Author Topic: Spikes n Stars, The Radio Show - Program #2, May 10, 2008  (Read 17480 times)

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Thanks for coming clean about Charlie Kerfeld, Zipp
I say smorgasbord!

pravata

Re: Spikes n Stars, The Radio Show - Program #2, May 10, 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:29:47 am »
yah cut me off is what happened, which is how you do it.  Start talking then hang up.  OK that's how it goes

pravata

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:15 am »
Bullshit boys.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:38:44 am »
oops

pravata

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:42:43 am »
oops

Yeah, oops.  Is there a time limit on calls?  And, if you want to engage me in conversation, dont hang up on me.  And after you hang up, dont continue to talk about me and not give me a chance to respond. 

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:46:36 am »
Ahhh, talk radio
I say smorgasbord!

pravata

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 10:50:13 am »
yeah, we're done.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 10:51:40 am »
Can you talk more about how the Astros rule and how other teams suck?
I say smorgasbord!

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:07 am »
damn

pravata

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:48 am »

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:54:11 am »
you are right!  you are good in my book!  i like passion...

pravata

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:55:37 am »
you are right!  you are good in my book!  i like passion...

The issue is hanging up on me.  "That's all we have time for, lets take another call, thanks for taking the time, bye" Fine, but you hung up.  Technical problems?

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:11:18 am »
Geez, I hope next week is not The Bourn Conspiracy part deux.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 11:17:01 am »
That Big Puma Song they have on their website really SUCKS.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Noe

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:44:05 am »
Bullshit boys.

?

Was at work this morning and then had to hustle out to my son's LL game to coach.  Some kinks to iron out?

pravata

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 11:44:43 am »
Geez, I hope next week is not The Bourn Conspiracy part deux.

If it is it wont be me.  Somebody go post in the TZ and say "something must be done"!  Just to see.

pravata

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
?

Was at work this morning and then had to hustle out to my son's LL game to coach.  Some kinks to iron out?

Yeah, they have a problem with their equipment.  Accidently hanging up on callers.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 11:47:27 am »
Have they put up the podcast yet?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Noe

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 11:47:35 am »
Yeah, they have a problem with their equipment.  Accidently hanging up on callers.

Oops.  Sorry that happened to you prav... don't know the technical reasons but that can suck if you're trying to participate.

pravata

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 11:51:58 am »
Oops.  Sorry that happened to you prav... don't know the technical reasons but that can suck if you're trying to participate.

No problem, wont happen again.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »
yep.  we hung up on him. 

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 12:16:27 pm »
And then went on and on about it.
I say smorgasbord!

Noe

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
yep.  we hung up on him. 

Ouch!  Usually it takes a person three or four times of dealing with pravata before they know to hang up on him!  (Prav... just joking with you... I love you man!  NTTAWWT!)

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 12:18:02 pm »
and we apologized.  but i had to respond.

pravata

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 12:42:17 pm »
and we apologized.  but i had to respond.

And by responding, you mean talking about me when I was no longer on the line and could not directly respond.  The fundamental disagreement we have is that either you or the other guy said "something must be done".  It was the "something" and the "must" that I was curious about.  Hanging up on me is one way to deal with the question.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 12:45:13 pm »
id like to let it go. i apologized.  but i will listen to the take again.  and see how it could be handled differently.  i was also inundated my emails on how rude you came across.  but again, its a conversation, lets agree to disagree and move on.  you are welcomed to call the show again under better working conditions and open arms.  if you decide not to, we understand as well. my apologies again.  and thank you to zipp for kicking butt again.   very funny and very good takes.

Noe

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 12:46:14 pm »
And by responding, you mean talking about me when I was no longer on the line and could not directly respond.  The fundamental disagreement we have is that either you or the other guy said "something must be done".  It was the "something" and the "must" that I was curious about.  Hanging up on me is one way to deal with the question.

