Author Topic: Friday Afternoon Beer Thread  (Read 4742 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Friday Afternoon Beer Thread
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:52:44 pm »
I want what this guy was drinking.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Afternoon Beer Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:53:42 pm »
On the way to Houston I've enjoyed: Spaten, Shiner 99, and a Pacifico.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

sporadic

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »
I want what this guy was drinking.

He's not drunk...just looks like LaGenius walking from the clubhouse to his car to me

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:13:33 pm »
I just read that Negra Modelo (and all Modelo beers) is available on tap in the US for the first time, but only available in Houston and Phoenix.  The story I read said that the draft version of the Negra was vastly superior to the bottled, and I really like it in bottles.  Now I just need to track one down.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:14:20 pm »
He's not drunk...just looks like LaGenius walking from the clubhouse to his car to me

Even blitzed and from Belarus, that guy wouldn't hit his pitcher 8th.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:16:06 pm »
Earlier this week, I had Full Sail's IPA, 6%, not too bad.  I can't wait to get home to work on my second 4-pack of Dogfish 90 Minute.  I'm paying $9.99 at my San Antonio HEB.  I don't know if that's a good price or not (good enough for me), I'm just glad my HEB is expanding their beer selection.
I say smorgasbord!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »
Earlier this week, I had Full Sail's IPA, 6%, not too bad.  I can't wait to get home to work on my second 4-pack of Dogfish 90 Minute.  I'm paying $9.99 at my San Antonio HEB.  I don't know if that's a good price or not (good enough for me), I'm just glad my HEB is expanding their beer selection.

That''s an ok price for DFH 90.  I've seen it for $8.99.  I think.  Memory is a little hazy...

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:25:57 pm »
Earlier this week, I had Full Sail's IPA, 6%, not too bad.  I can't wait to get home to work on my second 4-pack of Dogfish 90 Minute.  I'm paying $9.99 at my San Antonio HEB.  I don't know if that's a good price or not (good enough for me), I'm just glad my HEB is expanding their beer selection.

I like the Full Sail IPA, too. Titan IPA (from Great Divide) was high on my list last summer, but either they've changed their recipe somewhat or my tastes have changed somewhat. Whichever, I'm not as fond of it now.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »
A couple weeks ago when I was in New Orleans I drank a lot of Abita Amber, but to my dismay I'm having problems finding it anywhere locally.  'Course, if I'd take a road trip to Houston or Austin, I'm sure a Spec's or Central Market would have it.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

JackAstro

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 05:33:45 pm »
A couple weeks ago when I was in New Orleans I drank a lot of Abita Amber, but to my dismay I'm having problems finding it anywhere locally.  'Course, if I'd take a road trip to Houston or Austin, I'm sure a Spec's or Central Market would have it.

Hell, even HEB and Randall's have it, if that's your thing. Where's locally?
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:22 pm »
I live further down the coast, about 25 miles north of Victoria, in a town of about 5500 people.  At our HEB, Land Shark beer passes as 'special' beer.   ::)

(Though I must admit, they keep in stock of Shiner 99 & Black)

ybbodeus

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 07:12:40 pm »
Drink up, huh?  Forward to 2:45 for an outstanding bar scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-HvIXkLkws
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:02:47 pm »
I'm going to NYC for among other things, the search for the difficult to find Schenkerla Rauchbier.  And if I find any, I'm going to have to figure out how to smuggle them out on the plane.

I'm staying in midtown.  Anybody got any beer recommendations for me other than Devil Hop and d.b.a.?
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »
I like the Full Sail IPA, too.

They have a test/small batch brewery about 200 yards from my front door...  see some pretty entertaining berws here and again.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 09:57:55 pm »
They have a test/small batch brewery about 200 yards from my front door...  see some pretty entertaining berws here and again.

That sounds entertaining! What other kinds of brews do they try?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »
I'm going to NYC for among other things, the search for the difficult to find Schenkerla Rauchbier.  And if I find any, I'm going to have to figure out how to smuggle them out on the plane.

