Author Topic: BA Prospect Hot Sheet  (Read 6539 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
BA Prospect Hot Sheet
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:22 pm »
Jordan Lyles hit #1 on the BA Prospect Hot Sheet for April 23.  LINK

This week (5/7) it's Jay Austin at #4, and an 'honorable mention' for Brian Bogusevic.  LINK

Jay Austin, CF
Team: high Class A Lancaster (California)
Why He's Here: .407/.519/.815 (11-for-27), 2 2B, 3 HR, 5 RBIs, 9 R, 3 BB, 3 SO, 5-for-6 SB

The Scoop: If you've read Baseball America, you know we're skeptical of any sparkly numbers that come from a Lancaster hitter. Aaron Bates, Bubba Bell, Javier Brito, Jaime D'Antona . . . the list of Lancaster legends goes on. Yet while Lancaster does help every hitter, park factors don't affect every hitter the same way. The Lancaster winds help carry balls hit in the air, but that's not Austin's game. He hits most of his balls on the ground, relying on his ability to put the ball in play and let his speed take over. He's also showing a much-improved approach at the plate, a sign that this could be a true breakout.

On Bogusevic:  Astros corner OF Brian Bogusevic hit .464/.600/.786 with two home runs for Triple-A Round Rock, bringing him up to .323/.385/.494 through 26 games. Bogusevic is already 26, so while he's already at or close to his physical peak, he's still playing developmental catchup in his second full season since he gave up pitching . . .
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: BA Prospect Hot Sheet
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:16:23 pm »
Clemens and Bushue are featured in the team photo this week.

So is Koby Clemens for real? We're still not sure. We have to give the Astros' Double-A Corpus Christi 1B credit where it's due. Clemens, 23, brought his numbers up to .271/.360/.568 with nine home runs through 32 games after hitting .421/.524/.737 with three doubles and a homer this week . . .

Astros low Class A Lexington RHP Tanner Bushue has been solid in his first full season, as the 19-year-old has a 2.50 ERA and a 36-12 K-BB mark in 39 2/3 innings. Pitching in the high-80s to low-90s, Bushue had the best start of his career on Monday, throwing a two-hit shutout for seven innings with no walks and five strikeouts . . .

Link

astrosfan76

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »
Astros prospects are becoming regulars on the Hot Sheet.  This is very encouraging, as you never saw an Astros prospect on it a year or two ago.  If nothing else, perceptions of our farm system seem to be changing.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:48:21 pm »
Astros prospects are becoming regulars on the Hot Sheet.  This is very encouraging, as you never saw an Astros prospect on it a year or two ago.  If nothing else, perceptions of our farm system seem to be changing.

Good news!
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Noe

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 01:51:06 pm »
I have under good authority that the Astros farm system is devoid of talent and we have to ask you to stop posting these spurious messages to the contrary.  Furthermore, while Baseball America has to write something, this is no way should mean the Houston Astros actually have prospects.  Not a one.  So cease and desist with this sort of posting post-haste.

Thank you,

Any pundit who constantly just writes that the Astros do not have a farm system with talent.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:55:25 pm »
I think I only care about outside perception of the farm improving if it means that the GMs trying to trade for Oswalt/Pence/whoever this summer, might actually say to themselves "they've already got some pretty good players coming up, I'm gonna need to offer them some real quality prospects if i want to get this done" instead of saying "well geez, they're so desperate for prospects over there in Houston I'm sure they'll gladly take our shitty Lastings Milledge-esque minor leaguer..."
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »
Bits from the hot sheet chat:

•   Eric K (Chicago): Jason Castro is really struggling so far in AAA, but his on base is a remarkable .380. Does he have any power what-so-ever or does he project to be just a singles hitter. And how can Houston even consider promoting him to the majors while he continues to struggle.

