Author Topic: Polin Trinidad  (Read 1435 times)

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
Polin Trinidad
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »
Anyone seen him pitch?  I couldn't find much on him, other than he is left-handed and has been pretty successful.  I read a quote from Pankovitz after a good game to the effect of "tremendous command of fastball without great velocity, breaking stuff nothing to write home about, but he's a helluva pitcher."  Kind of like, he's damn good, but he won't wow anybody. 

I would appreciate any first hand observations, mainly related to the progress of his secondary pitches, or a guess as to why he is so effective.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Polin Trinidad
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:35:46 am »
Anyone seen him pitch?  I couldn't find much on him, other than he is left-handed and has been pretty successful.  I read a quote from Pankovitz after a good game to the effect of "tremendous command of fastball without great velocity, breaking stuff nothing to write home about, but he's a helluva pitcher."  Kind of like, he's damn good, but he won't wow anybody. 

I would appreciate any first hand observations, mainly related to the progress of his secondary pitches, or a guess as to why he is so effective.

I haven't seen him but it seems that command is alot of his package. He seems to break a lot of bats getting in on the hitters hands. He seems to have a good idea of how to pitch. I don't know how far that will take him. Has he pitched at CC yet?

J.D. of Salem

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Polin Trinidad
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 02:30:16 pm »
Trinidad is like several other of the prospect pitchers, good control but you won't see him throwing 93 mph. Im not a scout, so I don't know what pitches he throws, but I watched him in Salem earlier this season and he usually kept the pitches low, and kept the batters off balance, he didn't have a lot of strike outs, but he also stayed out of trouble for the most part. When he gave up  runs it wasn't because the other team was making solid contact and hitting balls out, it was when they would put together several singles.

One thing I will note is that the Carolina League only has 8 teams so usually after a team has seen a pitcher 3 or 4 times, it is harder for the pitcher to have success. Trinidad did well while he was here, but Houston called him up quickly, so he didn't have to face some of the better hitting teams very much.