Author Topic: WTF? Fernando Martinez...  (Read 2744 times)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
WTF? Fernando Martinez...
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Is in today's starting lineup hitting cleanup. What corresponding roster move was made for that? Did they DL Lee, because Downs is at 1B today too.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: WTF? Fernando Martinez...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:10 pm »
You sure it isn't JD?

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:26:02 pm »
Personally, I always thought if Edgar Martinez was going to un-retire he'd done so for the Mariners, but evidently he is back in the game and batting clean-up for the Astros today and playing left field.  No idea what JD'll be doing today...

In a slightly lesser over-reaction... Mr. The Altuve-2, Lowrie-3?!? WTF?!? In what world (other than Millsies world) would it not be more appropriate to hit Lowrie-2, Mr. The Altuve-3?!?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »
You sure it isn't JD?

Not according to MLB.com's Gameday link. However, I've got to think that it is wrong. I put the question directly to Fuckhouse and will report back when I hear back from her.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Noe

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Personally, I always thought if Edgar Martinez was going to un-retire he'd done so for the Mariners, but evidently he is back in the game and batting clean-up for the Astros today and playing left field.  No idea what JD'll be doing today...

In a slightly lesser over-reaction... Mr. The Altuve-2, Lowrie-3?!? WTF?!? In what world (other than Millsies world) would it not be more appropriate to hit Lowrie-2, Mr. The Altuve-3?!?

L
R
L
R

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Noe

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »
FIFY, but yes, Pots kinda cleared that'n up in the GZ...

Ahum... why does it even need to be *cleared* up? And even if he's a switcher, my guess... and it's only a guess mind you... Lowrie will be batting L. Just saying. Cueto on the mound is a tough customer... methinks Mills knows what he's doing with the lineup.

But I'll call Jimmy D and have him tell me if that is correct! *sigh*

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »
Ahum... why does it even need to be *cleared* up? And even if he's a switcher, my guess... and it's only a guess mind you... Lowrie will be batting L. Just saying. Cueto on the mound is a tough customer... methinks Mills knows what he's doing with the lineup.

Friggin' chill man.  Stupid or not, I was curious why Lowrie was batting 3 with Mr. The Altuve batting 2.  Yeah, maybe didn't think it through, but still was not clear.  So, to answer your question of why it "need[ed] to be *cleared* up," because someone (in this case me) had asked the question (stupid or not) and it got answered.  Anything else you'd like *cleared* up today?!? *sigh*

Noe

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:44:33 pm »
Friggin' chill man.  Stupid or not, I was curious why Lowrie was batting 3 with Mr. The Altuve batting 2.  Yeah, maybe didn't think it through, but still was not clear.  So, to answer your question of why it "need[ed] to be *cleared* up," because someone (in this case me) had asked the question (stupid or not) and it got answered.  Anything else you'd like *cleared* up today?!? *sigh*

I am chilled. But this whole thing is getting comedic, just saying (It's not even May yet!). Don't mind me though, just an observation and nothing serious at all.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 02:48:40 pm »

But I'll call Jimmy D and have him tell me if that is correct! *sigh*

Cueto is indeed a tough rightie, no doubt about it. While my initial reaction was similar to OSF's about Lowrie hitting third, I think that the explanation of RLRL made sense to me. Millsie knows what he's doing making out the lineup card. I'm glad to see Buck finally healthy enough to get a start--I was worried that we in essence were playing a man down since Buck wasn't available to play in the field until today.

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »
I'm glad to see Buck finally healthy enough to get a start

I'm not, he's a better pinch hitter than starter. 4 for 6(with a walk) versus 3 for 18 (no walks)

Noe

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 02:55:01 pm »
Cueto is indeed a tough rightie, no doubt about it. While my initial reaction was similar to OSF's about Lowrie hitting third, I think that the explanation of RLRL made sense to me. Millsie knows what he's doing making out the lineup card. I'm glad to see Buck finally healthy enough to get a start--I was worried that we in essence were playing a man down since Buck wasn't available to play in the field until today.

Yup. If you're Millsie, you think "I've got game one won" and if you're job as a manager is win games (re: series), especially on the road, you have to think every game "What gives me the best *chance* at a win" and you go from there. Methinks Millsie wants this game somehow, some way, because he's going to throw Lyles at them tomorrow and they're facing Latos.  So you do your best to get a win from either of those two games.

