Author Topic: More out of town recommendations...Santa Fe style  (Read 26498 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
More out of town recommendations...Santa Fe style
« on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:49 am »
Going there the end of the month for anniversary weekend.  Specifically looking for restaurants, other than the Lotaburger.  Willing to spend $$$$.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: More out of town recommendations...Santa Fe style
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:59:02 am »
I went to a wedding at the Haak Winery a few months ago.  The wine was pretty awful, but the folks were nice. 

Oh, wait... you're not talking about Santa Fe, Texas? 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 10:02:53 am »
Oh, wait... you're not talking about Santa Fe, Texas? 

Was thinking a little farther west.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:24 am »
I've never had a bad meal here. http://www.coyotecafe.com/

The restaurant at The Inn of The Anasazi is also excellent.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:38:07 am »
I've never had a bad meal here. http://www.coyotecafe.com/

The restaurant at The Inn of The Anasazi is also excellent.

Try Geronimo ...  It's near the top end of Canyon Road (where all the galleries are) and is excellent.  Coyote Cafe is a bit touristy, and the large open dining room is not what you expect for the prices.  If you can get a spot near the balcony wall at the bar outside, though, it is a great place for drinks and munchies. 
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:42:56 am »
Try Geronimo ...  It's near the top end of Canyon Road (where all the galleries are) and is excellent.  Coyote Cafe is a bit touristy, and the large open dining room is not what you expect for the prices.  If you can get a spot near the balcony wall at the bar outside, though, it is a great place for drinks and munchies. 

Looks pretty good, but the menu is a little seafood heavy for New Mexico.  Not sure I'm all that worked up about Alaskan halibut outside of Alaska.  It's on the list though, thanks.

Guinness

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:47:38 am »

Looks nice.  Pretty clever logo they have!

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:45:17 am »
Going there the end of the month for anniversary weekend.  Specifically looking for restaurants, other than the Lotaburger.  Willing to spend $$$$.

Try the green chile enchiladas at Guadalupe Cafe for lunch.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »
We go pretty often.  Cafe Pasqual's is probably the one place we go every time, either for breakfast or dinner.  You need reservations, at least for dinner.  I also like the dining room in the La Fonda for breakfast--It's a pretty room.  Eat enchiladas at least once at the Shed.  Eat dirt in Chimayo, and have the Chimayo cocktail at the Chimayo Inn.  We've stayed most places, but always go back to the El Rey on Cerillos.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:41:30 pm »
We go pretty often.  Cafe Pasqual's is probably the one place we go every time, either for breakfast or dinner.  You need reservations, at least for dinner.  I also like the dining room in the La Fonda for breakfast--It's a pretty room.  Eat enchiladas at least once at the Shed.  Eat dirt in Chimayo, and have the Chimayo cocktail at the Chimayo Inn.  We've stayed most places, but always go back to the El Rey on Cerillos.

Cool.  We're staying at Casa de Estrellas...any words of wisdom?

strosrays

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »
We go pretty often. 

A let-down after Beaumont, I am guessing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:17 pm »

yes, but a bow tie is more acceptable.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

strosrays

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 01:55:22 pm »
yes, but a bow tie is more acceptable.

Right, especially if you got some little turquoise things on it.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:00 pm »
Cool.  We're staying at Casa de Estrellas...any words of wisdom?

Don't know it.  Doesn't mean anything, just don't.  The Plaza Cafe is also great for breakfast, as is the Tecolote Cafe. 
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Astros Fan in SoCal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 02:09:01 pm »
The Compound for a fancy and good dinner (or lunch). Tia Sophia's for the best New Mexican breakfast (or lunch; not open for dinner). Also Maria's for New Mexican. Those two places are local faves. Bobcat Bite for the best burger in the US (so says the New York Times)--beware, it's not open Sundays or Mondays and they only take cash.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »
Bobcat Bite for the best burger in the US (so says the New York Times)--beware, it's not open Sundays or Mondays and they only take cash.

If I'm getting a burger in New Mexico, it's a green chile cheeseburger from Lotaburger.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:27 pm »

I haven't stayed in Beaumont yet, only driven through and been to the courthouse. 

My dad was stationed in Albuquerque during world war II, and always told a great story of driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and pulling into the square in Santa Fe when there wasn't a whole lot to Santa Fe except square.  They went to New Mexico most summers when I was a kid.  It was close, and it was cool.  I saw my first hippy circa 1967 on the square at Taos.  He was wearing a Eugene McCarthy button.  It was very remarkable.  Until my parents died, I was out there at least once a year from, I don't know, 1966?  I probably like Taos better than Santa Fe, but I've spent more time out of the cities.  It's a good place.

