Author Topic: Spikes N Stars, The Radio Show - Program #5, May 31st, 2008  (Read 9050 times)

Andyzipp

SpikesnStars will be back on the air Saturday, May 31st at 10:00 am.

Broadcaster: 1560 The Game, click the "Listen Live" icon during the show segment
Host: David Nuno (Noon-yo)
Co-Host: Rodney Waites
SnS Host: Andyzipp
Podcast Page: Gametime with David Nuno
Podcast Archives: Gametime Show archives, including SnS shows
Show Webcam: Live webcam streaming of the show

Call In Number: 713-439-1560

Please list the topics you'd like to discuss here in this thread.

I will be monitoring it during the show, so call in if you can, but please post topics and comments now and during the show. We encourage you to call and give it a try...

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: Spikes N Stars, The Radio Show - Program #5, May 31st, 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:50:46 pm »
trading for a pitcher--who?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
Top Five Worst ML umpires.  Specific examples could be Darling (cite last night's game) or the disturbing meltdowns by Hernandez and Bucknor.

Does the Houston front office discuss egregious umpiring with Bob Watson or others when they are not relentlessly pursuing idiotic ideas hatched by Selig?  Do they send tapes, etc.?

Catching situation: are the Astros comfortable riding it out with Towles this season or is a trade in the offing?  If so, who in the wide, wide world of sports would be an upgrade?

Cooper should maybe think about shutting up more often.

Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:05:05 pm »
Oswalt had a mediocre outing against the Phillies and a good one against the Cardinals.  Is he just in need of getting back from his hip thingy and time will show he's still the same ACE pitcher he's been?  Or are we going to see inconsistency from him for the rest of the season?

Shawn Chacon: making a believer out of the nay-sayers?

Is Kent Tekulve too busy scouting for the Pirates that Ed Wade can't sign him to a minor league, "can't hurt, let's give him a try" contract?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:07:09 pm by Noe in Austin »

Noe

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:20:15 pm »
Carlos Lee's favorite meal: Ribeyes.

Noe

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:23:32 pm »
Andy, do you give out grades for the Astros?  If you did, what grade would you give the Astros at the Memorial Day mark of the season?

Noe

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »
Lastly, Andy... can you bust a call out to Jacksonian to join you for a segment to talk "2008 MLB Draft" with the listening audience?

Andyzipp

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:30:08 pm »
Lastly, Andy... can you bust a call out to Jacksonian to join you for a segment to talk "2008 MLB Draft" with the listening audience?

He or Duman WOULD BE AN AWESOME, AWESOME addition, and would be welcome to call (HINT...MFING HINT)

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »
He or Duman WOULD BE AN AWESOME, AWESOME addition, and would be welcome to call (HINT...MFING HINT)

I had intended to do that, but you seem a bit on the fence about it.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Noe

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:48:56 pm »
I had intended to do that, but you seem a bit on the fence about it.

Sarc meter just went to level 4!

I think you could a much better job of explaining the current goings-on in the draft than any one of us.  I think the "Kelly to the Reds" rumor is gaining momentum and if it's true and the Nats and WhiteSox are going to go with position player picks, the Astros pick at number 10 just got very interesting.

It's all up to what the Reds will do at this point.  But what is plan A going in?  What if the "Kelly to Reds" rumor is true, what does that mean to the Astros?  Explain signability to us, is it codespeak that Drayton McLane is cheap?

Where is Duman any way, he should give a call to the show to explain where some folks are in their development in the minors:

1. Tommy Manzella
2. Brad James
3. Felipe Paulino (any word?)
4. Sergio Perez
5. Jordan Parraz
6. Chris Johnson
and others?

Have you guys heard from scouts how these guy project out given how they're performing right now?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:51:32 pm by Noe in Austin »

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:00:53 pm »

I think you could a much better job of explaining the current goings-on in the draft than any one of us.  I think the "Kelly to the Reds" rumor is gaining momentum and if it's true and the Nats and WhiteSox are going to go with position player picks, the Astros pick at number 10 just got very interesting.

It's all up to what the Reds will do at this point.  But what is plan A going in?  What if the "Kelly to Reds" rumor is true, what does that mean to the Astros?  Explain signability to us, is it codespeak that Drayton McLane is cheap?

Where is Duman any way, he should give a call to the show to explain where some folks are in their development in the minors:

1. Tommy Manzella
2. Brad James
3. Felipe Paulino (any word?)
4. Sergio Perez
5. Jordan Parraz
6. Chris Johnson
and others?

Have you guys heard from scouts how these guy project out given how they're performing right now?

Hey Andy!  Have Nuno get Noe's post up when I call to go through this.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Andyzipp

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 03:03:26 pm »
Hey Andy!  Have Nuno get Noe's post up when I call to go through this.

Alrighty.

