Author Topic: Palin. WTF?  (Read 207778 times)

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
Palin. WTF?
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »
I don't get it.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Palin. WTF?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:40:29 pm »
It's a Hail Mary play for disaffected Hillary supporters, and it won't work.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:41:45 pm »
She likes to hunt, fish, and screw.  They could have done a lot worse.
Purity of Essence

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:35 pm »
It's a Hail Mary play for disaffected Hillary supporters, and it won't work.

It's the 3rd quarter in a 3 point game.  Absurd.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 01:44:54 pm »
Why do they assume Hillary supporters only liked her for being a female?  That bugs the crap out of me.  People assuming I vote for someone based on their gender.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

strosrays

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:49:50 pm »
Why do they assume Hillary supporters only liked her for being a female?  That bugs the crap out of me.  People assuming I vote for someone based on their gender.

As opposed to, say, skin color.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:50:11 pm »

While I certainly wouldnt believe all (or even most) supported her based on gender, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to believe that a healthy number did, and I wouldnt fault such voters for it.  I think it's a good idea to have a female on the ticket, it just seems there were several other great options that could have had more impact.

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:52:29 pm »

You overestimate the appeal of Hillary for many of her supporters.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:37 pm »
While I certainly wouldnt believe all (or even most) supported her based on gender, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable to believe that a healthy number did, and I wouldnt fault such voters for it.  I think it's a good idea to have a female on the ticket, it just seems there were several other great options that could have had more impact.

and I fault them for that.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:55:55 pm »

Bill was her appeal?  We'd get to see more of Bill?

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:56:33 pm »

As opposed to, say, skin color.

Pissing me off as much as those that voted for Hillary because she is a she.

Andyzipp

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:59:53 pm »
Bill was her appeal?  We'd get to see more of Bill?

No.  I was getting at the point that Lurch made far more elegantly.

To the same point, I have had several of my African-American co-workers tell me that the only reason they were voting for Obama was the color of his skin.  Including some that swear up and down they are conservative.

When I've questioned that line of thinking, the most honest response was, "He's Doug Williams.  When there were no black quarterbacks, you wanted Doug Williams to win that superbowl.  Once he had done it, you could go back to picking the best quarterback for your team."

Can't say I agree, but I understand, kind of.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 02:00:21 pm »

18 million people didn't vote for her just because she has a vagina.

Andyzipp

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 02:01:30 pm »
18 million people didn't vote for her just because she has a vagina.

Didn't say most, didn't say all.  Said many. And it's diningenuious to think that there weren't many who voted solely because they believe her to have had a vagina at some point in her life.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:04:13 pm »
What's disingenuous is presuming to climb into the minds of "many" of Clinton's supporters and claim that they voted for her solely because she's a woman.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:09:52 pm »
No.  I was getting at the point that Lurch made far more elegantly.

To the same point, I have had several of my African-American co-workers tell me that the only reason they were voting for Obama was the color of his skin.  Including some that swear up and down they are conservative.

When I've questioned that line of thinking, the most honest response was, "He's Doug Williams.  When there were no black quarterbacks, you wanted Doug Williams to win that superbowl.  Once he had done it, you could go back to picking the best quarterback for your team."

Can't say I agree, but I understand, kind of.

I knew what you were getting at.

And I never wanted Doug Williams to win a Superbowl.

tophfar

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:43 pm »
What's disingenuous is presuming to climb into the minds of "many" of Clinton's supporters and claim that they voted for her solely because she's a woman.

We get it, you voted for Hillary.  You do realize, hopefully, your experience also doesn't necessarily speak for every one who did either.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Andyzipp

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 02:22:26 pm »

Why the fuck are you sensitive about this?  The general citizendry, on either side of the aisle or up the fucking middle, are sheep who vote for brand names or failing that, the most familiar.  I'd wager the vast majority would tell you the economy (especially the cost of gas) is their primary concern and they're basing their vote on who they think can fix it, when in reality NONE of the candidates for President can do a damn thing about the cost of gasoline, or the economy in general other than propose a budget. 

Clinton got 18 million votes because many believed in her policies and promises.  Many thought that reelecting her would be a return to the roaring late 90's when everyone was .com rich.  And many thought it would be fantastic if a woman was the President, damn the particulars.

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 02:26:10 pm »
She likes to hunt, fish, and screw.  They could have done a lot worse.

If only he was marrying her.
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »
I don't get it.

I do.  I don't know if I agree with it.  But I get it.
Goin' for a bus ride.