Author Topic: Arnsberg: the anti-Dewey?  (Read 1369 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Arnsberg: the anti-Dewey?
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:09:47 pm »
Footer begins her 'Touching Base' series (letting Astros fans get to know the Major League coaching staff) with a piece on Brad Arnsberg. [Caution: the 'something you didn't know' tidbit at the bottom of piece is something you really didn't want to know...]

Toronto media portrayed Arnsberg as loyal and as someone who makes no apologies for backing his pitchers 100 percent of the time, no matter what. Perhaps this didn't sit well with some of the higher-ups working for his former employers, but don't bother "Arnie" with such speculation. He's not a politician. He's a coach who is protective of his pitchers, who believes in them and who gives them his time and his ear.

"My early days here, it's more about putting the name with the face and putting a face with the delivery I've seen," Arnsberg said. "Mostly just get my feet on the ground and get to know the guys and start to build the pitcher-coach-pitcher bond with the group. I try to establish that real family feel early in camp. I try to go out of my way to get all 28, 29 guys into games as early as possible."

"I went to camps when I was younger where I didn't even see Spring Training innings and I kind of went backward," he said. "I need to make sure their feet are on the ground and know that they're wanted and needed."

In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Arnsberg: the anti-Dewey?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »
Arnsberg Pitching Philosophy 101 from McTaggart.  LINK

New Astros pitching coach Brad Arnsberg has been vocal in stressing to his pitchers to pound the lower half of the strike zone. He wants the pitchers to begin down and work their way up the zone.

"When you're up and trying to get the ball down, it can lead to real long days," he said. "It's a little bit further from the eyesight of a hitter and they get the top half of the ball and it's a little bit tougher to get to the middle half of the ball.

"It's easier to get over the top of the bat where they're getting the bottom half of the ball, so pop-ups and grounds are the key to winning. Just because you're not a ground ball pitcher doesn't mean you can't make a living in the big leagues as long as you stay in those low-thigh to beltline areas."
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:38:06 am »
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »
Fallas posts a nice feature on him

That first paragraph alone is refreshing.

Greg M

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »
That first paragraph alone is refreshing.

The direction the team is headed with coaching, management, and a minor league overhaul is all extremely refreshing.  Let's see how it translates to the playing field.  Now...how to get rid of Pam Gardner??

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:14:52 pm »
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »
Fallas is the anti-JDJO. 

I know, right? Yet I feel like I know nothing about him.  What kind of person is he?  Where does he stand on the whole "Drayton's racist" issue?  Which players does he have on speed-dial?  If only he'd interject himself a bit more into his articles.  I mean, I don't even know the dude's first name, much less his middle.
Don't think twice, it's alright.