Author Topic: RG3: Davey O'Brien Award Winner; Heisman Trophy Winner  (Read 10655 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
RG3: Davey O'Brien Award Winner; Heisman Trophy Winner
« on: December 10, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »
Congratulations to Robert Griffin III on winning the Davey O'Brien Award and the Heisman Trophy.  Damn proud of you young man, damn proud!  Sic 'Em!!!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

remy

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: RG3: Davey O'Brien Award Winner; Heisman Trophy Winner
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:41 pm »
Loved Robert's speech tonight, loved the socks, loved Coach Briles hootin' and hollerin' and getting misty-eyed.  I've never been prouder to be a Bear, never been happier for the university. Great things are happening across the board, the bubble is bursting.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:10:22 pm »
Congrats to him and Baylor.  Very deserving.  If I thought he had a chance, I would have watched.  Sorry to have missed it.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:10:24 am »
nice guy wins. for once they got it right
forever is composed entirely of nows

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:29:54 am »
He was my pick despite the LSU candidate.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 06:25:36 am »
He was my pick despite the LSU candidate.

What LSU candidate?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:44:02 am »
What LSU candidate?

I think he's talking about that Honey Bear guy. Wait, I mean Sugar Badger guy.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:26 am »
I think he's talking about that Honey Bear guy. Wait, I mean Sugar Badger guy.

Never figured him even in the running.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:33 am »
Never figured him even in the running.

I didn't think that he had a shot either, but you must admit that it is a remarkable achievement for a sophomore CB to have even been made a finalist.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »
I didn't think that he had a shot either, but you must admit that it is a remarkable achievement for a sophomore CB to have even been made a finalist.
I thought it was kinda bullshit to send him to NYC over Kennum. He is good though.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 02:11:00 pm »
Excellent piece on RG3 at CBS Sports.  LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 02:41:55 pm »

Well, considering the LSU hype machine...

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 02:53:00 pm »
Well, considering the LSU hype machine...

You mean the machine that's helped produce 0 winners in the last 50 years?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:41 pm »

Hey, they can't all be Billy Cannon.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »

No the machine that gets a So. DB on the radar screen.  Which LSU players in the last 50 years do you think got screwed?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:13 pm »
No the machine that gets a So. DB on the radar screen.  Which LSU players in the last 50 years do you think got screwed?

Bert Jones.  Fucking Big 8.  LSU machine didn't get him on the radar screen.  Hell, he was suspended mid-year for a game or so.  His penchant for big plays on national tv got him the notice.
Goin' for a bus ride.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:30 pm »
I thought it was kinda bullshit to send him to NYC over Kennum. He is good though.

Bullshit to send him to NYC? Or bullshit that he received more votes/points?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »
Bert Jones.  Fucking Big 8.  LSU machine didn't get him on the radar screen.  Hell, he was suspended mid-year for a game or so.  His penchant for big plays on national tv got him the notice.

You misunderstand.  LSU being on National TV, being ranked #1, this idea that if it's LSU, it has to be good is what got him on the radar.  That's the LSU hype.  It certainly wasn't because he's one of the top five (or even top 10) players in the country.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 06:30:42 pm »
You misunderstand.  LSU being on National TV, being ranked #1, this idea that if it's LSU, it has to be good is what got him on the radar.  That's the LSU hype.  It certainly wasn't because he's one of the top five (or even top 10) players in the country.

HH, I respectfully disagree. That kid has a nose for  the ball and for the big play. He also is an excellent punt returner in the clutch. I had him way up there in the list of the best defensive players.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »
HH, I respectfully disagree. That kid has a nose for  the ball and for the big play. He also is an excellent punt returner in the clutch. I had him way up there in the list of the best defensive players.

He's a fine defensive player.  Is he one of the top five players in the country?  Certainly not.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »
He's a fine defensive player.  Is he one of the top five players in the country?  Certainly not.

Hold on here. The Heisman goes to the best player in the country? Whaaaat?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
Bullshit to send him to NYC? Or bullshit that he received more votes/points?

Both really.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:26 pm »
RG3 AND Scarlett Johansson on Letterman tonight. And most of you goons are probably already in bed.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 10:46:12 pm »
And most of you goons are probably already in bed.

Shit.  I don't even know where my bed is anymore.  I just pass out where I land.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
RG3 AND Scarlett Johansson on Letterman tonight. And most of you goons are probably already in bed.

How long has Letterman been so ridiculously unfunny?  That was painful, but I was happy to see RG3.  Little surprised he didn't stick around on the couch for Scarlett though...

