Author Topic: NYCU: Ryan pres  (Read 10154 times)

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
NYCU: Ryan pres
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:58:58 am »
So with Ryan becoming president of the Rangers, assuming nothing legally bad happens to DQ, I suppose the Ryan Elite Camp next year will be the Clemens Elite Camp.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Re: NYCU: Ryan pres
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:41 am »
Or exclusively the Bagwell camp
Always ready to go to a game.

pravata

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:00:56 am »
So with Ryan becoming president of the Rangers, assuming nothing legally bad happens to DQ, I suppose the Ryan Elite Camp next year will be the Clemens Elite Camp.

And later the Russ Springer Elite Camp.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:11:36 am »
And later the Russ Springer Elite Camp.
With special guest speaker Mark Lemongello.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:14:07 am »
So with Ryan becoming president of the Rangers,

Will he have to sell his partial ownership of the Express and Hooks?
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:48 am »
Will he have to sell his partial ownership of the Express and Hooks?

It wouldn't surprise me for Reid to take over that aspect of the empire.  But I don't think Ryan would have to divest.  It's not like he owns race horses.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:01:32 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me for Reid to take over that aspect of the empire.  But I don't think Ryan would have to divest.  It's not like he owns race horses.

it just seems like a basic conflict of interest to me.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 12:04:27 pm »
it just seems like a basic conflict of interest to me.

I agree with that, but it still seems like less of a conflict of interest than Selig being comissioner and owner (or his daughter taking over his ownership) of a major league team. I don't mean to excuse this conflict, just to give it some context.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

pravata

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 12:38:07 pm »
McTaggart at the Chronicle catches up to the story and asks some good questions,

Reid Ryan said the Astros’ player development agreement with Round Rock and Corpus Christi expires after this season, but no decisions have made on future affiliation.

“We’ll have to at some point sit down with the Astros and see if they’re interested in signing back up and if they are a good fit for us,” said Reid, whose brother Reese is chief financial officer.
Link

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:51:06 pm »
A friend of mine was the owner of the Staten Island Yankees.  The team had nothing to do with player development.  Basically, they provided the stadium, the concessions, were responsible for promotions and advertising and the like.  The Yankees provided the players and coaches.  The owner had nothing to do with player development.  Things might be a little different with Nolan Ryan because he is involved in player development but it would seem to me that Reid Ryan could be the owner of Astros farm teams without there being a conflict of interest.  To wit, even if Reid was "rooting" for the Rangers, it would be difficult for him to derail the Astros farm system nor would it be in his economic interest to do so. 

This friend, for example, is (was) a crazy Yankees fan.  Before he owned the SI Yankees, he owned the Watertown Indians.  He wasn't an Indians fan but he wasn't going to derail the Watertown Indians to promote his fan interest in the Yankees.
Boom!

Noe

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:45 pm »
The Ryan/Sanders minor league ownership group runs a top notch organization.  Reid Ryan is very impressive as the Chief Operations guy... extremely impressive.  The Houston Astros would be foolish to treat this group, especially Reid Ryan, with any sort of stand offish behavior or unwanted step-child attitude.

It goes beyond just conflict of interest at this point, it is a cut your nose to spite your face wrong move on the Astros to think they will not re-up with this group again.  On the other side of the fence, Ryan/Sanders would not have any qualms to be part of the Astros organization again for however many years necessary.  But if I were them, I'd ask for a little more in terms of respect and visibility from the parent organization.  How that comes about is anyone's guess, but it would help if the Astros did more to promote themselves around the area, almost to a fault.

pravata

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 01:05:33 pm »
The Ryan/Sanders minor league ownership group runs a top notch organization.  Reid Ryan is very impressive as the Chief Operations guy... extremely impressive.  The Houston Astros would be foolish to treat this group, especially Reid Ryan, with any sort of stand offish behavior or unwanted step-child attitude.

It goes beyond just conflict of interest at this point, it is a cut your nose to spite your face wrong move on the Astros to think they will not re-up with this group again.  On the other side of the fence, Ryan/Sanders would not have any qualms to be part of the Astros organization again for however many years necessary.  But if I were them, I'd ask for a little more in terms of respect and visibility from the parent organization.  How that comes about is anyone's guess, but it would help if the Astros did more to promote themselves around the area, almost to a fault.