Ben Badler: He's more than a slap hitter, but he'll max out at 40 to 50 power on the 20-80 scale. He really wore down at the end of last year and lost a good amount of weight, but he'll hit for enough power to be a high on-base guy for a catcher with maybe 10-15 HR per year. The biggest problem is he doesn't seem to be hitting the ball with the same kind of loft he did a year ago, but I think that will turn around.

•   Jacob (Brooklyn, NY): Koby Clemens has put up seemingly solid numbers every season. At what point does he get credit for being a solid prospect?

Ben Badler: I think we have to give him credit right now as a solid prospect. We're not getting carried away, but there's definitely something there.

•   Tim (NY): Concerned about Jiovanni Mier? He really did well last year, this year not so much...

Ben Badler: No, it's early, and he has a good approach at the plate. I think he'll turn it around.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »
Lyles decides to check back in on the Hot Sheet, coming in at #5.

His 2.47 ERA in 51 innings ranks sixth in the Texas League and his 42 strikeouts are tied for third. Lyles doesn't have overpowering velocity or a knockout pitch, but he's an outstanding athlete with the ability to locate that's well beyond his years.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/2610025.html

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:01 pm »
Lyles decides to check back in on the Hot Sheet, coming in at #5.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/2610025.html

Surprised not to see Keuchel here this week.  Thought surely 17 innings of 1 run baseball in the Cal, including a 11 SO 1 BB performance in his last outing and a 9 inning shutout the start before would merit a spot here.  Anyone with a BA account care to ask about it in the Hot Sheet prospect chatr?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:23:13 pm »
Surprised not to see Keuchel here this week.  Thought surely 17 innings of 1 run baseball in the Cal, including a 11 SO 1 BB performance in his last outing and a 9 inning shutout the start before would merit a spot here.  Anyone with a BA account care to ask about it in the Hot Sheet prospect chatr?

Crap, I showed up just in time to see the chat end. No mention of any Astros prospects.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »

Didn't make the chat, but I think the intro paragraph in the article sums it up:

Pedigree matters when it comes to the Prospect Hot Sheet. So when we have a week like this one, where some of the brightest stars all have great weeks, it makes for an easy selection process. Stephen Strasburg is already a household name, and Carlos Santana, Mike Minor and Mike Moustakas may one day join his company.

Keuchel probably wasn't a big enough prospect to make it this week.  If both of those performances were in the same week, he would likely have gotten at least a mention.  Oh well, I guess he'll just have to continue pitching like that.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:19:04 am »
Wonder if Clemens will garner interest on the hot sheet this week.

10 for 23, 3 HR, 4 BB, only 2Ks

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 09:00:31 am »
I am curious about him. His walk rate is above average, but he strikes out a bunch. Does he miss a lot of hittable pitches, a particular type of hittable pitch, or does he have a particular weakness for breaking balls in the dirt?

accougars

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:32:38 am »
I am curious about him. His walk rate is above average, but he strikes out a bunch. Does he miss a lot of hittable pitches, a particular type of hittable pitch, or does he have a particular weakness for breaking balls in the dirt?

I don't pretend to be an expert, but here is how I see him. Legit power that pitchers do fear. Because of that, he is going to get a lot of extra base hits and walks. I think he will have plenty of extra base hits because of his natural power and because he hits a lot of mistakes. At the AA level pitchers try to nibble on him and he draws a lot of walks. With this approach to facing him, pitchers are aggressive with him if they are forced to because of a game siutation or falling behind in the count (something that happens regularly becuase of their aforementioned tendancy to nibble with him at the plate). It is almost as if pitchers double cross themselves by trying to be carefull, then falling behind, and then being forced to throw somthing over the heart of the plate.

If he expands his zone he strikes out a lot. He does not have the best two strike approach and there are some holes in the swing. On top of that, he doesn't really have a position. I don't think he will be a consistant enough hitter to stick at 1b or LF, but he could be a unique utility player for you. He could be a guy that can backup first, third, left field, and be an emergency third catcher. He would also bring plus power to the table for a bench player.

