Author Topic: Round Rock Express  (Read 55631 times)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Round Rock Express
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:26 am »
Welcome to the Round Rock Express 2008 thread.  Here is where we will welcome your thoughts, questions, observations and especially your first hand accounts of the Express this season.   
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:45:35 pm by Duman »
Always ready to go to a game.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
RR Transaction
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:42:43 am »
Brian Gordon sent down to AA and placed as inactive
Tim Byrdak - signed

Byrdak - played college ball at Rice.  Has MLB stints with KC (98 to 00), Baltimore (05-06), and Tigers 2007.  He is a lefty and last year appeared in 39 games, striking out 49 in 45 innings and with an ERA of 3.20.  Sounds like he could be a quick call up if needed.

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Nieve
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:25:35 am »
Saw that Nieve went 5 (1H, 0R, 0BB, 5SO) against Iowa yesterday (BOX SCORE), and was looking for some first hand observations.  Will hang up and listen.  Thanks!
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Nieve
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:44 am »
Saw that Nieve went 5 (1H, 0R, 0BB, 5SO) against Iowa yesterday (BOX SCORE), and was looking for some first hand observations.  Will hang up and listen.  Thanks!

I-Cub Eric Patterson
“He didn’t throw a lot of off-speed pitches,” said Patterson, who finished 2007 with a five-game hitting streak, then added hits in each of the first three games this season. “He threw mostly fastballs that we, for some reason, couldn’t catch up to.”

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Round Rock Express
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:02:53 pm »
I probably missed this somewhere, but what is the story on Regilio?  I looked up his stats and there are none for 2006 or 2007.  Injured?  Japan?  Bored with baseball??
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 03:36:49 pm »
I probably missed this somewhere, but what is the story on Regilio?  I looked up his stats and there are none for 2006 or 2007.  Injured?  Japan?  Bored with baseball??

Missed the last 3 months of 05 with a Flexor Tendon Injury tried to comeback on spring training but was released from Rangers in 4/06.  Out of baseball for the regular seasons in 06 or 07.  Don't know if surgery is the reason but the time frame would be about right.

jonbloozy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:52:32 am »
Looks like Reineke fell apart yesterday, 3.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER
BOX 

Nieve seems like he's recovering nicely, 5 IP, 1 H, 5 K
BOX 

I was also really impressed with Josh Muecke's performance in the season opener, 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5 K
BOX
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:26:45 pm »
Looks like Reineke fell apart yesterday, 3.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER
BOX 

Nieve seems like he's recovering nicely, 5 IP, 1 H, 5 K
BOX 

I was also really impressed with Josh Muecke's performance in the season opener, 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 5 K
BOX
Ummm ... not to be rude or anything, but did you see any of this?  Or are you just posting box scores in case the rest of us can't find them?
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 01:38:04 pm »
Ummm ... not to be rude or anything, but did you see any of this?  Or are you just posting box scores in case the rest of us can't find them?

And all you really have to do is get off at the Bus Stop.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 07:32:01 pm »

I watched the season opener here and really just wanted to get some discussion going.  Couldn't find any box scores for the first few games last week and just wanted to make it easier for others to view.  Since Duman told me this was the best place to keep up with the Astros affiliates, I wanted to save others the trouble of searching for the statistics (not that it is difficult).

Don't mean to step on any toes.
I say smorgasbord!

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:42:55 am »
I've not seen a RR game this year.

I've been tracking YRam's at-bats though through gameday.  He has no walks and 2 K's.  But he appears to be taking pitches so far esp with no runners on.  The look of it through gameday makes it appear he seems to be catching on to how he's supposed to approach his at-bats.  I do not know the quality of his swing this year; whether he's lunging at pitches; taking obvious balls and swinging at anything close...  I am looking forward to feedback from those who get to watch the games.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 10:09:28 am »
I've not seen a RR game this year.

I've been tracking YRam's at-bats though through gameday.  He has no walks and 2 K's.  But he appears to be taking pitches so far esp with no runners on.  The look of it through gameday makes it appear he seems to be catching on to how he's supposed to approach his at-bats.  I do not know the quality of his swing this year; whether he's lunging at pitches; taking obvious balls and swinging at anything close...  I am looking forward to feedback from those who get to watch the games.

my buddy Capps says he has the best arm he has ever seen. he is very, very high on him.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:37:53 am »
my buddy Capps says he has the best arm he has ever seen. he is very, very high on him.

There's a reason Wade, who saw him regularly in SD, put him on the 40-man.  I can say this.  In the Pads org, their GM was just about the only person who didn't want to put YRam on their 40-man.  Their scouts, his coaches, and most of the other personnel wanted to keep him badly.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 01:11:53 pm »
Very high praise considering some of the cannons that have patrolled the Dell Diamond in recent years.
Up in the Air

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 02:05:54 pm »
Jeff Bagwell had high praise for him in one of the camps before the season. Compared him to Andrew Jones if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:08:11 pm by SaltyParker »

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 02:18:59 pm »
Here is some of the praises being sung:

Danny Klassen
"Ramirez in center has made some plays in the last few weeks of spring training that in — my, how many years I've been playing? — I haven't seen before," said Klassen. "He's pretty special out there."

Ed Wade
"Yordany Ramirez ranks as one of the top defensive outfielders at the higher Minor League levels, and we think that he will continue to make significant progress with the bat," Wade said. "Felix Francisco, our recently hired director of Latin American scouting, originally signed Yordany while working for the San Diego Padres, and he thinks that Yordany will develop into a front-line big league player. There were several teams pursuing Ramirez, and we thought enough of his ability to sign him to a Major League contract."

Jeff Bagwell:
"I'm a little baffled why San Diego let him go," Bagwell said during a recent airing of "Astroline" with broadcaster Dave Raymond. "He has all the tools. He reminds me of a young Andruw Jones."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »
he also said a couple of long-time scouts said he was the best OFer they had ever seen.

Greenevansj

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 10:57:48 am »
Hi guys,
  I've been reading things for a while but, I'm posting for the first time. Probably won't be the last either.

I went to the Express game last night with the free tickets that the Express gave to my unit, the 4th Infantry Division. It wasn't my first game, though. The Wife and I also went to the per-season game against Corpus.

About that first game, the first pitch of the game was hit a ton to right-center. Yordany Ramirez somehow caught up to it and made an amazing catch slamming into the wall. That was a great first impression of Yordany for me and countless other fans.

Now, the thing that's really eating me... last night, at the home opener, Cassel as you may know, took a perfect game into the 6th. The ball was hit midway between Diaz in right and Ash at 2nd. For some reason, Diaz gave way to Ash. They were both standing within four feet of each other when the ball hit Ash's glove and fell to the ground.

It took a minute or two for the scoreboard to pop up with a hit. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Is there not home town scoring anymore? Even an away scorer would have thought, "well, he was set-up under it and it hit his glove... that's an error". I felt so bad for Cassel. He got taken out in the next inning.

The end of the game was amazing. Talk to you guys after tonight's game probably!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 04:21:01 pm »
the scorekeeper there is the Worst of All Time, but he usually is an embarrassing homer. that one was surprising.

welcome, General Clark.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:28:40 pm by JimR »

pravata

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 04:25:13 pm »
There's a reason Wade, who saw him regularly in SD, put him on the 40-man.  I can say this.  In the Pads org, their GM was just about the only person who didn't want to put YRam on their 40-man.  Their scouts, his coaches, and most of the other personnel wanted to keep him badly.

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=104712.0

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 09:17:08 pm »
Duman: who is Carlos(?) Hines?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 09:22:07 pm »
signed as a minor league FA during the off season.

Here is what I learned about him when he signed:

RHP Carlos Hines- 27 years old, two years of AAA ball and currently pitching in Mexican Pacific League for winter ball.  Stats here Last year in the Giants org, previous year in Tampa Bay's.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:51 am »
signed as a minor league FA during the off season.

Here is what I learned about him when he signed:

i was excited about him watching him warm up. he throws very hard. then he walked the ballpark.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 11:34:59 am »
Thanks for keeping us updated with From The Bus Stop.  Nice job.

Any word on why Q was missing from RR?

With David Newhan optioned up to Houston and Edwin Maysonet injured, Round Rock is one hitter short on its roster. The Express also did not have the services of catcher Humberto Quintero on Sunday, which led to Jack Cassel, the starting pitcher for Friday night's home opener, pinch hitting in the 11th inning.

"It put us in a bind but that's not why we lost the ballgame," Clark said.

Link
I say smorgasbord!

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 11:49:45 am »
Now, the thing that's really eating me... last night, at the home opener, Cassel as you may know, took a perfect game into the 6th. The ball was hit midway between Diaz in right and Ash at 2nd. For some reason, Diaz gave way to Ash. They were both standing within four feet of each other when the ball hit Ash's glove and fell to the ground.

It took a minute or two for the scoreboard to pop up with a hit. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? Is there not home town scoring anymore? Even an away scorer would have thought, "well, he was set-up under it and it hit his glove... that's an error". I felt so bad for Cassel. He got taken out in the next inning.

Are you sure it hit Ash's glove? I thought it dropped untouched, in which case a hit would be the usual call.

I was in the control room working Friday night's game, and the scorer called it a hit immediately, without a doubt. The scoreboard operator next to me was slow to put it up.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 03:11:36 pm »
Are you sure it hit Ash's glove? I thought it dropped untouched, in which case a hit would be the usual call.

I was in the control room working Friday night's game, and the scorer called it a hit immediately, without a doubt. The scoreboard operator next to me was slow to put it up.

the scoreboard has been slow the entire homestand. Grubbs is a huge loss. the scorer at The Dell is by far the worst i have ever seen. he must be somebody's brother-in-law.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 07:17:14 pm »
Duman-Taras and I are at The Dell and want to know about Muecke. Is he homegrown talent?

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 08:02:49 pm »
Duman-Taras and I are at The Dell and want to know about Muecke. Is he homegrown talent?

I believe he is Jim. A 26 year old lefty who has worked his way up the ladder. Tri-city in 2003, Lexington in '04, Salem in '05, CC in '06 & '07.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 08:10:57 pm »
Yes.  5th round pick out of Loyola Marymount in 2003.  Tri-City (03), Lexington (04), Salem (05), Corpus (06/07).

ETA - Cabrera'd on the progrssion through the system.
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 09:29:45 pm »
Thanks for keeping us updated with From The Bus Stop.  Nice job.

Any word on why Q was missing from RR?

With David Newhan optioned up to Houston and Edwin Maysonet injured, Round Rock is one hitter short on its roster. The Express also did not have the services of catcher Humberto Quintero on Sunday, which led to Jack Cassel, the starting pitcher for Friday night's home opener, pinch hitting in the 11th inning.

"It put us in a bind but that's not why we lost the ballgame," Clark said.

Link

Thanks for letting me know you are reading it.  Don't know why Q wasn't available for the game.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:36 pm »
Thanks for letting me know you are reading it.  Don't know why Q wasn't available for the game.

He had to catch a plane to Philadelphia?
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »

Sorry, this is a known Cabrera, as I saw this reported elsewhere on this site but was not able to find it again.

Glad he's gonna get another chance.

Link
I say smorgasbord!

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 09:46:56 pm »
Thanks guys, after I posted I saw it in the TZ. 

