Author Topic: Comadena on Singleton & Meyer  (Read 4979 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Comadena on Singleton & Meyer
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:05 pm »
Lancaster catcher Jordan Comadena chats with Astros County: LINK  (AC has had similar Q&A's with various MiLB'ers through the offseason - good reads all). (Excerpt from the Comadena Q&A below):

AC: Who do you look at from Lancaster and think, "That guy's going to be a star?"

JC: When I look back at this year, two guys stand out to me (besides Altuve who is already there, what he was doing in Lancaster was unbelievable). The first person is Jonathan Singleton - at 19 years old he is a physical specimen. He's very strong and moves very well. He's got a nice lefty stroke with power to all fields. If he continues to progress with the talent that he has now he will be a force. The other person that stood out to me was Johnny Meyer. He is the best defensive third baseman that I have ever played with or against. I would routinely be amazed at some of the plays he made look so easy. Offensively he's getting better, he drives the ball to all fields and he handles off-speed well. On top of his God-given ability, Johnny is one of the hardest workers that I've played with. He refuses to let himself fail and he will always find a way to get better each day.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Comadena on Singleton & Meyer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:50 pm »
Great stuff.  Thanks OSF.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:40 pm »
Lancaster catcher Jordan Comadena chats with Astros County: LINK  (AC has had similar Q&A's with various MiLB'ers through the offseason - good reads all). (Excerpt from the Comadena Q&A below):

AC: Who do you look at from Lancaster and think, "That guy's going to be a star?"

JC: When I look back at this year, two guys stand out to me (besides Altuve who is already there, what he was doing in Lancaster was unbelievable). The first person is Jonathan Singleton - at 19 years old he is a physical specimen. He's very strong and moves very well. He's got a nice lefty stroke with power to all fields. If he continues to progress with the talent that he has now he will be a force. The other person that stood out to me was Johnny Meyer. He is the best defensive third baseman that I have ever played with or against. I would routinely be amazed at some of the plays he made look so easy. Offensively he's getting better, he drives the ball to all fields and he handles off-speed well. On top of his God-given ability, Johnny is one of the hardest workers that I've played with. He refuses to let himself fail and he will always find a way to get better each day.

It is my understanding that sometime in late July or early August Meyer appeared to start turning the corner offensively.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:43:22 pm »

Ha! I saw this and was going to post this exact quote. Very encouraging to hear that about Meyer (and to further confirm the already encouraging things heard about Singleton).
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »
It is my understanding that sometime in late July or early August Meyer appeared to start turning the corner offensively.

It certainly showed up in his numbers. Think he heads back to Lancaster to start next season?

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 04:49:20 pm »
It certainly showed up in his numbers. Think he heads back to Lancaster to start next season?
He cut way down on errors this year, too ... nice to see someone with credibility comment on the less measurable aspects of defense.
Up in the Air

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
It seems like he's been around for a while, but he's still pretty young (turns 21 tomorrow).  Had he gone to college, he wouldn't even be eligible until next year's draft. He didn't put it together overnight, but if he keeps it up, he's could be a good player and a hood example why you have to be patient with HS draftees.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »
For what is is worth - when Meyer was here (Gville) as an 18 year old.  He presented as a much older player.  He wasn't doing the silly stuff many younger players do - he was all business at the field.  So I can see him having the rep as a hard worker.
Always ready to go to a game.

Travis

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 09:52:07 am »
This is surprising:

Between Meyer and Paredes, the latter is a better defender on the hot corner, given his greater range, but he also must improve the consistency of his throwing. "He's an exciting player, and he may be an exciting player in the big leagues," Nelson said of Paredes. "When we got him over to third, he looked more comfortable."

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111103&content_id=25889462&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Everything I've read indicated that Meyer would be much better than Paredes at 3B

Travis

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:01 am »
That whole article is worth reading, FYI. It mentions that Wates will begin the year at AA, probably playing CF.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:44:58 pm »
This is surprising:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111103&content_id=25889462&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

Everything I've read indicated that Meyer would be much better than Paredes at 3B

Lordy.