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:57 pm »
Nice avatar, Remy.

remy

• View Profile

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:54 am »
Danke.

https://www.congressclothing.com/Product.aspx?eid=1097

Among the many things I find annoying... Mom was asking me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her just to go to Walmart and buy me a couple of Baylor and/or RG3 t-shirts. Simple and cheap, no?!? She went to Walmart and Academy in Conroe. Zilch, nada.  Went to the mall. Nada. Called a dozen or so shops in Conroe/Houston. Nada,  No Baylor or RG3 stuff.  What a crock...  BTW, if you know where to find some cheap Baylor and/or RG3 stuff in the Conroe/N. Houston area (i.e. I don't want my momma spending crap on me for Christmas), I'm all ears...

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 01:14:26 am »
Among the many things I find annoying... Mom was asking me what I wanted for Christmas and I told her just to go to Walmart and buy me a couple of Baylor and/or RG3 t-shirts. Simple and cheap, no?!? She went to Walmart and Academy in Conroe. Zilch, nada.  Went to the mall. Nada. Called a dozen or so shops in Conroe/Houston. Nada,  No Baylor or RG3 stuff.  What a crock...  BTW, if you know where to find some cheap Baylor and/or RG3 stuff in the Conroe/N. Houston area (i.e. I don't want my momma spending crap on me for Christmas), I'm all ears...

Don't even get me started.  It doesn't matter what store you go to here in Austin (Walmart, Target, JC Penney, you name it), the distribution of team apparel is as follows:
UT: 64%
aTm: 20%
Cowboys: 15%
Random bullshit teams like OU, TT, NYY, stRangers, Jakes: 1%

No Baylor stuff, no Texans stuff.  Period.  Oh, except I found a pretty cool Baylor long-sleeve tee shirt for my wife last week at... of all places... HEB.  13 bucks.  I thought I must have been dreaming.  But honestly, the only place you're really going to find anything is the interwebs.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 07:11:52 am »

YOU had him way up there? where did you go to school? he is very, very good, certainly, but not one of the top 5 at any position.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 07:45:53 am »
How long has Letterman been so ridiculously unfunny?  That was painful, but I was happy to see RG3.  Little surprised he didn't stick around on the couch for Scarlett though...
I've thought the same about Letterman for a long time.  Pretty sure he must capture a solid demographic because that is one tiresome act.
Purity of Essence

Andyzipp

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:06 am »
I've thought the same about Letterman for a long time.  Pretty sure he must capture a solid demographic because that is one tiresome act.

No more tiresome than Leno, but people keep tuning in.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 08:34:17 am »
Don't even get me started.  It doesn't matter what store you go to here in Austin (Walmart, Target, JC Penney, you name it), the distribution of team apparel is as follows:

No Baylor stuff, no Texans stuff.  Period.  Oh, except I found a pretty cool Baylor long-sleeve tee shirt for my wife last week at... of all places... HEB.  13 bucks.  I thought I must have been dreaming.  But honestly, the only place you're really going to find anything is the interwebs.

there's a pretty decent sized section of Texans stuff at the Academy at 183 and Oak Knoll.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Andyzipp

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:21 am »
Don't even get me started.  It doesn't matter what store you go to here in Austin (Walmart, Target, JC Penney, you name it), the distribution of team apparel is as follows:

No Baylor stuff, no Texans stuff.  Period.  Oh, except I found a pretty cool Baylor long-sleeve tee shirt for my wife last week at... of all places... HEB.  13 bucks.  I thought I must have been dreaming.  But honestly, the only place you're really going to find anything is the interwebs.

Not picking here, but Baylor doesn't have enough bandwagon fans to get a whole lot of shelf space outside of Waco.

Texas gear sells best, because the audience is a massive alumni base, and just about everyone else in Texas who doesn't care for A&M.  At your regular Academy (outside of College Station), the amount of merchandise is 3 to 1 over any other school.

A&M is next, but the brand doesn't appeal to anyone outside of alumni and current students/families. 

In Houston, I've seen a fair amount of U of H gear over the past 3 years.  If Texas merch is on 6 racks, A&M merch is on 2, and Houston is on one. 

Occasionally, you'll see a Rice ball caps, but that's about it.  But they're a lot like Baylor in that with a small alumni base, it's just not worth it to devote shelf space to their merchandise.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:59 am »

boofuckinghoo. Waco is 100 miles up the road.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 09:36:22 am »

And their computers are even closer. 

I guess they'll have to suffer the indignity of buying t-shirts and beef jerky on separate stops.   
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

remy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:47 am »

The point is it's a hell of a lot closer than Norman or Lubbock, and I know a whole lot of Baylor people in Austin.