Greg M

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 03:59:46 pm »
I lived in Santa Fe and Albuquerque for far too long.  My folks are still in Santa Fe, so I visit often. 

There is a plethora of expensive restaurants.  Choose wisely.  I highly recommend Santa Cafe, Coyote Cafe, even the Coyote Cantina which is cheaper and a more pleasant experience IMO, and to some extent the Compound.  I'm not a fan of Geronimo's.  It's more of the name and location that gets people there.  It's not worth the money.  Might have been at one point.  With all expensive restaurants, it always depends on who the chef is.  People come and go often in the restaurant business, so there are no guarantees.  But, those are the spots I'd chose to drop some money.  They've been consistently good.  If you're looking for NEW MEXICAN, you won't find Tex Mex, than Maria's has the best atmosphere.  Tomasita's food is a little better and closer to the hotels/downtown.  If you don't like green chile, than I wouldn't eat New Mexican as a Texan.  It's all about the green chile.

If you're looking for breakfast, in town, the Tecalote Cafe is tasty and always treats my hangovers well.  If you don't mind driving another 5 miles, Harry's Roadhouse just off the I-25 Old Pecos Trail exit is top notch.  I was a waiter there for years.  If you can, nab a back patio table or at least a place on the portale.  Good luck trying to get those spots on weekend mornings or from 12-2.  Place gets hopping.  Excellent margaritas if you go for lunch, not quite as good as the breakfast.  Another breakfast place is downtown, Pasquals.  It's a tiny spot that just gets flooded with people.  I think every hotel sends their guests there if they don't want to eat yogurt and waffles.  Oh, another spot that's fun is the Cowgirl Hall of Fame.  Food's not that great, but the drinks and atmosphere are.  There is no such thing as good BBQ in Santa Fe.  Best you'll find in New Mexico is Rudy's in Albuquerque.

A lunch spot I just thought of is way on the south end of town by the mall, Horseman's Haven.  If you're a man, get a burrito or Frito pie with the level two green chile.  Buyer beware.  It's like no other chile I've tasted.  Great burgers too.  Speaking of burgers, I think Bobcat was brought up.  Fan-fuckin'tastic.  But they have the weirdest fucking hours and it's off the beaten path, past Harry's. 

At night, if you want a drink with a 30-50s crowd, head to El Farol on Canyon.  It's a cozy little joint.  Live music and the drinks aren't too overpriced.  If you want a brew, hit the Second Street Brewery.  It's tucked away from tourists, but it's not that hard to find.  Some solid tasting brews there and they have decent bar food.  I think even for a snob like yourself you won't complain about the beer too much. 

That's what's coming to mind right now.  Have fun....

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 04:00:24 pm »
Try the green chile enchiladas at Guadalupe Cafe for lunch.

Oh yeah, good spot.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:53 pm »

If I'm getting a burger in New Mexico, it's a green chile cheeseburger from Lotaburger.

NEVER can go wrong with those.  Place is straight out of the 60s.  Pure Angus beef and dirt cheap.  But, you can't top Bobcat.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 04:12:46 pm »
The Compound for a fancy and good dinner (or lunch). Tia Sophia's for the best New Mexican breakfast (or lunch; not open for dinner). Also Maria's for New Mexican. Those two places are local faves. Bobcat Bite for the best burger in the US (so says the New York Times)--beware, it's not open Sundays or Mondays and they only take cash.

Is the Compound the place with the plexiglass insert in the floor?  It let's you look down into the original construction?  It's good. Maria's and the Shed are pretty comparable, but the Shed's more interesting inside. 

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 04:28:08 pm »
I lived in Santa Fe and Albuquerque for far too long.  My folks are still in Santa Fe, so I visit often. 

Does the Pink Adobe exist anymore?  I haven't thought of it in years, but it had a great bar. 

I've been to both, but have no clue which one was Coyote Cafe and which one was Santa Cafe.  They seemed pretty interchangeable to me.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 06:04:48 pm »

There is a plethora of expensive restaurants.  Choose wisely.  I highly recommend Santa Cafe, Coyote Cafe, even the Coyote Cantina which is cheaper and a more pleasant experience IMO, and to some extent the Compound.  I'm not a fan of Geronimo's.  It's more of the name and location that gets people there.  It's not worth the money.  Might have been at one point.  With all expensive restaurants, it always depends on who the chef is.  People come and go often in the restaurant business, so there are no guarantees.  But, those are the spots I'd chose to drop some money.  They've been consistently good.  If you're looking for NEW MEXICAN, you won't find Tex Mex, than Maria's has the best atmosphere.  Tomasita's food is a little better and closer to the hotels/downtown.  If you don't like green chile, than I wouldn't eat New Mexican as a Texan.  It's all about the green chile.