In other transaction news, Josh Johnson has been released according to BA.  I will try to get the full list up tomorrow as I have taxes still to do tonight.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 10:07:15 pm »

Okay, here I go (you brought him up, I didn't)

I'm most likely the resident expert on Muecke, as we played sports together in high school.  I've been following him for the last couple years through the farm system.  

2006 was a bust as he was hit on his throwing arm by a rebounder his first outing.  

Get to know him

Did well for the Hooks in 2007: 9-5, 3.90 ERA, 1.36 WHIP.  Was the pitching MVP for the Hooks.

Excelled in the 2007 Arizona Fall League in relief: 1.56 ERA, 13 IP, 0.98 WHIP.  Ricky Bennett on Muecke

First shot at Spring Training this year. 

Here's what Coop thought (02/22/08):
On who has stood out during the last eight days of workouts: “Josh Muecke has been pretty impressive. So has the kid, (Sammy) Gervacio. He’s throwing the ball real well. I also thought Stephen Randolph threw the ball pretty well the last time out, and it looked like he was throwing strikes today too. Geoff Geary threw the ball well and looked good today too.” “There have been several, but if I had to pick somebody right now, it would be Muecke. He has thrown the ball quite well.”

He kinda tanked in the two innings he pitched, but it was two innings.

From a fan's standpoint; he's a great kid who comes from a good family.  Good head on his shoulders and has a tremendous work ethic.  Encouraged to see how he will respond to the challenges of AAA.

[digress]
My dad coaches a softball team with his dad on the roster.  My dad had to institute the "Muecke rule" - his dad can only brag about his son for two minutes per game.
[/digress]

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:21:34 pm by jonbloozy »
I say smorgasbord!

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 10:19:09 pm »
Okay, here I go (you brought him up, I didn't)

I'm most likely the resident expert on Muecke, as we played sports together in high school.  I've been following him for the last couple years through the farm system. 

2006 was a bust as he was hit on his throwing arm by a rebounder his first outing. 

Get to know him

Did well for the Hooks in 2007: 9-5, 3.90 ERA, 1.36 WHIP.  Was the pitching MVP for the Hooks.

Excelled in the 2007 Arizona Fall League in relief: 1.56 ERA, 13 IP, 0.98 WHIP.  Ricky Bennett on Muecke

He kinda tanked in his two innings in Spring Training this year, but it was two innings.

Here's what Coop thought.

From a fan's standpoint; he's a great kid who comes from a good family.  Good head on his shoulders and has a tremendous work ethic.  My dad coaches a softball team with his dad on the roster.  My dad had to institute the "Muecke rule" - his dad could only brag about his son for two minutes per game.

Thanks for the first hand info.  Love the Muecke rule.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:08 pm »
Byrdak--wow!

throws hard
throws strikes
LHP

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 11:53:29 pm »
Byrdak--wow!

throws hard
throws strikes
LHP

Was effective in Tiger pen last year and was one of the last players cut this spring.  Good pick up for the Astros.  Could see him in Houston soon if he is effective at AAA and anyone struggles in Houston since we only have Wright as a LHP in the pen

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 07:54:31 am »
Was effective in Tiger pen last year and was one of the last players cut this spring.  Good pick up for the Astros.  Could see him in Houston soon if he is effective at AAA and anyone struggles in Houston since we only have Wright as a LHP in the pen

imo, it will not require anyone to be struggling. i think he'll be up after a few appearances in RR. he is good.

Greenevansj

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:54 am »

I was sitting on the Right Field Berm (drinking my free beer, by the way!) and it definitely hit Ash's glove. Diaz could have easily made that catch, I have no idea why he yielded to Johnny. But, I noticed the next night that Johnny really likes to take control of those little pop-ups. Ramirez didn't let him get any, though. Which is probably for the best.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 08:50:57 am »
imo, it will not require anyone to be struggling. i think he'll be up after a few appearances in RR. he is good.

Ditto.  Byrdak looks like the real deal.  Otherwise, not exactly an overflow of talent at RR.  Gorneault is a pretty fair AAAA stick.  As Jim pointed out, Abercrombie's body was snatched by Jimerson and is swinging at every random baseball and flying insect that comes near him.  But, he can cover some ground in centerfield which will be helpful in his next career of chasing down restaurant patrons who forget to tip.

They didn't have the gun working last night, but Byrdak was definitely bringing it.  For strikes, too.  Muecke pitched okay (that translates into "off the charts" since he's a lefty) and would have benefited from some actual defensive plays behind him.  Saccomono has no arm at third--there's a lot of drama in seeing if his throw to first will actually make it there.  Jonny Ash--why?  Are they shooting a remake of "The Wizard of Oz" in Pflugerville?

New Orleans trotted out Armas who pitched reasonably well, though he receives some deducts for allowing Abercrombie to actually tip one of his pitches foul.  Fernando Tatis is alive and had a jack to prove it but Wright's probably not too worried about him.

It was dollar hot dog night.  Excercising restraint, Coach had two.  I had three and then snuck off around the 7th and had another up top.  That fourth one started rolling around in the gut sack at about 3AM singing, "Danny Boy" in honor of last night's hero.

Purity of Essence

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 09:30:17 am »
I'd like to hear feedback from anyone attending on YRam's at-bats.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 09:32:03 am »
I'd like to hear feedback from anyone attending on YRam's at-bats.

he mist be hurt. he PH in the 9th and walked just before Klassen imitated the Babe. Fat Elvis Hernandez pinch ran for Yordany. need any more proof he has a hurt leg?

his average is down 30 points since Friday.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 09:47:53 am »
he mist be hurt. he PH in the 9th and walked just before Klassen imitated the Babe. Fat Elvis Hernandez pinch ran for Yordany. need any more proof he has a hurt leg?

his average is down 30 points since Friday.

He has a history of injuries.
Goin' for a bus ride.

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 02:02:29 am »

My knowledge of Byrdak is very limited, consisting of: (1) his last spring training outing against the Astros (0.0 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 0 SO); and (2) his stats/age [Stats-WHIP and Stats- IP and ERA].  Based on this info, I'm a little surprised to see such glowing comments about him and am curious what you saw in him that elicited the Coach's seal of approval?
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 08:51:29 am »
My knowledge of Byrdak is very limited, consisting of: (1) his last spring training outing against the Astros (0.0 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 0 SO); and (2) his stats/age [Stats-WHIP and Stats- IP and ERA].  Based on this info, I'm a little surprised to see such glowing comments about him and am curious what you saw in him that elicited the Coach's seal of approval?

Here is what has me interested in him.

49 K's in 45 innings for Detroit last year.  Hitters hit only .230 off him.  And he is left handed.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 01:26:18 pm »
I have seen him once so I am probably reporting too early.
I saw this:

He threw very hard-the gun was not working, but I am guessing 93-95.he blew 3 hitters away in order.
He threw strikes.
He threw with his left arm.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 05:41:10 pm »
Individual Stats (Batting)
Player                 POS  G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG  OPS  E   
Reggie Abercrombie OF 12  49  8  8   1    0   4     5   21   4   22   7    0  .226  .429 .163 .655  1

I don't recall ever seeing a line quite like this.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 06:37:20 pm »
Individual Stats (Batting)
Player                 POS  G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG  OPS  E   
Reggie Abercrombie OF 12  49  8  8   1    0   4     5   21   4   22   7    0  .226  .429 .163 .655  1

I don't recall ever seeing a line quite like this.

It is alarmingly similar to Colin Delome's in Lexington.  Delome's is slightly better with fewer stolen bases.

Team   League   AVG   G   AB   R   H   2B   3B   HR   RBI   TB   BB   SO   SB   CS   OBP   SLG   OPS
LEX     SAL      .216      13      51      6      11       2       0        4         7      25          3   18   1   1   .259   .490   .749

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 07:14:31 pm »
I have seen him once so I am probably reporting too early.
I saw this:

He threw very hard-the gun was not working, but I am guessing 93-95.he blew 3 hitters away in order.
He threw strikes.
He threw with his left arm.

Thanks for the info.  Seeing a live arm is much different from looking at cold numbers, and was interested in your take.  In any event, I've read Leyland wasn't real excited about letting him go. 

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2008, 04:53:30 pm »
Saw today that Byrdak was "activated" prior to yesterday's game.  What does that mean?

Link

I also heard (listening to the archive of Monday's game) that Byrdak's wife gave birth last week.  Maybe that sheds some light on his performance yesterday (see: Chris Sampson).  Not sure about the other guys.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2008, 05:30:09 pm »
Saw today that Byrdak was "activated" prior to yesterday's game.  What does that mean?

Link

I also heard (listening to the archive of Monday's game) that Byrdak's wife gave birth last week.  Maybe that sheds some light on his performance yesterday (see: Chris Sampson).  Not sure about the other guys.

I expect your two items are linked ... guys go on and off the "inactive" list for a variety of reasons, but home with a new mom sounds like it may be the explanation in this case.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:14 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Seeing a live arm is much different from looking at cold numbers, and was interested in your take.  In any event, I've read Leyland wasn't real excited about letting him go. 

well, since then, the Boss here has told me he's no good. i have tempered my enthusiasm and will report later when i have seen him a few times.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2008, 09:01:42 pm »
well, since then, the Boss here has told me he's no good. i have tempered my enthusiasm and will report later when i have seen him a few times.

The Boss?  I never said he's no good.  I compared him to Randolph.  Is Randolph no good?  I think he is and am baffled by his inability to do in the majors what he does to AAA hitters.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 08:10:39 am »
The Boss?  I never said he's no good.  I compared him to Randolph.  Is Randolph no good?  I think he is and am baffled by his inability to do in the majors what he does to AAA hitters.

i am not talking about good in AAA. a comparison to Randolph is not a compliment in my perception. he has been a near-total flop in MLB.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:18:54 am by JimR »

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2008, 12:48:06 pm »
On paper, this team isn't hitting worth a damn.  Among the regulars, only Gorneault and Diaz are hitting above .250 (and Diaz is all Punch-and-Judy, with a pedestrian .300 slugging %).  Niekro and Abercrombie are well south of .200.

From those who actually get to see the Express play, what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2008, 01:21:15 pm »
On paper, this team isn't hitting worth a damn.  Among the regulars, only Gorneault and Diaz are hitting above .250 (and Diaz is all Punch-and-Judy, with a pedestrian .300 slugging %).  Niekro and Abercrombie are well south of .200.

From those who actually get to see the Express play, what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on?

it is an entire team of roster fillers. perhaps Yordany and Nieve will be an asset to the Astros; both have worlds of talent. the rest just look like folks who are playing ball as a summer job hoping for another callup.

i have hopes for Cassell and Byrdak, but....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:23:27 pm by JimR »

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 01:34:32 pm »
it is an entire team of roster fillers. perhaps Yordany and Nieve will be an asset to the Astros; he's got worlds of talent. the rest just look like folks who are playing ball as a summer job.

i have hopes for Cassell and Byrdak, but....

mark saccamanno went to my high school, albeit a few years after me, but one of my best friends is pretty close to him.  i've never personally seen him play, but do you think he has any future in mlb, even as a pinch-hitter?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 01:41:08 pm »
mark saccamanno went to my high school, albeit a few years after me, but one of my best friends is pretty close to him.  i've never personally seen him play, but do you think he has any future in mlb, even as a pinch-hitter?

Capps thinks he has a chance. he sees him every day.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2008, 02:44:32 pm »
Capps thinks he has a chance. he sees him every day.