The Astros are in a tight spot going into ST.  For the first time in a decade they start a season without Bagwell or Biggio. Two players directly associated with the team are under congressional investigation.  They lost a local icon, for the second time, to a rival.  The team has "chemistry" questions.  One of the players has an entourage, including a masseur.  New management, new coaches.  And now there is even the hint of a whisper that they might lose their minor league affiliates in Texas?  Lots of distractions.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »
The Astros are in a tight spot going into ST.  For the first time in a decade they start a season without Bagwell or Biggio. Two players directly associated with the team are under congressional investigation.  They lost a local icon, for the second time, to a rival.  The team has "chemistry" questions.  One of the players has an entourage, including a masseur.  New management, new coaches.  And now there is even the hint of a whisper that they might lose their minor league affiliates in Texas?  Lots of distractions.

Road trip!
Purity of Essence

pravata

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 01:21:13 pm »
Road trip!

You can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You fucked up - you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it! Maybe we can help.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 01:21:52 pm »

Spot. On.

For the past couple decades, the team's public image and clubhouse culture have been defined by Alvin's favorite son and blue collar stalwarts like Biggio and Bagwell.  In '08, it's a Philly pawn shop dealer and his patchy East Coast mentality.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 01:28:15 pm »
How that comes about is anyone's guess, but it would help if the Astros did more to promote themselves around the area, almost to a fault.

They could start by getting a bona fide radio presence here. The current arrangement is embarrassing.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Noe

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 01:34:40 pm »
Spot. On.

For the past couple decades, the team's public image and clubhouse culture have been defined by Alvin's favorite son and blue collar stalwarts like Biggio and Bagwell.  In '08, it's a Philly pawn shop dealer and his patchy East Coast mentality.

Perception in negotiations tends to be close to reality.  If the perception is a shift from the goodwill, were in the same family to a very different, colder, as you say "patch-work" approach to running the parent organization (in terms of baseball ops), then it won't be long until you alienate people who at one time were your strongest allies.

It may work on the business operations side of the house, but in the baseball ops you better have a keener sense for the relationship growing aspect of the equation.  They must treat the Ryan/Sanders group as an always welcomed to the table group to keep the strategic alliance in place.  That has to be done with a certain amount of care for the relationship while still maintaining a good business foundation behind it.  It can and should be done by the baseball ops with the Ryan/Sanders group.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »
I agree with that, but it still seems like less of a conflict of interest than Selig being comissioner and owner (or his daughter taking over his ownership) of a major league team. I don't mean to excuse this conflict, just to give it some context.

not if Bud divested. Nolan should, imo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »
They could start by getting a bona fide radio presence here. The current arrangement is embarrassing.

the Ryans neither understand nor value radio.

they also do not promote the Astros at their ballpark. they do not give Astros scores until the Express game is nearly over and they are giving minor league scores one time. there is no way to follow the Astros at Dell Diamond unless you bring a PDA.

Noe

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 01:53:24 pm »
the Ryans neither understand nor value radio.

they also do not promote the Astros at their ballpark. they do not give Astros scores until the Express game is nearly over and they are giving minor league scores one time. there is no way to follow the Astros at Dell Diamond unless you bring a PDA.

Right.  Seems both sides protect their own interest instead of trying to foster a relationship type of arrangement.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 01:57:43 pm »
Right.  Seems both sides protect their own interest instead of trying to foster a relationship type of arrangement.

exactly right.

i wonder what will happen to Jay Miller in all of this. he is one great guy.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 02:23:40 pm »

Yes, it is an odd dynamic.

My original comment about radio was from the Astros side: it's almost as if they the Astros want to make it as difficult as possible to listen to the team in Austin. I'm sure they're being told by the local radio stations that it's more profitable for them to run whatever drivel they're running, but that's at least partly because the Astros make such a feeble effort to embrace the area, so it's a chicken-and-egg thing.

But Jim's also right about the curious absence of Astros info at Round Rock games. It seems to me that the two organizations could benefit one another tremendously if they just coordinated a little bit, but instead it's like a couple's relationship where each is waiting for the other to give them the boot.

I would hate to see Austin become a Rangers enclave. The Cowboy worship is bad enough.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:18 pm »
Yes, it is an odd dynamic.

My original comment about radio was from the Astros side: it's almost as if they the Astros want to make it as difficult as possible to listen to the team in Austin. I'm sure they're being told by the local radio stations that it's more profitable for them to run whatever drivel they're running, but that's at least partly because the Astros make such a feeble effort to embrace the area, so it's a chicken-and-egg thing.

But Jim's also right about the curious absence of Astros info at Round Rock games. It seems to me that the two organizations could benefit one another tremendously if they just coordinated a little bit, but instead it's like a couple's relationship where each is waiting for the other to give them the boot.

I would hate to see Austin become a Rangers enclave. The Cowboy worship is bad enough.

hey, i'm a Cowboys fan. you quit preaching and went to meddling.

if the Astros and the Express part company, the Express likely will lose me as a season ticket holder. i'm not paying $1000/year to watch Rangers' farmhands. i'll return to watching more college baseball.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 02:45:49 pm »
hey, i'm a Cowboys fan. you quit preaching and went to meddling.

if the Astros and the Express part company, the Express likely will lose me as a season ticket holder. i'm not paying $1000/year to watch Rangers' farmhands. i'll return to watching more college baseball.

That's something the Express people need to know.  Right now, they don't think there's much interest by those attending Express games of the parent club and organization. 
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 02:51:08 pm »
That's something the Express people need to know.  Right now, they don't think there's much interest by those attending Express games of the parent club and organization. 

i think the major part of their fan base will not care. i will.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 02:53:19 pm »

Same here.  I go to the Express games because I enjoy watching baseball, but a big part of it is the pleasure of watching guys that may wind up playing for the Astros.  If they're Rangers property instead, I'll just watch the Astros on the tube or go down to Disch-Falk.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 02:54:53 pm »
Same here.  I go to the Express games because I enjoy watching baseball, but a big part of it is the pleasure of watching guys that may wind up playing for the Astros.  If they're Rangers property instead, I'll just watch the Astros on the tube or go down to Disch-Falk.

exactly my attitude.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 03:04:55 pm »
i think the major part of their fan base will not care. i will.

Jim -- I think this is at least as much a symptom as it is a disease.  If after eight years of watching Astros minor leaguers, the average Express fan has not been co-opted as an Astros fan, then management (both Astros and Express) has really screwed the pooch. 

They should make a bigger deal about Astros players and scores at Express games and in Express radio broadcasts (and for Hooks as well).

They should figure out how to get Astros radio broadcast locally ... if all it takes is money, then sponsor the broadcasts!

They should also bring back the exhibition appearances both between Express & Hooks and between the Astros and their affiliates.

I'll go watch the Express (at least some of the time) regardless of affiliation, because I just like to watch minor league baseball.  But I will go a lot more often if they stay with the Astros, and it would be a lot easier in general to keep attendance up if they actually tried to emphasize the tie-in.
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 03:09:21 pm »
Jim -- I think this is at least as much a symptom as it is a disease.  If after eight years of watching Astros minor leaguers, the average Express fan has not been co-opted as an Astros fan, then management (both Astros and Express) has really screwed the pooch. 

They should make a bigger deal about Astros players and scores at Express games and in Express radio broadcasts (and for Hooks as well).

They should figure out how to get Astros radio broadcast locally ... if all it takes is money, then sponsor the broadcasts!

They should also bring back the exhibition appearances both between Express & Hooks and between the Astros and their affiliates.

I'll go watch the Express (at least some of the time) regardless of affiliation, because I just like to watch minor league baseball.  But I will go a lot more often if they stay with the Astros, and it would be a lot easier in general to keep attendance up if they actually tried to emphasize the tie-in.

i did not say i will not go, but i do not want season tickets to watch future Rangers.

i doubt the average person at an Express game has any idea what club the players belong to.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:47 pm »

Any way this post could get in the hands of both the Astros and the Express/Hooks?
Purity of Essence

kevwun

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 03:18:02 pm »
I don't think there's much of an incentive to play up the connection because the Express have never had attendance problems(as far as I know).
Crazy Joe McCluskey was fucking nuts.  It's why they called him Crazy Joe.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 03:23:07 pm »
I don't think there's much of an incentive to play up the connection because the Express have never had attendance problems(as far as I know).