I'm staying in midtown.  Anybody got any beer recommendations for me other than Devil Hop and d.b.a.?
You could save yourself a lot of time by getting a few bums to grind their cigar butts out ina Budweiser.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 08:34:26 am »
Lately I've been buying, and enjoying tremendously, Green Flash Brewing Co's, Barleywine Style Ale (10%).  They're out of San Diego, which is home to several outstanding micro breweries that have sprung up over past 10-20 years.

Here's what they say: Our American-style Barleywine undergoes a three hour boil to intensify the caramel malts and the enormous Pacific Northwest hop charge. The result is a rich, estery brew with toffee notes and citrus hop flavors layered throughout. Enjoy this brew fresh today or lay it down for aging to see how the flavors of each vintage evolve.

Here's what I say: dat some good shit, maign!
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:59 am »
You could save yourself a lot of time by getting a few bums to grind their cigar butts out ina Budweiser.

Thanks.  Thanks a lot.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 09:39:37 am »
Lately I've been buying, and enjoying tremendously, Green Flash Brewing Co's, Barleywine Style Ale (10%).  They're out of San Diego, which is home to several outstanding micro breweries that have sprung up over past 10-20 years.

Here's what they say: Our American-style Barleywine undergoes a three hour boil to intensify the caramel malts and the enormous Pacific Northwest hop charge. The result is a rich, estery brew with toffee notes and citrus hop flavors layered throughout. Enjoy this brew fresh today or lay it down for aging to see how the flavors of each vintage evolve.

Here's what I say: dat some good shit, maign!

Most of the barleywines I've had have been pretty sweet, bordering on too sweet.  Does the boiling of the malt in this one mitigate that any?

Noe

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 09:41:32 am »

Best red ale I've ever had was in New Orleans. "Red Stallion" from a local micro-brewery near Jackson Square.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 09:55:04 am »
Most of the barleywines I've had have been pretty sweet, bordering on too sweet.  Does the boiling of the malt in this one mitigate that any?

I'm not sure about the process. It doesn't seem all that sweet to me but to you it may.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 10:01:38 am »
Best red ale I've ever had was in New Orleans. "Red Stallion" from a local micro-brewery near Jackson Square.

I think that's at the Crescent City Brewhouse.

Noe

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 10:18:12 am »
I think that's at the Crescent City Brewhouse.

That's IT! If they ever decide to bottle Red Stallion (maybe they do, don't know), it would be in my top five for sure.

Noe

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:55 am »
On the way to Houston I've enjoyed: Spaten, Shiner 99, and a Pacifico.

Went drinking with the Irish last night. I suggested The Ginger Man, to which I was surprised when they suggested the Cedar Door instead (someone else told them it was better... I disagree).  Had Shiner Bock all night while these guys ran the gamut of beer tasting.  The theme of the night was how off Guiness taste when it is not consumed in Dublin (freaking whiners!).  We started at 7 and by 10:30 I had to pull the rip cord because if I didn't I'd be slumped over somewhere near 2nd street right now or sitting at the city drunk tank holding cell dancing with a guy named Tiny until my wife could come bail me out.

Damn those Irish can drink and the one lead guy, Kevin "Fuckin'" McDermott shocked me that he went with Miller High Life ("it's the fucking champagne of beers ya know!") all night long.  Two bottles at a time. I'm glad I bailed on them when I did though, any more time with McDermott and he would have convinced me to move to Ireland and work for him.  "You're one fuckin' funny guy... fuckin' old funny guy... with great hair... blast you!".  McDermott is bald, younger than me but looks like he could be my uncle.  He favorite thing to keep saying to me over and over and over again was "Ther's only two things that comes out of Texas... steers and queers... I don't see any horns on you boy!".  So when I left he asked me again "Will you be coming to Ireland to visit me now my boy?".  I replied "Yeah, I can imagine it now, I'll step off the plane, head to customs and the first question will be "Where are you from". "Texas"... "Well now, there is only two things that come out of Texas..." at which point I will get back on the plane and come back home".  He and the others laughed as I took my leave and my dignity with me.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 10:33:15 am by Noe in Austin »

