crush them.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 10:36:00 am »
Ahem. It's only a so-called lovefest because the SEC has DOMINATED the BCS for the past several years. That's why they play the whole season. Let the thing play out. If Alabama gets their hands on Notre Dame, and I'm a Notre Dame fan, they'll crush them.

I've got a bit more faith in this ND team.  They have a phenomenal defense - especially against the run- and I think Golson has really come into his own on the offense.  He's certainly making better decisions.  They have a bit of a tendency to play to the level of their competition and move to the run when they have a lead which is why they haven't blown that many opponents out. I think they've got a shot. 

In all honesty - what's with the ND hate?  The program hasn't been relevant in over a decade - hasn't had a national championship in almost 25 years so what resentment are you holding on to?  They get kids through school, don't have any major scandals, and play hard.  There's not a drop of arrogance around this particular team - they were on the outside looking in despite playing the toughest schedule and not once did Brian Kelly or any of the players lobby or complain.  If you are at all a football fan, you owe it to yourself to watch Te'o - he's a special player and a pretty remarkable young man.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 11:16:19 am »
I've got a bit more faith in this ND team.  They have a phenomenal defense - especially against the run- and I think Golson has really come into his own on the offense.  He's certainly making better decisions.  They have a bit of a tendency to play to the level of their competition and move to the run when they have a lead which is why they haven't blown that many opponents out. I think they've got a shot. 

In all honesty - what's with the ND hate?  The program hasn't been relevant in over a decade - hasn't had a national championship in almost 25 years so what resentment are you holding on to?  They get kids through school, don't have any major scandals, and play hard.  There's not a drop of arrogance around this particular team - they were on the outside looking in despite playing the toughest schedule and not once did Brian Kelly or any of the players lobby or complain.  If you are at all a football fan, you owe it to yourself to watch Te'o - he's a special player and a pretty remarkable young man.

Get real with that "toughest schedule" bullshit. Playing week in and week out in the SEC is the toughest schedule in college football, which is why the SEC teams win in the BCS: they get prepared during the regular season. I love ND, and I'm so glad that Brian Kelly has them on the rebound; it's good for college football when ND is competitive. However, I've watched them play a couple of times, and I just don't think that they are ready for Alabama yet. And you're right: Te'o is a special player who will be great in the NFL.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 11:37:09 am »
I get what you're saying, Hap, but this year the SEC has four teams that are Kansas bad: Kentrucky, Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee. Old Miss is just ahead of that group, compliments of y'day. That just means the murderer's row schedule didn't unfold this year.

If Notre Dame steps on their dicks against USC, how crazy could this end up?

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »
Get real with that "toughest schedule" bullshit. Playing week in and week out in the SEC is the toughest schedule in college football, which is why the SEC teams win in the BCS: they get prepared during the regular season. I love ND, and I'm so glad that Brian Kelly has them on the rebound; it's good for college football when ND is competitive. However, I've watched them play a couple of times, and I just don't think that they are ready for Alabama yet. And you're right: Te'o is a special player who will be great in the NFL.

I was actually thinking relative to KState and Oregon's schedules though I agree with ybbodeus that the "SEC is a gauntlet" story line just doesn't hold true this year.  And I think there's a difference in playing a competitive team every week vs mixing in the western carolinas and florida atlantics of the world. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 12:25:17 pm »
I was actually thinking relative to KState and Oregon's schedules though I agree with ybbodeus that the "SEC is a gauntlet" story line just doesn't hold true this year.  And I think there's a difference in playing a competitive team every week vs mixing in the western carolinas and florida atlantics of the world. 

Oh. And I guess that Navy is "competitive"? Bullshit. ND's schedule isn't easy, but it isn't an SEC tough schedule. ND's also had some close calls against teams that aren't that tough. Howver, they've come away with W's, which is what counts. If ND and Alabama face each other in the BCS championship game, my money will be on Alabama.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »
Oh. And I guess that Navy is "competitive"? Bullshit. ND's schedule isn't easy, but it isn't an SEC tough schedule. ND's also had some close calls against teams that aren't that tough. Howver, they've come away with W's, which is what counts. If ND and Alabama face each other in the BCS championship game, my money will be on Alabama.

Well they are 7-4 so certainly more so than western carolina.  ND plays Navy every year because Navy helped the university stay open during WWII and ND continues to honor that.  I don't see that as a negative.  I'm not crapping on Alabama - they certainly are a very good team and maybe the best team in the country.  And most years you would be right in saying the SEC schedule is the toughest in the country - I just don't think that's true this year.  And I don't doubt Alabama should be favored in a potential match-up with ND.  My only point is that if ND somehow goes undefeated for the regular season with a pretty tough slate, that is a remarkable achievement.  And I think the game would be competitive - this isn't a team that gets blown out. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 01:22:30 pm »
Stanford's defense is very impressive.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
Stanford's defense is very impressive.

Sure was. I thought there coach was very impressive, too. Handled himself extremely well on the post-game tv interview. I suspect he will be in the NFL soon.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
Sure was. I thought there coach was very impressive, too. Handled himself extremely well on the post-game tv interview. I suspect he will be in the NFL soon.

If he's smart and takes the lesson of Saban and Petrino, his predecessor notwithstanding, he'll stay in the college game.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »
If he's smart and takes the lesson of Saban and Petrino, his predecessor notwithstanding, he'll stay in the college game.

Andit may be what he wants. I'm just thinking he has a chance to be good in the NFL because of the style of play of Stanford, his seeming intelligence and personal skills. Personally, I'd stay at Stanford for as long as they'd have me.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »
OSF -- here's a recap of that game. You're close on some things, off on others:
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-09-21/sports/sp-8953_1_baylor

Interesting recollections vs. reality read...  Guess my brain'd already 'given' Baylor 7 from that end-of-first-half play...  And I'd thought there was still time a tiny bit of time after USC's game-winning field goal.  Then again, I was in shock after watching that game, so it doesn't surprise me that my memory is a tad spotty on the subject...