I don't count when I go, but it sure looks to me like the announced attendance includes a lot of empty season ticketed seats.  I always buy general admission and then just choose a nice seat in the midst of a bunch of empty ones.  I very rarely have to move, and have never had to change sections.  Sooner or later, some of those folks are going to realize that they don't have to own season tickets to see 10-20 games a year.  (It took me about three years to learn that lesson.)  Then what?
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:26 pm »
I don't count when I go, but it sure looks to me like the announced attendance includes a lot of empty season ticketed seats.  I always buy general admission and then just choose a nice seat in the midst of a bunch of empty ones.  I very rarely have to move, and have never had to change sections.  Sooner or later, some of those folks are going to realize that they don't have to own season tickets to see 10-20 games a year.  (It took me about three years to learn that lesson.)  Then what?

the announced "attendance" actually is tickets sold. all season tickets are counted each night regardless whether the seat is empty or filled.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 03:32:08 pm »
the announced "attendance" actually is tickets sold. all season tickets are counted each night regardless whether the seat is empty or filled.

Exactly ... so they do not have a problem with attendance revenue, but they do have a problem with actual attendance.

ETA:  In the early days, the place was always crowded.  Definitely not the case last year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:34:14 pm by VirtualBob »
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »
Exactly ... so they do not have a problem with attendance revenue, but they do have a problem with actual attendance.

ETA:  In the early days, the place was always crowded.  Definitely not the case last year.

actual AIS has been off the last two years.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2008, 03:42:05 pm »

If this were a real concern to Drayton he could just go and buy his own AAA and AA franchises.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Noe

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »

Most of what you're saying is because of an odd convergence of multiple situations:

1. Odd radio and television rights here in Austin (and I'm not sure about Corpus Christi) that doesn't favor the Houston Astros entirely.  There is more media presence for the San Antonio Spurs basketball than there is for the Astros baseball.  While the Spurs do not come close the University of Texas in terms of media exposure, they certainly are not a woeful second place media driven presence.  I think more could be done to bump Houston Astros baseball to the very least the Spurs level of exposure (IMHO of course).

2. The Express (don't know about the Hooks) are in this as a business first, minor league affliate second and they do a damn good job of the former and latter.  But they focus on the entertainment value for the general fanbase here in Austin.  That means while I and many others are interested in the development of Houston Astros prospects, many of the fanbase here in Austin are interested in the entertainment ROI for the family.  It is a wonderful experience for the family to attend an Express game, that is the way Reid Ryan works well.

3. The Houston Astros baseball ops may be running their minor league system with just a tad too much business acumen and not enough relationship fostering in mind.

All three lead to a less than growing presence here in the Austin area for the parent organization but certainly the Express won't lose much because they've managed to focus on growing an entertainment outlet here first, a minor league affliation with a beloved team second.  See, the Houston Astros are no the Boston Red Sox or St. Louis Cardinals in terms of a following (yet), so the Ryan/Sanders group knows they won't get much bang for their buck by giving too much up on their end to the parent organization today.  In the next ten years?  Perhaps, if this organization (Houston Astros) finds itself doing consistently what they've managed to do in the last 10-15 years.  The following will be strong and play very much into the negotiation process for anyone wanting to be associated with them, from radio to minor league ownership groups.

Today, the Houston Astros can't afford to act as if they're already there.

pravata

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 04:07:47 pm »
...Today, the Houston Astros can't afford to act as if they're already there.

This is a franchise that could come apart quickly.  I had read about an idea, not rumor or anything that anyone said other than this Dallas columnist, that one bargaining chip the Astros might have was that Mclane could maybe offer Ryan a share in the team.  That obviously didn't happen.  Instead, in the delicate situation they're in, Pam Gardner is involved in making the critical decisions.  Tal Smith had better be paying close attention to all aspects of the future.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:33:07 pm by pravata »

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 04:31:24 pm »

The situation is not likely to improve in '08, with a Round Rock roster loaded with minor league FAs, 30-something mercenaries, and few future Astros, but largely bereft of home-grown Astros talent.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 04:39:08 pm »
I do not think that matters much to the casual fan, but it does to you and to me.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:03 pm »
All three lead to a less than growing presence here in the Austin area for the parent organization

At least almost all the games are on TV in Austin nowadays.  There were some dark days earlier in this decade.

Of course, if the Express flip to the Rangers, that could affect the TV situation as well.  Ranger Fan in Austin has to hate the current arrangement.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
At least almost all the games are on TV in Austin nowadays.  There were some dark days earlier in this decade.

