Author Topic: Tonight, 9 central: Food Wars, Lockhart  (Read 2869 times)

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Tonight, 9 central: Food Wars, Lockhart
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:15 pm »
Battle of the bbq between Smitty's and Kreuz on Travel Channel. Go Kreuz.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

remy

• View Profile
Re: Tonight, 9 central: Food Wars, Lockhart
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »
So who won?

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »

Smitty's is way better if you ask me

SaltyParker

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »
Unfortunately, my Travel Channel has that Adam guy eating hot wings in Pittsburgh now.

Oh I see, yesterday and I missed it. Duh....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:07:19 pm by SaltyParker »

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:06:17 pm »
I thought you are on record as liking Mueller's best.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »
So who won?

I've never watched that show before.  The concept is kind of decent, but the execution is obviously below average with a bunch of people holding up signs of supporting their favorite restaurant and what not.  The way the decision works is 1 "superfan" of each eatery and three independent judges each partake in a blind taste test and vote on their favorite.  This contest was somewhat faultily constructed in the first place because each place gave you brisket and sausage.  You had to vote for you favorite overall place from the 2 meat selection (so, you couldn't say brisket "a" is better and brisket "b" is better).  So, basically, dramatic drumroll ensued and the final independent judge went for Kreuz's.  Then, "THE MOST DRAMATIC TWIST" in food wars' "HISTORY" unfolded: the Kreuz's "superfan" first wrote down Smitty's letter only to cross it out later.  There was some outraged mumbling about confusion on the part of the Kreuz's "superfan," and Kreuz's was still proclaimed the winner.  All in all, not a great show, but it was neat to hear just the basic history and resulting set-up of the two spots post-split in about a 7-minute segment at the beginning of the program.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »
Didja notice the guy in the UT shirt at the beginning, who said Lockhart is the cradle of Texas barbecue?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:49 am »
Didja notice the guy in the UT shirt at the beginning, who said Lockhart is the cradle of Texas barbecue?

I remembered somebody on here was around during filming.  Do you have an imdb page yet?

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

Joey, you need an intervention.
Purity of Essence

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 08:26:41 am »
I would agree that the show is not terribly well executed.  I found the BBQ Paradise episode to be more informative.  As I understand it, the cooking methods at Kreuz and Smitty's are far more different than just the locations.

I did enjoy the exchange with Smitty's grandson (Pit man at Smitty's) about the sausage recipe.

Host:  So do you follow a secret recipe for you sausage
Pitman:  Yeah, we've got one, it's usually about 85% beef and the rest pork.  Although it varies and even some days it is all beef.
Host:  Why don't you always have the pork
Pitman:  Cause some days I don't feel like cutting pork

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:45 am »
I would agree that the show is not terribly well executed.  I found the BBQ Paradise episode to be more informative.  As I understand it, the cooking methods at Kreuz and Smitty's are far more different than just the locations.

I did enjoy the exchange with Smitty's grandson (Pit man at Smitty's) about the sausage recipe.

Host:  So do you follow a secret recipe for you sausage
Pitman:  Yeah, we've got one, it's usually about 85% beef and the rest pork.  Although it varies and even some days it is all beef.
Host:  Why don't you always have the pork
Pitman:  Cause some days I don't feel like cutting pork

I like the idea of "you'll get what we give you".  Reminds me of eating in "restaurants" in rural Mexico.  You walk in, sit down, and they bring you the food, whatever it is they felt like cooking that day.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:43:19 am »
I thought you are on record as liking Mueller's best.

i was just talking about smitty's vs. kreuz.  i do prefer mueller over both of these, though, but I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 08:40:50 pm »

So dat wuz you? I wondered if you'd shown up on camera.

I've only had Smitty's once, in January when we did our weekend-long bbq crawl. The flavors were good, but the sausage was waaaaay too greasy and the brisket was waaaay too fatty. There was so much grease in the Smitty's sausage that I got a little nauseous after eating just a little bit. Didn't happen to me at all at Black's or Kreuz.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:58 pm »
Yeah, I made the show and have a slightly extended bit on one of the web clips. I'm glad they didn't use any of the clips of me blatantly lying and fortunately, I wasn't as much of an idiot as some of the other clowns they used. Mach shau! indeed.

The sausage used to be a lot closer to the same in both places but Smitty's is definitely greasier now - I don't remember it being quite that greasy years ago.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 09:30:54 pm »
Yeah, I made the show and have a slightly extended bit on one of the web clips. I'm glad they didn't use any of the clips of me blatantly lying and fortunately, I wasn't as much of an idiot as some of the other clowns they used. Mach shau! indeed.

The sausage used to be a lot closer to the same in both places but Smitty's is definitely greasier now - I don't remember it being quite that greasy years ago.

We got us a celebrity on our hands!  Zipper better watch out!
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."