Was Capps saying that Sac's arm is a work in progress?
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2008, 02:48:59 pm »
Was Capps saying that Sac's arm is a work in progress?

yes, and that it is much better this year than last.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »
yes, and that it is much better this year than last.

Was he using a catapult last year?
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2008, 03:05:51 pm »
Was he using a catapult last year?

did not play a huge amount at third b/c of Ransom, but it was obvious that he had arm problems.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2008, 06:49:20 am »
Finally made it out to the Diamond this year ... a few first impressions.

Beer:  They have Shiner Black Lager on tap this year.  'nuf said.

Food:  Dollar hotdog Mondays suck.  The good places were closed on account of the competition.

Abercrombie:  Makes Jimerson look selective at the plate.  Even the redbird fireman who was throwing mid-90's throttled back to mid-80's and made him look terrible. 

Abercrombie:  Does not have a RF arm.  Poor throws on two chances and no attempt on another one.  Memphis was clearly challenging him.

Abercrombie:  Is fast!  2B & 3B on balls pulled right down the 3B line; another 2B on a ball he was fooled on and managed to pop weakly just over the first baseman's head.

Ramirez:  Is even faster!  Covered huge amounts of ground in CF; one fabulous running catxh saved extra bases; He easily stole 2B in his one attempt.  They did not challenge his arm.

Paronto:  Is fat.

Saccomanno:  Looks very comfortable at the plate, but very uncomfortable in the field.  He made a few bobbles (with no error) and showed some bad judgment on a slow roller that was almost sure to go foul before he picked it and threw wildly to 1B.

Klassen:  Does not look like the same guy who has played here in the past.  Lost at the plate, though serviceable in the field.

Hines:  Is 90% legs and arms; an amazing build.  He threw hard, but he must not have been fooling anyone based on the results.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2008, 08:26:52 am »

Food:  Dollar hotdog Mondays suck.  The good places were closed on account of the competition.

Abercrombie:  Makes Jimerson look selective at the plate.  Even the redbird fireman who was throwing mid-90's throttled back to mid-80's and made him look terrible. 

Abercrombie:  Does not have a RF arm.  Poor throws on two chances and no attempt on another one.  Memphis was clearly challenging him.

Abercrombie:  Is fast!  2B & 3B on balls pulled right down the 3B line; another 2B on a ball he was fooled on and managed to pop weakly just over the first baseman's head.

Ramirez:  Is even faster!  Covered huge amounts of ground in CF; one fabulous running catxh saved extra bases; He easily stole 2B in his one attempt.  They did not challenge his arm.

Saccomanno:  Looks very comfortable at the plate, but very uncomfortable in the field.  He made a few bobbles (with no error) and showed some bad judgment on a slow roller that was almost sure to go foul before he picked it and threw wildly to 1B.

Klassen:  Does not look like the same guy who has played here in the past.  Lost at the plate, though serviceable in the field.

Hines:  Is 90% legs and arms; an amazing build.  He threw hard, but he must not have been fooling anyone based on the results.

Man, that Ramirez must be something. Every time some one goes to a RR game he makes a great play.
A few years back this organization was devoid of CF talent and now it seems flush with it at least defensively.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 08:28:12 am »

Thanks for the observations

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »
I notice Q is back in the lineup for RR tonight.  I was sorry to see him dfa, but glad to have him still in the organization.  I look forward to actually seeing his progress when they are back in RR.
Up in the Air

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 07:26:45 pm »
I notice Q is back in the lineup for RR tonight.  I was sorry to see him dfa, but glad to have him still in the organization.  I look forward to actually seeing his progress when they are back in RR.
That's a rough deal for Q. In limbo 10 days, called up for a couple days then inactive for another 10. I would imagine that he would prefer to tell the organization to shove it. A paycheck will cause you not to do that I suppose. If he didn't produce at the ML level would be one thing.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:44 am »
That's a rough deal for Q. In limbo 10 days, called up for a couple days then inactive for another 10. I would imagine that he would prefer to tell the organization to shove it. A paycheck will cause you not to do that I suppose. If he didn't produce at the ML level would be one thing.

I very much get what you're saying.  At the same time, Q needs to watch his step or he'll become the shovee.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 09:43:04 am »

i want him gone. there is no good that can come of his being where he does not want to be.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:55 am »
i want him gone. there is no good that can come of his being where he does not want to be.
He wants to be in MLB.  Nobody in MLB wants him right now, but Houston has (apparently) told him he is part of their future.  IMO, that's a good deal for all concerned.  I'd like to see him tear up the PCL this summer, thereby at least earning a late call-up (and the inside track for a spot on the 2009 25-man roster).  And from his perspective, he could also force the issue by doing well enough to get some other team to offer some value in a trade.

Unless you have inside info that indicates he is a clubhouse poison, I think he is fine where he is.  RR has lived through some sour attitudes in the past, and I expect that most AAA clubs are in the same position.   
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 10:24:58 am »
I have a buddy who is a minor league pitcher and I can't say his name but he used to play with Q on the Padres.  He told me he hated him being his catcher because when the Latino players would come up, he'd tell the opposing player what pitch was coming.  And for my friend he doesn't throw hard, he only has deception that's it.  His comment to me was totally unsolicited.  They were no longer team mates.

So I know one guy that can't stand him.

pravata

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2008, 10:36:52 am »
(4/25) House unsure of his status, "I'm not sure,'' he said Thursday. "I signed [with Houston] originally because they said they'd let me catch. Others talked about me playing first base or being a designated hitter. I feel, though, my arm is back and want to catch."

"Anyway, I was surprised when Quintero cleared waivers. I guess I've just got to play the game and put up big numbers. You never know about this game.''
Link

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2008, 11:21:13 am »
I have a buddy who is a minor league pitcher and I can't say his name but he used to play with Q on the Padres.  He told me he hated him being his catcher because when the Latino players would come up, he'd tell the opposing player what pitch was coming.  And for my friend he doesn't throw hard, he only has deception that's it.  His comment to me was totally unsolicited.  They were no longer team mates.

So I know one guy that can't stand him.

that's a pretty major claim to throw out here

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:07 am »
that's a pretty major claim to throw out here

valid claim

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2008, 11:55:02 am »
valid claim

in what way?  does that type of thing happen often?  is there that much of a fraternity among latin players?

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 12:21:16 pm »
Look you can believe me or not but I've known this guy for 6 or 7 years.  I could tell in face when he told me that he meant it.  I don't have permission to share his name so I need to respect him. 

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:32 pm »
Look you can believe me or not but I've known this guy for 6 or 7 years.  I could tell in face when he told me that he meant it.  I don't have permission to share his name so I need to respect him. 

i'm not saying i don't believe you, and obviously coach does, it just seems to me to be a pretty big charge.  i'm curious about some more detail about the context or prevalence of latin catchers (or q specifically) tipping pitches to latin players.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:37 pm »
i'm not saying i don't believe you, and obviously coach does, it just seems to me to be a pretty big charge.  i'm curious about some more detail about the context or prevalence of latin catchers (or q specifically) tipping pitches to latin players.

Hey, you never know when a tipped pitch now might get you a job for spring training as a 35 year old catcher.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 01:05:01 pm »
in what way?  does that type of thing happen often?  is there that much of a fraternity among latin players?

not that. i know nothing about that.

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2008, 01:26:36 pm »
If I understand correctly, Roy has not been fond of Q in the past, though that may be read in different ways: not liking Q, or prefering Ausmus for his experience and tallent.

Would there be a chance that, through his buddy Peavy, he might know of this other pitcher and his Q problems?
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2008, 06:40:22 pm »
Not to change the subject, but I heard from Brian Gordon's dad that he signed with the Rangers.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:52 pm »
Express are struggling at at the plate.  They need to put up some runs!  Recap  Box

Muecke looked good through 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
Replaced in 7th by Paronto, 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
YRam leads off 8th with a triple, followed by a House sac fly to tie the game 2-2
Regilio pitches a 1-2-3 9th.  Gives up a homer in 10th, RR 2, NO 3 FINAL

VDiaz, solo HR in 2, RR LOB: 6
I say smorgasbord!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52:32 am »
saw the Express last night although i did not stay for all 13 innings. Nieve touched 97 in his last inning, but part of that no doubt was being mad about Raines' 2 out, 2 strike hit that either was foul or right over the bag and tied the score.

they are not hitting at all, except for House, but would have a great sprint relay team.

Wiggy was HBP his first two times up, and the second time he was #1 in 3 consecutive HBP. i have never seen that before.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2008, 09:41:00 am »
Not to change the subject, but I heard from Brian Gordon's dad that he signed with the Rangers.

Not only did Gordon sign with the Rangers, but he made his Frisco debut by shoving it up Corpus' ass to save the Frisco win on Saturday night.  Good for him.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »
fyi-Wade is in RR watching Wiggy and, perhaps, Yordany.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »
So ... Tomas Perez shows up in RR, presumably with some expectation of playing time.  Meanwhile MiLB shows that Paul Estrada is now "active" and that Alay Soler is assigned to RR (though inactive).  MiLB also shows Josh Paul with no uniform number (though I don;t know if that is a change) and he is missing altogether from the official express site roster (which also carries Tomas but gives no hint of Estrada and Soler).  And, of course, nobody bothers to keep the Express transactions up to date.  The MiLB site has a lot of PCL transactions, but Cassel's promotion is the kast one for RR.

Who gets (or got) bumped for Perez?  Paul?  If so, I guess that ends speculation (or supplication) for a Q trade.  If not, who?  Maysonet?  Klassen?

And what about Estrada?  Is he going to ride to the rescue like he did last year [/sarc]?  Or is he really not active?  BA indicates that Gothreaux went on and off the inactive list this week, too (FWIW).  I assume it will be Miller filling Cassel's rotation spot?  Anybody have a better guess (or better yet, some source of real information)?

And most of all ... is there some way we can get the team to put transaction news on the website instead of (or at least in addition to) all the promo hype??

There.  That felt better.
Up in the Air

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »
fyi-Wade is in RR watching Wiggy and, perhaps, Yordany.

Does this signal the official beginning of the Cheo, Jr. death watch?
Purity of Essence

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »
"Death" might be a little strong ...
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2008, 02:00:15 pm »
So ... Tomas Perez shows up in RR, presumably with some expectation of playing time.  Meanwhile MiLB shows that Paul Estrada is now "active" and that Alay Soler is assigned to RR (though inactive).  MiLB also shows Josh Paul with no uniform number (though I don;t know if that is a change) and he is missing altogether from the official express site roster (which also carries Tomas but gives no hint of Estrada and Soler).  And, of course, nobody bothers to keep the Express transactions up to date.  The MiLB site has a lot of PCL transactions, but Cassel's promotion is the kast one for RR.

Who gets (or got) bumped for Perez?  Paul?  If so, I guess that ends speculation (or supplication) for a Q trade.  If not, who?  Maysonet?  Klassen?

And what about Estrada?  Is he going to ride to the rescue like he did last year [/sarc]?  Or is he really not active?  BA indicates that Gothreaux went on and off the inactive list this week, too (FWIW).  I assume it will be Miller filling Cassel's rotation spot?  Anybody have a better guess (or better yet, some source of real information)?

And most of all ... is there some way we can get the team to put transaction news on the website instead of (or at least in addition to) all the promo hype??