I'm curious, this "something must be done", what is the context?  Michael Bourn?  JR Towles?  Chris Sampson? Bad food in the pressbox at Minute Maid?

pravata

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »
id like to let it go. i apologized.  but i will listen to the take again.  and see how it could be handled differently.  i was also inundated my emails on how rude you came across.  but again, its a conversation, lets agree to disagree and move on.  you are welcomed to call the show again under better working conditions and open arms.  if you decide not to, we understand as well. my apologies again.  and thank you to zipp for kicking butt again.   very funny and very good takes.

I really am not interested in whether someone who hangs up on me thinks I'm rude.  My purpose is to learn something about the Astros, not about you.  Either you have information about the Astros or you dont.   

Noe

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 12:50:01 pm »
I really am not interested in whether someone who hangs up on me thinks I'm rude.  My purpose is to learn something about the Astros, not about you.  Either you have information about the Astros or you dont.   

I wonder: who e-mailed?

pravata

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 12:50:29 pm »
I'm curious, this "something must be done", what is the context?  Michael Bourn?  JR Towles?  Chris Sampson? Bad food in the pressbox at Minute Maid?

OBP at the top the lineup.  Solutions, proferred by the radio team was, move Pence up, Kenny Lofton, and let Bourn hit first the rest of the season.  I was also told that the radio team has a connection with Cooper, but was given no information about what Cooper's solution would be.  Other than keeping Matsui and Bourn at the top of the order.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2008, 12:51:33 pm »
I think I said,
"if Bourn continues to bat under .200, something must be done."  I will listen to the audio, but it was under the same thought, that 2008 is his in center but maybe a switch in the lineup, if it continued.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2008, 12:53:14 pm »
Radio team NEVER said we would consider Kenny Lofton.  EVER.  We said we shouldn't.  All we tried to explain, as we did was you can't have lead off batting under .200.  That was it.

pravata

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 12:54:09 pm »
Radio team NEVER said we would consider Kenny Lofton.  EVER.  We said we shouldn't.  All we tried to explain, as we did was you can't have lead off batting under .200.  That was it.

Wouldnt know, because that's the point when you hung up on me.

pravata

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 12:54:55 pm »

Who cant?  Later Zipp explained to you why they may have no choice.

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:13 pm »
nope that was much after.  dude, can you lay off on it.  you got hung on.  move on.  we apologized. 

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2008, 12:57:56 pm »
well, there may be possible mixes.  believe it or not.  not today, but if it continues, you could see them tinker with positioning.  just my thoughts.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2008, 12:58:19 pm »
I see 2 of the 3 podcasts are up now.  Thanks!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Noe

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2008, 12:58:47 pm »
OBP at the top the lineup.  Solutions, proferred by the radio team was, move Pence up, Kenny Lofton, and let Bourn hit first the rest of the season.  I was also told that the radio team has a connection with Cooper, but was given no information about what Cooper's solution would be.  Other than keeping Matsui and Bourn at the top of the order.

OBP is an issue at the top of the lineup, but scoring runs right now isn't.  IOW - they can afford to let Bourn and Matsui work out the kinks.  Just like they can afford to let Towles work out his.  Last year, when Chris Burke was doing badly and playing horrid CF, the "something must be done" was heard loud and clear.  Most of it came from fans and since McLane (and Gardner) listen to fans... Pence was brought up and that was the end of Burke as a CF and a top of the order hitter.  In fact, he was sent to AAA.

Is this the same situation with Bourn?  I don't think so.

1. Pence is not a lead off hitter *IF* you're concerned with OBP on the whole.  You may get better hitting which translate into better OBP in that way, you will also get better power... but you'll get even *more* strikeouts than what you're getting from Bourn right now.  IOW - Pence is a free swinger, a Chucky Carr School of Hitting disciple.  If you move Pence up, you take away a very good situation for him right now to be comfortable hitting lower in the lineup, drive in runs and to be allowed to be a hacker.

2. Kenny Lofton (and Jim Edmonds for that matter) are not in any way of any interest to the Houston Astros.  Heard it from a source who knows, ain't gonna happen.

