Author Topic: Tejada wants to retire an Astro  (Read 7510 times)

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Noe

Re: Tejada wants to retire an Astro
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 11:01:59 pm »
He can retire an Astro (like Ausmus did), that would be fine by me.  *wink, wink*

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:58:12 am »
move him to 3rd and let him stay.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Andyzipp

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:01:43 am »
move him to 3rd and let him stay.

Some don't believe he can play third...because of his "range".

I don't believe his arm is all that good, but I'm torn.  Like the offense, like him on the team, but he's been subpar on defense at short.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04:34 am »

I don't believe his arm is all that good, but I'm torn.  Like the offense, like him on the team, but he's been subpar on defense at short.

he would be a good third baseman.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:05:01 am »

Are these the same "some" Dick Justice likes to quote?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:05:43 am »
he would be a good third baseman.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.  If you can play shortstop, you can play third base.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:11:43 am »

Are these the same "some" Dick Justice likes to quote?

Some...at least one poster here and lots of mediots.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:32 am »
Some...at least one poster here and lots of mediots.

I believe that poster criticizes not Tejada's "range" at third, but his "quickness."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 10:18:35 am »
I believe that poster criticizes not Tejada's "range" at third, but his "quickness."

Who is this mystery poster?

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:20:19 am »
I'd love to at least see him try 3B for a few games, anyway.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Andyzipp

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 10:21:41 am »

very possibly I'm misremembering.

But since range at 3rd is pretty meaningless, you can combat "quickness" with positioning to some extent at 3rd.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:29:56 am »
very possibly I'm misremembering.

But since range at 3rd is pretty meaningless, you can combat "quickness" with positioning to some extent at 3rd.

More of a concern on his ability to cover/field the bunt, particularly the barehand down the 3rd base line and his ability to cutover on slow choppers to the left of short.  He's a major league shortstop -- his hands and quickness should be sufficient for 3rd.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:31:19 am »
More of a concern on his ability to cover/field the bunt, particularly the barehand down the 3rd base line and his ability to cutover on slow choppers to the left of short.  He's a major league shortstop -- his hands and quickness should be sufficient for 3rd.

that is total bullshit. who on earth is saying that?

Andyzipp

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:32:14 am »

I'm pretty sure that Baseball Prospectus told me that bunting is stupid and unnecessary.  So that shouldn't be a concern.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:43:26 am »
that is total bullshit. who on earth is saying that?

I said it.  My opinion is that he'll be a fine 3rd baseman.  If he were to switch w/o an offseason to prepare, I'd be more concerned about those type of plays that I mentioned than the hot shot reaction type plays, but I'm in no way saying he couldn't adequately field the position.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 10:52:54 am »
I said it.  My opinion is that he'll be a fine 3rd baseman.  If he were to switch w/o an offseason to prepare, I'd be more concerned about those type of plays that I mentioned than the hot shot reaction type plays, but I'm in no way saying he couldn't adequately field the position.

to prepare for charging a ball and throwing barehanded? come on! you are too smart for that. first, how many plays like that are there, and what is the % of successful plays you deem to be adequate? more important, SS have to make that play too. we have seen him make it.

the third baseman's move to cut off a chopper in the hole is MUCH easier than the plays to his left he has to make at short. that play requires NO preparation.

good grief. this is a major league ballplayer.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 10:54:46 am »

Who is this mystery poster?

He vanished like a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night, but if you search hard you may find some remnants.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 11:13:37 am »
to prepare for charging a ball and throwing barehanded? come on! you are too smart for that. first, how many plays like that are there, and what is the % of successful plays you deem to be adequate? more important, SS have to make that play too. we have seen him make it.

the third baseman's move to cut off a chopper in the hole is MUCH easier than the plays to his left he has to make at short. that play requires NO preparation.

Of course everything you're saying is correct. I only highlighted those plays to mean I see the mediot's concerns about "quickness" to be especially not an issue.  I've wanted Tejada at 3rd ever since we made the trade, hoping that Everett would have been healthy enough to play SS rather than get released.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 11:23:14 am »

This reminds me of the conversation I once had with a Cardinal fan who insisted that David Eckstein had to play SS because he didn't have the arm to play 2B.

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:17 am »

This reminds me of the conversation I once had with a Cardinal fan who insisted that David Eckstein had to play SS because he didn't have the arm to play 2B.

Wish you had gotten his email address...I would love to drop him a line to let him know he got me off the hook for having the lowest BB IQ on the planet.

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:06 am »
I still think that award belongs to the poster on McTaggart's blog who insisted last season that we sign Kenny Lofton to "pontoon" with Bourn in center.

ETA the full gem:

I'd send Towels down and bring up Q. I'd acquire Kenny Lofton to pontoon with Bourn in CF. Trade Carlos Lee for A. J. Burnett and have Erstad play LF.

...wouldn't happen, but I can dream can't I?

Posted by: R Dubya at June 2, 2008 02:12 PM
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:39:55 am by muircheartaigh »

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:19 am »
the lowest BB IQ on the planet.

Two words: Lisa Gray (and no, I'm not providing a link, and you should thank me for that courtesy...).
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 11:39:32 am »

That's some inspired stupidity right there.
Grab another Coke and let's die

Noe

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 11:40:56 am »
That's some inspired stupidity right there.

Didn't you mean this to be in response to the "Lisa Gray" post?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 11:55:24 am »

I don't believe his arm is all that good, but I'm torn.  Like the offense, like him on the team, but he's been subpar on defense at short.

I like his arm. Plus, I think quickness is more important than range at third. I agree with (and defer to) coach on how he'd be as a third baseman.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 12:00:42 pm »
He doesn't seem to have a lot of range going to his right any more, which would be perfect for 3B. It's got to be worth a try, unless they decide this is the time to move him for the right price.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 12:28:57 pm »
Didn't you mean this to be in response to the "Lisa Gray" post?

There is nothing inspiring about Lisa Gray.
Goin' for a bus ride.