There.  That felt better.

call Reid. i'm sure he'd love to hear from you. do not blame the Express for this Roster mess. boy, that team misses Derek Grubbs. the new guy is boring.

Paul was in uniform last night. Maysonet is the starting SS. i doubt they are real thrilled to get Tomas.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2008, 02:04:53 pm »
What happened to Derek?  I haven't made a game yet.  That really sucks.  He is so fun.  He was the PA announcer at A&M when I was there, and really made it an experience.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2008, 02:08:11 pm »
call Reid. i'm sure he'd love to hear from you. do not blame the Express for this Roster mess. boy, that team misses Derek Grubbs. the new guy is boring.
Do you have his number?  And for what it is worth, I am not blaming the Express for the mess.  I am blaming the Express for being silent about what has actually happened.  I understand that they are not there to feed speculation about the future, and I also understand that they are pretty much stuck with whoever the Astros assign to them when they can't get anyone to bite on the waiver wire.  Presumably, however, the actual transactions have to get recorded/reported somewhere ... Why the secrecy about that?  A one-sentence item under "news" would take care of it.

Paul was in uniform last night. Maysonet is the starting SS. i doubt they are real thrilled to get Tomas.
I noticed that.  Maysonet does not seem to have much of a ceiling and Klassen (who could equally be called the "starting SS" since they have split the 23 starts 12/11) does not seem to be playing as well as he did in years past, so I was just speculating that one of them might be cut to make room for the aged Perez.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2008, 02:09:36 pm »
What happened to Derek?  I haven't made a game yet.  That really sucks.  He is so fun.  He was the PA announcer at A&M when I was there, and really made it an experience.
Derek?
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2008, 02:11:37 pm »

he went to UT at twice the money (my usher told me this part). he is the Voice at baseball games and works the board at football and basketball. i have heard that he loves it there.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2008, 03:05:54 pm »
From my seat, that ball was about a foot foul as it landed about 10ft behind 3b, so it was a tough call at the speed it was moving.  Paul was in the dugout, so I'll second the visual confirmation.  You think Wiggy was a little pissed off on that one to the tricep?

Noe

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2008, 03:16:51 pm »
Derek?

Derek Grubbs, former RR PA Announcer and the quick hand at propping up the video and/or audio responses to on-field action.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »

I'm not sure Wade is ready to give up on Ramirez as an everyday player.  Cheito would more likely be replaced by Gorneault, Diaz, or Abercrombie.
Goin' for a bus ride.

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2008, 03:32:57 pm »
they are not hitting at all, except for House, but would have a great sprint relay team.
I notice that you omit Diaz as hitting. Can you give your opinion of his performance that you've seen?  His numbers are as good as House's and given that he has a HR in every 11.5 MLB at bats, it seems he would warrant a look by Wade.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2008, 04:45:17 pm »

I'm friends with "the new guy." Any suggestions I can pass along?
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2008, 05:23:23 pm »
Keep the transactions and roster section of the website up to date.  Please!
Up in the Air

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2008, 05:34:33 pm »

"I'd like the ball scores a little more fucking prompt."
Purity of Essence

Noe

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »
"I'd like the ball scores a little more fucking prompt."

I was surprised that they were actually giving me update scores on the Houston Astros (and Rangers, who I don't care one iota about).  There was a time when I didn't get even one peek at a Astros score/update at the Dell.  Now, it's there... nice!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2008, 07:00:11 am »
I was surprised that they were actually giving me update scores on the Houston Astros (and Rangers, who I don't care one iota about).  There was a time when I didn't get even one peek at a Astros score/update at the Dell.  Now, it's there... nice!

I agree ... Scores for the other affiliates are nice, too (which I think used to happen more often than it does now).
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2008, 07:02:09 am »
Paul was in uniform last night.
He started last night, so rumors of his demise are (at best) premature.  I guess I never noticed that his entry in the RR roster was incomplete.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2008, 09:20:27 am »

you work up there?

i'm sure he is a nice person, but he is not any kind of replacement. he has a good voice, but he cannot get the crowd going like Derek can. his enthusiasm appears forced. the scoreboard is ALWAYS behind with player stats. his mediocrity is nothing suggestions will cure. he has the misfortune of following a superstar, and he is just ordinary. everyone who sits around me says the same thing.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2008, 09:21:54 am »
I notice that you omit Diaz as hitting. Can you give your opinion of his performance that you've seen?  His numbers are as good as House's and given that he has a HR in every 11.5 MLB at bats, it seems he would warrant a look by Wade.

right. Diaz is hitting.

fantastic outfield defense when Abercrombie, Ramirez and Diaz all play.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2008, 09:34:10 am »
right. Diaz is hitting.

fantastic outfield defense when Abercrombie, Ramirez and Diaz all play.

Jim -- How is Diaz's arm in RF?  I am not impressed with Abercrombie's, though I agree that he covers ground well.  I like him a lot better in LF.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2008, 09:39:18 am »
Jim -- How is Diaz's arm in RF?  I am not impressed with Abercrombie's, though I agree that he covers ground well.  I like him a lot better in LF.

good, but Ramirez is way better than good. i have not seen Reggie throw.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38:22 am »
you work up there?

i'm sure he is a nice person, but he is not any kind of replacement. he has a good voice, but he cannot get the crowd going like Derek can. his enthusiasm appears forced. the scoreboard is ALWAYS behind with player stats. his mediocrity is nothing suggestions will cure. he has the misfortune of following a superstar, and he is just ordinary. everyone who sits around me says the same thing.

I don't work up there on a regular basis, but I have filled in a couple of times this year running part of the scoreboard (the part that shows who is up and what he's done today, not that balls/strikes/outs/runs/hits/errors part).

Interesting re: Derek. I had only been to one Round Rock game before this one, so I'll take your word on his abilities.

When you say the scoreboard is behind on player stats -- what exactly do you mean? Are the stats behind, or the count, or what? I was surprised to find that those two things are controlled separately.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2008, 10:41:21 am »
the stats are behind the hitter who is at the plate. several pitches into his AB, the scoreboard catches up. they are not refiguring averages for each current AB either.

Derek was uncommonly good. this guy is a competent announcer but not much as a promoter. his voice has no life, and when he tries to sound excited, it sounds fake/forced.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 01:18:43 pm by JimR »

Noe

« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2008, 11:10:32 am »
good, but Ramirez is way better than good. i have not seen Reggie throw.

The game I went to, Abercrombie absolutely threw a laser to homeplate to nail a Memphis Jake Jr. player.  It think it was a slower runner than the speedy guys at the top of the lineup (third baseman as I recall).  The throw was true, online and you could hang your laundry on that frozen rope.  I was impressed.  Then, two innings later, speedier runner, same play, Abercrombie threw a lazy sort of looping throw home that missed getting the runner that I thought he had a shot at nailing.

I did see Ramirez throw from CF in the same game and wow what a great arm.  Of the two Ramirez was better at consistently throwing the ball well.  Abercrombie did show the gun that one time but had it disappear later for some odd reason.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2008, 11:18:43 am »
The game I went to, Abercrombie absolutely threw a laser to homeplate to nail a Memphis Jake Jr. player.  It think it was a slower runner than the speedy guys at the top of the lineup (third baseman as I recall).  The throw was true, online and you could hang your laundry on that frozen rope.  I was impressed.  Then, two innings later, speedier runner, same play, Abercrombie threw a lazy sort of looping throw home that missed getting the runner that I thought he had a shot at nailing.
The second version is what I saw twice in one game.  He also held the throw on what looked like it should have been an out at third.  He seems not to be engaged in the field.  Maybe taking his inability to recognize and wait for a curve ball into the field with him?  I dunno.  I do know that Memphis was taking the extra base every chance they got that game.
Up in the Air

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2008, 10:45:04 am »
Back to Nieve... is he looking like a viable ML starter?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2008, 11:52:58 am »
Anyone go to the RR game last night?  Any observations?
I say smorgasbord!

pravata

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2008, 12:36:45 pm »
Back to Nieve... is he looking like a viable ML starter?

Footer, naturally, just posted this,

"He's been a little inconsistent so far," Bennett said. "He had his struggles in the middle part of the game, in the fourth, fifth innings. Things start to fall apart for him a little bit. We're trying to get him over the hump, where he can get through those tough innings so he can get deep into games."

"A lot of it is focus, concentration," Bennett said. "Bearing down and making the pitches when he needs to. I think once he understands and learns how to do that, he'll be that much closer to what he needs to do here. The velocity's there, but the command's not quite there yet. He's still in Spring Training mode, but he's starting to progress and get in the swing of things."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080501&content_id=2621481&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2008, 01:01:26 pm »
Probably a couple of starts ago, I heard Capps on the radio say that Nieve, up to that point of the year, had thrown 90% fastballs.  I just assumed that they were being cautious with his arm/elbow, slowly building his strength back.  If so, that might explain some troubles the second time through the order.

What is the general plan for him?  I just assumed it was the bullpen rather than starting.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2008, 01:10:55 pm »
Probably a couple of starts ago, I heard Capps on the radio say that Nieve, up to that point of the year, had thrown 90% fastballs.  I just assumed that they were being cautious with his arm/elbow, slowly building his strength back.  If so, that might explain some troubles the second time through the order.

What is the general plan for him?  I just assumed it was the bullpen rather than starting.

He's got to start to get the innings.  Plus, being on a regular schedule makes more sense than having him throw irregularly.

My understanding is they still want to see what he can do as a starter.  When his command and control, esp of the off-speed stuff, returns I'd guess they'll promote him at the first opportunity.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2008, 11:39:50 pm »
Word out of Round Rock is that there are going to be some interesting names on the waiver wire tomorrow... reportedly, some of Wade's off-season minor league FA signees to be released... not sure if it's because of contractual out-clauses (i.e., May 1st), performance, or both.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 02, 2008, 08:07:12 am »
Well considering that none of them are doing anything offensively then the Express won't be missing much.

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2008, 10:51:15 am »
according to the RR website, Niekro and Diaz released... Paz up from Corpus Christi. http://www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?pageId=21

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:35 am »
Diaz? wow.

sorry about Niekro.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:08 am »
That list says that Klassen went on the DL on 4/29. I missed that; what happened to him?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2008, 11:04:37 am »
according to the RR website, Niekro and Diaz released... Paz up from Corpus Christi. http://www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?pageId=21

Interesting.  Lose 2 position players and get only 1 new one leaving the team with just 3 regular outfielders.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2008, 11:34:03 am »
Interesting.  Lose 2 position players and get only 1 new one leaving the team with just 3 regular outfielders.

Newhan will probably be the 4th OF ... Klassen can also play OF when he comes off the DL, and given the "-2 +1" above, that might be soon.

Meanwhile, Paz was really tearing up AA pitching.  Hope he continues at RR.
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2008, 11:41:55 am »
Wonder if the extra spot means Soler is close to joining the team?

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2008, 12:22:14 pm »

I really don't understand the logic behind releasing Diaz.  Was he having trouble in the OF?  For a team that has BA of .220, why do you release the guy with the highest AVG (.296)?
I say smorgasbord!

Noe

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »
I really don't understand the logic behind releasing Diaz.  Was he having trouble in the OF?  For a team that has BA of .220, why do you release the guy with the highest AVG (.296)?