I do, however, clearly remember being one of a handful of Baylor fans in the TAMU senior section watching Baylor kick the crap out of TAMU through 3 quarters in 1986, while concurrently acting like a drunken idiot about said ass-kicking up to that point.  It was somewhere before the beginning of the 4th quarter that I started to realize: (1) I was going to receive a very serious (and somewhat deserved) ass-kicking from said TAMU seniors after the game for my drunken idiocy and commentary; and (2) that I would prefer not to get the shit kicked out of me for said drunken idiocy and commentary if I could avoid it...  Let's just say that my heart wasn't broken by TAMU's comeback as it allowed the TAMU seniors to be content with merely mocking me, rather than spilling my blood...

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 10:25:22 pm »
I think Stanford is his dream job, but we will see.

SEC schedules are a joke - no one out of conference. What's the best OOC win? 
  -  Orson Welles

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »
South Carolina and Florida are poised to battle over that distinction soon enough. I guess bama over Michigan?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:48 pm »
Exactly. News flash, Michigan is terrible. Hello circle jerk.
  -  Orson Welles

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »

Probably Michigan (neutral site) or Washington (road home).  And what great OOC giants have been slayed by Pac 12 / Big 12 teams?
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:33 am »
Probably Michigan (neutral site) or Washington (road home).  And what great OOC giants have been slayed by Pac 12 / Big 12 teams?

Great point, I can recall a giant screw-job but no giants slayed.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 09:21:24 am »

I'm not arguing that the SEC has dominated the system the last decade or so.   But the last two years, it's getting ridiculous.  Last year, we have a team from the SEC that failed to win its conference play in the title game and just look at the current BCS standings.  

The fact that Georgia and Florida are above Oregon and K-State in the current BCS standings is a joke.  Georgia has one quality win(Florida) and got pasted by a South Carolina team that was tied with a FCS team in the 4th quarter.   Florida is playing horribly right now, and should have lost to Louisiana Lafayette.  

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

You, sir, are full of shit. Four of this week's top eight BCS teams are from the SEC, and five of the top ten. LSU has played Florida, Alabama and Texas A&M. Who, besides Oregon, have your beloved Cardinal played? Hmmm...

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:17 am »

Best out of conference game for each SEC school:

Auburn v. Clemson L
Alabama v. Michigan W
Ark v. Tulsa W
LSU v. Washington W
Miss. v. Texas L
Miss St. v. Middle Tn St. W
Georgia v. Georgia Tech (to be played)
Fla. v. FSU (to be played)
Texas A&M v. La. Tech W
Missouri v. Arizona St W
South Carolina v. Clemson (to be played)
Tennessee v. N. C. State W
Vandy v. Northwestern L
Kentucky v. Louisville W

Most (A&M & MSU exlcuded) scheduled one team from a major conference.  I think you will see that is similar to other conferences.  I wouldn't call that a joke.  It looks like modern day college football scheduling.  

I would agree the depth of the SEC is not up to par this year with previous years.  
Always ready to go to a game.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:40 am »
I'm not arguing that the SEC has dominated the system the last decade or so.   But the last two years, it's getting ridiculous.  Last year, we have a team from the SEC that failed to win its conference play in the title game and just look at the current BCS standings.  

The fact that Georgia and Florida are above Oregon and K-State in the current BCS standings is a joke.  Georgia has one quality win(Florida) and got pasted by a South Carolina team that was tied with a FCS team in the 4th quarter.   Florida is playing horribly right now, and should have lost to Louisiana Lafayette.  

I don't know. From what I saw of Kansas State last saturday night, they're lucky that  they are where they are, in my opinion.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:55 am »

Big 12 wins over "Power Conferences":
K-State 52-13 over 6-5 Miami
Texas 66-31 over 5-6 Ole Miss
Iowa State 9-6 over 4-7 Iowa
TCU 27-7 over 4-7 Virginia
West Virginia 31-21 over 4-7 Maryland

Pac 12:
Arizona 59-38 over 7-3 Oklahoma State (current #21 in BCS)
Arizona State 45-14 over 2-9 Illinois
UCLA 36-30 over 9-2 Nebraska (current #14 in BCS)
Oregon State 10-7 over 7-4 Wisconsin
Stanford 50-13 over 6-5 Duke
USC 42-29 over 6-5 Syracuse
Marquee game remaining: USC v. #1 ND

SEC:
LSU 41-3 over 7-3 Washington (current #25 in BCS)
Missouri 24-20 over 6-5 Arizona State
Alabama 41-14 over 8-3 Michigan (current #19 in BCS)
Tennessee 35-21 over 6-5 North Carolina State
Marquee games remaining: Florida v. #10 Florida State, South Carolina v. #11 Clemson

None of that is particularly impressive, IMO, but UCLA has the best win as of right now. We'll see how they compare after this weekend.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2012, 11:03:53 am »
I don't know. From what I saw of Kansas State last saturday night, they're lucky that  they are where they are, in my opinion.

On the road against one of the best offenses in the country when the opponent is pretty much playing for their season? I don't know that I would discount Kansas State so quickly, especially given the underwhelming performances from Florida and South Carolina.

It's helping the SEC that none of their top six teams had to play more than three of the others.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:09 am »
On the road against one of the best offenses in the country when the opponent is pretty much playing for their season? I don't know that I would discount Kansas State so quickly, especially given the underwhelming performances from Florida and South Carolina.

It's helping the SEC that none of their top six teams had to play more than three of the others.

