Author Topic: Week 01/30 - 02/05: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Recieve vol. I  (Read 21556 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Mark McLemore
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 11:00:02 am »
Quote:

Quote:

While I've never seen him pitch, the thing I have to wonder though considering that at 24 where he's projected to be in Corpus Christi (AA) is "how much of a prospect is he?".

The Astros have done this before with the AA club.  Travis Smith, Mike Burns, Brandon Puffer to name a few, even the return of Eric Ireland two season's ago to give it one more try in this organization.  McLemore seems to be following the pattern of those pitchers and although Travis Smith never made it to the big show with Houston, he did manage to make it with the St. Louis Cardinals the following year after his AA stint in Round Rock.

There are chances for pitchers to move up quicker than positional players.  In the year that Mike Gallo moved up to the big leagues, he started in A Ball Lexington.  He was dissapointed he was starting so low, but he was promoted to AA Round Rock after a month, then AAA New Orleans two months later and then the big leagues in September.  He made the Houston Astros team the following year.

Mclemore has made a steady climb up the Astros org since being drafted out of college.  He spent one year at short-season, one year at low-A.  He was not spectacular there.  And he spent one year, last year, at high-A, his best season so far.  I think it says a lot about him that the Astros used a 40-man spot for him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Re: Mark McLemore
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 01:48:43 pm »
Do you have a scouting report on McLemore? There must be something about him that the Astros really like because he wasn't nearly as good (statistically) as Houlton or Burns who weren't added to the 40 man.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Baseball America
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 01:50:12 pm »
Baseball America's Top 10 list came out today for anyone who's interested.

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

I'm surprised neither Zobrist or Qualls made it.

awrr

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball America
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2005, 01:54:32 pm »
Quote:

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

for all the grief we get about having a severely depleted farm, i don't think this is a weak list at all.  we don't have the wealth of prospects like the best teams, but we certainly have enough to make a deal happen (if we're alive come the deadline).  i'll be interested to see where we end up in their talent rankings... surely we come up from our dip to 29th last year.  it's a shame i have class at 2, i was looking forward to asking some questions in the chat.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Hector Gimenez
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2005, 02:14:04 pm »
I was a little surprised to see that Gimenez was left off BBAmerica's top ten list.  I know he's struggled offensively through his minor league career, but from what I'd heard, thought his defense would be enough to keep him in the mix.  On a positive note, I'm pretty sure that he's performed well in winter ball.  Is he set to start the year at AA?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 02:14:13 pm »
Quote:

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

Zobrist is not a high ceiling guy according to BA.  He's pretty mature and was likely too good for the NYPL hence the good stats.  Expect to see him in Salem in 05 so we'll see how he does there.

Qualls is expect to be in the Astros bully as he performed well at the end of last season, so that would be one explanation for why not.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 02:15:35 pm »
Quote:

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

Since you've given the list and the link I'd encourage anyone who has an intelligent question for their email chat to send in a question early.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Hector Gimenez
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 02:22:03 pm »
Quote:

I was a little surprised to see that Gimenez was left off BBAmerica's top ten list.  I know he's struggled offensively through his minor league career, but from what I'd heard, thought his defense would be enough to keep him in the mix.  On a positive note, I'm pretty sure that he's performed well in winter ball.  Is he set to start the year at AA?

You have to take into account what BA looks for in their lists.  They are a potential first, performance second group when making the lists (hence Pence over Zobrist).  And, they love offense, even from defensive positions which is likely why Gimenez isn't there.  But, heck, go to BAonline and ask them yourself today.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Zobrist
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 02:24:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Zobrist played in the Rookie League and was fairly old (24?).  So I'm sure that everyone (including the Astros) will look at next season as a good reading for this kid.  I'm guessing that he'll get bumped up the High-A Salem, with a possible bump to AA not being out of the question, should he find success....as the Astros will push him due to his age factor.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 02:36:13 pm »
 You have to take into account what BA looks for in their lists.

Yeah, I know....but I also thought that they (BBA) weighed more heavily in favor of prospects at higher levels (ie Burke as our #1 prospect), and Gimenez did play at AA last season.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 02:46:13 pm »
Quote:

You have to take into account what BA looks for in their lists.

Yeah, I know....but I also thought that they (BBA) weighed more heavily in favor of prospects at higher levels (ie Burke as our #1 prospect), and Gimenez did play at AA last season.