Sometimes, the contracts that a NRI minor league player free agent signs has a clause that says if the player cannot make the team out of spring training, they will accept a one month assignment to the minors.  At the beginning of the month of May, if they have not been called up to the major league club, they then become free agents in order to try and find a job in the majors.

I think this is how Houston signed Ron Villone the first time they acquired him.  He signed a make good NRI contract with Seattle (if I remember correctly), went to Tacoma for a month, and in May he was released and Houston signed him to a major league contract.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2008, 02:01:19 pm »
Sometimes, the contracts that a NRI minor league player free agent signs has a clause that says if the player cannot make the team out of spring training, they will accept a one month assignment to the minors.

Ahh, thanks.  Should've thought of that.
I say smorgasbord!

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
That list says that Klassen went on the DL on 4/29. I missed that; what happened to him?

I have no personal knowledge about Klassen's injury.  However, I have heard it described as a serious (i.e., potentially season-ending) elbow injury.  But, I hope I'm hearing bad or premature information and that Danny is not seriously injured.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:36 pm »
I have no personal knowledge about Klassen's injury.  However, I have heard it described as a serious (i.e., potentially season-ending) elbow injury.  But, I hope I'm hearing bad or premature information and that Danny is not seriously injured.

I hope so too.  At his age and stage (and with his history), "season ending" probably means "career ending".
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »
Hey I'll try to find out the deal.  My best friend is one of the chaplain's for the team. 

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2008, 04:41:42 pm »

Just got a response from Mike Capps:

No one knows..hasnt had MRI
I say smorgasbord!

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
I was sitting behind three of the 51's starters who were charting pitches at the game last night.  I leaned over and kidded them that they should be fined if they ever threw anything to Abercrombie or Ramirez that wasn't in the dirt and/or low and away.  "Yeah, that's pretty much what our pitching coach told us," one of them replied.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2008, 07:10:42 pm »
i watched all 10 innings today, during which the Exopress blasted out 2 hits. that offense is worse than anemic.

Hernandez threw very well.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2008, 02:56:41 pm »
i watched all 10 innings today, during which the Exopress blasted out 2 hits. that offense is worse than anemic.

And, predictably so.  When you compile a lineup which consists almost exclusively of the same kind of hitter--i.e., RH, big swinging, low-BA, low-OBP, high-K, low pitches/AB hitters--why should you expect a different result?

I don't pretend to be unbiased in this discussion, but the lack of consistent offense at Round Rock is a direct product of the organization's "calculated" personnel decisions.  What's ironic is that the only two guys hitting on the Express team (Sacc and House) are two of the only holdovers from the Purpura regime.

I'm sure that Reid Ryan loves fielding a team that wins at a .330 clip and contains neither "prospects" nor fan favorites.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2008, 03:04:34 pm »
And, predictably so.  When you compile a lineup which consists almost exclusively of the same kind of hitter--i.e., RH, big swinging, low-BA, low-OBP, high-K, low pitches/AB hitters--why should you expect a different result?

I don't pretend to be unbiased in this discussion, but the lack of consistent offense at Round Rock is a direct product of the organization's "calculated" personnel decisions.  What's ironic is that the only two guys hitting on the Express team (Sacc and House) are two of the only holdovers from the Purpura regime.

I'm sure that Reid Ryan loves fielding a team that wins at a .330 clip and contains neither "prospects" nor fan favorites.

well, maybe, but there are lots of other types of hitters on that team, and they are hitting .195 also.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2008, 06:20:41 pm »
well, maybe, but there are lots of other types of hitters on that team, and they are hitting .195 also.

As always, Jim, I'm interested to hear your thoughts based on your first-hand observations of the Express.  It seems to me that Ramirez, Abercrombie, Diaz, Niekro, Saccommano, etc. all fall (perhaps to slightly varying degrees) into the category of hitter that I described above.  Gorneault and House have certainly shown an increased aptitude for plate discipline and contact, but even Gorneault appears to be slipping back into the pack as of late.   Whom do you see in Round Rock who actually brings a calculated approach to the plate?  House? Newhan?

I've heard various front office types preach patience, plate discipline, OBP, strike zone judgment, etc. as the organization's model hitting approach for years, but I've almost never seen it manifested in the personnel whom they actually choose to put on the field.  But, again, I'm biased in this conversation...

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2008, 06:27:29 pm »
As always, Jim, I'm interested to hear your thoughts based on your first-hand observations of the Express.  It seems to me that Ramirez, Abercrombie, Diaz, Niekro, Saccommano, etc. all fall (perhaps to slightly varying degrees) into the category of hitter that I described above.  Gorneault and House have certainly shown an increased aptitude for plate discipline and contact, but even Gorneault appears to be slipping back into the pack as of late.   Whom do you see in Round Rock who actually brings a calculated approach to the plate?  House? Newhan?

I've heard various front office types preach patience, plate discipline, OBP, strike zone judgment, etc. as the organization's model hitting approach for years, but I've almost never seen it manifested in the personnel whom they actually choose to put on the field.  But, again, I'm biased in this conversation...

i would never put Saccamano in the same category as Abercrombie. i would not put Ramirez there, either. in my opinion, Abercrombie is Jimerson all over again--see the ball...or not, flail at the ball. we laugh about that where i sit. Ramirez is a step down from that, but undisciplined too. Niekro was a sentimental signing, imo. he had no bat speed in the games i saw, not really undisciplined.

my opinion of professional hitters is you can't tell them anything. they know it all.

geauxmetal

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 09:26:26 pm »
I apologize if this has been discussed already but I havn't been following RR as much this year.  Those BA's are disgusting!  WOW!  That new GM cleaned a little too much house I guess?  Hey.  I know a First Base Coach in CC that would RR's team BA.  Nice moves Mr. Wade.  ???

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2008, 07:48:55 am »
the express transaction page shows Randolph traded to the Phillies and Middleton called up from Corpus(removed from Disabled List)

Andyzipp

« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:22 am »
I apologize if this has been discussed already but I havn't been following RR as much this year.  Those BA's are disgusting!  WOW!  That new GM cleaned a little too much house I guess?  Hey.  I know a First Base Coach in CC that would RR's team BA.  Nice moves Mr. Wade.  ???

The responsibility of a MLB General Manager is not to field a competitive team at AAA.  If you're concerned that there's no apparent help on the farm, that's valid, but how else did you expect WadeSmith to pick up Tejada, Bourne, Valverde, Villareal and Geary?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2008, 09:21:36 am »

i guess you should read more and post less if this is the best you can do.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2008, 09:32:09 am »
...  I havn't been following RR as much this year.  ...
Apologies notwithstanding, next time you are tempted to start a post with the above, just quit.  RMPL.
Up in the Air

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:06 am »
the express transaction page shows Randolph traded to the Phillies and Middleton called up from Corpus(removed from Disabled List)

Cabrera'd

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.php?topic=105674.0
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2008, 11:49:18 am »
whoops! my bad... I guess I was so surprised that they were able to trade Randolph that I forgot to check all the threads.  With Byrdak, Wright, and probably McClemore ahead of him, plus he's 34? It seems like anything they can get  for him even cash to pay a draft pick is a bonus.  Maybe Ed Wade has an operative in the Phillies office.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:07:31 pm by farmstros »

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:18 pm »
Just heard Capps say Nieve was taken out after pitching one inning.  Cassel in to pitch hit for Nieve in 2nd.  Some injury - not sure what.  Gothreaux went one inning, RunElvys pitching in 3rd.   Hernandez was getting ready, but Gothreaux stayed in.  Still pitching in Bot 4.

Gameday

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:55:45 pm by jonbloozy »
I say smorgasbord!

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2008, 01:15:23 pm »
Just heard Capps say Nieve was taken out after pitching one inning.  Cassel in to pitch hit for Nieve in 2nd.  Some injury - not sure what.  Gothreaux went one inning, RunElvys pitching in 3rd.   Hernandez was getting ready, but Gothreaux stayed in.  Still pitching in Bot 4.

Gameday

I clicked on the Listen Live box on the RR site, but am getting an ESPN show.  Does anyone have a link??
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2008, 01:47:34 pm »
Link

Click on the KZNX (Away) link for our guys.  It will ask for your email and password, so you may have to register (it's free) to listen.  This is also where they show videos of select games.
I say smorgasbord!

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2008, 01:55:05 pm »
Link

Click on the KZNX (Away) link for our guys.  It will ask for your email and password, so you may have to register (it's free) to listen.  This is also where they show videos of select games.

Muchas Gracias.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2008, 09:04:10 am »
Nieve left after one inning yesterday [not 2 as per the summary] ... pinch hit for in the top of the 2nd.  He had a pretty ugly line, but not enough to justify a quick hook.

Any word on whether he was hurt?  A short start can sometimes also mean that he is slated for a call-up, but that does not seem likely in this case.
Up in the Air

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2008, 03:01:51 pm »
Nieve left after one inning yesterday [not 2 as per the summary] ... pinch hit for in the top of the 2nd.  He had a pretty ugly line, but not enough to justify a quick hook.

Any word on whether he was hurt?  A short start can sometimes also mean that he is slated for a call-up, but that does not seem likely in this case.

It was not clear why he left.  I don't think it was due to his performance.  I'd be surprised if it was due to a call-up. 

Thinking back, I think yesterday was the 3rd time in 4 games that it was kids-day at the ballpark.  Maybe he was just tired off all the noise from the children.  They sure sounded obnoxious.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2008, 03:13:14 pm »
It was not clear why he left.  I don't think it was due to his performance.  I'd be surprised if it was due to a call-up. 

Thinking back, I think yesterday was the 3rd time in 4 games that it was kids-day at the ballpark.  Maybe he was just tired off all the noise from the children.  They sure sounded obnoxious.

So ... would I be correct in summarizing the above with the phrase:  "I don't know"?
Up in the Air

pravata

« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »

as would I,

Wade said. “We have a couple of alternantives there if we get to that point [of needing to call up a starter]. Nieve needs to get stretched out and show he can go deep into games.”
http://www.spikesnstars.com/2008/05/09/wandy-way-away-what-about-the-other-times-coop-and-1-super-guy-weighs-in/

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
So ... would I be correct in summarizing the above with the phrase:  "I don't know"?

There is a possibility he has developed whooping cough.  Or he may have eaten some bad cheese the night before.  Rumors on the InterWeb suggest he had a tiff with Dave Clark for not rolling the "r" in Fernando.  PitchFx indicates his velocity was down and his movement was up.  Also, the temperature in Colorado Springs was 66 degrees.  And it was a Thursday.  But really, I don't know.  
I say smorgasbord!

pravata

« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2008, 03:28:29 pm »
When you're in a hole, stop digging

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2008, 03:35:55 pm »
When you're in a hole, stop digging

Don't know 'bout that. Drew a chuckle from the noob gallery here on the left coast...

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
There is a possibility he has developed whooping cough.  Or he may have eaten some bad cheese the night before.  Rumors on the InterWeb suggest he had a tiff with Dave Clark for not rolling the "r" in Fernando.  PitchFx indicates his velocity was down and his movement was up.  Also, the temperature in Colorado Springs was 66 degrees.  And it was a Thursday.  But really, I don't know.  
When you don't have anything to say, it's OK not to say it.
Up in the Air

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2008, 04:30:15 pm »
When you don't have anything to say, it's OK not to say it.

Does this also cover Cabrera?

