Author Topic: N'Awlins Repawt  (Read 7531 times)

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
N'Awlins Repawt
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
Day 1:

Drove through barrellfuls of rain once we hit Shreveport on I-20. Literally had to slow down to about 40 mph several times because I just couldn't see 25 feet in front of me. None of the semis slowed, however, and as a result, I drove in constant fear for two hours that we would be swerved down into a ravine and pecked to death by white cranes, which are EVerywhere in Loozeeanner.

Stopped in Natchitoches (spell that five times fast) at a gas station/"deli" for meat pies, a shrimp po-boy, and fried okra for lunch. Some of the best food in this state comes from holes in the wall. Fed the four of us, and got bottled non-fountain drinks, for $17.

The rain stopped around the Atchafalaya River Basin bridge, and the boys and I peered out the windows at many gators out socializing below. Quite a few locals were out fishing in john boats within eyesight and earshot of the gators, who just docilely slithered right on by them.

Made it to the hotel, which is on Canal Street, just 3 blocks from the French Quarter. Walked down past Harrah's to a place called Grand Isle for seafood dinner. The tasso and andouille knocks the gravy on the Shrimp & Grits out of the park; the gumbo, which is appropriately the color of week-old dishwater, is the least salty I've tasted in some time, and was quite delicious. And the wonder that is Barbecue Shrimp*, which I hadn't had before last night, makes you just want to drink the "gravy" it comes in. The $9.95 for a kids' plate of chicken strips, french fries, and cole slaw, while all made at the restaurant and not just popped in the microwave straight from the freezer, is frown-worthy, but he ate it all, so we didn't bitch. Much.

Of course, we got drenched by another massive raincloud while walking back to the hotel. Not may non-Texans know that we don't actually dissolve in rain, and we had a good laugh jogging by the windows of a few schmancy restaurants on the way back and getting looks from schmancier diners.

Today's agenda includes a trip to Lafayette Cemetery #1 (which is surprisingly only open until 2:30 pm) followed by a po-boy lunch at a neighborhood place that comes highly recommended. Review to follow.

Just hope, for our sakes, that we don't have to deal with much more of this "rain" shit.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
Re: N'Awlins Repawt
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:07 am »
...followed by a po-boy lunch at a neighborhood place that comes highly recommended. Review to follow.

If it's Parkway Bakery, get the roast beef or the gravy (french fry).

ETA: If it's Domelise's, get the oyster.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:07:17 am »
ETA: If it's Domelise's, get the oyster.

I love Domelise's.  Also, the spicy sausage there is fantastic.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »
I love Domelise's.  Also, the spicy sausage there is fantastic.

I agree. Can't beat Miss Dot's spicy sausage.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »
take a side trip through zwolle and pick up some tamales if you want some good eats
forever is composed entirely of nows

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »
Today's agenda includes a trip to Lafayette Cemetery #1

Anybody like Walker Percy?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:36 pm »
Anybody like Walker Percy?

Not as much as I like Shelby Foote, but yes.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:21 pm »
Not as much as I like Shelby Foote, but yes.

They were friends, but one was a novelist and the other an historian. Are you more likely to prefer nonfiction to fiction?
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:09 pm »
They were friends, but one was a novelist and the other an historian. Are you more likely to prefer nonfiction to fiction?

Yes, but I enjoy Foote's prose mostly as a result of seeing him on The Civil War and I read it hearing his voice and Southern inflection.

I'd call both of them novelists, although Foote's most famous work was the historical narrative he did publish several novels prior to that. I need to read more Percy.

Hasn't got anything to do with the South or New Orleans, but I enjoy William Kennedy in much the same way as I do Shelby Foote or John Updike or Roger Angell, the inventive and precise use of the language to tell the story.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »
Day 2:

It was cloudy and/or overcast all day, but thank the Lawd, no damn rain bore down. After the Mr. registered for his conference, we got the car from the valet (it is absolutely highway fuckin' robbery that the Sheraton doesn't tell you until you get here that it's $30.18 per day to park your car, and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, unless you wanna pay $15 per day for uncovered, out-in-the-open parking three blocks away where God only knows what might happen to your ride) and drove a little meandering route to St. Charles Avenue, then to Washington Street, where we found Lafayette Cemetery #1. A volunteer was finishing a tour with a small group, so we kind of hovered while he explained how yellow fever once ravaged the city, as well as some encounters he had with family members who have come over the years to pay respects and keep up the graves. There are some really interesting structures there, and the cemetery is much more crowded than it looks in the movies. Yes, really. Lots of Masons are buried there, as are quite a few Woodmen, whose headstones can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodsmen_of_the_World