No, I LOVE New Mex-Mex.  I go to New Mexico at least once a week, and Santa Fe a few times a year.  It's strictly for business though, so don't go to the fancy places too often.

At night, if you want a drink with a 30-50s crowd, head to El Farol on Canyon.  It's a cozy little joint.  Live music and the drinks aren't too overpriced.  If you want a brew, hit the Second Street Brewery.  It's tucked away from tourists, but it's not that hard to find.  Some solid tasting brews there and they have decent bar food.  I think even for a snob like yourself you won't complain about the beer too much. 

I've been to the Second Street Brewery.  Not bad at all.  We may check out El Farol.

That's what's coming to mind right now.  Have fun....

Thanks for all the tips!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »
NEVER can go wrong with those.  Place is straight out of the 60s.  Pure Angus beef and dirt cheap.  But, you can't top Bobcat.

Lotaburger may not be the *best* burger, but it's kind of a nostalgia thing we me as well.  I just have to go when I'm there.  I guess it'd be like Whataburger for many Texans who live where they can't get one.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
Does the Pink Adobe exist anymore?  I haven't thought of it in years, but it had a great bar. 

I've been to both, but have no clue which one was Coyote Cafe and which one was Santa Cafe.  They seemed pretty interchangeable to me.

"The Pink" is still there. I always liked it although I wouldn't say the food is outstanding. Great apple pie, though and, like you said, great bar.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:56 am »
The Stinky Pinky?  I had many a nights of drunken debauchery there.  It's still around, and notorious as ever, I believe.  It's were all the bad people in the service industry go after their PM shifts end.  Bad people meaning 20 somethings who have no direction in their lives and do a lot of blow.  We used to go there with like 12-15 people and run up a good $350 bill.  We'd ask for the check and the bartender would be like....ummm....$100 sound good to you guys?

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 11:58:11 am »

Lotaburger may not be the *best* burger, but it's kind of a nostalgia thing we me as well.  I just have to go when I'm there.  I guess it'd be like Whataburger for many Texans who live where they can't get one.

Whataburger ain't got a thing on Lotaburger. 

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »

I read the original post and was going to ask you, kind sir, to step outside, were you be dissing the Blake's green chile burger. 

Then I read further and saw you were misquoted in my mind.

Score settled.

Carry on.

Is fishing in NM?   Is Blake's green chile burger.

Is skiing in NM?   Is Blake's green chile burger.

Is going to NM to get beer because they don't card you when you're in Jr High?  Is Blake's green chile burger.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 11:04:36 am »
Just for future reference, the Missus and I have returned from Santa Fe with the following culinary ledger:

Friday Lunch and Margaritas: The Ore House on the Plaza.  Decent green chile enchiladas, sub-par margaritas.

Friday Afternoon Margaritas:  Milagro 139.  Outstanding margaritas, Happy Hour prices were excellent for SF too ($3.75)

Friday Dinner:  La Casa Sena.  Interesting menu, gorgeous patio, outstanding wine list. 

Saturday Breakfast:  Banana and coffee in the room.

Saturday Lunch and Margaritas:  Coyote Cafe Rooftop Cantina.  Good margaritas, good fish tacos, best guacamole I've ever tasted.

Saturday Afternoon Margaritas:  Milagro 139.  Why mess with a good thing.

Saturday Dinner:  Amavi.  Excellent restaurant.  I had the pan-seared half-chicken, the wife had stuffed ravioli.  Good wine selection too.

Sunday Breakfast:  Sleeping Dog Tavern.  Best green chile breakfast burrito I've ever had.  Wife and I split it, and it was too much.

Sunday Lunch and Margaritas:  Milagro 139.  See a pattern developing here?  Met an old local gentleman who used to be the football coach at Robinson HS in Tampa.  We talked about the old neighborhood for a while.

Sunday Afteroon Margaritas:  Hotel bar, Albuquerque Marriot.

Sunday Dinner:  Cielo Sandia, Albuquerque.  EXCELLENT fish tacos.  Good margaritas.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 11:12:26 am »

Friday Dinner:  La Casa Sena.  Interesting menu, gorgeous patio, outstanding wine list

Wow - looked it up. You weren't kidding. What'd you get?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:53 am »

Fuck that.  How are their margaritas?