Nieve left after one inning yesterday [not 2 as per the summary] ... pinch hit for in the top of the 2nd.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2008, 04:56:42 pm »
Does this also cover Cabrera?

When all else fails, change the subject.

WFW
Up in the Air

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 09, 2008, 07:46:11 pm »

Capps is saying asthma problems, altitude was getting to him.

Good news.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2008, 05:48:09 pm »
Capps is saying asthma problems, altitude was getting to him.

Good news.
Thanks for the info.
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:31 am »
Carlos Hines is in on the Express why?  He is horrible.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2008, 10:18:06 am »

I don't know.  Maybe Noe does.

RR is populated by hanger ons this year.  At the All Star Break, I expect some upward movement and some of these guys will be given their walking papers. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:04 am »

he has not been terrible every time. he actually has pretty good stuff, but the night i saw him, he was very wild.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 13, 2008, 10:29:13 am »
Thanks Jim.  I haven't seen him pitch yet, just read the box scores for him.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2008, 10:47:13 am »
Thanks Jim.  I haven't seen him pitch yet, just read the box scores for him.

he throws very hard...or did the night i was there. he had a bad inning because of wildness.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2008, 12:34:08 pm »
he throws very hard...or did the night i was there. he had a bad inning because of wildness.

I think this is the game you saw: 0.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 BB (BTW, I always appreciate your first-hand observations).  Capps describes him as all arms and legs.  He has had some pretty decent appearances, and has choked in some others.  His 5.75 ERA (20.1 IP) isn't too far off the team average for relief pitchers (5.82 by my calculations), so we can't say he's the only reason for their terrible record. 

There is an interesting piece on the RR website about close games this year.   

Carlos Hines.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2008, 01:38:02 pm »
I think this is the game you saw: 0.1 IP, 4 ER, 3 BB (BTW, I always appreciate your first-hand observations).  Capps describes him as all arms and legs.  He has had some pretty decent appearances, and has choked in some others.  His 5.75 ERA (20.1 IP) isn't too far off the team average for relief pitchers (5.82 by my calculations), so we can't say he's the only reason for their terrible record. 

Cabrera made a similar observation ...

He looks like he ought to be getting better results than he does.  93/94/95 on the fastball with at least one off-speed pitch in the low 80's that was thrown for strikes.  But he gets tattooed regularly.
Up in the Air

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:45 am »
The AAS reports that Victor Diaz signed with the Mariners and is at Tacoma.  FWIW.
Purity of Essence

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2008, 01:54:57 pm »
Sometimes, the contracts that a NRI minor league player free agent signs has a clause that says if the player cannot make the team out of spring training, they will accept a one month assignment to the minors.  At the beginning of the month of May, if they have not been called up to the major league club, they then become free agents in order to try and find a job in the majors.

I think this is how Houston signed Ron Villone the first time they acquired him.  He signed a make good NRI contract with Seattle (if I remember correctly), went to Tacoma for a month, and in May he was released and Houston signed him to a major league contract.

Diaz recently signed with Seattle.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2008, 01:57:19 pm »

Any word if we're gonna get a player or the the usual...cash considerations.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
05-16-08 Express v I-Cubs
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2008, 10:35:53 pm »
Instead of making the drive up to Round Rock for the game as planned, I got stuck at work with the same problem as a few NL teams (don't have any good closers)

I listened to Mike Capps instead (sorry JD, I was watching, and the volume was turned up on all the other Tvs).

Capps had some really good stuff tonight.  Great baseball trivia.  I really enjoy listening to him. 

Not so sure about the color of Skip Hall.  Needs to skip on outta the Carpets by Conrad Booth(tm).  Here's a snippet:

"Interesting to watch Houston here, cause when he's good, he's good, and when he's not good, he's not good"

Muecke pitched another gem, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 K

Sadler, in his first game in RR, had a HR in 2nd and a pair of OF nice plays.  (1-3, 1 HR, 1 BB, 1 K)

Q had a temper tantrum and broke his bat (he was 0-4 with a pair of lobsters)

Felix "with the gold chain workin'" Pie went 0-4, HBP, 2 R 

RR wins 3rd straight.  Muecke is now 3-2.  Capps mentioned an article in the Comical that quoted Ricky Bennet as saying "Muecke will pitch in the Big Leagues, it's just a matter of when" (or something to that effect, don't have a link, and I'm not a subscriber)
I say smorgasbord!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: 05-16-08 Express v I-Cubs
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2008, 02:27:43 pm »
Instead of making the drive up to Round Rock for the game as planned, I got stuck at work with the same problem as a few NL teams (don't have any good closers)

I listened to Mike Capps instead (sorry JD, I was watching, and the volume was turned up on all the other Tvs).

Capps had some really good stuff tonight.  Great baseball trivia.  I really enjoy listening to him. 

Not so sure about the color of Skip Hall.  Needs to skip on outta the Carpets by Conrad Booth(tm).  Here's a snippet:

"Interesting to watch Houston here, cause when he's good, he's good, and when he's not good, he's not good"

Muecke pitched another gem, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 K

Sadler, in his first game in RR, had a HR in 2nd and a pair of OF nice plays.  (1-3, 1 HR, 1 BB, 1 K)

Q had a temper tantrum and broke his bat (he was 0-4 with a pair of lobsters)

Felix "with the gold chain workin'" Pie went 0-4, HBP, 2 R 

RR wins 3rd straight.  Muecke is now 3-2.  Capps mentioned an article in the Comical that quoted Ricky Bennet as saying "Muecke will pitch in the Big Leagues, it's just a matter of when" (or something to that effect, don't have a link, and I'm not a subscriber)

if you are talking about Skip Baldwin, he is a buffoon tv guy. he is terrible as a color man.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
Re: 05-16-08 Express v I-Cubs
« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2008, 03:25:35 pm »
if you are talking about Skip Baldwin, he is a buffoon tv guy. he is terrible as a color man.

Must have got the name wrong.  Whatever his name is, he's terrible.  Capps stayed professional, but I imagine he was wanting to strangle Skip.
I say smorgasbord!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2008, 04:24:48 pm »
TV sports guy that, i surmise, was a Ryan hire. he is worse than awful.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »
RR website now lists Jorge Sosa as "added" to the roster via free agency and "deleted" to the inactive list.  I guess they are going to wait a couple of days to make some roster decisions.  No official info on the website re: "Burger" King or Bork.  I exchanged emails with the webmaster a few weeks ago, though, and it seems they often do not know about roster moves until the very last minute.
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »
Jared Gothreaux has been released.  Chance Douglass sent down to Corpus.  Borkowski to Round Rock.

www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?pageId=21

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2008, 08:59:33 pm »
Tommy Manzella  has been promoted to Round Rock according to the Express website.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Tommy Manzella  has been promoted to Round Rock according to the Express website.

Apparently, Cabrera is a Hooks fan.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2008, 08:46:08 am »
Is Nieve still hurt?  Anyone know?  I didn't see the game but he gave up a 5 spot in the 7th.  Including 2 jacks.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 11, 2008, 08:54:04 am »
Is Nieve still hurt?  Anyone know?  I didn't see the game but he gave up a 5 spot in the 7th.  Including 2 jacks.

Don't know for sure but I am thinking he is.  Either physically injured or forgotten how to pitch.  There has to be some explanation

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2008, 09:29:45 am »
Apparently, Cabrera is a Hooks fan.

Statesman says he was able to tell his mother that he had made it to AAA before she died.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2008, 10:05:47 am »
Don't know for sure but I am thinking he is.  Either physically injured or forgotten how to pitch.  There has to be some explanation

my small sample observation: he is too much over the top, which straightens out his FB. someone get word to Burt to drop his arm angle down.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:48 am »
It seems like something is wrong for sure.  Thanks Jim.  Have you seen Chance Douglass pitch?  I've met him and his new wife and they're great people. 

Noe

« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:01 am »
It seems like something is wrong for sure.  Thanks Jim.  Have you seen Chance Douglass pitch?  I've met him and his new wife and they're great people. 

Not Jim, but I missed an opportunity to watch him pitch in RR because he wasn't here long enough.  His last start in Corpus, as I understand it, was outstanding.  Chance may be making some strides to be the next Chad Qualls for Houston, maybe a back of the rotation type of starter.  Some kids are developing this year so this is turning out to be fun to follow. Nothing in terms of stud prospect mind you, but nice player/pitchers starting to emerge.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2008, 10:30:54 am »

yes, but not this year. i have no idea of the organization's expectations, but he looked pretty ordinary to me last year.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2008, 12:07:04 pm »
This is a few days late, but I've been gone for a week.  (Don't discount what others says about Everclear)

Free video of RR games June 5, June 6, June 7, June 8

Haven't watched 'em all yet . . . they are kinda nice to have in the background while at work.  Maybe someone can spot something wrong with Nosebleed Nieve.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2008, 05:52:21 pm »
Newhan has been promoted to the bigs.  I wonder who they willpromote from CC?

Is Val Majewski good enough to go to AAA or will they promote one of the erstwhile regulars (Hart/Iorg/Einertson)?

I'm leaning toward the new guy (or maybe another dose of Richard Paz) as the most likely.
Up in the Air

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:58 pm »
Newhan has been promoted to the bigs.  I wonder who they willpromote from CC?

Is Val Majewski good enough to go to AAA or will they promote one of the erstwhile regulars (Hart/Iorg/Einertson)?

I'm leaning toward the new guy (or maybe another dose of Richard Paz) as the most likely.

Hart is hurt.  Irog and Einertson don't need to be anywhere near AAA pitching.  They're both already struggling mightily against the AA variety.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2008, 05:52:49 am »
Jackson Melian (OF), recently released by Tigers org, was signed to Minor Contract and assigned to Round Rock.  He is a 12 year minor league vet.  Has been in the Yankees (x2), Braves, Reds, Brewers, Cubs, and Tigers orgs.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2008, 12:05:54 am »
Jackson Melian (OF), recently released by Tigers org, was signed to Minor Contract and assigned to Round Rock.  He is a 12 year minor league vet.  Has been in the Yankees (x2), Braves, Reds, Brewers, Cubs, and Tigers orgs.

I remember when this guy was the next big thing in the Yankee system.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2008, 12:39:48 pm »

I remember when this guy was the next big thing in the Yankee system.
see Leedee, Ricky, also Rivera, Ruben, also Spencer, Shane, and Hensen, Drew, also, well, a ton of guys who were probably a tad overhyped.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2008, 11:28:25 am »
What happened that sent Cassel to the DL?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:22 am »
What happened that sent Cassel to the DL?

Not sure but Cooper is, according to JdJO, is considering him as a spot starter if Roy can't go.  So it mustn't be to bad or is almost healed.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:02 am »
Not sure but Cooper is, according to JdJO, is considering him as a spot starter if Roy can't go.  So it mustn't be to bad or is almost healed.

That's what confused me. I just saw the DL move listed here today, but I didn't know which came first -- the injury or the consideration for spot starting.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 02, 2008, 12:59:18 pm »
He went on the DL 6/20 so he is eligible to come off as the Minor Leagues have 7 day DL.