In fact, it would not surprise me if he runs out the same lineup tomorrow.

Noe

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »
I'm not, he's a better pinch hitter than starter. 4 for 6(with a walk) versus 3 for 18 (no walks)

Well, aside from small sample size and all... a lineup works if the guys in front of you do their job. Any decent hitter becomes a very good hitter if men are running around the bases in front of you. They need to make Cueto challenge the hitters with strikes because he cannot afford traffic (the boon of any good pitcher). With no men on board, Cueto will use his changeup more and that is when his fastball becomes almost untouchable. Maybe Buck having good pinch hitting numbers is conducive to having an aggressive approach when he's called on to hit in the pinch.  They just may need that approach from the bottom third today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:03:33 pm by Noe in Austin »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »

You obviously missed my point, so I'll repeat it. Millsie has been at a competitive disadvantage since Buck got hurt because he was on the roster but not available to play in the field. I'll repeat: I'm glad that Buck is healthy enough to play in the field. I didn't say that I was glad that Buck was starting. FWIW, I'd prefer to see Bogusevic out there starting and leave Buck for pinch hitting duties because he's been really good at that.

Noe

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 03:02:04 pm »
You obviously missed my point, so I'll repeat it. Millsie has been at a competitive disadvantage since Buck got hurt because he was on the roster but not available to play in the field. I'll repeat: I'm glad that Buck is healthy enough to play in the field. I didn't say that I was glad that Buck was starting. FWIW, I'd prefer to see Bogusevic out there starting and leave Buck for pinch hitting duties because he's been really good at that.

One thing Mills said about Bogey is that he wanted more aggressiveness from him. In today's game, he needs guys that don't outthink themselves when they step into the box.  Methinks (again with all the thinking!) Mills wants some aggressiveness from his bottom third of the lineup because he thinks he has a good chance of men getting on base. The problem with Houston for the early part of the season was lack of bringing in those guys from the bottom third of the lineup.

He can't afford that today against Cueto.

(FWIW - Johnson has been swinging the bat better, and Bogey as well)

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 03:06:42 pm »
Well, aside from small sample size and all... a lineup works if the guys in front of you do their job. Any decent hitter becomes a very good hitter if men are running around the bases in front of you. They need to make Cueto challenge the hitters with strikes because he cannot afford traffic (the boon of any good pitcher). With no men on board, Cueto will use his changeup more and that is when his fastball becomes almost untouchable.

The whole post by Pots was cockeyed to begin with. You're correct: small sample size, indeed. Cueto's out pitch is the cutter, which is what makes him so tough to right-handed hitters: according to the MLB.com splits, Cueto hasn't allowed a single earned run this season to right-handed hitters. Cueto has even been pretty damn good with traffic on the basepaths so far.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »
One thing Mills said about Bogey is that he wanted more aggressiveness from him. In today's game, he needs guys that don't outthink themselves when they step into the box.  Methinks (again with all the thinking!) Mills wants some aggressiveness from his bottom third of the lineup because he thinks he has a good chance of men getting on base. The problem with Houston for the early part of the season was lack of bringing in those guys from the bottom third of the lineup.

He can't afford that today against Cueto.

(FWIW - Johnson has been swinging the bat better, and Bogey as well)

I agree.Plus, CJ is a streak hitter who is 3 for 8 (warning: small sample size) against Cueto.

Noe

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 03:13:13 pm »
The whole post by Pots was cockeyed to begin with. You're correct: small sample size, indeed. Cueto's out pitch is the cutter, which is what makes him so tough to right-handed hitters: according to the MLB.com splits, Cueto hasn't allowed a single earned run this season to right-handed hitters. Cueto has even been pretty damn good with traffic on the basepaths so far.
A misplaced cutter to a left handed batter is a low fastball... the kind they love to hit! I don't remember which, but either Lowrie or Shaeffer are very good low ball hitters. Maybe both.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:23:33 pm by Noe in Austin »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »
A misplaced cutter to a left handed batter is a low fastball... they kind they love to hit! I don't remember which, but either Lowrie or Shaeffer are very good low ball hitters. Maybe both.

Yep. Don't go down and in against lefties as a general rule. IIRC, both are good low ball hitters.