Also, and place that does good margs, good fish tacos and good guac is my kind of place.  Still haven't had a fish taco to top The Brigantine in Del Mar.

And, no, none of the foregoing was a euphemism.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:21 pm »

I don't remember exactly...we had a bottle of entre-deux-mers with the first course, and a pinot noir from Oregon with the main course.  My wife has it written down somewhere, as well as the corks.  I'll have to look it up.  Also bought a great bottle of New Zealand syrah from the wine shop to have after dinner.  Their wine list is simply one of the best I've ever seen.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 12:25:44 pm »
Fuck that.  How are their margaritas?

Didn't have margaritas at La Casa Sena, only the wine, as we were there for the fine dining.  Like a lot of restaurants there, they have the fine dining portion and the "cantina", where it's more casual and less expensive menu.  We didn't get to their cantina, as the bar at Milagro 139 sort of made an impression upon me.

Also, and place that does good margs, good fish tacos and good guac is my kind of place.  Still haven't had a fish taco to top The Brigantine in Del Mar.

The guacamole was the best I've ever had.  We ordered it whilst we had our first few margaritas, before we ordered anything more, and I'm glad.  Not only was it fabulous, there was a TON of it (it also comes with fire-roasted red chile salsa).  After the guac, we split the order of fish tacos.  The fish tacos had kind of a curry flavor to them.  Interesting and not bad, though not what I was expecting.  This was in the outside cantina part of the Coyote Cafe, not sure what they have in the fine dining part.  We could have sat there and had guac and margs all day.

If you've never been to Santa Fe in the summertime, drop what you're doing and make plans.  If you like food and drink, anyway.  If you're like my father-in-law who went there and ate at Olive Garden and KFC, well then I hope you like jewelry.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 06:04:22 pm »
If you're like my father-in-law who went there and ate at Olive Garden and KFC, well then I hope you like jewelry.

What's wrong with that?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 06:16:58 pm »
What's wrong with that?

Ahh, this takes me back to the Red Lobster imbroglio. 

Seriously, though I don't think he's was saying it as a bad thing.  It's like when my friends come to Houston they have a fucking blast, but when they leave they realize we've just been eating great food and boozing all weekend.  No food and booze in Houston?  Hope you like the Johnson Space Center... and some people do.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:26 am »
So, I'm planning a weekend getaway and considering Santa Fe.  What are the best places to stay?  I would prefer somewhere that is a historic and/or boutique type place to let's say or a ritz or a four seasons, but I have no frame of reference for Santa Fe hotel scene at all.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »
So, I'm planning a weekend getaway and considering Santa Fe.  What are the best places to stay?  I would prefer somewhere that is a historic and/or boutique type place to let's say or a ritz or a four seasons, but I have no frame of reference for Santa Fe hotel scene at all.

The best place to stay in Santa Fe is the El Rey Motel.  I'd add the Shed for enchiladas and Pasquales for restaurants, and I've never been to the Bobcat bowl.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »
The best place to stay in Santa Fe is the El Rey Motel.  I'd add the Shed for enchiladas and Pasquales for restaurants, and I've never been to the Bobcat bowl.

I've stayed twice at the El Rey. It's great value, close to the Plaza but a little far to walk. Well-maintained, pretty grounds. Reminds me of a by-gone era. The last time, which was last June, I wasn't as pleased with it as the first time. The bed was not at all comfortable to me.

I would add another favorite of mine. La Posada is walking distance of the Plaza and definitely has a Santa Fe feel. I've never stayed at the Inn of The Anasazi but I'd like to. Also well located. Always a little pricey for my Scotch-blood.

Pasquales is a must-do everytime I'm in town.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 12:57:13 pm »
I've stayed twice at the El Rey. It's great value, close to the Plaza but a little far to walk. Well-maintained, pretty grounds. Reminds me of a by-gone era. The last time, which was last June, I wasn't as pleased with it as the first time. The bed was not at all comfortable to me.

I would add another favorite of mine. La Posada is walking distance of the Plaza and definitely has a Santa Fe feel. I've never stayed at the Inn of The Anasazi but I'd like to. Also well located. Always a little pricey for my Scotch-blood.

I like La Posada as well, and the breakfasts in the dining room are worth doing.  good huevos rancheros, and it's a really pretty room.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »

Inn of the Anasazi was nice.
Up in the Air

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 01:18:37 pm »
Thanks - yall provide a wealth of knowledge.  I appreciate the tips. 