Mahony's http://www.mahonyspoboys.com/ was our next stop, and while it wasn't the dive I'd thought it was, it is a neighborhood place that makes some damn good sammich. Mr. 94CG had a grilled-shrimp-fried-green-tomato-and-remoulade po-boy; I got the Cochon de Lait with pulled pork (no bbq sauce) topped with dijon-seasoned cole slaw; Picky Eater Younger Brother (the one who ate the $9.95 chicken strip dinner last night) again had chicken strips, but this time they were $5.95; and Big Brother Not At All Picky Eater ordered what turned out to be the best sandwich in the place, apparently- the Peacemaker. Fried oysters, remoulade AND mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, cheddar, and bacon. I got great photos of him unwrapping the Marvelous Wonder, chowing down, and finally debating whether he could finish the last four bites. Oh, and a basket of uber-thin onion rings was shared by all but PEYB (see above). All of this gloriousness was washed down with cold Abita Root Beer. Lunch for 4 at Mahony's ain't as cheap as you'd think, especially with two seafood po-boys, but it was worth it.

We drove to the French Quarter and walked around for about an hour to work off the edge of the lunch. Jackson Square http://www.jackson-square.com/ is really pretty, and there are several museums right on the square. Bourbon Street is okay to walk around with your kids during the day, but you have to watch what photos are posted in the windows of some businesses.  :o  "Heeeey, boys, look, um... over THERE!" *point in the opposite direction of the pics of the nearly-nude chicks who perform in the bar... I think the bar actually had the words "sex acts" in its name...* We checked out Rev. Zombie's Voodoo Shop, and took the obligatory stroll in front of Pat O'Brien's. We stumbled upon the Court of Two Sisters http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/, where we may try to go for brunch on Friday.

Back to the hotel to cool off- despite the lack of sun and the breeze, it's still humid. Mr. 94CG went to the first conference workshops late in the afternoon, and I took the boys to the hotel pool. We walked back to the French Quarter, just up the street from Jackson Square (which, as it turns out, is only 6 blocks from the Sheraton), to the Gumbo Shop http://www.gumboshop.com/. PEYB not only found grilled cheese and garlic mashed potatoes on the menu, we convinced him to try some of our food- red beans and rice with sausage, and chicken-and-sausage jambalaya. The jambalaya is now PEYB-approved, as is the chocolate brownie sundae, but he wouldn't touch the seafood gumbo that his brother ordered. I think the crab claws and shell in it freaked him out. Mr. 94CG also had Shrimp Creole, yum. Coming back, we looked towards Bourbon but didn't dare go near it at 7:30 pm, We have since been safely ensconced in our hotel room flipping channels between the Red Sox and the Octomom lost footage.  :o

Tomorrow's plan: I promised the boys we'd have beignets one day for breakfast, so I think tomorrow will be Cafe du Monde http://www.cafedumonde.com/ Day. Dad can have lunch with us, and we've got a few ideas, but we don't know where we'll go yet. Tomorrow afternoon I'm probably taking the boys back to the museums on Jackson Square- one of them is the Cabildo, which once upon a time was the area's government center when the Spanish owned the place, and post-Civil War, Plessy v. Ferguson was heard in its courtroom.

Parkway is indeed on my list of places to hit, and I've been intrigued by the repeated sights of a "gravy" po-boy on several menus here. I think we'll have to order one just to try it.

I have also decided that anyone who has written a book titled How to Be an American Novelist in Spite of Being Southern and Catholic deserves to be read.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:41:37 pm by 94CougarGrad »
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:45:47 pm »
That really sounds like you're having a great time!

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:19 pm »
I have also decided that anyone who has written a book titled How to Be an American Novelist in Spite of Being Southern and Catholic deserves to be read.

The dude was all right. You can't go wrong with The Moviegoer, The Last Gentleman or Lancelot. Lancelot and Lafayette Cemetery was what got me thinking about this to begin with.

I certainly don't identify with his thinking all up and down the line but Dr Percy is on good old chuck's (very) short list of excellent 20th century American authors of fiction. Another confused southerner is on the list as well. Apparently when WP applied to UNC as an undergraduate he wrote his essay in Faulknerian style and was placed in remedial English.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:39 pm »
Does that mean Faulkner is the other confused Southerner on your list?