Ultimately, I think he is a little bit tougher to project because of his set of skills. Will pitchers at the Major league level fear his power? I don't think so. Therefore, his approach at the plate may have to change. It is a little tough to tell.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:35:41 am by accougars »
LIGHT THE TOWER ORANGE!

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:41:10 am »
FWIW, while there are a number of folks out there that still piss on Koby as an actual prospect, Jonathan Mayo (MLB.com's prospect guru) has been very high on him since for a while now.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

Nope, not even in the team photo. 

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »
I don't pretend to be an expert, but here is how I see him. Legit power that pitchers do fear. Because of that, he is going to get a lot of extra base hits and walks. I think he will have plenty of extra base hits because of his natural power and because he hits a lot of mistakes. At the AA level pitchers try to nibble on him and he draws a lot of walks. With this approach to facing him, pitchers are aggressive with him if they are forced to because of a game siutation or falling behind in the count (something that happens regularly becuase of their aforementioned tendancy to nibble with him at the plate). It is almost as if pitchers double cross themselves by trying to be carefull, then falling behind, and then being forced to throw somthing over the heart of the plate.

If he expands his zone he strikes out a lot. He does not have the best two strike approach and there are some holes in the swing. On top of that, he doesn't really have a position. I don't think he will be a consistant enough hitter to stick at 1b or LF, but he could be a unique utility player for you. He could be a guy that can backup first, third, left field, and be an emergency third catcher. He would also bring plus power to the table for a bench player.

Ultimately, I think he is a little bit tougher to project because of his set of skills. Will pitchers at the Major league level fear his power? I don't think so. Therefore, his approach at the plate may have to change. It is a little tough to tell.

I was thinking of it in a different way. I first thought of Adam Dunn vs Brandon Wood and their relative success in the big leagues.

Dunn appears to have always been patient, have a good eye or whatever ability allows him to draw walks. Dunn, based on my observation of this week only, doesn't have a particular, obvious weakness leading to his Ks. He seems to basically miss fastballs, curves, etc. with equal frequency. However, he gets on base and hits for power and thus has had a long career.  

Wood has never drawn walks, for whatever reason. He has a lot of power like Dunn, and he also Fails to make much contact and Ks a lot. This combo, bad eye and low contact, seems to spell doom at the major league level, where he has been awful.

The point of bringing these two into the discussion is that neither makes frequent contact, but if you add a bad eye to the mix, one is doomed.  So, I assume Clemens is not like Wood as he has shown a good eye, I was just wondering if his Ks were that he just misses all pitches equally, or just has a poor two strike approach. With Dunn for example, I wonder if he is physically skilled enough to make more contact with a different approach.

Really, I'm just wondering what his weakness is, and whether it is potentially correctable, or whether it becomes more pronounced as he advances.

Disclaimer. I don't think he has the power of either of those guys, just using them because they were on my mind recently and provide a interesting contrast.   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 01:22:31 pm by jbm »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 02:34:57 pm »

I asked the question in the HS chat, but haven't gotten a response yet.  Eddy did have this to say though:  LINK

Matthew Eddy: Along with the Astros' Koby Clemens, [Brett] Lawrie is one prospect who just missed the cut this week. He went 8-for-25 (.320) with a homer, a double and two triples this week for Double-A Huntsville. Not bad at all for a 20-year-old with no High-A experience. Clemens batted 10-for-23 (.435) with three homers for Double-A Corpus Christi this week.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »
Seems like a tough week to make the list as a hitter.  Several guys batted 500 or better fo the week.  Maybe one more HR or a couple of more hits would have done it.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:18 pm »
2 Hooks make the hot sheet this week.  Lyles with his 7 shutout, 11k effort mentioned in other thread and Shuck (in the team photo section) with a 14 for 28 (plus 3 BB) effort. 