On Meyer vs. Paredes.  Paredes has more range that just about anyone, but if his footwork and throwing accuracy don't improve he won't stay there.  Meyer is on pace defensively.

On Wates.  The downplaying of his placement at AA is weird.   "He has positioned himself well to compete for a job at Double-A next year."  Compete against who?  Jay Austin?  T.J. Steele?  Please.  Springer is likely headed to Lancaster to start 2012.  And even if Springer starts at AA who does he compete with for a corner spot?  Bailey and who?  Weird.

On Buchanan.  Crappy reporting.  "...a rather ordinary 3.80 ERA..."  He sported a 3.91 ERA in is Cal League work.  That's the 9th best ERA in the entire league.  And then he threw 7 innings of 1 run ball in his lone outing at Corpus.  None of that is ordinary.  Then they point out his home and road ERA's and the wild difference between them considering how hitter friendly Lancaster is.  And still the 9th best ERA in the league.  He was, if anything, extraordinary.
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:57:21 pm »
Do you consider Springer a corner OFer? I'm under the impression he was drafted as a CFer.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »
Do you consider Springer a corner OFer? I'm under the impression he was drafted as a CFer.

He's a CF for now.  The compete for a corner spot was in regard to Wates if Springer takes center at AA.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 05:18:48 pm »
He's a CF for now.  The compete for a corner spot was in regard to Wates if Springer takes center at AA.
What've you heard or what do you know about Buchanan, aside from his extremely impressive year at Lancaster? Does he have a decent shot at being an MLB starter? It seems like he hasn't gotten much recognition from the pundits.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
What've you heard or what do you know about Buchanan, aside from his extremely impressive year at Lancaster? Does he have a decent shot at being an MLB starter? It seems like he hasn't gotten much recognition from the pundits.

Outstanding sinker.  Other pitches need work.  If his change-up develops he supposedly projects to #4 type.  Without the change-up, he's more long relief.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Noe

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »
Lordy.

On Meyer vs. Paredes.  Paredes has more range that just about anyone, but if his footwork and throwing accuracy don't improve he won't stay there.  Meyer is on pace defensively.

On Wates.  The downplaying of his placement at AA is weird.   "He has positioned himself well to compete for a job at Double-A next year."  Compete against who?  Jay Austin?  T.J. Steele?  Please.  Springer is likely headed to Lancaster to start 2012.  And even if Springer starts at AA who does he compete with for a corner spot?  Bailey and who?  Weird.

On Buchanan.  Crappy reporting.  "...a rather ordinary 3.80 ERA..."  He sported a 3.91 ERA in is Cal League work.  That's the 9th best ERA in the entire league.  And then he threw 7 innings of 1 run ball in his lone outing at Corpus.  None of that is ordinary.  Then they point out his home and road ERA's and the wild difference between them considering how hitter friendly Lancaster is.  And still the 9th best ERA in the league.  He was, if anything, extraordinary.

The California League is considered a haven for hitters to inflate their stats.  When a pitcher does well in that league, you have to take notice a little bit.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 07:48:04 am »
The California League is considered a haven for hitters to inflate their stats.  When a pitcher does well in that league, you have to take notice a little bit.

check out what Lyle Overbay did in that league. 100+ RBI in 75 games, iirc.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 09:43:01 am »

Right.  Crappy reporting.
Goin' for a bus ride.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:46:30 am »
check out what Lyle Overbay did in that league. 100+ RBI in 75 games, iirc.

He had 101 RBI in 75 games in the Pioneer League the year he was drafted, but he never played in the Cal League.

I'd never looked at his minor league numbers before, but damn. Overbay was a beast at every stop. Career .341 average in MiLB.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »

He had 101 RBI in 75 games in the Pioneer League the year he was drafted, but he never played in the Cal League.

I'd never looked at his minor league numbers before, but damn. Overbay was a beast at every stop. Career .341 average in MiLB.

right numbers, wrong league.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 12:20:33 pm »
right numbers, wrong league.
right time zone even!
Up in the Air