Yes, but who else has played such a rigorous schedule? I like Klein and Coach Snyder, but that defense is very shaky, as is Oregon's.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 11:56:32 am »

You've just compared the Big 12's #1 team to the SEC's #3(at best) and #6.  You're not doing a good job of proving your point here.

LSU played 4 of the 5 in successive weeks. Then played #7 right after those 4.  They didn't play Georgia or themselves.
Goin' for a bus ride.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:08 pm »
You've just compared the Big 12's #1 team to the SEC's #3(at best) and #6.  You're not doing a good job of proving your point here.

LSU played 4 of the 5 in successive weeks. Then played #7 right after those 4.  They didn't play Georgia or themselves.

I'll compare them to the SEC's #2 team then.  Georgia has played two good teams all year.  They beat Florida, and got embarrassed by a two loss South Carolina team that struggled to beat Wofford.  They avoided Bama, LSU and A&M in conference play.  K-State has 6 wins over teams with winning records, and two over teams at 5-5.  Georgia on the other hand has two wins over teams with winning records.  There's no way with a straight face you can acknowledge Georgia has had the tougher road so far.

At least Florida, right now, has wins over five teams with winning records, but this is the same team that had to have a miracle to beat ULL and scored 23 points to beat an FCS school this week.  They have no business being higher than K-State or Oregon either.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 01:20:37 pm »
if only there was some sort of system where the best teams could be matched up, and play each other after the regular season to determine who is best....

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:05 pm »
if only there was some sort of system where the best teams could be matched up, and play each other after the regular season to determine who is best....

That system would not determine who is the best team, it would only determine who scored more points on the particular day of that game. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2012, 02:05:14 pm »
Exactly. News flash, Michigan is terrible. Hello circle jerk.
Terrible teams, such as Michigan, manage to get ranked, though.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2012, 02:06:10 pm »
You, sir, are full of shit. Four of this week's top eight BCS teams are from the SEC, and five of the top ten. LSU has played Florida, Alabama and Texas A&M. Who, besides Oregon, have your beloved Cardinal played? Hmmm...
Notre Dame.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2012, 02:32:57 pm »

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »
If we are going to cherry pick one game out of the schedule and say our schedule is tough and another and say that schedule is week.  Let's just get down to the horribly inaccurage science of comparative scores:  
[begin tongue in cheek]\
K-State loses to BU 52-24
Baylor barely beat La. Monroe 47-42
La. Monroe lost to Ark State 45-23
Ark State lost to Oregon 57-34
Oregon lost to Stanford 17-14
Stanford lost to Washington 17-13
Washington lost to LSU 41-3
LSU lost to Bama 21-17
Bama lost to Texas A&M 29-24
Texas A&M lost to FLA 20-17...
[end tongue in cheek]
You could keep going.  One game doesn't decide a season.  Saturday will tell us a great deal about the contenders.  

It is entirely likely that two to three of these teams will lose on Saturday.  I expect close games in FSU/FLA, KS/Texas & Oregon/Oregon State.  Bama, & Georgia should have no trouble.  ND should easily handle USC now that Barkely is out but you never know.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »
I can only draw from my limited experience in comparing conferences.  I saw a mediocre Texas team roll Ole Miss at their house.  The same Ole Miss team who almost beat the Aggies and Tigers.   

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2012, 03:22:45 pm »
If we are going to cherry pick one game out of the schedule and say our schedule is tough and another and say that schedule is week.  Let's just get down to the horribly inaccurage science of comparative scores:  
[begin tongue in cheek]\
K-State loses to BU 52-24
Baylor barely beat La. Monroe 47-42
La. Monroe lost to Ark State 45-23
Ark State lost to Oregon 57-34
Oregon lost to Stanford 17-14
Stanford lost to Washington 17-13
Washington lost to LSU 41-3
LSU lost to Bama 21-17
Bama lost to Texas A&M 29-24
Texas A&M lost to FLA 20-17...
[end tongue in cheek]
You could keep going.  One game doesn't decide a season.  Saturday will tell us a great deal about the contenders.  

It is entirely likely that two to three of these teams will lose on Saturday.  I expect close games in FSU/FLA, KS/Texas & Oregon/Oregon State.  Bama, & Georgia should have no trouble.  ND should easily handle USC now that Barkely is out but you never know.

Shouldn't Kevin Bacon get factored into this somehow?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »
I can only draw from my limited experience in comparing conferences.  I saw a mediocre Texas team roll Ole Miss at their house.  The same Ole Miss team who almost beat the Aggies and Tigers.   

Exactly my point.  You can't draw these kinds of comparisons.  Texas killed Ole Miss, Ole Miss pushed LSU to the brink, LSU beat the daylights out of the Washington Huskies who beat Stanford who beat Oregon.  That doesn't mean Texas would beat Oregon, they might but you can't draw a conclusion from comparison scores.  Some teams get better as the season goes along so an early season game (LSU/Wash or Tex/Miss) really can't be used for any comparison.   

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2012, 03:29:19 pm »

One could argue that the Ole Miss game was one of UT's "biggest games of the season."  The same can't be said for ATM and LSU.  

This is really an exercise in futility.  

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2012, 04:04:41 pm »
Exactly my point.  You can't draw these kinds of comparisons.  Texas killed Ole Miss, Ole Miss pushed LSU to the brink, LSU beat the daylights out of the Washington Huskies who beat Stanford who beat Oregon.  That doesn't mean Texas would beat Oregon, they might but you can't draw a conclusion from comparison scores.  Some teams get better as the season goes along so an early season game (LSU/Wash or Tex/Miss) really can't be used for any comparison.   

I agree with this. I simply called bullshi on Biz for saying that the SEC teams' failure to play a signficant non-conference opponent was somehow soft.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »
One could argue that the Ole Miss game was one of UT's "biggest games of the season."  The same can't be said for ATM and LSU.  