ETA: Actually, one of the saddest experiences of my life was about eight years ago stopping at a Sports Authority IN WACO.  Walls and walls of burnt orange gear, not a single Baylor piece.  I'm thinking maybe that's the because the bookstore and spirit shop have exclusive rights to sell BU shit in Waco, but still... Was like seeing Hitler in a synagogue.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:18:38 am by remy »

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:51 am »
Was like seeing Hitler in a synagogue.

Yeah. Right.

As if there were any Jews in Waco.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 11:28:01 am »
Yeah. Right.

As if there were any Jews in Waco.

Are you trying to tell me that Dr. Pepper is 'unclean'?

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 11:29:03 am »
Are you trying to tell me that Dr. Pepper is 'unclean'?

If it's treyf, I don't want to keep Kosher.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 11:42:30 am »
We're a small autonomous collective, remy.  Each year we used to take turns getting our asses kicked by the powers of the south and at least two from the north--some years we got to play Kansas. 

Even with the exciting recognition Robert brought us last week, we can't truly hope for t-shirt fans, tank-top fans or even tube-top fans--just lots and lots of skilled attorneys, along with a few more doctors, dentists and accountants. 

Just remember that wherever you find four Baptists, you can always find a fifth.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:06 am »
If you guys benefit from the unrest in College Station, you just might pick up some of those t-shirt fans in the next couple of years.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:23 am »
Just remember that wherever you find four Baptists, you can always find a fifth.

Nice!

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 11:53:13 am »
Nice!
It's why one of my Baptist buddies here went Catholic; got tired of sharing with three other people and even more tired of feeling guilty about it.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 11:55:02 am »
It's why one of my Baptist buddies here went Catholic; got tired of sharing with three other people and even more tired of feeling guilty about it.

Wait, he went Catholic to avoid guilt?!?

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:31 am »
I believe it was to help deal with the guilt in a more expeditious fashion. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2011, 12:00:10 pm »
If you guys benefit from the unrest in College Station, you just might pick up some of those t-shirt fans in the next couple of years.

A&M has t-shirt fans? 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:54 pm »
A&M has t-shirt fans? 

I don't know, but word is that Baylor may be the beneficiary of some decommits if it comes to that.

Andyzipp

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »
A&M has t-shirt fans? 

Not since the 90's.  Texas owns the state, and are perceived to be THE college in Texas.

Andyzipp

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 12:34:15 pm »
I don't know, but word is that Baylor may be the beneficiary of some decommits if it comes to that.

We won't have decommits.  We're going to start paying players again.  The losses we're going to have are from the JuCo ranks, as oddly, the SEC has different (not more stringent, just different) requirements than the Big 12 for JuCos.  Two of the three from Blinn aren't going to qualify.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »
We're a small autonomous collective, remy.  Each year we used to take turns getting our asses kicked by the powers of the south and at least two from the north--some years we got to play Kansas. 

Even with the exciting recognition Robert brought us last week, we can't truly hope for t-shirt fans, tank-top fans or even tube-top fans--just lots and lots of skilled attorneys, along with a few more doctors, dentists and accountants. 

Point of order: that's with Episopalians.  With Baptists, they're just careful not to drink around one another.

Biggest change at Baylor: the realization by the university that most of their alumni and students like to imbibe, especially on game day, so actual tailgating occurs.  Still officially off limits to drink outside of Floyd Casey but you can down your last swig of cerveza right before you get your ticket scanned.   Will still probably be a while yet before you can get Shiner on tap at the SUB.
Purity of Essence

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »
Shiner at the SUB?  You probably just gave the ghost of George Betros (and the Bear who bought his place) a nightmare that neither will want to ever have again.  I can see allowing drinking in Daniel Shanty Town recreation but that would be pushing it.  Let's get a George's Tent over by the baseball stadium.

Speaking of the tent, I have to think the burgeoning tailgating scene has damn near killed the George's Tent revenue stream--or taken a mighty big bite out of it.  That tent, though, is what got the Baylor folks to start looking at things more realistically.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »
ETA: Actually, one of the saddest experiences of my life was about eight years ago stopping at a Sports Authority IN WACO.  Walls and walls of burnt orange gear, not a single Baylor piece.  I'm thinking maybe that's the because the bookstore and spirit shop have exclusive rights to sell BU shit in Waco, but still... Was like seeing Hitler in a synagogue.