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »
If you're flying into Albq. and have a little extra time, instead of taking 25 north to Santa Fe, take hwy. 40 east and then cut up on hwy 14 north.  Scenic and some neat former ghost towns like Madrid that are frequented by artiste types.
Purity of Essence

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »
I haven't stayed in Beaumont yet, only driven through and been to the courthouse. 

My dad was stationed in Albuquerque during world war II, and always told a great story of driving from Albuquerque to Santa Fe and pulling into the square in Santa Fe when there wasn't a whole lot to Santa Fe except square.  They went to New Mexico most summers when I was a kid.  It was close, and it was cool.  I saw my first hippy circa 1967 on the square at Taos.  He was wearing a Eugene McCarthy button.  It was very remarkable.  Until my parents died, I was out there at least once a year from, I don't know, 1966?  I probably like Taos better than Santa Fe, but I've spent more time out of the cities.  It's a good place.

I think that hippie is still there.  Just got back from a week in Taos, Northern NM, Santa Fe, etc.  Given a choice between the two, I would choose Taos hands down over Santa Fe.
Purity of Essence

Von Kaiser

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:05 pm »
Bobcat Bite. If you eat another hamburger in New Mexico, you're wasting your time.
"Evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Allen H. "Bud" Selig

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:40 pm »
Bishop's Lodge. Next time. Extra special hotel.

Edit: a friend of mine did say the place is a bit dated and needs some upgrading; five or so years ago. Guess that's why he opened a bed and breakfast in Taos. You know that dude, Taras.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:01:23 pm by ybbodeus »
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 07:48:49 am »
Bishop's Lodge. Next time. Extra special hotel.

Edit: a friend of mine did say the place is a bit dated and needs some upgrading; five or so years ago. Guess that's why he opened a bed and breakfast in Taos. You know that dude, Taras.

I stayed there once over christmas.  It was out of town and lonely--it's definitely a summer place.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2018, 07:41:08 pm »
Thanks for all the Santa Fe recommendations guys. I'm house sitting for a friend here near a place called Museum Hill. Will be here 'til Wednesday, then Taos and, on up to Boulder. We went to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum, it was wonderful but a bit small. Did a bike ride and a bunch of hiking. Had Margaritas some upstairs bar on the Plaza, and ate at the Plaza Café last night. Breakfast was at Horseman's Haven and the green chili burrito was outstanding. The green chili sauce is great. It burns but doesn't hurt. And the best flavored green chili sauce I've ever had.

Now I'm here on my own for the next two days. I took the dogs on a drive up to Abiquiu and hiked a bit earlier. So maybe I'll try the Lottaburger this evening. Any non-touristy-unless-beer-is-involved suggestions for Monday and Tuesday are most welcome, also something in Taos Wednesday.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 02:46:54 pm »
I haven't been to Santa Fe itself, but Santa Fe Brewery does some decent stuff that I've had.

Their Java Stout is pretty stellar, but might be a bit heavy for a New Mexico summer day.

I pinged a few of my most trustworthy beer friends, but nobody has gotten back to me with any killer recommendations about Santa Fe so far.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 10:33:16 pm »
Had breakfast at Pasquals. It was good but not really any better than Horseman's Haven, just fancier and more money. For lunch I had a Blake's Lottaburger Green Chili and Cheese Burger and for fast food it was excellent. Glorious. For dinner it was just cheese, olives, tapas stuff, fruit, wine, and then beer stuff at various places. Now I'm at the house watching the game on my phone and drinking Santa Fe Happy Camper IPA.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 06:18:07 am »
Had breakfast at Pasquals. It was good but not really any better than Horseman's Haven, just fancier and more money. For lunch I had a Blake's Lottaburger Green Chili and Cheese Burger and for fast food it was excellent. Glorious. For dinner it was just cheese, olives, tapas stuff, fruit, wine, and then beer stuff at various places. Now I'm at the house watching the game on my phone and drinking Santa Fe Happy Camper IPA.

It's currently green chile season, which is one of the things that makes August bearable.  Whataburger used to have a green chile cheeseburger, but I haven't seen it in years. 

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:02 pm »
It's currently green chile season, which is one of the things that makes August bearable.  Whataburger used to have a green chile cheeseburger, but I haven't seen it in years.

I know. I double my consumption of Whataburger when they have those.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2018, 02:38:40 pm »

Santa Fe Bite (formerly Bobcat Bite) is a good place for green chili burgers too. It is just off of the plaza in a motel.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2018, 02:49:10 pm »
I know. I double my consumption of Whataburger when they have those.

The Monterey Melt is ok, but it's not green chiles.