It was a sore back that put him on the DL
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 01:04:39 pm by Duman »

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:15 pm »
Lou Santangelo has been called up to RR to take Towles place

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2008, 01:40:55 pm »
Lou Santangelo has been called up to RR to take Towles place

Put up windmills and send Abercrombie back down and that'll take care of immediate energy concerns in central Texas.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #197 on: July 03, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »
I see Micah Bowie on the RR roster.  WTF? 
Purity of Essence

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:34 pm »
Yeah he was released by Colorado.  He lives in Georgetown so I am not surprised.  He might be protection if Villarreal doesn't accept the assignment.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »
I see Micah Bowie on the RR roster.  WTF? 

From today's Game Notes

With Borkowski gone, LHP Micah Bowie was signed by Houston late Tuesday and assigned to
Round Rock after being released by Colorado. In 10 games for Colorado, Bowie was 0-1 with
a 9.00 ERA. Catcher J.R. Towles’ departure Tuesday also cleared room for Catcher Lou
Santangelo to join Round Rock from Double-A Corpus Christi where he was hitting .233 with
five home runs and 19 RBI.
I say smorgasbord!

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:58 pm »
From today's Game Notes

Odds and ends from the Thursday night RR victory:

Santangelo bounces around a lot behind the plate.  Notable difference between watching him and Ausmus.

Nolan was in attendance in the owner's box.  Don't know if he was just there to see the fireworks along with the grandkids or to further his demonic plot to inflict Arena League baseball on the Central Texas area.

Heard a rumor that Sugarland will host the Astros AAA.  Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?

The official scorer at Round Rock is an enthusiastic user of peyote buttons.

Muecke is not a bad little lefthander.  He usually keeps the ball down, checks runners, and grabs his crotch whenever possible.

I met Mr. and Mrs. austro along with the younger austro daughter.  Swell people, both Rice grads who take pity on your pathetic little minds.  We discussed baseball along with the need to drink beer and play golf or vice versa.

There were fireworks, funnel cakes, chicken dances, a nice fit thrown by the Isotopes manager, and half price Shiners.  Not a bad night.
Purity of Essence

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2008, 09:08:03 am »
Odds and ends from the Thursday night RR victory:

Santangelo bounces around a lot behind the plate.  Notable difference between watching him and Ausmus.

Nolan was in attendance in the owner's box.  Don't know if he was just there to see the fireworks along with the grandkids or to further his demonic plot to inflict Arena League baseball on the Central Texas area.

Heard a rumor that Sugarland will host the Astros AAA.  Bueller?  Bueller?  Anyone?

The official scorer at Round Rock is an enthusiastic user of peyote buttons.

Muecke is not a bad little lefthander.  He usually keeps the ball down, checks runners, and grabs his crotch whenever possible.

I met Mr. and Mrs. austro along with the younger austro daughter.  Swell people, both Rice grads who take pity on your pathetic little minds.  We discussed baseball along with the need to drink beer and play golf or vice versa.

There were fireworks, funnel cakes, chicken dances, a nice fit thrown by the Isotopes manager, and half price Shiners.  Not a bad night.

It was a very nice evening out there. 12,000+ people in attendance. I have never seen the parking lot so full: it was full of vehicles all the way to the western edge of the lot.

A dozen or so young folks took their Army oath of enlistment before the game. At least one of those received his Army regulation buzz cut down behind home plate during the game.

Muecke gave up two no-doubt homers early but then settled down. By and large he seemed to keep the ball down well. One of those homers was to Dallas MacPherson, and it was his 30th (!), so it's kind of hard to hold that against Muecke.

This was the first time I had seen Santangelo. I was expecting someone more "solid", given his PED bust last year, but he's got the same slender build as Towles. He hit his homer hard, though.

It was fun to meet Taras. But a word of warning to the rest of you: it looks like he keeps himself in better shape than the average bear, so don't let him talk you into giving him any strokes on the golf course.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 04, 2008, 01:10:54 pm »
Taras is anorexic and turns down all offers of free beer.

i can throw as hard as Muecke does, but the guy gets by. i'm suspecting a deal with the devil.

holler at me sometime, austro. we can meet up out there. my seats are in 124, and i always have tickets available.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2008, 05:24:53 pm »
Mark Saccomanno named to the PCL All-Star Team, joining Josh Muecke as representatives for Round Rock.  The game is scheduled for July 16 at 6:00PM CST in Louisville. (ESPN2)

Link
I say smorgasbord!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »
Mark and i are going out Sat night. anty TZers going to be there?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2008, 07:28:47 pm »
Mark and i are going out Sat night. anty TZers going to be there?

Not tomorrow night. I just checked my tickets and my next set isn't until the 27th. I may have to pick up something on the spot market before then.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:38 am »
Some great pitching last night - too bad Sosa couldn't hang on. 

You know that move, where after a swing and miss the batter kinda flips the bat in the air and then comes around real fast with the other hand and catches it?  Abercrombie is real good at that move.
I say smorgasbord!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 15, 2008, 09:41:22 am »
Some great pitching last night - too bad Sosa couldn't hang on. 

You know that move, where after a swing and miss the batter kinda flips the bat in the air and then comes around real fast with the other hand and catches it?  Abercrombie is real good at that move.
Practice makes perfect.  Its all about the reps.
Up in the Air

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #208 on: July 15, 2008, 09:51:56 am »
Practice makes perfect.  Its all about the reps.

We endorse this post.

Yours truly,
Windmills of America
Purity of Essence

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:41 am »
Speaking of the Astros signing old pitchers for Round Rock,  I did a quick check of the average ages of the pitching staffs in Houston and Round Rock(not including Disabled Lists and with Runelyvs in Houston). I've actually wondered about this for a few weeks as Round Rock brings in Chiavacci, King, Sosa, etc., and finally put pen to paper.

The Astros pitchers average age is 31.3
The Express pitchers average age is 29.5
Youngest Express is Nieve at 25

Round Rock has five pitchers out of 11 currently active 30 plus

Just a little trivia.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2008, 07:24:52 am »
Jim Brower on the Express.  When did this happen?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brower (S%2C 6)&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=150342

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2008_07_20_rreaaa_omaaaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb  Pitched today

This is in response to Ryan Houston & Kyle Middleton going on the DL.  As for the actual date, it hasn't made it to the RR web site transaction list.  So it was after the 15th.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2008, 11:57:29 am »
According to Mike Capps, Brower had an out in his contract and became a free agent when the Cubs wouldn't promote him.  I didn't catch when he was signed by Round Rock, though.
I say smorgasbord!

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
Signed the 18th according to the RR transaction page.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2008, 08:25:21 am »
Jorge Sosa no longer on the Express.  Opted out of his deal.  Bottom of page.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/5902575.htm

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:52 am »
Sosa can help someone.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2008, 08:35:57 am »
I was really hoping he could get a chance with the Stros.  Hey I haven't seen him pitch yet, but based on his numbers Micah Bowie doesn't look good. Is he hurt?  He was serviceable for the Nationals last year.  One more do you think Chance Douglass is up to stay?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:57 am »
i saw Bowie and Brower last night. Both threw pretty well. Brower's defense let him down early, and he allowed a couple of hard hit balls late.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:51 am »
i saw Bowie and Brower last night. Both threw pretty well. Brower's defense let him down early, and he allowed a couple of hard hit balls late.

All they needed was a trapeze and a bear riding a unicycle to complete the circus that was the Express defense.

I did get a Mr. Potato Head out of the deal.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:23 am »
All they needed was a trapeze and a bear riding a unicycle to complete the circus that was the Express defense.

I did get a Mr. Potato Head out of the deal.

thanks for dropping by.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2008, 08:46:37 pm »
thanks for dropping by.

I was with customers in section 113.  I did spy you across the field, though, relentlessly heckling the opposing team.
Purity of Essence

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2008, 08:17:14 am »
That's also where Oscar Villarreal ended up as well

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2008, 10:33:25 am »
Cassell is lucky that runs aren't awarded according to home run distance: he gave up two monsters last night (both solo). The first one landed somewhere deep in the home run porch, and the second bounced off one of the signs on top of the home run porch. But those were the only runs scored by Sacramento.

Does anybody know if the Gaetti playing for Sacramento is Gary's son? He's got the same stocky build.

Manzella played SS last night and looked decent, although he didn't have that many chances. His arm looked pretty solid.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2008, 12:04:28 pm »

Japan, or Seattle?

So did the Astros actually make money off Brower?

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2008, 12:31:37 pm »
Does anybody know if the Gaetti playing for Sacramento is Gary's son? He's got the same stocky build.

Apparently so

http://www.sacbee.com/349/story/1014594.html
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 28, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »

I think that article is how much Brower signed for.  My guess is that he could get out of his AAA when he wanted.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2008, 02:03:10 pm »

I think that article is how much Brower signed for.  My guess is that he could get out of his AAA when he wanted.

Ahh - my mistake; I didn't read the article. Thanks.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2008, 02:15:46 pm »

Doesn't Purpura work for the Seattle Mariners now? 
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2008, 02:24:10 pm »

Minor league baseball.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19:32 pm »

That is where he was rumored to be going to work before he got the gig in the Minor League Baseball office

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2008, 12:04:58 pm »
Statesman says Chris Johnson to RR and Ash down to CC.  Look forward to watching him.
Purity of Essence

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:22 pm »
Statesman says Chris Johnson to RR and Ash down to CC.  Look forward to watching him.

I was wondering if they were going to pull the trigger or have him finish a successful year at CC.  He homered last night is his first action since coming back from flu like symptoms.

Watch for footwork issues defensively and ability to lay off off-speed pitches offensively.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »

Ash seemed both overmatched and underused.  It will be good to see CJ in RR.  And thanks to Jacksonian for tips on what to look for.
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2008, 01:17:18 pm »
Me too.  I'd love to see Johnson play.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2008, 01:34:27 pm »
Anybody see Johnson last night?  0-3 and an E5, so not all that good on paper.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
Anybody see Johnson last night?  0-3 and an E5, so not all that good on paper.

yes, i did. he hit at least one ball hard right at the 3B. i was talking to Noe and missed the first AB. the E5 was a bad throw after a great play going to his left. he rushed the throw without setting his feet. the buzz at the Dell was "what does this mean for Saccamano."

great 1:49 1-0 game last night.

Noe

« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2008, 05:23:51 pm »
yes, i did. he hit at least one ball hard right at the 3B. i was talking to Noe and missed the first AB. the E5 was a bad throw after a great play going to his left. he rushed the throw without setting his feet. the buzz at the Dell was "what does this mean for Saccamano."

great 1:49 1-0 game last night.

My teenager asked me if games usually go that fast and my quick reply was "no".  "Too bad, that was fun!" he retorts.  I think my son is going to be a very good baseball fan if he thinks a nice quick well pitched, quality defensive game is "great!".

BTW - Johnson was not given an error on the throw when he laid out and stopped a ball going to his right?  I guess that was ruled a hit instead of a throwing error?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2008, 07:50:42 am »
yes.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2008, 03:38:03 pm »
Astros claimed RHP Alberto Arias off waivers from the Colorado Rockies.  He's been optioned to round rock.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_MLB.aspx

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:57 am »
Anyone know the pitching matchups for tomorrow nights game (Sat, Aug 9)?  Hunter Pence Bobbleheads and Texas Exes burnt orange jersey night, wa-hoo!
RO RASROS!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2008, 12:11:01 pm »
Anyone know the pitching matchups for tomorrow nights game (Sat, Aug 9)?  Hunter Pence Bobbleheads and Texas Exes burnt orange jersey night, wa-hoo!
just speculation, but it looks like Josh Miller will be on rotation (assuming 'elvys goes tonight).
Up in the Air

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »
just speculation, but it looks like Josh Miller will be on rotation (assuming 'elvys goes tonight).