3. Let Bourn hit for the rest of the season is not a solution *IF* they aren't trying to correct some of his approach at the plate.  He needs solid instruction on what is expected, so Cooper can't be duplicit on what he wants from the young man.  If Cooper wants him to swing hard and have power at the top of the lineup and not care about OBP, then Bourn is doing the job Cooper wants him to do and we all need to deal with it.

Noe

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 01:04:56 pm »
well, there may be possible mixes.  believe it or not.  not today, but if it continues, you could see them tinker with positioning.  just my thoughts.

I think Erstad becomes a candidate for sure. Even as much as a veteran as he is, he still has something in the tank to play.  But Bourn can't be allowed to sit to work out his problems, he has to play, IMHO of course. 

Having said that, in 2005, Willy Taveras was benched for a month (and ironically, Chris Burke took over in CF).  When he sat on the bench, Willy worked hard to get back into the lineup, working on his defense every day (the reason he was benced).  Taveras also became a much better leadoff hitter.

Would the same thing help Bourn?  It's got to be in the back of the mind of the Astros, Erstad is a good enough player to give you a month of good service to allow Bourn to either go to AAA and work on some things or learn from the bench... like he did last year in Philly.  But how close are they to making this sort of decision?  I think as long as this team is scoring runs, they're going to ride Bourn until he absolutely falls flat on his face.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:08:53 pm by Noe in Austin »

pravata

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:46 pm »
nope that was much after.  dude, can you lay off on it.  you got hung on.  move on.  we apologized. 

Just making sure that people understand what they're in for.  See this is kind of like when you kept going on and on on the radio about me when I wasnt on the line.  Did you move on?

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »
looking forward to people listening.

Noe

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 02:01:49 pm »
looking forward to people listening.

Just listened to the pravata segment, and I can't for the life of me understand the problem other than the unfortunate hang up.  I think you guys had a good old fashion give and take discussion and I found you had more in common than what you had differences of opinion on.  It's like listening to a round table discussion as it were and not everyone is going to agree, but it makes for fun listening.

People who e-mailed or blogged you should back off on pravata though, he's not rude, he's just passionate about his opinion.  You either take him as is or don't offer to talk to him.  Heck, he's nowhere near the Howard in Memorial type of caller who is contrarian and negative just to be contrarian and negative.  Pravata was making his point.  If you let e-mailers convince you what pravata or anyone else is saying is rude and ascribing malice to them, that is not right.  Some e-mailers have a reason to ascribe things to pravata or anyone else here in SnS as being "bad" or "wrong, don't take that from him!".  Just saying.

Prav - there is a lot of what they were saying to you in tongue and cheek/sarcasm ("I'm piped in to Cooper") because it's not about being entirely serious about this, just like we do here.  We don't take ourselves seriously enough in here, so you know it's about rolling with the punches my maign.  Nuno said "He (pravata) did have a lot of great points!".  Also, he did say "Bloggers are asking "why not Kenny Lofton!" to which Nuno emphatically said "No way".  You even responded to that and said "that is the kind of suggestions you get when you say "something has to be done!".  So Nuno is right, the talk show host didn't suggest in any way Kenny Lofton, just the opposite they agree it is a horrible idea and more often than not I heard Rodney say that the best course of action is Michael Bourn "needs to get better" as the solution to "something has to be done".  Meaning the answer we all think works best, because no other answer really fits, Bourn needs to get better before they (the Astros) intervene.  I think Bourn has as much stake in what "needs to be done" as anyone, so that is the perfect answer provided by Rodney of course and one you agree with from what I could hear.  Nuno went to the "suppose he's not hitting so well in, say 30 days..." to see if maybe a conversation about a lineup change could be had but somehow it got testy and instead of having a continued good give and take, it went south.

Could they move Bourn to 8th and move anyone else in there?  I think that will be hard to understand because it really takes Pence out of a position he is well suited for right now (as a hacker).  But like Zipp, I believe that if Bourn reaches the 300 ABs and is struggling, Erstad or Cruz become options at the top, with either Matsui moving to leadoff and Erstad or Cruz hitting in the two hole.  Best situation?  No, that is a problem they would just as soon not have, so Michael's got to take that away from them.

Overall, nice job Zipper!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:47:34 pm by Noe in Austin »

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 02:05:44 pm »
Nice job Zipp.  Question.  Why do people keep saying that Matsui's not getting on base?  His OBP is .348.  Not sure why Matsui gets lumped in with Bourn with the top of the lineup problem(s).

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 02:09:08 pm »
Noe,

He did have some great points, and I did give him some props on the actuality of the subject.  By the way, I listened to the segment, and I intiially never said "something needs to be done."  What i said was, eventually it would need to be addressed.  But we move on.  Zipp is great.

pravata

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 02:10:55 pm »
... he's not rude, he's just passionate about his opinion.  ....Overall, nice job Zipper!

It's my manner.  If I was not "passionate" or at least could work up the appearance of passion while on a radio show, why would I call in?  I can stand in the shower and listen to my own voice.  It was my understanding, when I was first contacted about the possibility of us doing the show, that it was our opinions that would bring the unique perspective of this website to the radio segment.  Or did I misunderstand.  In any case Zipp is a freakin natural. 

dnuno

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 02:12:10 pm »
By the way, Noe, my decision was not based on emailers.  I had enough.  In my opinion he came across a bit rude, and the rest of the group agreed.  But regardless, I should not have hung up, but we move on, atleast I hope.

Noe

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 02:26:16 pm »
It's my manner.  If I was not "passionate" or at least could work up the appearance of passion while on a radio show, why would I call in?  I can stand in the shower and listen to my own voice.  It was my understanding, when I was first contacted about the possibility of us doing the show, that it was our opinions that would bring the unique perspective of this website to the radio segment.  Or did I misunderstand.  In any case Zipp is a freakin natural. 

I agree on Zipp, he's scary good and overall I like this Show with Nuno and Rodney.  I know it leans a bit much on the entertainment value (J-LO is overrated, but if mi familia heard me say that out loud, they'd shoot me... how can you call Selena overrated?  Sometimes, you just have to let the family think whatever they want... but I digress), but entirely understood if you understand the demographic they are reaching.  It's like saying I don't like the train at the MMPUS... who cares what I think, I'm not the target audience for said train, so you roll with it and at times, I freaking love that train... because it means another Astro hit a homerun and an angel got his wings.

But pravata, dude... you're awesome on the show and if people can't take you being passionate, then screw them... that's on them at that point.  Next time I'm in town, I owe you a beer!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 02:49:52 pm by Noe in Austin »

Noe

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »
Nice job Zipp.  Question.  Why do people keep saying that Matsui's not getting on base?  His OBP is .348.  Not sure why Matsui gets lumped in with Bourn with the top of the lineup problem(s).

Well, it's really more about Bourn at this point.  But Matsui as a #2 can't be your "second leadoff" man, that won't be right and it will detract from his actual game.  He's a contact hitter, putting the ball in play, going the other way with the pitch, turning on an inside pitch, et. al.  That sort of game with a good leadoff guy in front of him becomes a great asset.

Last night, an example of what happened when you need Matsui to be a second leadoff man works but puts into play Tejada being a quasi-#2.  Matsui got on base via the walk in the 8th, nobody out.  Then he took second base with Tejada giving himself up to hit behind him.  Best use of Tejada's bat?  No, that is what you want Matsui doing for Bourn, not Tejada for Matsui.  It turned out okay because Senor En Fuego Berkman drove in Matsui and all is well that ends well.

But in the future, having Matsui working his magic contact bat means Bourn needs to get on.  Scary how good this offense would be if that were in place now.

Noe

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 02:37:37 pm »
By the way, Noe, my decision was not based on emailers.  I had enough.  In my opinion he came across a bit rude, and the rest of the group agreed.  But regardless, I should not have hung up, but we move on, atleast I hope.

It's hard for us to get used to radio give and take, we're more use to this site where thick skin and the ability to say what you have to say and then get whatever contrary opinion comes your way is the norm.  We're in transition here to participate on the show.  We'll find our voice soon enough, but pravata is right... we are what we are in terms of representing the site as we represent ourselves via the interwebs.  Zipp makes it easier though and in time I guess we'll know how to work this thing... "Is this mic on?  Testing, one - two - three... testing!  Can you hear me in the back?!?!"

Andyzipp

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 04:54:32 pm »
Well, it's really more about Bourn at this point.  But Matsui as a #2 can't be your "second leadoff" man, that won't be right and it will detract from his actual game.  He's a contact hitter, putting the ball in play, going the other way with the pitch, turning on an inside pitch, et. al.  That sort of game with a good leadoff guy in front of him becomes a great asset.

Last night, an example of what happened when you need Matsui to be a second leadoff man works but puts into play Tejada being a quasi-#2.  Matsui got on base via the walk in the 8th, nobody out.  Then he took second base with Tejada giving himself up to hit behind him.  Best use of Tejada's bat?  No, that is what you want Matsui doing for Bourn, not Tejada for Matsui.  It turned out okay because Senor En Fuego Berkman drove in Matsui and all is well that ends well.

But in the future, having Matsui working his magic contact bat means Bourn needs to get on.  Scary how good this offense would be if that were in place now.

I could not have spelled this out better myself.

strosrays

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2008, 05:23:50 pm »
It's hard for us to get used to radio give and take, we're more use to this site where thick skin and the ability to say what you have to say and then get whatever contrary opinion comes your way is the norm.  We're in transition here to participate on the show.  We'll find our voice soon enough, but pravata is right... we are what we are in terms of representing the site as we represent ourselves via the interwebs.  Zipp makes it easier though and in time I guess we'll know how to work this thing... "Is this mic on?  Testing, one - two - three... testing!  Can you hear me in the back?!?!"

Well, your favorite parrot-keeper supposedly originated the Lofton idea, so maybe Nuno got it from him.  And apparently Justice gets his story ideas from the AD forum, which explains a lot.

Greg M

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2008, 05:29:05 pm »
I completely agree with you Noe.  No doubt Matsui will be even more valuable when Bourn gets going.  I just don't get why people keep saying, if only Bourn and Matsui would get on base, this offense would be unstoppable.  This team turned it around for a number of reasons, one being Matsui coming off the DL.  Matsui's been a big part of winning because he does the little things and has been getting on base.   Really looking forward to watching him show off his skills a little more.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2008, 05:45:31 pm »
expecting sports talk radio to be a positive experience is like waiting for a fairy godmother to bring you money. ain't going to happen.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

pravata

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2008, 07:00:14 pm »
expecting sports talk radio to be a positive experience is like waiting for a fairy godmother to bring you money. ain't going to happen.

I was just trying to keep the conversation lively.  The concept seemed to elude some people. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:28 am »
I was just trying to keep the conversation lively.  The concept seemed to elude some people. 

it always is all about the hosts. always.

Andyzipp

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 10:00:59 am »
it always is all about the hosts. always.

Fine.  I suck.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 10:07:52 am »
Fine.  I suck.

prima donna already? i hope not.

you are great, as everyone knew you would be. sports talk radio is not. i'm surprised a guy of your intelligence wants to play with them.

Andyzipp

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 10:09:30 am »
prima donna already? i hope not.

you are great, as everyone knew you would be. sports talk radio is not. i'm surprised a guy of your intelligence wants to play with them.

I was kidding.

And what else do I have to do on Saturday mornings?

Noe

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:21 am »
I was kidding.

And what else do I have to do on Saturday mornings?

Play hockey?  Oh wait, no frozen ponds around here... ahum... golf?  You could wear the funny close and chase around a little dimpled ball for two hours.  Of course, the question then becomes... why?

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:13 am »
Play hockey?  Oh wait, no frozen ponds around here... ahum... golf?  You could wear the funny close and chase around a little dimpled ball for two hours.  Of course, the question then becomes... why?

"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it."

Rogers Hornsby
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 01:46:15 pm »
Listening to the podcast now.

Jennifer Garner: ++
(And she was excellent in Juno, too.)
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Andyzipp

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 01:50:02 pm »
Listening to the podcast now.

Jennifer Garner: ++
(And she was excellent in Juno, too.)

Let me know what you think...and that goes for all of you.

I really do appreciate your feedback and would like to make this a thing that the site can hang it's proverbial hat on.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2008, 01:56:03 pm »
The Kerfeld stuff, I thought, was pretty representative of SnS.

The pravata v. nuno match, I thought, was mountain out of a molehill; Nuno could have made the point better that he mentioned, that Coop had admitted that he might (hypothetically) shake it up in a way he had not yet determined, and pravata could have come back to the point that there are no internal alternatives at this point, rather than simply "What?"
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

pravata

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2008, 01:57:01 pm »
The Kerfeld stuff, I thought, was pretty representative of SnS.

The pravata v. nuno match, I thought, was mountain out of a molehill; Nuno could have made the point better that he mentioned, that Coop had admitted that he might (hypothetically) shake it up in a way he had not yet determined, and pravata could have come back to the point that there are no internal alternatives at this point, rather than simply "What?"

Kinda hard when you cant get a word in edgewise.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 01:58:12 pm »
Admittedly.

pravata

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2008, 01:59:55 pm »
Admittedly.

Which was the point of my call.  Who gives a fuck what 1560 thinks about Bourn?  Seriously they know shit about shit regarding the Astros.

pravata

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
... he mentioned, that Coop had admitted that he might (hypothetically) shake it up in a way he had not yet determined, ...

All I've seen is Cooper saying Bourn is playing as long as the Astros are scoring and winning.  He also said that Bourn is uncomfortable bunting due to lack of practice.

Noe

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2008, 02:12:53 pm »
Seriously they know shit about shit regarding the Astros.

I was impressed with what Rodney said most if not all of the time and he did ask Zipper to correct him if he was wrong on things (which he wasn't, he was dead spot on).  I'm sure your personal matter with Nuno is still fresh in your mind but you're overstating this a bit.  Footer is part of the 1560 rotation and I think Granato is one of the best informed baseball commentators in the city all the while keeping his ego in check with humor and not taking himself seriously (sort of like we do here).  Pinwheel is only bad when he's trying to stir up readership on the chron as a columnist and blogger, but his show on 1560 has an entirely different slant to it when he's talking baseball and has on some of the most impressive guest (I said this the first week he was on).  I also think that David Dalatti over at 790 The Sports Animal is a great person to talk Astros with if they ever gave him an extended show to host.  Just because I personally can't stand to listen to John Lopez and Ted Deluca talk Houston Astros or that freak Davies in the morning doesn't mean that 790 doesn't know shit about shit regarding the Astros.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:35:44 pm by Noe in Austin »

pravata

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:29 pm »
I was impressed with what Rodney said most if not all of the time and he did ask Zipper to correct him if he was wrong on things (which he wasn't, he was dead spot on).  I'm sure your personal matter with Nuno is still fresh in your mind but you're overstating this a bit.

Alright, I'll amend that to they have no special insight nor knowledge regarding the Astros that would enlighten nor surprise the average fan.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:32 pm »
All I've seen is Cooper saying Bourn is playing as long as the Astros are scoring and winning.  He also said that Bourn is uncomfortable bunting due to lack of practice.

It sounded like Nuno was trying to say that he had specifically asked Coop about this.  Which was what I meant in saying that he should have expanded on it.

pravata

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:45 pm »
I was impressed with what Rodney said most if not all of the time and he did ask Zipper to correct him if he was wrong on things (which he wasn't, he was dead spot on).  I'm sure your personal matter with Nuno is still fresh in your mind but you're overstating this a bit.  Footer is part of the 1560 rotation and I think Granato is one of the best informed baseball commentators in the city.  Pinwheel is only bad when he's trying to stir up readership on the chron as a columnist and blogger, but his show on 1560 has an entirely different slant to it when he's talking baseball and has on some of the most impressive guest (I said this the first week he was on).  I also think that David Dalatti over at 790 The Sports Animal is a great person to talk Astros with if they ever gave him an extended show to host.  Just because I personally can't stand to listen to John Lopez and Ted Deluca talk Houston Astros or that freak Davies in the morning doesn't mean that 790 doesn't know shit about shit regarding the Astros.

I'll amend that to the times I've listened to 1560, which is twice.

pravata

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2008, 02:21:14 pm »
It sounded like Nuno was trying to say that he had specifically asked Coop about this.  Which was what I meant in saying that he should have expanded on it.

Yeah.  That would have helped.   

Noe

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:08 pm »
Alright, I'll amend that to they have no special insight nor knowledge regarding the Astros that would enlighten nor surprise the average fan.

1560 or the Gametime show?  I am sure Nuno and Waites would like to hear feedback like this... more Astros talk, less J-Lo.  But they also know what audience they have listening, so you may have to take J-Lo with the Astros at that time slot.  They deal with fans with tons of opinions and they share their opinions as well.  That is usually the fair for all sports talk radio.  If the demographic is 18-25 primarily, dude... what do you expect?  You're going to get J-Lo and Jennifer Garner... just like you get beer, Scarlett Johannsen, music and all sorts of other stuff in the TZ here!  Go ahead, I dare you to take away the Friday beer threads in the TZ... worse men than you have tried and got their arse kicked for it.

But we've been about less opinion, more information on the Astros by the Astros in whatever medium we can find.  Quotes on the interwebs, notes from Footer, shared information from sources, informed opinions from people who know baseball (Coach, etc., not me, I just pull up the caboose on that end).  It is a little different, subtle but different to find a group of folks who want information rather than hear themselves speak and give opinions as if they were running the club.  So I say cut Nuno some slack, he is getting to know us and we're getting to know him.  As long as you know where he's coming from and he knows where you're coming from, the discussion can be handled with less vitrol and more passion about getting to the gist of the item at hand.

Let's not fool ourselves, we're not anything special with any special insights either (although Zipp is entertaining as hell).  What we offer is what we offer and that is it.  Some smattering of opinions, some questions, a lot of desire to know what the Astros themselves are thinking and information along those lines.  You're our lead in that regard because you go out and find that *information* for us so we can deal from information to make assumptions as to what Cooper is thinking or WadeSmith.  I think if Nuno knew that was what we want in terms of the SnS participation and that is generally "how we roll", things would be fine.

Is it worth giving time too or is it worth having a disdain after two shows?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:40:26 pm by Noe in Austin »

pravata

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:15 pm »
1560 or the Gametime show?  I am sure Nuno and Waites would like to hear feedback like this... more Astros talk, less J-Lo.  But they also know what audience they have listening, so you may have to take J-Lo with the Astros at that time slot.  They deal with fans with tons of opinions and they share their opinions as well.  That is usually the fair for all sports talk radio.

But we've been about less opinion, more information on the Astros by the Astros in whatever medium we can find.  Quotes on the interwebs, notes from Footer, shared information from sources, informed opinions from people who know baseball (Coach, etc., not me, I just pull up the caboose on that end).  It is a little different, subtle but different to find a group of folks who want information rather than hear themselves speak and give opinions as if they were running the club.  So I say cut Nuno some slack, he is getting to know us and we're getting to know him.  As long as you know where he's coming from and he knows where you're coming from, the discussion can be handled with less vitrol and more passion about getting to the gist of the item at hand.

Let's not fool ourselves, we're not any special with any special insights either.  What we offer is what we offer and that is it.  Some smattering of opinions, some questions, a lot of desire to know what the Astros themselves are thinking and information along those lines.  You're our lead in that regard because you go out and find that *information* for us so we can deal from information to make assumptions as to what Cooper is thinking or WadeSmith.  I think if Nuno knew that was what we want in terms of the SnS participation and that is generally "how we roll", things would be fine.

Is it worth giving time too or is it worth having a disdain after two shows?

Not for me to decide for anyone else.  But I'll ask you that question the next time they hang up on you. 

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:39 pm »
Costas had a really neat show on HBO about the media and sports.  And one segment was on sports talk on the radio.  It is apparently what the male demographic they want to get likes.

I guess you have to decide if you are part of that demographic.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Noe

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:01 pm »
Not for me to decide for anyone else.  But I'll ask you that question the next time they hang up on you. 

Like that's never happened to me before?  Palillo did it to me once, Granato and Zerlein hung up on me when I was on mid-sentence trying to tell them about a young up and coming pitcher named Brad Lidge (they had to go to commercial break, so understood).  Dude, you were on for about 16 minutes, so don't make it sound like they didn't let you have your say... they did.  But they did admit to hanging up on you instead of telling you politely that they needed to move on.  And they apologized.

No one has ever apologized to me for hanging up on me on radio.... yet.  You're making this way too much for two shows and I'm sorry this happened to you.  Really, I am.  Can we continue this in private?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:59:28 pm by Noe in Austin »

Noe

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2008, 02:58:15 pm »
Costas had a really neat show on HBO about the media and sports.  And one segment was on sports talk on the radio.  It is apparently what the male demographic they want to get likes.

I guess you have to decide if you are part of that demographic.

Yes, go into this with eyes wide open and you won't fool yourself into anything else.

pravata

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2008, 03:20:05 pm »
...Dude, you were on for about 16 minutes, so don't make it sound like they didn't let you have your say... they did. 

So I've been told, twice now.  Was I speaking for 16 minutes?  I sent you an email

Noe

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2008, 03:30:59 pm »
So I've been told, twice now.  Was I speaking for 16 minutes?  I sent you an email

Thanks.

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2008, 07:43:25 pm »
First, the good.  I was flipping around last Saturday morning and came across your show.  Since I hadn't visited the BFT in a while, it was a stroke of luck to learn of the new site this way.  Not that I wouldn't have been redirected, but still, had no idea. 

Now, the bad: 

First, Zipp, you sound smarter online than over the airwaves.  Kidding, but it was weird hearing your voice for the first time ever.  I was expecting something different.  The man crush is over.  On the other hand, appreciated the fresh perspective you brought to a forum -- sports talk radio, that is -- that rarely has any.  Don't hear things like Bourn's apparent resistance to bunting very often on radio. 

Second, the "apology."  See, though, it wasn't exactly an apology.  It sounded about as much like an apology as a man apologizing to his wife for cheating on her, and then telling her to get over it.  He said something to the effect of "Yeah, I'm sorry I hung up on him...after his 86-minute call."  Cute.  Smartass.  But decidedly not apologetic.  Turns me off, as do all hosts in the mode of Zeuerlein, who feel it's their province to make snide remarks at the callers' expense.  It made me not want to listen again.  Look, if you want to apologize, say "Gee, I'm sorry, my bad," or "Sorry, dude, shouldn't have done that," or "I apologize."  Any attempt to justify your actions on-air completely nullifies the apology, and is in fact worse than not apologizing at all.  There, a customer's first impression for you to file away.  Or ignore.

I realize you're there to entertain first and foremost, but try some humility.  It actually is so rarely ever seen/heard in broadcasting that you'd be surprised how much you would stand out above all the other pinheads, pinwheels and pin cushions across the dial.  Think more JD, less DJ.
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."