My guess is they don't project him to do much offensively, so they don't rank him as high.  But, go ask them yourself.
Goin' for a bus ride.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 02:48:01 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

Zobrist is not a high ceiling guy according to BA.  He's pretty mature and was likely too good for the NYPL hence the good stats.  Expect to see him in Salem in 05 so we'll see how he does there.

Qualls is expect to be in the Astros bully as he performed well at the end of last season, so that would be one explanation for why not.

Zobrist may not be a high ceiling guy, but it's hard to argue with the 31/43 K/BB rate or the .339/.438/.463 line he put up.

The thing that made me think Qualls was going to make it was where they ranked Leicester (8). The Cubs constantly receive praise for such great arms, but Leicester seems to have the same kind of stuff with much worse control.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 03:07:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1. Chris Burke, 2b
2. Ezequiel Astacio, rhp
3. Willy Taveras, of
4. Mitch Einertson, of
5. Troy Patton, lhp
6. Matt Albers, rhp
7. Taylor Buchholz, rhp
8. Fernando Nieve, rhp
9. Josh Anderson, of
10. Hunter Pence, of

The Link

Zobrist may not be a high ceiling guy, but it's hard to argue with the 31/43 K/BB rate or the .339/.438/.463 line he put up.

The thing that made me think Qualls was going to make it was where they ranked Leicester (8). The Cubs constantly receive praise for such great arms, but Leicester seems to have the same kind of stuff with much worse control.

BA would argue that Zobrist was too advanced for the NYPL and that his numbers are overblown because of it.  The thing I like though is that you never know what's going to happen.  Look for him in Salem this year and see how he does against more advanced pitching.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 03:11:01 pm »
 My guess is they don't project him to do much offensively, so they don't rank him as high. But, go ask them yourself.

I'd normally be all over the chat session with Jim Callis, but have a 3:30meeting and won't be available to do so.  If the question isn't answered then I'll email him tomorrow.  I've found the BBA staff to be very accomodating.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2005, 04:30:47 pm »
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that he's performed well in winter ball.  Is he set to start the year at AA?

He hit .308/.342/.483 ... 7BB & 34K (ugh) but overall a nice surprise.  Interestingly, he spent about 1/3rd of his time at 1B since Raul Chavez was the regular catcher.

As far as where he will start the season, I'm betting on a repeat of AA.
Up in the Air

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2005, 04:42:49 pm »
Quote:

As far as where he will start the season, I'm betting on a repeat of AA.

Why don't you think they'll try him in AAA?
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Mitch Einertson
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2005, 05:15:41 pm »
My apologies if this is common knowledge, but is he invited to spring training?

No? in Austin

Re: Mitch Einertson
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2005, 05:27:04 pm »
Quote:

My apologies if this is common knowledge, but is he invited to spring training?

No.  Not at this time any way.  The minor leaguers on the 40 man roster get to report to the major league camp and spring training invitees like Wendell, Burba, Gipson, Rivera and Norton also get to come to big league camp.

Most of minor leaguers report to minor league camp that usually starts several weeks after big league camp starts.  We will have some interesting information on Einerston later, as Jacksonian disemenates all the Instructional League info we've recieved.  Einerston was on the IL roster this winter for a reason.

Stay tuned.

No? in Austin

Baseball America's Chat Wrap with Jim Callis on the Astros
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2005, 06:26:37 pm »
Minor league conversation with Jim Callis at Baseball America is wrapped and located at the following link for your reading pleasure:

LINK:  Houston Astros Minor League Chat Wrap - Baseball America

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2005, 11:10:23 am »
Quote:

Why don't you think they'll try [Gimenez] in AAA?

First, there is the pattern (Carlos Maldonado, John Buck) of having catchers who were highly thought of but only marginally successful with the bat repeat AA.  Chris Burke at 2B might also fit this pattern.  (Or even CF Mike Rosamond who flunked out his second year).

Second, there is the fact that the 'Stros have resigned a couple of journeymen ... Chris Tremie & Dax Norris.  They both figure to get AB's to help some team, but I would expect Gimenez to play full-time.  Conclusion:  Norris & Tremie will split time at AAA.

And third, both Round Rock (first year in AAA) and Corpus Christie (first year ever) will probably get some support from the organization in terms of fielding a winning team.  This is very common these days for new minor league affiliates.  They will not undermine player development, but in a 'close call' they will (imo) opt for giving a guy like Gimenez a chance to do really well at AA rather than risk him struggling at AAA.
Up in the Air