Author Topic: Arizona Fall League  (Read 4711 times)

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Fall League
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »
See, that's a bizarre comment to me, because the one thing it seems everyone agrees on is that Mier's SS defense is exceptional, or at least well-above-average. The question has always been his bat, and he has shown flashes of talent there. But every year there seem to be a handful of MLB teams who simply need a good-fielding SS, and whether he hits is a very secondary concern. The 2012 WS Champs come to mind. While that's not necessarily a player you can say will have a long career, or be a starter year-in, year-out, it seems hyperbole to say that his "only" chance to even make the big leagues is as a utility man. "Best" chance, perhaps.
That's probably true in the Astros' case. With Villar (and who knows about Lowrie) ahead of him, and Fontana and Correa starting to breathe down his neck, he's unlikely to have a large window of opportunity to be their starting SS.

Exceptional defense?  I remember reading he was pretty good, but I don't remember any raving reviews.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 05:38:55 pm »
Exceptional defense?  I remember reading he was pretty good, but I don't remember any raving reviews.
I'm not talking Adam Everett level, but more than "pretty good". BA's scouting report after the 2009 season (when he was the Astros #2 prospect) said "He projects to stay at shortstop with a plus arm, great actions, good hands and above-average range to both sides." and they named him Best Infield Arm and Best Defensive Infielder in the system.

Around the same time he was named #2 prospect in the Appy League, and that report said "Mier is a classic shortstop defender who shows great instincts and maturity on the field to go with above-average range and arm strength. His quick feet and impressive technique, combined with average speed, make him a rare high school shortstop who projects to stay at the position as a pro. A need for more consistency in turning double plays and in making strong throws on routine plays were the only critiques of Mier's defensive play, but they're not long-term concerns. 

After the 2010 season, they wrote "Mier draws J.J. Hardy comparisons as a solid athlete with smooth actions and sound fundamental skills at shortstop. He's fairly consistent and projects as a possible plus defender with soft hands and a slightly above-average arm. "

After 2011, "A good athlete with fringy speed, Mier has above-average defensive tools with soft hands and an accurate, average throwing arm. He improved at making the routine play in 2011, cutting his errors to 22 after making 34 the previous season. He made better decisions and avoided high-risk plays."

So yeah, "exceptional" was probably too strong, but a SS with above-average range, arm, hands, and instincts is nothing to sniff at. I may be biased, though. I think he could make a bit of a comeback and end up being a decent MLB player.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 06:41:27 pm »
I'm not talking Adam Everett level, but more than "pretty good". BA's scouting report after the 2009 season (when he was the Astros #2 prospect) said "He projects to stay at shortstop with a plus arm, great actions, good hands and above-average range to both sides." and they named him Best Infield Arm and Best Defensive Infielder in the system.

Around the same time he was named #2 prospect in the Appy League, and that report said "Mier is a classic shortstop defender who shows great instincts and maturity on the field to go with above-average range and arm strength. His quick feet and impressive technique, combined with average speed, make him a rare high school shortstop who projects to stay at the position as a pro. A need for more consistency in turning double plays and in making strong throws on routine plays were the only critiques of Mier's defensive play, but they're not long-term concerns. 

After the 2010 season, they wrote "Mier draws J.J. Hardy comparisons as a solid athlete with smooth actions and sound fundamental skills at shortstop. He's fairly consistent and projects as a possible plus defender with soft hands and a slightly above-average arm. "

After 2011, "A good athlete with fringy speed, Mier has above-average defensive tools with soft hands and an accurate, average throwing arm. He improved at making the routine play in 2011, cutting his errors to 22 after making 34 the previous season. He made better decisions and avoided high-risk plays."

So yeah, "exceptional" was probably too strong, but a SS with above-average range, arm, hands, and instincts is nothing to sniff at. I may be biased, though. I think he could make a bit of a comeback and end up being a decent MLB player.

Cool.  I wasn't calling you out or anything, just never remembered reading anything other than disappointment.  Maybe Mier will become the Astros version of Kareem Jackson.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »
Cool.  I wasn't calling you out or anything, just never remembered reading anything other than disappointment.  Maybe Mier will become the Astros version of Kareem Jackson.
No worries, didn't think you were.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy