Author Topic: Out-of-town recs, version du N'awlins  (Read 7559 times)

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Out-of-town recs, version du N'awlins
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:50:25 pm »
The hubby is being sent to New Orleans in mid-August for a conference and the boys and I are tagging along. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions? We hear that you can do the French Quarter during the daytime with kids, but after happy hour isn't a good idea. It'll be the boys (11 and 8 ) and I looking for things to do during mid-morning and early afternoon, then Dad will be available after 2 or 3.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:00:01 pm by 94CougarGrad »
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Out-of-town recs, version du N'awlins
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:29:48 pm »
You should definitely check out the aquarium, as it's nice and a good way to get out of the heat.  The zoo's pretty nice as well, but hot as hell in the summer.

Take 'em to Cafe du Monde at least once for beignets for breakfast.  Exploring Jackson Square is always nice, and you can take 'em to the French market for cheap souvenirs.

I've never done it, but I've heard the Steamboat is a pretty cool thing to do. You could also take them over to the Mardi Gras world where they have all the old Mardi Gras parade floats. It might be of interest to them.

I've not done the family-friendly New Orleans trip yet, so I'm sure there are those around here who will have far more advice than I.  Now, if you want suggestions on meals and late-night debauchery, I can help you there ;)
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 06:51:25 pm »
Mid-August will be horrifically hot and humid. The Aquarium is a good idea, as is Cafe Du Monde early in the morning or sometime at night, but try to find things to do and places to visit that are air conditioned because it is going to be brutal during the afternoon.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 07:39:55 pm »
I was there two weeks ago.  I will never, never ever complain about the humidity in Houston.

Having said that...Take them on a Vampire Tour. Especially if they're anti-Catholic. 

BatGirl

• Contributor
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »
spent summers in nola a lot growing up
i always loved going to the wax museum
http://www.neworleanswaxmuseum.com/

a) it was freezing cold
and
2. i was a geek
..because chickens are decent people.

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:28:12 am »
Going there this weekend for a bachelor party. We're gonna gamble, drink and get lapdances but have no idea what to do late morning/afternoons.

Ideas?

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:31:56 am »
Going there this weekend for a bachelor party. We're gonna gamble, drink and get lapdances but have no idea what to do late morning/afternoons.

Ideas?

Get a burger at Port O Call on Esplanade. http://portofcallnola.com/
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

otterjb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:46:31 am »

Not much beats a good burger, during or after a night of drinking. Will probably try that place out. thanks.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:01:29 am »

Ideas?

I guess I'm confused.  Why won't you be gambling, drinking and getting lapdances in the late morning/afternoons?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 08:46:52 am »
We enjoy eating at Cafe Maspero on Decatur and the Acme Oysterhouse is really good as well.

Go to Pat O'Brien's, we always enjoy the piano bar (but that might not be rowdy enough for a Bachelor party...)

Good thing about Bourbon Street is there is no lack of bars and strip clubs.  If you don't like where you're at, get your "geaux" cup and head to the next one.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:11 am »
Not much beats a good burger, during or after a night of drinking. Will probably try that place out. thanks.

Expect a wait. Always.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:10:55 am »
Sunday morning:
Mass at St. Louis Cathedral then jazz brunch at The Court of Two Sisters.
E come vivo? Vivo.

Andyzipp

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 09:11:53 am »
I had a crazy dream that someone spicy showed his ass on a thread really similar to this one last night.

Too much mezcal, I guess.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:44:16 am »

That place is a definite hangover buster.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 10:23:32 am »

And be sure to wash it down with a Monsoon in order to get back on the gambling/drinking/lap dancing train.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »

Ideas?

Sleep.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:24:59 pm »
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:57 pm »
overrated. 

I like the nightlife!  Sleep in late morning/early afternoon, or late afternoon when it is hot.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:27 pm »
I like the nightlife!  Sleep in late morning/early afternoon, or late afternoon when it is hot.

As a night person, I agree with you 100%.   Doesn't change the fact sleep is overrated.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »
As a night person, I agree with you 100%.   Doesn't change the fact sleep is overrated.

