Author Topic: Roy O to Phillies  (Read 122527 times)

Noe

Roy O to Phillies
« on: May 14, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »
Saying all the right things about wanting to stay of course, but he really is saying he 1) expects them to explore a trade and 2) he's pitching well enough to draw a lot of interest and 3) he doesn't want to go just anywhere, he'll have to approve the trade.

I think this will somehow escalate at the deadline nears, but now I have no doubt a trade is really a good possibility.  So here is the question: Do you think it would be wise for the Astros to do it?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Saying all the right things about wanting to stay of course, but he really is saying he 1) expects them to explore a trade and 2) he's pitching well enough to draw a lot of interest and 3) he doesn't want to go just anywhere, he'll have to approve the trade.

I think this will somehow escalate at the deadline nears, but now I have no doubt a trade is really a good possibility.  So here is the question: Do you think it would be wise for the Astros to do it?

Depends on the return.  Same goes for dealing Berkman.
Goin' for a bus ride.

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Depends on the return.  Same goes for dealing Berkman.

I agree and don't trade one if you have no interest in trading the other. 

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
I agree and don't trade one if you have no interest in trading the other. 

I don't agree with that.  Again, depends on the return.
Goin' for a bus ride.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
So what's the ideal return?  Pitcher(s) or position player(s)?
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile

Yes.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
First question:
He routinely says he's not thinking about it until these two years are up and has implied that he's done then.  What probability do you put on him actually retiring after 2011?

Second question:
Do you think in 2012 he's likely to still be a productive starter, and for how many seasons after that?

Third question:
Could the Astros return to being WS competitive in 2012 without trading him?

To me, if he's likly to keep playing in 2012 at a high level and the Astros will be back in contention, I would want to keep him in the mud and blood.  Why trade him away for a bunch of kids that will need him (or someone of his caliber) to compete in a few years anyway.

If, however, he's not going to be around and productive in 2012 or the Astros wont have realistic expectations of WS contention that year, then you need to pull the trigger now (or whenever you think his stock value will peak between now and the trading deadline).  Having him next year for a rebuild helps no one, assuming the butt in seats value is less than the cost of developing the talent you'll need in 2012 to really put butts in seats. Of course, if Drayton doesnt think he'll be the owner in 2012, he has no reason to make such an investment...
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile

If Oswalt's pitching like an ace I'd expect a high quality 3 for 1.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
The Rangers have some interesting prospects considering their financial woes though, are they even possible as a trade partner?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
First question:
He routinely says he's not thinking about it until these two years are up and has implied that he's done then.  What probability do you put on him actually retiring after 2011?

63%

Second question:
Do you think in 2012 he's likely to still be a productive starter, and for how many seasons after that?

Yes.  2.

Third question:
Could the Astros return to being WS competitive in 2012 without trading him?

Possibly.

"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
The Rangers have some interesting prospects considering their financial woes though, are they even possible as a trade partner?

That's a question best held until July.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
That's a question best held until July.

Bingo!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Noe

Roy has basically said he'd like to be a Co-ard or a Bravos pitcher.  He is now saying he wants to go somewhere where he has a legitimate chance to win a ring, so his veto powers are about calling the shots in a trade scenario.  Just kind of putting myself away from being a fan of the Houston Astros for a minute, a Co-ard starting staff of Carpenter, Wainwright, Penny and Oswalt would be almost too much to dream about.  It would rival anything the Yankees or Phillies have going for them.

Just saying.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
I can't imagine the package they'd have to put together that would begin to tamp down the bile that floods my throat when I think of Oswalt as a Cardinal.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
I can't imagine the package they'd have to put together that would begin to tamp down the bile that floods my throat when I think of Oswalt as a Cardinal.

Oswalt to STL, [insert random Jake slug in this slot] to PIT, Lastings Milledge to HOU.  No WAY you could pass that up!!!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
Can I get pre-Botox Nicole Kidman as a throw-in?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
Roy has basically said he'd like to be a Co-ard or a Bravos pitcher. 

Two of the three uniforms I simply could not STAND to see him in. The other being the FTCubs.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Noe

Iffin' they intend to trade him, it's to where he's gonna wanna go.  Boston is another destination.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
Iffin' they intend to trade him, it's to where he's gonna wanna go.  Boston is another destination.

Better there than to the Turdinals, the Bravos, or the FTCubs, imho.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
Iffin' they intend to trade him, it's to where he's gonna wanna go.  Boston is another destination.

All the Boston fans I know do nothing but bitch about how bad their team is doing.  I'm not sure what they have to give the Astros though.