Author Topic: Dierker on JD Martinez  (Read 3631 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Dierker on JD Martinez
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:41:34 pm »
Good read.  LINK
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: Dierker on JD Martinez
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:25 am »
Is he really suggesting moving Martinez to 3B? Other than being a terrible idea, it's not a terrible idea.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:02 am »
Is he really suggesting moving Martinez to 3B? Other than being a terrible idea, it's not a terrible idea.

I'm pretty skeptical of this.  This team (in the near future) is not going to slug its way to wins considering Martinez is the best power hitter on the team and projects at a 25 HR guy.  I don't want to make any sacrifices on defense.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:30:24 am »
I don't have a problem with Martinez' LF defense from what I have seen. I think he has to be somewhere around the league average for the position. Anybody seeing anything differently?

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:36:47 am »
I'm pretty skeptical of this.  This team (in the near future) is not going to slug its way to wins considering Martinez is the best power hitter on the team and projects at a 25 HR guy.  I don't want to make any sacrifices on defense.

Having read Dierker's book, I never got the impression he placed much value on defense.  So to interpret his thought as one 3B is as good as another doesn't seem that far fetched.  That said, I doubt Smith/Wade subscribe to the same philosophy. 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:07:20 am »
I don't have a problem with Martinez' LF defense from what I have seen. I think he has to be somewhere around the league average for the position. Anybody seeing anything differently?
Not me, although I understand Dierker's logic of putting the faster player in the outfield and the slower player in the infield.  The downside to me is the uncertainties it would create by giving both players more on their plate as they adjust to the majors. 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:31 am »
Martinez can't play 1b without his knee tendinitis flaring up.  I can only imagine how much time he'd miss playing 3b regularly.

Dierker's logic would have had Schmidt playing in the outfield and Luzinski at 3b.
Goin' for a bus ride.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
I thought JD was going to be the DH when the Astros went to the AL?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:52 am »
Martinez can't play 1b without his knee tendinitis flaring up.  I can only imagine how much time he'd miss playing 3b regularly.
Luckily I haven't had significant knee problems myself, but I would think that running around in the OF would place more or as much strain on bad knees as the pivoting, etc. required in the infield, no? Wasn't that part of the reason Berkman moved to 1B after Bagwell retired?

Not that I am advocating moving Martinez to 3B, a position he has never played...
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

Dierker's logic would have had Schmidt playing in the outfield and Luzinski at 3b.

You may well be right about the knee issue, but was the difference in speed between Schmidt and Luzinski the same as Paredes and Martinez?  Also, moving Schmidt would be viewed as suspect because he could handle the position, IIRC.  Don't think Paredes has demonstrated that level of skill

ps.  I'm not advocating the move at all, I just see the logic. 

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:35 am »
I'm probably totally misreading things but I thought Dierk was advocating moving JD to first and Paredes to the OF rather than just switching them position for position.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:31 am »
wow switching from position to position..
forever is composed entirely of nows

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
wow switching from position to position..

I just can't...
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 12:02:56 pm »
Luckily I haven't had significant knee problems myself, but I would think that running around in the OF would place more or as much strain on bad knees as the pivoting, etc. required in the infield, no? Wasn't that part of the reason Berkman moved to 1B after Bagwell retired?

Not that I am advocating moving Martinez to 3B, a position he has never played...

It's pretty well documented, especially in his college days IIRC, that for whatever reason his knees were more troublesome when he played 1b rather than OF.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »
You may well be right about the knee issue, but was the difference in speed between Schmidt and Luzinski the same as Paredes and Martinez?  Also, moving Schmidt would be viewed as suspect because he could handle the position, IIRC.  Don't think Paredes has demonstrated that level of skill

ps.  I'm not advocating the move at all, I just see the logic. 

When Schmidt was a shiny new major leaguer he ran very well.  He stole 52 bases in his first 2 full years in the bigs.  The guy was a great athlete.  So, IMO, yes.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »
I just can't...

Good call. It would be wrong.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

roadrunner

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
Paredes to the OF is a different story.  I would be on board for him in either corner spot.

Bonomaniac

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:25 pm »
I thought JD was going to be the DH when the Astros went to the AL?

Well played

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 01:09:42 pm »
I'm probably totally misreading things but I thought Dierk was advocating moving JD to first and Paredes to the OF rather than just switching them position for position.

That's the way that I read it too.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »
"Is there a new knee brace? Is there a way of taping his knee? Is there any way he can play third base? Coming out of Spring Training, Chris Johnson was the Astros' third baseman ... Because Martinez has much better Minor League numbers, including more walks and fewer strikeouts, my guess is that he'll be more consistent than Johnson."
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »
It was the degree of the crouch required at 1b before every play that was hard on JD's knees when he tried 1b in the low minors.  You have to be down and ready in the OF but not to the degree you do on the IF.
Always ready to go to a game.

accougars

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:57 pm »
Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly, but didn't Dierker have the same opinion onf Luke Scott?
LIGHT THE TOWER ORANGE!

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:30 pm »
Well goddamit,  can he throw left-handed or not?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"