Waco stores are a lot better the last 2-3 years. Some of that is a more intentional effort by BU Athletics to engage the community; mostly it's b/c of wins, I imagine. But you can get a good variety of BU stuff at Academy, Walmart, Target, HEB, wherever now -- not to mention the local printers like Congress, Bear Cotton, QTI, W Promotions, etc., and of course the bookstores on/around campus.

Still plenty of UT and A&M stuff around, too, but for reasons already outlined on this thread, that won't change.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 01:38:02 pm »
Not since the 90's.  Texas owns the state, and are perceived to be THE college in Texas.

Perceived?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Andyzipp

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »
Perceived?

Perceived.  Believed to be, yes.  It is possible to believe something that is true. 

There are also 12 other FBS schools in the state, believe it or not.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 05:22:58 pm »
Perceived.  Believed to be, yes.  It is possible to believe something that is true. 

There are also 12 other FBS schools in the state, believe it or not.

Wow.  Who knew.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »
How is Kevin avoiding the indignant bile for leaving that Briles received in spades four years ago?  I recognize that it might have a little to do with Baylor hatred and just how low the program had sunk post-Teaff--it doesn't belong, etc., I get it.  However, Art did manage to get the program out of the ditch that his predecessors had found, just as he has done with the program in Waco that had been written off by nearly everyone as unfixable. 

I recall the weekend Tulsa blasted the Cougars in '07 was the same week Art was believed to be interviewing for the Baylor job (and eventually hired).  I can understand how that wouldn't sit well with anyone associatged with the program.  However, the interviewing and hiring of Summerlin was more than likely the same week that Southern Mississloppi took down Houston in a FAR more significant game for the program than the one Art lost in '07.

I'm not calling hypocrisy, I assure you.  I'm just trying to understand that under very similar cirumstances why there was such prolonged hatred towards Briles from Houston's fanbase (not to mention from the media, most of which I don't believe went to UofH--Cougar Matt withstanding) and not towards Summerlin.  Perhaps Andy or Phil/CS can clear up the timeline for me on Kevin's hiring and by extension the notion that the two situations are as similar as I'm interpreting them to be. 

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:19 pm »
How is Kevin avoiding the indignant bile for leaving that Briles received in spades four years ago?  I recognize that it might have a little to do with Baylor hatred and just how low the program had sunk post-Teaff--it doesn't belong, etc., I get it.  However, Art did manage to get the program out of the ditch that his predecessors had found, just as he has done with the program in Waco that had been written off by nearly everyone as unfixable. 

I'm not calling hypocrisy, I assure you.  I'm just trying to understand that under very similar cirumstances why there was such prolonged hatred towards Briles from Houston's fanbase (not to mention from the media, most of which I don't believe went to UofH--Cougar Matt withstanding) and not towards Summerlin.  Perhaps Andy or Phil/CS can clear up the timeline for me on Kevin's hiring and by extension the notion that the two situations are as similar as I'm interpreting them to be. 

I'm not aware of all the details to fully explain, but the fact that briles is an alum whereas Sumlin is not probably played a role.

Andyzipp

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 08:20:31 pm »
Sumlin (or his representation) was very likely contacted  by an individual regent the day after Thanksgiving

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »
Sumlin (or his representation) was very likely contacted  by an individual regent the day after Thanksgiving

Didn't Keenum come out and say that A&M reps were on the sidelines talking to Sumlin during the CUSA championship?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Andyzipp

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2011, 09:39:50 pm »
Didn't Keenum come out and say that A&M reps were on the sidelines talking to Sumlin during the CUSA championship?

I'm sure the rumors were on the minds of the kids.  I doubt seriously that any reps from A&M or ASU or UCLA were on the sidelines of any UH game. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: RG3: Davey O'Brien Award Winner; Heisman Trophy Winneruit
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »
How is Kevin avoiding the indignant bile for leaving that Briles received in spades four years ago?

I've never once even heard of anyone saying anything bad about Briles for leaving for Baylor. In fact, it was quite the opposite in Cougar circles.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: RG3: Davey O'Brien Award Winner; Heisman Trophy Winneruit
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 08:38:45 am »
I've never once even heard of anyone saying anything bad about Briles for leaving for Baylor. In fact, it was quite the opposite in Cougar circles.

I don't remember much bile either. 