Today's game notes agree with you; Runelvys tonight and Miller tomorrow
I say smorgasbord!

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »
Micah Bowie released from Round Rock

http://www.roundrockexpress.com/default.asp?pageId=21

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2008, 05:01:04 pm »
going out tonight, TZers. section 124, R5, seat1

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2008, 06:11:41 pm »
Have fun wish I was going.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 10, 2008, 12:46:57 pm »
Hoffpauir with 4 HRs. wow.

and a very controversial triple play.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 05:16:57 pm by JimR »

OregonStrosFan

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 10, 2008, 10:30:36 pm »
Hoffpauir with 4 HRs. wow.

and a very controversial triple play.

Sure looked like he dropped it in the replay... LINK

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:27 am »
Sure looked like he dropped it in the replay... LINK

he did drop it, but the ump said he held it long enough.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »
I noticed that Hernandez only pitched two innings in last night's game (8/13). Has anybody heard a reason for that?

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2008, 07:34:50 pm »
I noticed that Hernandez only pitched two innings in last night's game (8/13). Has anybody heard a reason for that?

Emotions?  Attitude?

Just watched the first couple innings here.  Hernandez had pretty good stuff.  Runelvys did walk off the mound prematurely three times, anticipating a strike three call.  Announcers said after his last strikeout, he glared at the homeplate ump. 

In BOT 2, he hit a grounder back to the pitcher and didn't bother to take a step towards first.  Announcers say, "not even the obligatory jog . . . that may be the worst ever."  They also say Round Rock immediately had  Arias start warming up in the pen after Runelvys walked directly back to the dugout.  Ron Jackson was filling in for Clarkie, who was out for personal reasons.
I say smorgasbord!

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:13 pm »
Emotions?  Attitude?

Just watched the first couple innings here.  Hernandez had pretty good stuff.  Runelvys did walk off the mound prematurely three times, anticipating a strike three call.  Announcers said after his last strikeout, he glared at the homeplate ump. 

In BOT 2, he hit a grounder back to the pitcher and didn't bother to take a step towards first.  Announcers say, "not even the obligatory jog . . . that may be the worst ever."  They also say Round Rock immediately had  Arias start warming up in the pen after Runelvys walked directly back to the dugout.  Ron Jackson was filling in for Clarkie, who was out for personal reasons.

I'd like to see Runelvys have the opportunity of not running to first with the Independent league team in Shitass, Arkansas.
Purity of Essence

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:12 pm »
Goin' for a bus ride.

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2008, 05:44:07 pm »
Was listening to the better version of it from Mike Capps earlier.  He said Dave Clark had just arrived and saw the whole thing.  Burt Hooten had a little talk with Runelvys in the dugout (TOP 3).  Runelvys then heads towards the clubhouse, knocking over a water cooler on his way.  They were still cleaning it up in the 4th.
I say smorgasbord!

Towlie

• Veteran Role Player
  • Ahhh, Radiohead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
Hmm Alberto Arias can be a starter too? I thought he was just a relief pitcher either way hes pitching tonight for Round Rock.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2008, 09:44:00 am »
Ray King, any one think he might get a look in September?  He's left-handed and has a pulse, so he is a candidate for the bullpen.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2008, 10:10:47 am »
Ray King, any one think he might get a look in September?  He's left-handed and has a pulse, so he is a candidate for the bullpen.

I know he has a pulse, but does pumping gravy instead of blood throw it off?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2008, 10:17:33 am »
I know he has a pulse, but does pumping gravy instead of blood throw it off?

actually, he's been pretty good.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2008, 01:55:14 pm »
I know this may be a bit premature, but with the Express season winding down, is this list pretty much the only players of whom we might expect to return next year(Non 6 year minor league free agents):

Alberto Arias
Jack Cassel
Sam Gervacio
Josh Muecke
Fernado Nieve
Felipe Paulino
JR Towles
Chris Johnson
Tommy Manzella
Yordany Ramirez

Did I miss anyone?

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2008, 04:27:17 pm »
I think this is Muecke's 6th season, unless a year in short-season tri-city doesn't count.

Doesn't Arias being released by Colorado make him a free agent after the season?

It will be interesting to see if Round Rock is filled up with a ton of minor league lifers or if some talent starts to creep up from Salem and Corpus Christi in 2009

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2008, 05:55:54 pm »
Arias is on the 40 man so he would still be on the team unless he was designated for assignment I was thinking Muecke was on the 40 man as well. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:10:26 pm by I'm Richies Dad »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2008, 06:23:54 pm »
Arias has impressed thus far. i can throw harder than Muecke.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2008, 07:11:16 pm »
So Muecke will be gone you think?  I know Chance Douglass is a free agent after this season but he has spent most of his time in Corpus.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »
So Muecke will be gone you think?  I know Chance Douglass is a free agent after this season but he has spent most of his time in Corpus.

i don't know what they think of Muecke. i'm just saying he is the stereotypical Soft-Tossing Lefty.

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2008, 08:32:15 pm »
That's right about Arias... I forgot he was on the 40 man roster

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2008, 11:18:19 am »
i don't know what they think of Muecke. i'm just saying he is the stereotypical Soft-Tossing Lefty.
There was a lot of talk by Astros brass earlier in the season about Muecke being a future major leaguer.  I think the quote was that it was "a question of 'when', not 'if'".  He's really tailed off later in the season, though, so I don't know how that affects things.  I guess I would not be surprised to see him exposed to the Rule 5 draft but aggressively pursued for a minor league contract if he is not chosen. 
Up in the Air

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2008, 11:57:31 am »
Arias has impressed thus far. i can throw harder than Muecke.
I wonder if he'll be a September call-up. Footer's recent note only mentioned position players. Should Nieve be a consideration? I know he's had a poor year stat-wise, but I see that he's got 21 K and just 3 BB in his last 16 IP.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »
Muecke is not on the 40-man.  He was dominant for the first three months of the season, but has tanked since.  His win on 8/22 was his first since 7/3.  I've noticed a hugely decreased strikes/balls ratio, but am not sure if it's because he's just throwing differently or just not getting the calls inside on the hands that he likes.  He pitched 131 innings last year in Corpus and then went on to the Arizona Fall League.  He's pitched 151 this year and I think he's tired.  If he can pitch like he did to start the year, he'll definitely see time in the big leagues.
I say smorgasbord!

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:52 am »
i watched Muecke throw BP to OKC last night. imo, the only way he'll get to the big leagues is by buying a ticket, but we'll see.

also imo, calling up Johnson in September would be a joke.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2008, 09:39:07 am »
i watched Muecke throw BP to OKC last night. imo, the only way he'll get to the big leagues is by buying a ticket, but we'll see.

also imo, calling up Johnson in September would be a joke.

If they do call up CJ it won't be to play much, if at all.  He'll see what it's like in the majors and then head off to the AFL.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 28, 2008, 09:45:32 am »
If they do call up CJ it won't be to play much, if at all.  He'll see what it's like in the majors and then head off to the AFL.

which is stupid. it should be a reward for advancing to close to ready level. that cheats deserving players like Saccamano.

call him Towles II. he is hitting below .200.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:39 am »
Yeah he seems over matched at the plate.

farmstros

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:34 am »
there was an article about Chris Johnson, I think on the Hooks' website, about six weeks ago.  Bennett was talking about how well Johnson was doing at AA.  He also indicated that they were content to let Johnson keep developing at AA, it sounded like for the rest of the season.  I was surprised when he was promoted to AAA and curious if there was some big shift in thinking that prompted the promotion.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 28, 2008, 12:06:46 pm »
which is stupid. it should be a reward for advancing to close to ready level. that cheats deserving players like Saccamano.

call him Towles II. he is hitting below .200.

I think I said this before but I was afraid this promotion was too soon.  I had heard he would have been better off staying all year in AA.  I believe the Astros wanted him exposed to AAA pitchers (read more AAAA type guys).  Why now, though, I have no idea.
Goin' for a bus ride.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2008, 02:43:13 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that the Astros minor league braintrust felt like players in general was not challenged enough, could this be an example of that?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2008, 02:57:45 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that the Astros minor league braintrust felt like players in general was not challenged enough, could this be an example of that?

That is likely the case.  IIRC, they plan to be more aggressive with promotions than Purp and Hun were.
Goin' for a bus ride.

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2008, 03:44:56 pm »
With the way Johnson is struggling I don't see how calling him up in September is going to accomplish anything.
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

Towlie

• Veteran Role Player
  • Ahhh, Radiohead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:04 pm »
i guess its an award for the good AA season? I have no idea why...he probably will get 1 or 2 at bats or none at all.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2008, 04:20:11 pm »
i guess its an award for the good AA season? I have no idea why...he probably will get 1 or 2 at bats or none at all.

he has no business up there. he is not a good player in AAA yet. reward Saccamano. he actually has had a good year.

Towlie

• Veteran Role Player
  • Ahhh, Radiohead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2008, 04:25:55 pm »
he has no business up there. he is not a good player in AAA yet. reward Saccamano. he actually has had a good year.

I agree, hes had 2 good years at AAA ball in a row i think.

5+7

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2008, 06:33:33 pm »
Jim, how has Towles looked since being sent down?  His stats look pretty promising.  Any defensive improvement?

Towlie

• Veteran Role Player
  • Ahhh, Radiohead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2008, 11:48:04 pm »
finally Johnson cranks one lol. and saccomanno does it once again.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2008, 09:52:34 am »
With the Express season now in the books, I was looking at how this team fared in terms of franchise single-season records.  One thing jumped out.  After 9 seasons at the Dell, the 2008 team has nailed down 3 of the highest totals ever for HR allowed in a season:

Josh Miller now leads the way with 30, Josh Muecke holds down the second spot with 23, and Runelvys is tied for 5th (with Chan Ho Park) at 18.  For anyone who is wondering, Jared "Gopher Ball" Gothreaux was dethroned by this year's pair of Joshes, but still holds down 3rd (20 in 2007) and 4th (19 in 2006). 

In other pitching records, Muecke is in a 3-way tie for 1st with 29 GS, 5th with 165 2/3 IP, in a 3-way tie for 2nd with 13 losses, and in another 3-way tie for 4th with 64 BB.  Miller is 6th with a 3.89 K:BB ratio, Nick Regilio is in a 3-way tie for 9th with 9 saves and Ron Chiavacci posted the 3rd-worst WHIP (min 70 IP) in franchise history at 1.72.  Nieve also made the "worst WHIP" list with 1.58, a tie for 8th.  (He already holds down 7th with the 1.59 he posted in 2005.)

On the other side of the ledger, Marc Saccomanno made several offensive lists including games (137 in a 5-way tie for 3rd), AB (528; 6th), H (157; 6th), TB (275; 3rd), HR (27; tied for 5th), and SLG (.521; 11th).  JR House hit .306, good for 13th on the list and his .378 OBP put him at 15th.  Ray Sadler posted a .530 SLG good for 10th.

All in all, an uninspiring performance.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:03 pm »
Jim, how has Towles looked since being sent down?  His stats look pretty promising.  Any defensive improvement?

i did not see too much of him. he did not play every day. i am not a Towles fan.