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:09:56 pm »
Does that mean Faulkner is the other confused Southerner on your list?

You bet.
Y todo lo que sube baja

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 10:31:52 pm »
Tomorrow's plan: I promised the boys we'd have beignets one day for breakfast, so I think tomorrow will be Cafe du Monde http://www.cafedumonde.com/ Day.

Good plan. The Aquarium of the Americas is probably around 8 blocks away from Cafe du Monde... great for kiddos, if you're looking to pass some time.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:20 pm »
I second the vote for the Aquarium.  Nice and air conditioned.  The zoo was nice, but it's way too hot in the summer to enjoy it.

A couple places we like to eat when we go to New Orleans:  Cafe Maspero (on Decatur, across the street from the Jax brewery/mini mall) and Acme Oysterhouse (on Iberville between Royal & Bourbon, one block from Canal).  They aren't Emeril-quality fine dining, but the food's good and pretty cheap.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »
I have eaten raw oysters all over the world but have never had oysters on the half shell that approach those I've had at Pascal's Manale on Napoleon Avenue.
Y todo lo que sube baja

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 08:47:23 am »
That really sounds like you're having a great time!

I don't see any threeways involving midgets, so it can't be that great of a time.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 09:40:19 am »
There's a pretty good Confederate museum in New Orleans if your boys like history.  Also, the cemetary across from Commander's Palace is interesting to walk through.

Purity of Essence

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:20 am »
I don't see any threeways involving midgets, so it can't be that great of a time.

It's early yet. First the food, then the midgets.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25:55 am »
There's a pretty good Confederate museum in New Orleans if your boys like history.  Also, the cemetary across from Commander's Palace is interesting to walk through.

You don't want to be in that neighborhood on foot, at night.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 01:53:16 pm »
Liuzza's was one of my old stomping grounds. Draw one!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 09:00:33 am »

Yep, that's Lafayette Cemetery #1, where we went first. Very cool place.

Mini-update with no links at the moment, since I gotta run back upstairs to the room so the Mr. can get to his conference. We only get free wireless access in the hotel lobby, you see.

Did indeed hit Cafe' du Monde yesterday morning, where I fed me iced cafe' au lait and the kids milk and beignets for like $12 or something crazy. Picked up a souvenir t-shirt for UNDER 10 bucks for the young man who's watching my dog back at home. It was cloudy and drizzling, so not hot at all, and we walked around the waterfront area... Artillery Park, I think it's called, which is between Jackson Square and the Mississippi. Lots of colorful characters out there to see and talk to, lots of pictures for the scrapbooks. Spent about an hour and a half out there before we went back to the hotel to pick up the Mr. and walk to K-Paul's, only 5 blocks up the street, for lunch. They've been serving lunch since Mardi Gras and it's been a big hit. Tremendous food. Non-Picky Eater Big Brother (or whatever I called him on page 1) got a popcorn shrimp Caesar salad, which turned out to have a large amount of good-sized, decidedly not "popcorn," shrimp and homemade croutons that were sprinked with hot stuff- zowie! The bartender told us that Paul lives just a few minutes away in an area of N'Awlins called The Marigny, and he still comes into the restaurant all the time to shake hands and kiss babies. He's nearly 70, so he doesn't really go into the kitchen anymore.

Back to the hotel to cool off and relax a bit, then the boys and I walked back to Jackson Square, intending to hit the museums at the Cabildo and the Presbytere- only to find out that they were closed and blocked off because at St. Louis Cathedral, smack dab in between the Cabildo and the Presbytere, they were installing the new Catholic Archbishop of the New Orleans Diocese. Ducked into a shop to be in the a/c and buy some bottled water, plus talk to the shoplady who happened to know a ton of history about N'Awlins, and hung out long enough to see all the bishops and cardinals and the new archbishop exit the church and mill about. We aren't Catholic, but an event like this is rare to see, and the boys were interested. And of course, the camera batteries picked THAT EXACT MOMENT to die.

Back to the hotel to hit the pool for a while before Mr. came upstairs. Drove to Emeril's original restaurant for a dinner that can only be described as WOW, of course. Up to the hotel room to hang out, let the boys watch tv, and let me get some work done on the computer before hitting the sack.

Today's plan: hang out in the room until the Mr. has a lunch break at 11, then drive to the Parkway for po-boys. Return the Mr. to the hotel and go to the World War II Museum at the boys' request, then back to the hotel in the afternoon to figger out where to go for dinner. Haven't had one single bad dish yet in this city. We leave tomorrow morning to hit the road for DFW... just when I'm memorizing my way around the Quarter.

Amusing note: Older boy, 11, is a mongo Longhorns fan. He wore a UT shirt yesterday and was thrilled to have about four different people comment, "Hey! Hook 'Em, Horns!" as we walked around yesterday afternoon. Put a big ole grin right on his face to get that in the middle of Tiger territory.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 09:09:23 am »
I would second chuck's enthusiasm for Pascal's Manale. Not too far a cab ride to uptown. The raw oyster bar is sublime and the meals are unique. Check it out if you can.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 10:04:07 am »
I would second chuck's enthusiasm for Pascal's Manale. Not too far a cab ride to uptown. The raw oyster bar is sublime and the meals are unique. Check it out if you can.

The orginater, IIRC, of BBQ Shrimp. They give you bib when you order it and boy do you need it. You can also take the St. Charles streetcar and get off on Napoleon. Not too far a walk from St. Charles.

We always take the streetcar up to Carrollton for breakfast at Camillia Grill. Great waffles and omelets as big as your shoe. Prepare for a wait on weekend mornings. Not far from Tulane.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 10:20:25 am »
The orginater, IIRC, of BBQ Shrimp. They give you bib when you order it and boy do you need it. You can also take the St. Charles streetcar and get off on Napoleon. Not too far a walk from St. Charles.

We always take the streetcar up to Carrollton for breakfast at Camillia Grill. Great waffles and omelets as big as your shoe. Prepare for a wait on weekend mornings. Not far from Tulane.

fantastic dish--BBQ shrimp at Pascal's Manale
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:30:23 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 10:26:58 am »

A Camillia Grill chili omelette and a chocolate freeze is the greatest hangover cure known to man.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:23 am »
A Camillia Grill chili omelette and a chocolate freeze is the greatest hangover cure known to man.

THey fix a pretty good greasy hamburger, too.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 01:18:05 pm »
I always liked the cajun burger at Fat Harry's: They knead together ground beef and hot sausage into one patty. Great hangover grub, with cheese fries.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 10:20:27 pm »
We drove by Fat Harry's tonight! I noted that there was a Catholic school across the street (Academy of the Sacred Heart, maybe?), and the boys did their usual, "So, mom, if we lived here, that's where we'd go to school?" routine, and Mr. answered, "Yes, and we'd make sure your dismissal instructions specified that you could walk to meet your father across the street at Fat Harry's." He hadn't heard a damn thing about the place, just loved the hole-in-the-wall look and the name.

We attempted to find the Parkway at lunch, but after following the directions we were given, we couldn't, and time was ticking away on Mr.'s lunch clock. We turned around and went to Magazine Street Po-Boy, which was really friggin' good. Only place I've ever been to where the muffalotta (dat's how de Y'ats say it, no matter how it's spelled) was served on a French loaf rather than the round bread thingy. The kids discovered Barq's Red Cream Soda, which is tasty. We got more food here than at Mahony's, and for a bit cheaper. Cash only!

We did drop the Mr. back at the hotel while the boys and I headed for the National WWII Museum. We got there just in time to sign up for a volunteer-led tour of the Pacific Theater exhibit, which interested us, as my Dad fought in the Pacific with the Marines. A staggering fact that I never knew: the Japanese captured millions of Chinese POWs, and when the war ended, they released all the ones they had left alive: fifty-five. Or at least, that's what Volunteer Jeff, who served in the Navy for 6 years, told us. The entire tour was very interesting, and a bit melancholy for me, because I wondered what it'd have been like to be there with my Dad. A few WWII vets were wandering in the place, and my boys politely shook their hands and thanked them for their service to our country- without me prompting them to do it. Maybe the Mr. and I are doin' something right, after all.

A monsoon occurred while we were in the museum for 3 hours, so we were doubly glad we'd found an indoor activity. Back to the hotel to give Mom a break, and then we walked to the Quarter for dinner at Acme Oyster House. I'd wanted to try Felix's across the street, but the neon signs and the fact that Adam Richmond/Richman from "Man Vs. Food" on the Travel Channel has taken the 15-pounds-of-oysters challenge at Acme beat my preference. The food wasn't the best I've had while we were here, but it was still pretty good.

Back to the hotel to throw the boys into the pool, then out into the Garden District (which is when we passed Fat Harry's) to the Creole Creamery to sugar them up again with parlor-made ice cream. Red Velvet Cake was tasty, as was Caramel Chicory Chocolate.