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

I guess they all came onto the Baylor boards to talk, then. There was a lot of it, even a year or two later.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 10:24:46 am »
I was referring more to some of the newspaper editorials, as well as the Houston airwaves, where there was a combination of furious callers for weeks and weeks, plus the steady diet of condescending chatter from the talking heads who seemed to feed the fury for their own purposes.  You're always going to have the former; it's the latter that was more surprising.  Matt Jackson's understandable; it's his school and he loves it.  Some of the other guys, though, both national and local, thought it was an impossible task and a career ender.  Can't say as I can find fault with that forecast, as only one of the former coaches post-Teaff is still in the D1 ranks--Kevin Steele, the caring nurturer, who is on the Clemson staff.

No big deal.  I have always felt that if a coach leaves your program in a better competitive position than it was when he started, he's usually done a very good job--that includes the avoidance of NCAA scrutiny and penalties.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:04 am »
I was referring more to some of the newspaper editorials, as well as the Houston airwaves, where there was a combination of furious callers for weeks and weeks, plus the steady diet of condescending chatter from the talking heads who seemed to feed the fury for their own purposes.

Wasn't Pinwheel one of those guys?  IIRC, he's been going at Briles for years now.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 10:36:57 am »
I guess they all came onto the Baylor boards to talk, then. There was a lot of it, even a year or two later.

wait a minute! are you suggesting that ANYTHING said on those football/recruiting message boards should be taken seriously?

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 10:38:47 am »
Not as a going concern, I would hope.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:57 am »

Whether or not Keenum said anything I do not know.  There were no reps there during the game.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 11:45:26 am »

You must hang out with a completely different Cougar crowd than I do.  I never heard anything like that.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 11:50:17 am »
You must hang out with a completely different Cougar crowd than I do.  I never heard anything like that.

Of course he does. He's young. His Cougar demographic would be at least 20-30 years younger than anyone that'd possibly consider you Cougar bait...  Sorry to break it to you man, but you're no spring chicken anymore. Just sayin'...

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 11:57:02 am »
Hell, it wasn't just the young turks on sports boards.  You honestly don't remember the rage that Maggard expressed after Art's decision, HH?  It was something else.  I don't fault him for being upset with Art's leaving them high and dry before the bowl game, even though that's how it's done more often than not.  I'd just never seen that anger in print or on television before then.  

Closet thing to it that I can recall was when ol' Bo stepped in and kicked his hoops coach Frieder to the curb for signing with ASU while still their coach.  That was the Michigan team that went on to win it all, if anyone needs reminding.  Then Bo refused to hire Fischer after they won the title, just as he had done throughout the postseason.

EDIT:  had to get "just" in that last sentence there to make sure the point was clear.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:11:33 pm by ybbodeus »

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »
While we're on the subject of bile directed toward head coaches, I feel that it's my duty to point out that to the apparent surprise of only one party, Todd Graham has stiffed yet another program. Pitt's response (it's unprofessional, how could he do this to us, etc) is particularly amusing: a tiger doesn't change its stripes, a leopard doesn't change its spots, and Todd Graham doesn't change his shorts: he's full of shit. Why Pitt thought he wouldn't do to them what he did to Rice and Tulsa is an interesting question, but an even more interesting question is why ASU thinks things will be different this time. Either he'll succeed, in which case he'll leave soon and at the most inconvenient time, or he'll fail, leaving ASU right where they are now.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »
The Big East is apparently laughing at Pitt.  Popular line among Graham watchers--the man who usually opens his introductory press conferences with something along the lines of, "This is the job I've always wanted."--is that Pitt left its conference without warning, and Graham merely responded in kind. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »
Pitt's response (it's unprofessional, how could he do this to us, etc) is particularly amusing:

Especially in light of the fact that Pitt just did the same thing to the Big East. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 10:21:13 pm »
Of course he does. He's young. His Cougar demographic would be at least 20-30 years younger than anyone that'd possibly consider you Cougar bait...  Sorry to break it to you man, but you're no spring chicken anymore. Just sayin'...

Good grief. I'm about half the age you think I am.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 09:39:13 am »
Good grief. I'm about half the age you think I am.
\

We know you're pretty old, 'cause you quote Peanuts.  If you were young you'd be quoting South Park.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:09 am »
\

We know you're pretty old, 'cause you quote Peanuts.  If you were young you'd be quoting South Park.

Hell yes I want some Cheezy Poofs!!

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
Congratulations to Robert Griffin III on winning the Davey O'Brien Award and the Heisman Trophy.  Damn proud of you young man, damn proud!  Sic 'Em!!!
Barking Carnival's Scipio Tex referred to Robert as "Jesus in Cleats."  As you and a few other green and gold afar flingers here are keenly aware, that depiction would probably almost certainly ruffle a follicle or two of the blue haired Baylor fans, of which there are still a large number with season tickets--but it's a splendidly comical reference, nevertheless.