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 12:33:23 pm »
Does anyone know specifically why Shiner isn't brewing Kolsch this summer?  I can't find it anywhere and wikipedia (yeah, I know) says they're not making it in 2008.  It's not the greatest, but on a day like today after I just finished mowing the yard, it'd be a nice beer to sip on.

Andyzipp

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:55 pm »
Another stupid question...is the Shiner Leicht supposed to be a rebranding of Shiner Light?

Based on the packaging, I'd say yes, but they have different skus and are being sold side by side, so I dunno.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »
Another stupid question...is the Shiner Leicht supposed to be a rebranding of Shiner Light?

Based on the packaging, I'd say yes, but they have different skus and are being sold side by side, so I dunno.

Spezial summer brew
I say smorgasbord!

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 08:58:37 am »
Picked up a four-pack of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock....not exactly summer drinking but good stuff none the less.

According to their website.
"A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins
in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope
of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with
a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant
with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.”

www.RateBeer.com says yummy, also.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2008, 09:08:45 am »
Picked up a four-pack of Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock....not exactly summer drinking but good stuff none the less.

According to their website.
"A beer that has a dominant malty taste. This beer’s origins
in a monk’s recipe are reflected in its heartiness. The Pope
of Beers, Conrad Seidl, describes it as: “Almost black with
a very slight red tone, a sensational, festive foam and truly extraordinary fragrance that at first summons up visions of greaves lard. The first taste is of mild fullness with an accompanying coffee tone, which becomes more dominant
with the aftertaste. There is very little of the sweetness that is frequently to be tasted with doppelbock beer.”

www.RateBeer.com says yummy, also.

You know, beer is now attracting as many pretentious blowhards as wine or cigars.  I read an article the other day about what Cuban cigar men think about the US cigar industry, and one distinguished old timer said basically, "well, we don't sit around rating cigars.  You should spend less time defining the cigar as 'peppery, with sublte notes of chestnuts and leather that linger on the tongue with a mild coffee aftertaste' and more time enjoying your smoke."
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 09:12:49 am »
I love Celebtrator, HH's disdain notwithstanding.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 09:27:21 am »
I love Celebtrator, HH's disdain notwithstanding.

I have no disdain for Celebrator.  I'm simply commenting that I think some people take beer drinking way too seriously.  Just enjoy the beer.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2008, 11:00:21 am »
Yes sir.

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
True HH.  Perhaps the same could be said of our Astros and the game of baseball.  One can become consumed with standings, transactions, and player evaluations when the thing to be enjoyed is "the game". 

I posted the description because I wasn't sure how well known it was and wanted to describe the flavor.  I posted the ratebeer link because I find it useful in selecting from the often overwhelming number of choices today.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2008, 01:17:32 pm »
I think Celebrator is well known and well thought of.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
That sounds entertaining! What other kinds of brews do they try?

The main brewery is in Hood River, about an hour drive from here.  However, they have a small batch brewery at Harborside (Riverplace area) here in downtown Portland.  The latest small batch draft offering is a Brewer's Share.  Unfortunately, much of this is lost on me as I am not a beer aficionado by any stretch...
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2008, 05:39:31 pm »
I just had a couple Brooklyn Lagers here in Brooklyn. Malty and very nice indeed.

And I like Optimator too, but Salvator is really fine.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 06:11:17 pm »
I just had a couple Brooklyn Lagers here in Brooklyn. Malty and very nice indeed.

And I like Optimator too, but Salvator is really fine.

The IPA is great, but don't drink more than a couple unless you really like to be deerunk.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja