Author Topic: UT Baseball  (Read 3547 times)

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
UT Baseball
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:32:53 pm »
Follow them off and on, when I can.  1-5 in their last 6 games.  Can anyone who follows them more closely sum up what's been going on lately?
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: UT Baseball
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:42:37 pm »
Follow them off and on, when I can.  1-5 in their last 6 games.  Can anyone who follows them more closely sum up what's been going on lately?

I haven't seen any recent games in person, but from what I can tell, they can't pitch, and they can't field. That's too simplistic, of course, because (for example) Ruffin had a fine start the other night. And I think the fielding is better than it was early in the year. But if they don't get blown out (the Missouri series was ridiculous), they play just poorly enough to lose a close one.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 02:59:04 pm »
Poor defense all year
Inconsistent hitting
Pitching is ver ordinary

Despite very high expectations for this team, it has not been very good.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:34:43 pm »
Poor defense all year
Inconsistent hitting
Pitching is ver ordinary

Jim, do you have an opinion on Augie as coach vs. Gus? Differences in approach for instance. As a student in the 70's I went to alot of games when Gus was in hi heyday but have completely lost touch.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 03:49:36 pm »
Poor defense all year
Inconsistent hitting
Pitching is ver ordinary

LSU has been crappy as well.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:54:41 pm »
Both are great coaches.

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:36 pm »
LSU has been crappy as well.

Looks like a sad final season for Alex Box Stadium

Biggio4HOF

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:15:25 am »
I haven't seen any recent games in person, but from what I can tell, they can't pitch, and they can't field. That's too simplistic, of course, because (for example) Ruffin had a fine start the other night. And I think the fielding is better than it was early in the year. But if they don't get blown out (the Missouri series was ridiculous), they play just poorly enough to lose a close one.
Inconsistent hitting.  Bad pitching.  Can't get bunts down.  No situational hitting.  They play like something bad is about to happen.  No "clutch" players.  No leadership.  Poor fielding.  Seemingly low baseball IQ.  No fire.

I've seen all but 2 home games...unfortunately.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 08:39:50 am »
Both are great coaches.

Jim, what's your opinion on pitching coach Skip Johnson?

His was a controversial hire when Augie tabbed him to make the jump from Navarro JC, and the pitching this season hasn't done anything to quiit his critics.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:44:26 am »
Jim, what's your opinion on pitching coach Skip Johnson?

His was a controversial hire when Augie tabbed him to make the jump from Navarro JC, and the pitching this season hasn't done anything to quiit his critics.

i have no knowledge about him and do not remember any controversy at all. in fact, he brought several good players with him. besides, what is a Div 1 pitching coach supposed to do? it seems to me that every once in awhile, players should be accountable for poor performance.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:02 am »
Looks like a sad final season for Alex Box Stadium

Oh, there's never really been a sad season at that yard, even back in 79 when we lost 34 games out of 46. We'll be back. We have some young pitchers. Mainieri needs to bolster the hitting a bit, but I have confidence that he'll do that. Going into the season, I knew, despite Mainieri's spin, that our Tigers were a year away. Jim Wells is going through the same thing this year at Alabama. Thank goodness Bianco is having a pretty good year at Ole Miss.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:43:05 pm »
i have no knowledge about him and do not remember any controversy at all. in fact, he brought several good players with him. besides, what is a Div 1 pitching coach supposed to do? it seems to me that every once in awhile, players should be accountable for poor performance.

I don't disagree about accountability, but I'm also hearing some devoted fans--not Internet idiots, but loyalists and long-time season ticket holders--calling for people like Ted Silva and Scott Forbes as potential replacements.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 01:23:08 pm »
I don't disagree about accountability, but I'm also hearing some devoted fans--not Internet idiots, but loyalists and long-time season ticket holders--calling for people like Ted Silva and Scott Forbes as potential replacements.

it was not long ago that the same folks wanted Augie fired. maybe not on the internet, but idiots nonetheless.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 01:27:06 pm »
it was not long ago that the same folks wanted Augie fired. maybe not on the internet, but idiots nonetheless.

It's truly amazing that you can have the success Augie has had and as soon as the team hits a tough stretch, you have to replace the coach.  Who would you get? 

hillbillyken

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 03:29:28 pm »
Any talk about replacment is idiotic!! The dude is a good baseball guy and a class act.
Fear is temporary, regret is forever.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »

It's truly amazing that you can have the success Augie has had and as soon as the team hits a tough stretch, you have to replace the coach.  Who would you get? 

no one after him now; you misread my post. that was during his first few years. Johnson is the one on the hot seat now.

At Ease

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 08:04:54 pm »
I think Augie's a good coach, but doesn't he leave the handling of the pitching staff nearly entirely up to the pitching coach?  Given that the UT teams were so successful earlier this decade because of their great pitching, who really deserves the credit.. ?

Unsurprisingly, telling 12 bench players they were at fault for UT's recent struggles and wouldn't be allowed to suit up didn't seem to help the Longhorns this past weekend.

Ron Brand

• Contributor
  • Smoke 'em inside.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 09:00:36 pm »
I think Augie's a good coach, but doesn't he leave the handling of the pitching staff nearly entirely up to the pitching coach?  Given that the UT teams were so successful earlier this decade because of their great pitching, who really deserves the credit.. ?

Unsurprisingly, telling 12 bench players they were at fault for UT's recent struggles and wouldn't be allowed to suit up didn't seem to help the Longhorns this past weekend.
Augie rolled the dice and came up close but ended up losing ground.  The fire was definitely lit under the team but it may be that Okie St. was just too good for it to work this weekend and now, after three tough losses the team's confidence is probably in even worse shape.  Augie's point was made, and I don't know what else he has in his trick bag to play, but it just didn't work out.

Everybody's down on Johnson and he may well be gone at the end of the year, but he's not only turned out a lot of pitchers who went on to D-1 success but didn't he bring a few with him to Texas?  I've heard players praising him and others saying he didn't have a clue, which doesn't speak well of how the team is working together either.  The team is definitely a mess right now and doesn't seem to have any kind of leadership among the players.  I hope this doesn't completely unravel.  Maybe this weekend's series will give them something they can build on.
I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:45:20 pm »
Austin paper hinted at dissention on the team as the reason for Augie's action. If so, good for him.

Duke

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:16 pm »
no one after him now; you misread my post. that was during his first few years. Johnson is the one on the hot seat now.

I didn't misread it, I was agreeing with you about the past criticism. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 01:33:40 pm »
I didn't misread it, I was agreeing with you about the past criticism. 

oh, ok.