Author Topic: Financial Calculations (non-bb)  (Read 16003 times)

Froback

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Financial Calculations (non-bb)
« on: March 25, 2008, 09:00:31 am »
I am having an arguement with a friend and I think the only way to solve it is to put in some generic numbers and see what comes out.

What I am looking for:

A place where I can do simple financial calulations related to, If you put $X into some investment each month and it earned a flat Y% interest annually (but compounded monthly, or something), what would your balance be after Z months.

Not looking for real world restrictions and such, just some tool that can run this simplified sim.

I am having trouble finding exactly what I am looking for without having to pay or "register" for something.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Financial Calculations (non-bb)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:08:48 am »
I am having an arguement with a friend and I think the only way to solve it is to put in some generic numbers and see what comes out.

What I am looking for:

A place where I can do simple financial calulations related to, If you put $X into some investment each month and it earned a flat Y% interest annually (but compounded monthly, or something), what would your balance be after Z months.

Not looking for real world restrictions and such, just some tool that can run this simplified sim.

I am having trouble finding exactly what I am looking for without having to pay or "register" for something.

Excel?
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:31:43 am »
I don't know how any of these work or which is the best,

http://www.pine-grove.com/Web%20Calculators/roi.htm
http://www.fandktitle.com/calcs/allcalcs/invest_return_calculator.htm
http://www.money-zine.com/Calculators/Investment-Calculators/Return-on-Investment-Calculator/
http://www.edwardjones.com/cgi/getHTML.cgi?page=/USA/resources/calculators/investment_return.html

Google, return on investment calculator

Seriously, what you are trying to do is very simple. If you tell me what you want just a little more specifically I will email you an excel sheet.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
Thanks the 2nd one seems to be what I was looking for.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 10:15:19 am »
Seriously, what you are trying to do is very simple. If you tell me what you want just a little more specifically I will email you an excel sheet.

Isn't this basic high school math?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Clark in Denver

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:05:39 pm »
Use the future value (FV) function in Excel.  See the help file for exact usage.
Astros Fan: 1978-2011

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:11:11 pm »
Use the future value (FV) function in Excel.  See the help file for exact usage.

Are things this seriously bad that one needs a computer program to calculate compound interest or an annuity value?  What's next..."Anyone know a website that will do long division?"
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20:49 pm »

Are things this seriously bad that one needs a computer program to calculate compound interest or an annuity value?  What's next..."Anyone know a website that will do long division?"

He actually wanted to model a problem that is slightly more complicated (involving mortgages and thus tax and amortization considerations), but not much more.
  -  Orson Welles

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »

Uphill, snow, both ways...
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:53:58 pm »
Uphill, snow, both ways...

I guess I'm just old school.  Of course, I'm not a product of the lackey bushneck public schools in Texas, so perhaps my learning multiplication *before* grad school was out of the ordinary.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 01:28:22 pm »

I guess I'm just old school.  Of course, I'm not a product of the lackey bushneck public schools in Texas, so perhaps my learning multiplication *before* grad school was out of the ordinary.

Oh please.  Don't make me bust out my SAT and AP exam scores for you.   

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 01:29:39 pm »
Oh please.  Don't make me bust out my SAT and AP exam scores for you.   

A 3 percenter, eh?
  -  Orson Welles

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:32:03 pm »

I bet you do your reserve reports with just pen(cil?) and paper :)
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:37:26 pm »
I bet you do your reserve reports with just pen(cil?) and paper :)

I just pull a number out of my butt and have my people write it down (the number, not my butt).  I round up to six zeros.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 01:39:41 pm »
A 3 percenter, eh?

Just trying to stick up for my CFISD education.  Cut me some slack. 

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »
I just pull a number out of my butt and have my people write it down (the number, not my butt).  I round up to six zeros.

I was pretty sure that was how reserves were calculated.
  -  Orson Welles

Noe

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 04:48:14 pm »

Well... is there?  Just wondering, see I have this friend...

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »

Type it in google.
  -  Orson Welles

Noe

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 04:52:47 pm »
Type it in google.

AWESOME!  My... ahum... friend will be so happy...

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »

http://www.math.upenn.edu/~deturck/m170/wk1examples/calc.html

The caption is "Life is too short for long division!"
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Noe

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »
http://www.math.upenn.edu/~deturck/m170/wk1examples/calc.html

The caption is "Life is too short for long division!"

EGGSZACTLY... ahum... so said my friend...

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 06:25:14 pm »

Ask your friend what the hell we are supposed to do with the remainder. That always seemed like a useless piece of information to me.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 07:31:14 pm »

If you're finished googling, maybe you your friend could help me check my math.

You see, I have a hypothesis regarding a terrible injury last year to a future gold glove shortstop. The theory involved is objects executing motion around a point possess a quantity called angular momentum. This is an important physical quantity because all experimental evidence indicates that angular momentum is rigorously conserved in our Universe: it can be transferred, but it cannot be created or destroyed. For the simple case of a small mass executing uniform circular motion around a much larger mass (so that we can neglect the effect of the center of mass) the amount of angular momentum takes a simple form.

(http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/mihoba/angmom.gif)

As the above figure illustrates the magnitude of the angular momentum in this case is L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the small object, v is the magnitude of its velocity, and r is the separation between the objects.

Are you with me?

This formula indicates one important physical consequence of angular momentum: because the above formula can be rearranged to give v = L/(mr) and L is a constant for an isolated system, the velocity v and the separation r are inversely correlated. Thus, conservation of angular momentum demands that a decrease in the separation r be accompanied by an increase in the velocity v, and vice versa.

So what exactly does that mean?

I have come to the conclusion that Carlos Lee is a big horse and plowed Adam's poor little skinny ass down.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »
If you're finished googling, maybe you your friend could help me check my math.

You see, I have a hypothesis regarding a terrible injury last year to a future gold glove shortstop. The theory involved is objects executing motion around a point possess a quantity called angular momentum. This is an important physical quantity because all experimental evidence indicates that angular momentum is rigorously conserved in our Universe: it can be transferred, but it cannot be created or destroyed. For the simple case of a small mass executing uniform circular motion around a much larger mass (so that we can neglect the effect of the center of mass) the amount of angular momentum takes a simple form.

(http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/mihoba/angmom.gif)

As the above figure illustrates the magnitude of the angular momentum in this case is L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the small object, v is the magnitude of its velocity, and r is the separation between the objects.

Are you with me?

This formula indicates one important physical consequence of angular momentum: because the above formula can be rearranged to give v = L/(mr) and L is a constant for an isolated system, the velocity v and the separation r are inversely correlated. Thus, conservation of angular momentum demands that a decrease in the separation r be accompanied by an increase in the velocity v, and vice versa.

So what exactly does that mean?

I have come to the conclusion that Carlos Lee is a big horse and plowed Adam's poor little skinny ass down.

Adam Everett...just another victim of Newtonian physics.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 10:35:57 pm »

Adam Everett...just another victim of Newtonian physics.

If he ran a little faster, he could have moved up into relativistic physics, and maybe things would have turned out differently.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:23 am »
If he ran a little faster, he could have moved up into relativistic physics, and maybe things would have turned out differently.

Or maybe he should have gone smaller, and he could have been both hurt and non-hurt at the same time.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?