I think sleep is fucking outstanding. I used to try to explain this to my son when he was about three... if all I was required to do in life is eat food that someone else prepared, sleep multiple times in a 24-hour period, take extended hot showers, and play, I sure as hell wouldn't complain about 3 of those 4 things like he did.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:40 pm »
I think sleep is fucking outstanding. I used to try to explain this to my son when he was about three... if all I was required to do in life is eat food that someone else prepared, sleep multiple times in a 24-hour period, take extended hot showers, and play, I sure as hell wouldn't complain about 3 of those 4 things like he did.

Truthfully, the comment about sleep being overrated was a joke.    If I could sleep, eat and watch TV/browse the interwebs all day long, it would be an ideal existence.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 03:00:13 pm »
Truthfully, the comment about sleep being overrated was a joke.    If I could sleep, eat and watch TV/browse the interwebs all day long, it would be an ideal existence.

In New Orleans it is overrated, but one's body can only go so long with out it. (unless you are an Alaskan Crab fisherman)  The time for me to get it in NO is during the day.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 11:36:39 am »
Be sure to check out the live jazz - of course you can't go wrong at Preservation Hall or Snug Harbor, but my favorite is Fritzel's, and is convenient if you are already in the quarter.

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 11:42:38 am »
Rock and Bowl (Mid City Lanes on Carrollton) is also a great place for zydeco music, dancing, and bowling, of course.  See who is on the calendar when you will be in town - last time we were there we went to see Amanda Shaw (amazing!), Tab Benoit, and Dr. John made a surprise appearance.  It was awesome!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 01:03:53 pm »
Sunday morning:
Mass at St. Louis Cathedral then jazz brunch at The Court of Two Sisters.

That mass is for whimpy tourists. Check out the Tridentine Latin Mass at Old St. Patrick's on Camp Street, which ain't far away.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:11:51 pm »
Be sure to talk to as many of the nice locals as you can.  They're so knowledgeable!  I can't figure it out, but this one guy knew just about everything about my shoes.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

astrojo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 01:13:39 pm »
Be sure to talk to as many of the nice locals as you can.  They're so knowledgeable!  I can't figure it out, but this one guy knew just about everything about my shoes.

yes, he can tell you where you "got them shoes".

Guinness

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »
That mass is for whimpy tourists. Check out the Tridentine Latin Mass at Old St. Patrick's on Camp Street, which ain't far away.

Yeah but does it count?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:45 pm »
Yeah but does it count?

Sure it do. They've had permission for that mass forever.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Guinness

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 01:42:31 pm »
Sure it do. They've had permission for that mass forever.

Well cool, that must be pretty neat.

Andyzipp

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 01:45:16 pm »

Is that the place with the Vampires in the attic?

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »
Well cool, that must be pretty neat.

It was my regular mass when I lived and worked in the city. It's like walking into a time warp. You're whisked back to pre-Vatican II. It's a beautiful mass and only lasts 45-55 minutes, and the long only is when the choir sings the mass (once a month). After the third sunday of each month, they do benediction in the old style, which shouldn't be missed either. Tantum ergo and O Salutaris Hostia sung in their glory. I miss it just writing about it. I know people who travel 2-3 hours each way every sunday to go to that mass and to have women wearing veils, etc.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 03:42:05 pm »
It's a beautiful mass

You're right. I haven't been to one in years. After the colloquial Mass was instituted, I remember overhearing Monsignor say "I'll be damned if I'm going to turn my back on God." Of course he did eventually. Betty Cantu sure changed everything.
E come vivo? Vivo.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »
I was there two weeks ago.  I will never, never ever complain about the humidity in Houston.

Having said that...Take them on a Vampire Tour. Especially if they're anti-Catholic. 

We're not anti-Catholic, but a Vampire Tour sounds interesting. Hubby wants to hit one of the cemetery tours.

This will be a totally different New Orleans experience for me. I last went to the French Quarter when I was young, single, in college, and quite drunk.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 01:17:55 pm »
We're not anti-Catholic, but a Vampire Tour sounds interesting. Hubby wants to hit one of the cemetery tours.

This will be a totally different New Orleans experience for me. I last went to the French Quarter when I was young, single, in college, and quite drunk.

The Louisiana Museum is worth seeing if you're into history, as well as the Historic New Orleans Collection.