Author Topic: Rays of Sunshine permeate Astros camp  (Read 669 times)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Rays of Sunshine permeate Astros camp
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:21:49 pm »
Campbell's had a couple of 'snapshots' from spring training posted in his blogs the past week that have been a decent read.  Todays was about the Astros meeting with Sunshine Kids (a group near and dear to my heart considering my sis was one way back in the day).  Here's the link (Rays of Sunshine permeate Astros camp) and some quotes - hope y'all enjoy!

"Wonderful kids,'' Brocail said softly, walking out of the room. "Jeez, it rips your heart in half.''

Randolph lingered with the kids longer than most, if not all, of the Astros. He seemed almost reluctant to leave. In camp as a non-roster pitcher, Randolph has undermined his hopes of making the team by allowing six walks and four hits in his first 1 2/3 innings.

"I love kids,'' Randolph said. "That's easy for me. Those kids, they don't know a bad day. They don't know a good day. I walk around moping because I had a few walks. That doesn't matter, compared to what those kids are going through. It's a reality check. You should go out here and have fun and feel blessed and grateful I can do it every day. I have my health. I have my family. I have everybody around me. Some of those kids have nothing. It's tough. You see them sitting over there with a smile on their face.''

Ausmus is so notoriously stoic, teammates kidded him that after he the tying home run that helped the Astros win an 18-inning National League Divisional Series game, he looked like he was carrying a suitcase with a dead baby. He took his time with the Sunshine kids, but at a price. By the time Ausmus made it out of the room, his eyes looked suspiciously moist. He walked away briskly. Asked if the visit got to him, Ausmus, the father of two daughters, said, "I've done it before. It's hard.''
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)