Noe

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:04:23 pm »
Another follow-up: Since the time the Astros picked Lance Berkman #16, there hasn't been another high draft pick used on a position player other than Chris Burke.  Will they continue this trend of selecting pitchers so high, or is this draft one that will allow them to consider a quality position player at #10?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 03:18:14 pm »

1. Tommy Manzella - bat keeps improving problem - I would expect to see him at AAA after All Star Break - May be traded because of no room in the Houston Infield
2. Brad James - Best pitcher in CC - dramatic improvement over last seasons work at CC.  Will get a taste of AAA before year is out.
3. Felipe Paulino (any word?) - No word
4. Sergio Perez - Most polished of the group but keeps having injury issues.  Only had 4 starts this year, 3 were good.
5. Jordan Parraz - Getting on base but not been hitting for average until recently.  Has hit .390 in last 10 games! Is 9 of his last 14.
6. Chris Johnson - Bat is solid, glove not so much.  Has made 18 errors so far this year.  Still a very promising prospect.
and others?

Duman will be watching his son play baseball Sat. Morning. 

Plus Jacksonian is your man for upper levels and pre Draft discussion.  I have added my brief comments above.

CC Hooks fans - I would love a first hand report on Polin Trinidad when he makes his first start tonight. 
Always ready to go to a game.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »
Cooper should maybe think about shutting up more often.

Along the same lines; is Cooper over-thinking/managing?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 10:52:16 am »
How was that?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Andyzipp

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 11:00:36 am »
Excellent.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 09:22:19 pm »
Still no podcast up?

They've usually been up same day as the the broadcasts, but checked yesterday and today for 'em and haven't seen any either. 
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
Um, did I miss something?  I no see Nuno, only Raheel.  I wonder if 1560 was having ferret problems?  Zipp, you know anything about this? 
I say smorgasbord!

Noe

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:58:56 am »
Um, did I miss something?  I no see Nuno, only Raheel.  I wonder if 1560 was having ferret problems?  Zipp, you know anything about this? 

Question: "8 a.m. to 12 p.m"... is this considered "afternoon"?

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 11:09:24 am »
Question: "8 a.m. to 12 p.m"... is this considered "afternoon"?

Dunno, but the only spot I see Nuno mentioned is the archives.
I say smorgasbord!

Noe

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:54 am »
Dunno, but the only spot I see Nuno mentioned is the archives.

I guess they're making a transition for Gametime.  David Nuno and missus are having a baby soon, so perhaps this is all about giving him the time to be with her more often. 

ETA: The Richard Justice show just announced that David Nuno has moved to that show as a co-host... permanently.  Great news for him, nice!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:16:41 am by Noe in Austin »

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 11:15:23 am »
I called 1560 and apparently Nuno is having twins and is moving to a weekday slot.  He'll be with Pinwheel from 11-12 and Ken Hoffman from 12-2.  I asked about putting up Saturday's podcast and they said they'd get some interns right on it.
I say smorgasbord!

Andyzipp

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 12:18:23 pm »

As announced this weekend, Nuno has moved to the Weekday slot with both Justice and Hoffman.  I think it has something to do with the impending birth of his twins.

Raheel has been tapped to replace Nuno on Gametime.  I think it's official week after next.

Noe

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 12:20:17 pm »
As announced this weekend, Nuno has moved to the Weekday slot with both Justice and Hoffman.  I think it has something to do with the impending birth of his twins.

Raheel has been tapped to replace Nuno on Gametime.  I think it's official week after next.

They announced that this Saturday, they're doing a live remote from "The Island" in Lake Conroe.  Nuno, Rahil and Rodney.  You going out there or are you calling in?

Andyzipp

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »
They announced that this Saturday, they're doing a live remote from "The Island" in Lake Conroe.  Nuno, Rahil and Rodney.  You going out there or are you calling in?

Calling in.  There's no way in hell I'm driving to Conroe, regardless of the 4 dollar gas.

Noe

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 12:27:26 pm »
Calling in.  There's no way in hell I'm driving to Conroe, regardless of the 4 dollar gas.

Good luck, remotes are extremely tough to call in to talk.

Andyzipp

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 12:30:12 pm »
Good luck, remotes are extremely tough to call in to talk.

We all acknowledged that the segments might be shorter than 1 hour this weekend.

Noe

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
We all acknowledged that the segments might be shorter than 1 hour this weekend.

Agreed.  You did a great job the last few weeks, but 1 hour is a long segment of time for anyone wanting to call in to a remote.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 10:53:49 am »
I called 1560 and apparently Nuno is having twins and is moving to a weekday slot.  He'll be with Pinwheel from 11-12 and Ken Hoffman from 12-2.  I asked about putting up Saturday's podcast and they said they'd get some interns right on it.

Looks like they were just blowing you off.
Goin' for a bus ride.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 10:55:09 am »
Looks like they were just blowing you off.

You lucky bastard.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Noe

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 10:57:32 am »
You lucky bastard.

Where does one stand in line for that!

(BTW - folks here should not think that it's about SnS... they're not putting up anything from this weekend and that includes much more than SnS.  They're in transition and that happens, so cut them some slack just like we do Limey and his semi-decade column entries).