Author Topic: Prague/Budapest  (Read 1500 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
Prague/Budapest
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »
Will have a day to kill in Budapest and about three in Prague.  Any suggestions besides going on an absinthe binge?
Purity of Essence

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Prague/Budapest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »
Walking tours.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »
Will have a day to kill in Budapest and about three in Prague.  Any suggestions besides going on an absinthe binge?

i have a great tour guide to recommended for a private walking tour in Prague.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

I haven't been in a long time but there was a cool bar/restaurant in Prague called Upetnika.  It was about halfway between downtown and the airport.   It was kind of a hockey hangout when Ceska won the winter olympics.  Great food and inexpensive.  The symphony is always worthwhile in Prague.  Id you haven't seen the castle it's way cool.  Old Town is pricey and toursity but you can get great deals on crystal.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:58 pm »

Bunga Bunga party.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58:44 pm »

If you rent a car on the cheap for a day, drive SW out of Prague for an hour and go town hopping. The area is as pretty as Bavaria but a lot cheaper, equally quaint (and less touristy) and each town has a restaurant/pub or two with great local fare. When the locals figure out you are from the states, they'll be very friendly and inquisitive.

Driving between the towns is a blast. Narrow 1.5 lane roads with a white line on each side (no center line), very smooth and well kept and they follow the contours of the land so it's like being on a go cart path. I picked up my car on a Euro Delivery program last fall and enjoyed the drive there even more than the autobahn.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
I have been away from this forum for a while and missed this.  I studied in Prague and have traveled often to both Budapest & Prague in recent years.  I'm glad to pass along tips if you are still looking forward to the visit.  And if you have already returned, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  They are both among my favorite cities.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:03 pm »
Check your PM, Taras ... probably more than you wanted.  You will love the Danube trip ... especially the stretch arouns Esztergom where it runs between Hungary & Slovakia and the section northwest of Vienna where it goes by the old abbey at Melk.  Hope the weather holds for you and you get plenty of sun. 

Up in the Air