Jared Novak

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 04:18:37 pm »
Lyles makes the Hot Sheet again this week coming in @ #11 for his domination over Frisco.

pots

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 12:45:36 pm »
Not surprsingly, Lyles made the Prospect Hot Sheet Midseason Allstars

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »
A little late to the party, but BA finally decided to at least put JD Martinez in its team photo.

It's starting to look more and more like Astros outfielder J.D. Martinez has the Sally League mastered. The 22-year-old hit .476 with three homers and two doubles this week for low Class A Lexington to bump his season line to .362/.433/.598. His batting average and slugging percentage rank first in the league, while his on-base percentage ranks second . .

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:43 pm »
A little late to the party, but BA finally decided to at least put JD Martinez in its team photo.

It's starting to look more and more like Astros outfielder J.D. Martinez has the Sally League mastered. The 22-year-old hit .476 with three homers and two doubles this week for low Class A Lexington to bump his season line to .362/.433/.598. His batting average and slugging percentage rank first in the league, while his on-base percentage ranks second . .

Starting?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 07:02:23 pm »
Starting?

The common retort about JD was that he is 22 and should be dominating the SAL. Never completely bought into that line of thinking though. After all, how many 22 year old starting position players in the SAL? And how many are dominating, much less destroying, SAL pitching?

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »
Not a Hot Sheet inclusion, but BA nevertheless gives some love (albeit in limited proportions) to JD Martinez in  it's "Ten Prospects Who Have Raised Their Stock Since June" article.  LINK

9. J.D. Martinez, lf, Astros (Double-A Corpus Christi)

Prior to June 1: .351/.415/.556 in 229 PAs
Since June 1: .354/.425/.590 in 219 PAs

Like Duda, Martinez has been a stellar hitter all year, but it's more of a surprise that he hasn't slowed down yet. As a 22-year-old who spent most of the year with low Class A Lexington, Martinez tore apart the South Atlantic League before jumping straight to Double-A two weeks ago. A lot of scouts still don't see Martinez as a regular, as he's a dead pull hitter who has to cheat on good fastballs in on his hands, but he could be a be a solid backup outfielder in the big leagues, a higher projection than he had at this time last year.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »
From last week (July 30th), but Gaston made the team photo:

Leaving high Class A Lancaster has taken the smoke and mirrors away from Jonathan Gaston's performance, but the Astros 23-year-old outfielder did have a solid week, going 13-for-28 with five extra-base hits for Double-A Corpus Christi
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 04:57:58 pm »
JD in the team photo:

We were hesitant about heaping too much praise on Astros OF J.D. Martinez when he was whipping up on low Class A competition. But now that the 23-year-old has moved up to Double-A Corpus Christi, his performance carries more weight. He hasn't slowed down yet. Martinez hit .444/.464/.778 (12-for-27) this week, with two homers and three doubles, giving him a .337/.407/.495 line in 101 at-bats since moving up

Response to question from chat about Villar as SS of future:

There's little doubt Villar has the defensive chops to be a big league shortstop. It's just a question of how the bat comes along. He takes big hacks for a guy with little power. He's only 19, so there's time, but he'll have to start making more contact eventually.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/2610532.html
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/2610534.html

astrosfan76

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 08:02:30 am »
Couple of farmhands in the team photo this week. 

Astros SS Jiovanni Mier  hasn't put together the season many were expecting, but he had a fantastic week last week, hitting .440/.517/.600 with four doubles for low Class A Lexington

Astros RHP Tanner Bushue  has had his ups and downs in his first full season. But the 2009 second-round pick looks like he's finishing strong for low Class A Lexington. Bushue, 19, has held opponents to two runs or less in six of his last seven starts and threw six shutout innings against Augusta on Sunday, allowing three hits, walking two and striking out four

Make that 7 of 8 for Bushue after last night's 7IP 2R (1ER) 5H 1BB 5K performance. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2010/2610581.html