Author Topic: And the 'Most Loyal Fans in Baseball' are...  (Read 2924 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
And the 'Most Loyal Fans in Baseball' are...
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
The Texas Rangers fans?  Per Forbes anyway.  LINK

Most loyal: (10) Padres; (9) Orioles; (8) Cardinals; (7) Brewers; (6) Jays; (5) Pirates; (4) Cubs; (3) Braves; (2) Red Sox; and (1) Rangers.

Least Loyal: (10) Mariners; (9) Mets; (8) Indians; (7) Astros; (6) Yankees; (5) Phillies; (4) Twins; (3) A's; (2) Tigers; and (1) Angels.

On the Astros: "If you were to look merely at raw attendance marks, the Astros fans seem to be fairly loyal sorts. After all, some of their highest-drawing seasons were in years when the team was lousy. But once you control for the spike from the team's new downtown stadium, the fans aren't quite as dedicated, deserting their team, per loss, at a slightly worse rate than the Cleveland Indians."

In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: And the 'Most Loyal Fans in Baseball' are...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:47:48 pm »
Braves fans #3?  Now you its a flawed formula.

Gizzmonic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:51:58 pm »
Rangers fans are the most loyal...to the Cowboys.
Grab another Coke and let's die

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:11:21 pm »
So if you keep showing up year after year by the millions for a shitty team with no pitching, you win an award?  Stay classy, DFW.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 02:12:49 pm »
So if you keep showing up year after year by the millions for a shitty team with no pitching, you win an award?  Stay classy, DFW.

actually, i think this is what being a fan of a team is.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 02:16:11 pm »
Rangers fans are the most loyal...to the Cowboys.

I have lived in DFW for 12 years now. I think I have met 3 'loyal' Rangers fans in all of that time.

I have probably met 3 million loyal Cowboys fans.

Going to the Rangers Ballpark at Ameriquest Field in Arlington is really just 'something to do' after the Stars stop playing and until football season.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:24:04 pm »
actually, i think this is what being a fan of a team is.

I agree with you in principle, Coach.  But anecdotal experience at least says that there aren't many Rangers fans, despite the high attendence numbers.  I guess what I was getting at is that attendence compared against W-L record is not necessarily a metric by which to measure fandom.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:59 pm »
I have lived in DFW for 12 years now. I think I have met 3 'loyal' Rangers fans in all of that time.

Going to the Rangers Ballpark at Ameriquest Field in Arlington is really just 'something to do' after the Stars stop playing and until football season.

The methodology they use also rewards consistent disloyalty.   

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 02:28:15 pm »
Braves fans #3?  Now you its a flawed formula.

That was my thought too.  Seems to me there were a number of years where the Braves couldn't even sell out playoff games.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 02:36:21 pm »
I know one guy who is a huge Rangers fan.  He shocked me with his talk about prospects and all the bad trades the Rangers have made over the years.  Besides him, every Rangers "fan" I've met in my entire life is just like you described.

Grab another Coke and let's die

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »

3 million to 3 might be overestimating the Rangers niche in this market. 

In recent years they've been relegated to the backburner as early as June; tell-tale signs of their un-importance range from not leading local sportscasts to game results being off the front of the sports page.  This year they're better and coverage reflects it, but for the better part of a decade an actual trip to the ballpark was indeed just 'something to do'.  Rangers fans haven't been loyal so much as bored.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:53:53 pm »
Whenever I want a subjective determination of an intrinsic factor, I always check out Forbes or People. 
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 10:27:24 pm »
Whenever I want a subjective determination of an intrinsic factor, I always check out Forbes or People. 

and Houston sports talk radio

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:01:53 pm »

You could sweeten a pitcher of iced tea with that irony right there.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

ValpoCory

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 11:11:50 am »
The methodology they use also rewards consistent disloyalty.   

Exactly.  Pirates fans not attending in the early 90's helps them in this list.

Also

"The Montreal Expos, Washington Nationals, Arizona Diamondbacks, Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies and Tampa Bay Rays were not considered due to a shortage of data and the statistical anomalies stemming from those being either new franchises, relocated franchises or a team that folded."

Do you think Forbes knows that the Expos and the Nationals are the same franchise, or that while one franchise has relocated, no franchise has "folded"?

Move along here.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 11:16:29 am »
Exactly.  Pirates fans not attending in the early 90's helps them in this list.

Also

"The Montreal Expos, Washington Nationals, Arizona Diamondbacks, Florida Marlins, Colorado Rockies and Tampa Bay Rays were not considered due to a shortage of data and the statistical anomalies stemming from those being either new franchises, relocated franchises or a team that folded."

Do you think Forbes knows that the Expos and the Nationals are the same franchise, or that while one franchise has relocated, no franchise has "folded"?

Move along here.

Calculating a combined measure for the Expos and Gnats involves the tricky metric to imperial conversion.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 11:24:33 am »
Calculating a combined measure for the Expos and Gnats involves the tricky metric to imperial conversion.

Nah.  0 is 0 in both measures.
Goin' for a bus ride.