Lo and behold, when we returned to the hotel, they'd brought out a huge screen in the lobby bar, and we are watching the Cowboys kick the petunias out of the Titans. Bah. I don't dislike the Cowboys, but I don't buy into the religion they've become up in North Texas.

Tonight, we pack up, and tomorrow morning after we eat breakfast (possibly at this Camillia Grill some of y'all mentioned), we drive back to the Metroplex. I've enjoyed visiting here, but don't know that I'd ask Mr. to apply for a professorship at Tulane or anything. It's nice knowing that in Denton, I don't have to pack up and run from hurricanes, and there's that whole thing about it being twice as muggy here as it is in Houston.

Two things we didn't get to to that we wanted to: Visit the Tulane and UNO campuses, and Younger Brother *really* wants to ride the St. Charles Streetcar- which would have taken us by those very campii. Ah, well, that's an activity for another N'Awlins trip.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 10:35:43 pm »
I'd like to thank Mr. and Mrsl 94CG for the fantastic trip report. There is a wealth of information here, and I, for one, really appreciate the information.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 12:29:44 am »
Man, sounds like a fun trip, lots of good info.  The boys and the WWII vets sounds pretty cool.  Good job.   

I would also like to mention that I am officially putting myself up for adoption, if you're interested.
I say smorgasbord!

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 01:41:23 pm »
I'd like to thank Mr. and Mrsl 94CG for the fantastic trip report. There is a wealth of information here, and I, for one, really appreciate the information.

Happy to help! Normally I don't document our adventures quite like this, but I figured I'd do it this time since I bothered to come here and ask people about where to go in New Orleans.

Final morning we went to the southeast side of the Quarter, to a place named Eat on the corner of Dauphine and Dumaine, for breakfast. Hubba hubba. This area of the quarter is really interesting, as the businesses are still there, but there are quite a few actual houses in this area as well- all with front doors about, oh, three feet off the street up a flight of four or five stairs, and each house is about two to three feet apart as well. On our way to Eat, we walked by a guy sitting on his front "porch" reading the paper and drinking coffee while his dog sat right behind him and waggled his tongue and tail at passers-by. We also kept seeing "school zone" signs, but no schools. Our waiter pointed out the one across the street from Eat (we'd walked up the side of the school and not seen the sign on the front door) and said there are quite a few Catholic schools sprinkled throughout the Quarter- they're just discreet, and sometimes, you can live down the street from one and not know it's there until a few girls in plaid skirts wander by. This one on Dauphine and Dumaine is tied in with the St. Louis Cathedral- the one on Jackson Square where they installed the new Archbishop on Thursday. And approximately half of the people who live in the Quarter seem to own dogs. We saw 'em everywhere- the only cats we saw were in the window of a loomworks shop on Chartres. I suppose they were the anti-theft system.

The line outside Cafe' du Monde was crazy long that morning, which is why we didn't go there again. It was half a block long from the front door at both 10am and 11:30 am. I'd seriously recommend going there pretty much on a weekday morning, as it's still crowded, but some seats are available. Even more interesting characters hang out at the Square on the weekends- artists, tarot card readers, living statues, musicians, all kinds of street performers. I don't think I've seen as many street folks on Guadeloupe in Austin.

When driving back on I-10 towards Texas, make sure you exit #115 just outside Breaux Bridge. On the north side of I-10, just past the Landry's, is a place whose sign reads "Boudin Shop." It's a shack of a place, and the folks who work there speak some English when they're not speaking Cajun (although the place is now owned by a Middle Easterner, who may or may not speak Cajun). Once you get inside, you learn that the name of the place is Chicken on the Bayou, and they serve some of the bestest vittles fairly cheap. We fed all four of us, with drinks, for $23. Gumbo, boudin balls, fried alligator, chicken strips (gotta feed that picky eater), fries, hush puppies. You can also buy lots of Cajun spices and sauces there.

I've never posted photos here. Can I post them directly from my computer, or do I have to save them to Flickr first or something?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009, 11:26:22 am »

Seconded.  The banter gets the synapses firing again too.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »
I once walked to Camelia Grill straight from F&M Patio Bar at 8:00 a.m., loaded out of my mind. All's I know is that I must have bought breakfast for the house given what I spent in there, none of which I remember due to an appalling amount of a scotch and xanax cocktail. I didn't get kicked out though. Strange, since I've been shown the door in lesser estabs.