Oh, I agree that it is an exercise in futility; however, as a UT fan, it never crossed my mind that playing a non-conference game against an SEC also-ran was a big game. 

Judging by Mile's postgame excuses, LSU considered the Ole Miss game to be a big game.  He sounded awfully Mack Brownish: "great rivalry, always tough opponent, tradition, yada, yada, yada." 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »
Oh, I agree that it is an exercise in futility; however, as a UT fan, it never crossed my mind that playing a non-conference game against an SEC also-ran was a big game. 

Judging by Mile's postgame excuses, LSU considered the Ole Miss game to be a big game.  He sounded awfully Mack Brownish: "great rivalry, always tough opponent, tradition, yada, yada, yada." 

What did you expect him to say? LSU has had trouble with Ole Miss for many of the past several seasons.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

What do you expect him to say? "I can't believe these asswipes almost beat us." ?

ESPN was speculating that if USC beats Notre Dame the BCS Title Game will be between the Bama/Georgia winner and Florida. That will cause more cranial explosions.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »

This has to be a joke.   If anyone really believes a team that has done nothing of historical significance and nothing noteworthy on the field since Eli Manning graduated was one of the biggest games of the season for a program of Texas's ilk, they are delusional.

This is precisely the attitude I'm sick of regarding the SEC.   Ole Miss can't come close to holding Texas's jock strap, but since they play in the SEC, it's a big game for Texas.   Give me a break.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:00 pm »
If FSU beats FU...errrrr...UF, why wouldn't they get the shot? They will play in the ACC title game, too, won't they? Just one, even two, more chances to move up.

You could replace those two with Clempsum and South Carolina, too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:58:51 pm by ybbodeus »

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

From a Stanford board:

By Sagarin ratings, our schedule of top 25 teams:

Away
#2 Notre Dame
#3 Oregon
#17 UCLA
#25 Washington
Home
#10 Oregon State
#15 USC
#21 Arizona

Alabama’s:
Away
#11  LSU
Home
#6 Texas A&M
#20 Michigan
  -  Orson Welles

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »
By Sagarin ratings

Would those be the same Sagarin ratings that has Alabama #1?
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »
Would those be the same Sagarin ratings that has Alabama #1?

Not saying Alabama isn't a good team, just that they don't play a very tough schedule.
  -  Orson Welles

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2012, 06:39:29 pm »
Not saying Alabama isn't a good team, just that they don't play a very tough schedule.

Arkansas and Auburn imploded, that definitely hurt their schedule.  Michigan was Top 10 when they played, but obviously hasn't lived up to that.  MS State is sitting at #27 which is convenient (or inconvenient, depending on your perspective) for this analysis.  Alabama and UGA definitely "lucked out" this year as far as facing the other division teams this year.  Since at least the year Saban arrived Alabama has played one marquee (or planned marquee) team per year (FSU, Clemson, VaTech, PSU, @PSU, Mich).  That's comparable, if not better than, pretty much every other "Big 6" conference team.  Schedules are generally set two to three seasons in advance, it's hard to predict who will be where in that timeframe.  You can only play who you schedule.

Also, Michigan was neutral site, not home.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
Arkansas and Auburn imploded, that definitely hurt their schedule.  Michigan was Top 10 when they played, but obviously hasn't lived up to that.  MS State is sitting at #27 which is convenient (or inconvenient, depending on your perspective) for this analysis.  Alabama and UGA definitely "lucked out" this year as far as facing the other division teams this year.  Since at least the year Saban arrived Alabama has played one marquee (or planned marquee) team per year (FSU, Clemson, VaTech, PSU, @PSU, Mich).  That's comparable, if not better than, pretty much every other "Big 6" conference team.  Schedules are generally set two to three seasons in advance, it's hard to predict who will be where in that timeframe.  You can only play who you schedule.

Also, Michigan was neutral site, not home.

San Jose State is 30, so not that convenient. SEC also plays only 8 conference games, which let's them schedule one decent opponent, and 3 terrible ones. Alabama's other non-conference games were against FAU (128), Western Kentucky (77), and Western Carolina (208). Stanford played 3 out of conference games - #2 ND, #30 SJSU, #76 Duke.

-  Orson Welles

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2012, 06:57:24 pm »
San Jose State is 30, so not that convenient. SEC also plays only 8 conference games, which let's them schedule one decent opponent, and 3 terrible ones. Alabama's other non-conference games were against FAU (128), Western Kentucky (77), and Western Carolina (208). Stanford played 3 out of conference games - #2 ND, #30 SJSU, #76 Duke.

I hate the FCS games.  You'll get no defense out of me on them.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »
The cupcake games make a bigger difference than you would think. Going from playing 3 teams you beat 95% of the time to 3 teams you beat 80% of the time is the difference between dropping one of those games once every 7 years to every other year.
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »
From a Stanford board:

You're going to Sagarin to make your point? What about the rankings and BCS models?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2012, 07:39:37 pm »
You're going to Sagarin to make your point? What about the rankings and BCS models?

Sagarin is a BCS model.
  -  Orson Welles

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
The cupcake games make a bigger difference than you would think. Going from playing 3 teams you beat 95% of the time to 3 teams you beat 80% of the time is the difference between dropping one of those games once every 7 years to every other year.

Agreed, but you also don't (necessarily) know whether you're going to get cupcakes when you schedule.  In 2010, Alabama's OOC schedule was Penn State and (drumroll please) SJSU and Duke.  That being said, outside of Michigan, Bama's OOC is weaker this year than year's past, and I doubt anyone expected otherwise.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:21 pm »
Sagarin is a BCS model.

As I read Sagarin this week, Sagarin has LSU at 8.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:14 pm »
As I read Sagarin this week, Sagarin has LSU at 8.

He has 3 sets of rankings - ELO Chess which only considers wins and losses, predictor which considers point differential, and his overall rankings which averages the two. The post I copied was the overall - I prefer the ELO chess which has Stanford at 4 in a dead heat with Bama. Not cherrypicking, I think Stanford's schedule looks even tougher on that metric (play the #1, 5, 10, 15, 18, 19, 20, 32 teams)
  -  Orson Welles

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:05 pm »
He has 3 sets of rankings - ELO Chess which only considers wins and losses, predictor which considers point differential, and his overall rankings which averages the two. The post I copied was the overall - I prefer the ELO chess which has Stanford at 4 in a dead heat with Bama. Not cherrypicking, I think Stanford's schedule looks even tougher on that metric (play the #1, 5, 10, 15, 18, 19, 20, 32 teams)

I'll give this to you: The Cardinal have had a fine season. It was huge to shut down Oregon on the road the way that they did.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »
I think you can make a credible argument that A&M could be used as a proxy for out-of-conference games against "reasonable" opponents. They're only one year removed from a middle-of-the-pack existence in the Big 12, so it's unlikely that whatever SEC magic exists has completely transformed them yet. And they're causing plenty of trouble for those SEC teams.

Of course, I wouldn't be suggesting this argument if the Aggies were getting drilled.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »
I think you can make a credible argument that A&M could be used as a proxy for out-of-conference games against "reasonable" opponents. They're only one year removed from a middle-of-the-pack existence in the Big 12, so it's unlikely that whatever SEC magic exists has completely transformed them yet. And they're causing plenty of trouble for those SEC teams.

Of course, I wouldn't be suggesting this argument if the Aggies were getting drilled.

Of course, that also ignores the new coach and Heisman front runner they have this year.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2012, 10:03:44 pm »
Of course, that also ignores the new coach and Heisman front runner they have this year.

True enough, but that new coach came from another lesser conference, not one of the blue blood assistantships in the SEC.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »
True enough, but that new coach came from another lesser conference, not one of the blue blood assistantships in the SEC.

Are we really going there?

By the way, you left out how well Missouri is doing in the SEC this year.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2012, 06:44:40 am »

Manziel is the difference; I was expecting a 6 win year. Summlin gets credit for letting the kid start and do his thing, but with Summlin and without Manziel we're 5-6 right now instead of 9-2. Sherman was the one that recruited Manziel, though he would not be starting were Sherman still the coach.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2012, 06:59:51 am »
Are we really going there?

By the way, you left out how well Missouri is doing in the SEC this year.

Of course I did. I'm just stirring the pot because I'm feeling contrary right now.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2012, 08:21:34 am »

Trouble maker.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:50 am »

That's the biggest crock of shit you've posted since...well, likely your last post on BBQ, but certainly the biggest you've posted on college football. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:29 am »
Manziel is the difference; I was expecting a 6 win year. Summlin gets credit for letting the kid start and do his thing, but with Summlin and without Manziel we're 5-6 right now instead of 9-2. Sherman was the one that recruited Manziel, though he would not be starting were Sherman still the coach.

It'll be interesting to see who Sumlin ultimately recruits.  He didn't recruit Keenum either.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:09 am »

This is pure, unadulterated horseshit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:02:43 am by Mr. Happy »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2012, 08:56:07 am »
It'll be interesting to see who Sumlin ultimately recruits.  He didn't recruit Keenum either.

And RGIII left rather than play for Sumlin.  I like Sumlin, I really do.  I think he's a decent coach.  But you're going to see in the next few years that he's not the genius that circumstance has made him out to appear.  And Aggie fans are going to realize the coach they REALLY wanted was the one they let get away and go to that little school down the road in Waco.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2012, 09:06:06 am »
And RGIII left rather than play for Sumlin.  I like Sumlin, I really do.  I think he's a decent coach.  But you're going to see in the next few years that he's not the genius that circumstance has made him out to appear.  And Aggie fans are going to realize the coach they REALLY wanted was the one they let get away and go to that little school down the road in Waco.

Aggies like playing defense too much to ever love Briles.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2012, 09:08:36 am »
And RGIII left rather than play for Sumlin.   

RGIII committed to play for UH while Briles was there, but switched his committment to Baylor soon after Briles announced he was taking the Baylor job. Sumlin had nothing to do with Griffen's decision.

And Aggie fans are going to realize the coach they REALLY wanted was the one they let get away and go to that little school down the road in Waco.

Please tell me you don't think Briles is a better coach than Sumlin?
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2012, 10:44:50 am »
That's the biggest crock of shit you've posted since...well, likely your last post on BBQ, but certainly the biggest you've posted on college football.  

In most years, you would be correct, but Alabama's schedule has not been that hard this year.  The SEC West is garbage outside of Bama, A&M and LSU this year.  Of their 12 regular season games, they have faced 5 teams with winning records:  LSU, A&M, Western Kentucky, Miss State, and Michigan.  I'll grant you A&M and LSU are both very good opponents, but Michigan has proven to be a mess, and Mississippi State has beaten one team above .500(a sunbelt team mind you) to get to 8-3.  

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:56 am »

Hudson thinks that David Carr would be a better coach than Sumlin if were given the same circumstances. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:14 am »
RGIII committed to play for UH while Briles was there, but switched his committment to Baylor soon after Briles announced he was taking the Baylor job. Sumlin had nothing to do with Griffen's decision.

Right. He left rather than playing for Sumlin.

He is.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:52 am »
Hudson thinks that David Carr would be a better coach than Sumlin if were given the same circumstances. 

Because I've said that over and over again.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:31 am »

That is the heart of the matter. For now at least, he's going to tell kids they will be playing under a top QB for a couple years. How much of the show is run by the top assistants remains to be seen as well. RC Slocum had great teams where before his OC and DC got the top job at UCLA and Notre Dame respectively.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 11:25:18 am »
Right. He left rather than playing for Sumlin.

FYI, Griffin switched his commitment to Baylor a week before Sumlin was named head coach at UH. Pretty sure that was far more about liking Briles than any feeling about Sumlin.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Andyzipp

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 12:00:35 pm »

Stewart from St. Pius X and Hill from Southlake Carroll.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2012, 12:49:54 pm »
FYI, Griffin switched his commitment to Baylor a week before Sumlin was named head coach at UH. Pretty sure that was far more about liking Briles than any feeling about Sumlin.

Don't let facts get in the way of strongly held beliefs. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:08 pm »

Right. He switched rather than play for Sumlin. This has been established. It's not necessarily a knock on Sumlin, but its a documented fact.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »
Don't let facts get in the way of strongly held beliefs. 

Right, lets not.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2012, 01:29:53 pm »
Right. He switched rather than play for Sumlin. This has been established. It's not necessarily a knock on Sumlin, but its a documented fact.

You could say "He switched rather than play for the second coming of Jesus Christ" and you would be making the same point.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2012, 01:42:12 pm »
You could say "He switched rather than play for the second coming of Jesus Christ" and you would be making the same point.

Only if we were discussing who Jesus Christ has previously recruited.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
Only if we were discussing who Jesus Christ has previously recruited.

Judas is still banned for life after taking bribes....
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »
Judas is still banned for life after taking bribes....

So Judas=Pete Rose, then?

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
Briles built both UH and BU from relative scratch. Sumlin has inherited both teams he's coached, and done very well with each.

The "who knows?" question is if Sumlin could have done for Baylor what Art has managed? Easiest answer is probably not without Griffin and Wright.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:27:27 pm by ybbodeus »

Andyzipp

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:48 pm »
Briles built both UH and BU from relative scratch. Sumlin has inherited both teams he's coached, and done very well with each.

The "who knows?" question is if Sumlin could have done for Baylor what Art has managed? Easiest answer is probably not without Griffin and Wright.

I think Sumlin is better than HH is giving him credit for.  But he did inherit a pretty good group this year at A&M that underachieved last year under Sherman.  Recruiting looks good so far...it'll be interesting to see if he closes well in February, and continues to build. 

I've seen it discounted plenty over the past couple of weeks, but beating Alabama at BDS should give him lots and lots of mileage.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »
I think Sumlin is better than HH is giving him credit for.  But he did inherit a pretty good group this year at A&M that underachieved last year under Sherman.  Recruiting looks good so far...it'll be interesting to see if he closes well in February, and continues to build. 

I've seen it discounted plenty over the past couple of weeks, but beating Alabama at BDS should give him lots and lots of mileage.

And you know offensive players, receivers especially are lining up to play with Manziel

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »
And you know offensive players, receivers especially are lining up to play with Manziel

When they could play with Ash instead? Inconceivable.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

Agreed, Andy. Further, I believe he has to be a coach of the year finalist with Bill Snyder and Brian Kelly.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2012, 08:53:32 am »
When they could play with Ash instead? Inconceivable.

Ash is pretty damn good.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Andyzipp

« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2012, 10:58:22 am »
Ash is pretty damn good.

He is.  Much improved over last year, but I suspect that's as much growth/maturity as not being a co-starter this year.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:24 am »
If he stays healthy Ash should be right at the top, with McCoy, of all-time passing leaders at Texas when he's done.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2012, 11:59:24 am »
If he stays healthy Ash should be right at the top, with McCoy, of all-time passing leaders at Texas when he's done.

Isn't it crazy to think how the way Texas has performed is backwards to how everyone figured they would play this year?  It was expected that the defense would carry the offense, but the opposite has occurred.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
(The SEC) is overrated this year

***It's a Ponzi scheme, this 2012 SEC fraud, built upon layers of air. Georgia is great because it has beaten Florida. Florida is great because it has beaten Texas A&M. Texas A&M is great because it has beaten Alabama. And Alabama is great because it has beaten ... um, who has Alabama beaten, anyway?***

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

***It's a Ponzi scheme, this 2012 SEC fraud, built upon layers of air. Georgia is great because it has beaten Florida. Florida is great because it has beaten Texas A&M. Texas A&M is great because it has beaten Alabama. And Alabama is great because it has beaten ... um, who has Alabama beaten, anyway?***

LSU

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:44 pm »
LSU

...is great because they barely beat Auburn.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »

Didn't we already establish that outside of conferences, no one has beaten anyone?  If the argument is that you can't establish how good anyone is unless they beat someone out of conference, then really all we've figured out is that the Big 10 sucks, right?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2012, 07:36:08 pm »
...is great because they barely beat Auburn.

Maybe so, but we did beat Texas A&M, which Alabama was incapable of doing even at home.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:59 pm »
Maybe so, but we did beat Texas A&M, which Alabama was incapable of doing even at home.

Early in the season, and with some bewildering luck.

This is all just further evidence that transitive scoring only confuses things. I have no idea who the best team is at this point.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:32 am »
I have no idea who the best team is at this point.

At this point, I couldn't even tell you a top four.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2012, 09:34:31 am »
At this point, I couldn't even tell you a top four.

Isn't it wonderful? I love college football. Look at the discussion and passion it generates. Do you see that over any other sport? I can't think of any.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2012, 11:41:12 am »
Early in the season, and with some bewildering luck.

This is all just further evidence that transitive scoring only confuses things. I have no idea who the best team is at this point.

+1

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2012, 05:36:00 pm »
Bears going bowling again...  Sweet W!

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:00 pm »
I guess those Guy Morriss, Kevin Steele and Dave Roberts, "Miss me, yet?", bumper stickers will have to stay in Tom Stanton's attic.

Andyzipp

« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »
Good job Bears.  You guys have a fun offensive team.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2012, 09:01:18 pm »
Stanford beats UCLA, earning the privilege to play next week in championship game against... UCLA
  -  Orson Welles

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »
Stanford beats UCLA, earning the privilege to play next week in championship game against... UCLA

Taylor had another fantastic game, love that kid.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2012, 09:21:30 pm »

Congrats to the Cardinal. Excellent performance today.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2012, 09:33:51 pm »
Taylor should become Stanford all time rushing leader next week (would have gotten it tonight if hadn't sat most of second half)
  -  Orson Welles

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2012, 09:36:34 pm »

I think watching that game gave me an ulcer.  Goddamn, our defense looked bad as ever.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »

They should be a handful for a bowl opponent if they can maintain momentum through the layoff.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2012, 10:54:15 pm »
The Fighting Irish finish the deal against USC 22-13. Congratulations to them. I think that they can be competitive in the BCS championship game. This team has really improved since I saw them play earlier in the season.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »
The Fighting Irish finish the deal against USC 22-13. Congratulations to them. I think that they can be competitive in the BCS championship game. This team has really improved since I saw them play earlier in the season.

Agreed - Golson is really developing.  But got to convert the red zone chances into TDs rather than FGs.  Can't leave points on the field against Alabama or Georgia.  T'eo sure is special.... #2 in INTs in all FBS.... as a LB.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:33 pm »
Good job Bears.  You guys have a fun offensive team.
Back at you for ten wins and keeping the Heisman in Texas. And you can throw in the Missouri boat ride in CS tonight, as it had to depress a lot of Jake fans in the process.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:02:28 am by ybbodeus »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2012, 01:35:40 am »
Agreed - Golson is really developing.  But got to convert the red zone chances into TDs rather than FGs.  Can't leave points on the field against Alabama or Georgia.  T'eo sure is special.... #2 in INTs in all FBS.... as a LB.

Agreed. I think that you would rather play Alabama than Georgia?

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2012, 05:25:10 am »
Agreed. I think that you would rather play Alabama than Georgia?
[/quote

My husband and I were debating this but I think so.  Admittedly, I've watched more of Alabama than Georgia but I think Irish match-up reasonably well against the tide.  They're actually a very SEC-like team - strong defense, enough offense to get by, minimal dick stepping.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:32 am »
My husband and I were debating this but I think so.  Admittedly, I've watched more of Alabama than Georgia but I think Irish match-up reasonably well against the tide.  They're actually a very SEC-like team - strong defense, enough offense to get by, minimal dick stepping.

Well, regardless of which team ND plays, the opposing coach won't be as stupid as Lane Kiffin.  I thought I'd seen a lifetime of dickstepping from Gary Kubiak, holy shit Kiffin takes the cake.  By a LOOONNNGG shot.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2012, 09:43:21 am »
Well, regardless of which team ND plays, the opposing coach won't be as stupid as Lane Kiffin.  I thought I'd seen a lifetime of dickstepping from Gary Kubiak, holy shit Kiffin takes the cake.  By a LOOONNNGG shot.

Why is he considered such a wunderkind? Is it just because he brings his dad along with him?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:34 am »
Why is he considered such a wunderkind? Is it just because he brings his dad along with him?

I don't know.  Honestly.  Because the last 5 minutes of that game last night might be the worst coaching in the history of football. 

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:24 am »
My suspicion is that the Irish will be pulling for Alabama over Georgia because I think that they have a reasonable shot against the Crimson Tide. Georgia's big, experienced arm may pose more difficulties. The big unknowns are (1) how will their cohesiveness and intensity bear the 45 day layoff (that crushed LSU last season) and (2) how will they handle the pre-game hype, which will be even more intense than the large amount that they've gotten used to at Notre Dame.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2012, 10:31:29 am »
Well, regardless of which team ND plays, the opposing coach won't be as stupid as Lane Kiffin.  I thought I'd seen a lifetime of dickstepping from Gary Kubiak, holy shit Kiffin takes the cake.  By a LOOONNNGG shot.

FWIW, SI and even BleacherReport agree with you about Kiffin.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2012, 02:35:29 pm »
FWIW, SI and even BleacherReport agree with you about Kiffin.

I suspect he's done. Haden didn't put him in the job and much was expected this year.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2012, 02:37:50 pm »
I suspect he's done. Haden didn't put him in the job and much was expected this year.

I'd fire him just for gross incompetence in last night's game.

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »

He's terrible, but Haden declared after the UCLA game that it didn't matter what happened the rest of the season, he'd be back next year. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2012, 04:29:54 pm »
He's terrible, but Haden declared after the UCLA game that it didn't matter what happened the rest of the season, he'd be back next year. 

OK, I missed that. Thanks.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »
Kiffin is the king of failing upward. Assume his next job will be nfl commish
  -  Orson Welles

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »
Kiffin is the king of failing upward. Assume his next job will be nfl commish

Sadly, were he appointed the next MLB commish I'd consider it a massive upgrade at the position... FYB

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
Not a bad day for Baylor... Baylor Football beats a ranked Oklahoma State and Baylor Men's Basketball knocks off a top-10 ranked Kentucky.  Too bad the 1/2 billion dollar Powerball drawing wasn't tonight, I might've stood a chance...

Savage

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
That was some Kiffinesque decision-making by Georgia at the end there. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2012, 07:33:58 pm »
That was some Kiffinesque decision-making by Georgia at the end there. 

Not quite Kiffinesque, but Georgia cost themselves at least two plays to win the game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2012, 07:48:36 pm »
Not quite Kiffinesque, but Georgia cost themselves at least two plays to win the game.

How can you not spike the ball there? I think the need to make sure your receivers understand the situation and have a clear idea of their routes trumps the possibility of catching the defense in confusion. As it turned out, the only confused people were on offense.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2012, 07:56:10 pm »
How can you not spike the ball there? I think the need to make sure your receivers understand the situation and have a clear idea of their routes trumps the possibility of catching the defense in confusion. As it turned out, the only confused people were on offense.

Well, there were 10 seconds left.  You're thinking, if we spike the ball, we probably get two more plays.  If we run a play into the end zone and it's incomplete, we still get two more plays.  Alabama has their prevent defense on the field...only three pass rushers.  If we spike, it allows the defense to substitute and reset.  I would have spiked too...I agree that getting your own people together and running the plays you want is the better move.  But running a play there on first down is not indefensible.  What you can't do thee is catch a pass short of the end zone, and that's exactly what happened.

Andyzipp

« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2012, 08:08:24 pm »
The ball was supposed to go to the pylon, but when it was tipped, the upfield receiver should have let it drop.

Hindsight and all.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2012, 08:11:01 pm »
Not a bad day for Baylor... Baylor Football beats a ranked Oklahoma State and Baylor Men's Basketball knocks off a top-10 ranked Kentucky.  Too bad the 1/2 billion dollar Powerball drawing wasn't tonight, I might've stood a chance...

The football game was Bizarro Baylor... offense kept blowing opportunities, and defense kept bailing them out.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 01, 2012, 08:15:26 pm »
The ball was supposed to go to the pylon, but when it was tipped, the upfield receiver should have let it drop.

Hindsight and all.

Exactly.  It wasn't necessarily running the play on first down, it was the execution of it. 

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:47 pm »
Well, there were 10 seconds left

That was the weirdest part. After the chains were moved there were 15 seconds left, but by the time Georgia finished lolly gagging around and snapped the friggin' ball they had pissed away 4-5 seconds. The lack of urgency there was mind blowing...

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2012, 09:32:01 am »
Not a bad day for Baylor... Baylor Football beats a ranked Oklahoma State and Baylor Men's Basketball knocks off a top-10 ranked Kentucky.  Too bad the 1/2 billion dollar Powerball drawing wasn't tonight, I might've stood a chance...
It was a beautiful day in the Wacohood. The postgame George's Celebration was outstanding, OSF.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:33:49 am by ybbodeus »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
It was a beautiful day in the Wacohood. The postgame George's Celebration was outstanding, OSF.

Given the way that Baylor finished the season, I would not want to be their bowl opponent. The same is true for Stanford.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2012, 10:07:09 am »
Given the way that Baylor finished the season, I would not want to be their bowl opponent. The same is true for Stanford.

Wisconsin didn't look too shitty last night either.
  -  Orson Welles

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2012, 11:10:18 am »
Wisconsin didn't look too shitty last night either.

It's the big 10. No worries.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2012, 11:12:25 am »

I blame that stadium.  There was a boat load of offensive dick stepping there the last few days.  Be glad it wasn't the Texans playing the Falcons on Thursday.  Kubiak could have set dick stepping records.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

I'm trying to think of the last time a Texas football or basketball team won a game they weren't expected to.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2012, 11:49:46 am »
I'm trying to think of the last time a Texas football or basketball team won a game they weren't expected to.

Baylor and Kansas State about 3 weeks ago?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Andyzipp

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:18 pm »
Baylor and Kansas State about 3 weeks ago?

JG means "We're Texas", not schools in the State of Texas.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2012, 01:08:08 pm »

Ahh, of course.  That's been so long that the meaning never even occurred to me.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

You are correct.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »

No idea on basketball. Football was Nebraska in 2010. Before that was Oklahoma in 2008.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »
Looks like it will be the bears versus the bears in San Diego -- UCLA and Baylor. Show will confirm or refute shortly.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:19 pm »
Looks like it will be the bears versus the bears in San Diego -- UCLA and Baylor. Show will confirm or refute shortly.

Baylor will kill UCLA. UCLA cannot score enough points to keep up with Baylor.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2012, 09:16:57 pm »
Baylor will kill UCLA. UCLA cannot score enough points to keep up with Baylor.

I hope you're right.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2012, 11:36:16 pm »
Baylor don't surf!

I don't see a blowout, and I don't see another Alamo bowl, either. Mora had a hell of a first year I. A rebuild mode. Art had a bell of a year, too, go end we were supposed to go back into hibernation mode pkst-zGriffin. If we could only figure out the month of October.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2012, 11:39:26 pm »
Baylor don't surf!

I don't see a blowout, and I don't see another Alamo bowl, either. Mora had a hell of a first year I. A rebuild mode. Art had a bell of a year, too, go end we were supposed to go back into hibernation mode pkst-zGriffin. If we could only figure out the month of October.

I would've stayed in HOU a couple of extra days to see BU at Reliant, but am doubtful of making it to San Diego.  Any of the SNS BU faithful planning on attending?!?

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2012, 12:06:06 am »
My gf (BU alum) is contemplating going. Since I can't make it to SA for the Horns and I loved our SD vacation in July, I may tag along is she goes.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2012, 09:39:54 am »
I would've stayed in HOU a couple of extra days to see BU at Reliant, but am doubtful of making it to San Diego.  Any of the SNS BU faithful planning on attending?!?

I wish, but money's too tight right now.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:02 pm »
Then just watch the Redskins.

drew corleone

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:55 am »
We booked today. Leaving at 6am on the 27th and coming home at 6am on the 28th. Have a hotel but no tickets yet. Thank God for free airfare.