Of course, if the Express flip to the Rangers, that could affect the TV situation as well.  Ranger Fan in Austin has to hate the current arrangement.

Ranger Fan in Austin?  He's a rare breed anyway.  I doubt that will change much, even if the Express go over to the Rangers. Texas is primarily an Astros state in the same way it's primarily a Cowboys state as far as football goes.
Grab another Coke and let's die

Noe

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 05:05:43 pm »
I do not think that matters much to the casual fan, but it does to you and to me.

There would be a greater outcry from the fans if the Express were to remove the giant turd that kids can climb out in the centerfield berm than if the affliation was changed.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 05:38:50 pm »

Right you are.  I can't begin to count the times a nerby "fan" has lectured all within earshot about "great prospects" like Jesse Garcia or Travis Driskill or Carlos Rivera ...

I'm glad those (and others) did well at Round Rock, but as prospects, "they ain't what they never were."
Up in the Air

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:40 am »
Reid Ryan in the Corpus Christi Caller:

"Everybody is worried about that and I'm telling folks we're going to spring training in a couple of weeks and we're fired up. We have a great relationship with the Astros and my dad's actions put us in the middle of it. We don't run from it, but we just accept that he's a guy with unbelievable baseball ties in Texas. From our standpoint, we've just got to keep doing what we do. I started (Ryan-Sanders) and loved having him as a partner, but at the end of the day, this has always been my deal, my dream and my vision and I think he'd like to go out and do his own (with the Rangers)."...
"No one would be talking about our PDC (Player Dev. Contract) if my dad didn't take this job," Ryan said. "To be honest, I'm more worried about getting tickets sold, getting our exhibition games set up and our spring training trip. We'll be addressing (the PDC) after the season starts sometime."
Always ready to go to a game.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 10:19:11 am »
sure, Reid.

Give him credit... it sounds like he said it with conviction.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

pravata

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:05 am »
There's whispers that Ryan may get a share of the Rangers, which shoots a big hole in one of our pipe dreams.  Link

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
There's whispers that Ryan may get a share of the Rangers, which shoots a big hole in one of our pipe dreams.  Link

i don't know why he'd do it otherwise.

last i heard, Drayton ain't selling. dammit.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 10:34:53 am »
i don't know why he'd do it otherwise.

last i heard, Drayton ain't selling. dammit.

Careful what you wish for - remember the rumors about Fertitta buying the team?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 10:35:57 am »

i did not mean just any buyer. if he is not selling to Ryan, then i want him to keep it.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 10:39:16 am »
I tend to agree that at Express games, few people really care (or know) that the Express are affiliated with the Astros.  However, in the few Hooks games I've attended, I don't get the same feeling.  During a rain delay, they braodcast the Astros on the big screen and a decent amount of people were tuned in.  In short, it doesn't surprise me that in Corpus, Reid Ryan must quell rumors, but in Round Rock, it is probably not as much of an issue.

As to the radio in Austin, I agree: geting preempted by a highschool football game shows where the Astros rank in KVET's heiarchy.  You can often (almost always in my experience) get the Astros off the station in Temple (I think).

pravata

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 10:42:50 am »

Forget about that, Fertitta is involved in Vegas now and trying to scrape money together to go private.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 10:49:23 am »
I
As to the radio in Austin, I agree: geting preempted by a highschool football game shows where the Astros rank in KVET's heiarchy.  You can often (almost always in my experience) get the Astros off the station in Temple (I think).

that is their advertisers' agenda.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:30 am »
Did anyone else note that he said "Nothing will change in Corpus Christi..."?   I sure hope the omission of RR was accidental..  I've been to the OKC park, close to their version of the River Walk.  It was nice, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. 

To give you an idea, my colleage and I went to a burger place right across the street from the stadium.  When I asked the people at the restaurant the name of the team, I got "I don't know, I think they are pretty new."   Based on that, I suspect Hicks wouldn't mind switching affiliations to the Round Rock Express. 

If the Rangers could get their claws on an Austin affiliate, would it give them more leverage in grabbing a greater share of the Texas tv market? 

Damnit Drayton, are you paying attention?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2008, 11:08:36 am »
Did anyone else note that he said "Nothing will change in Corpus Christi..."?   I sure hope the omission of RR was accidental..  I've been to the OKC park, close to their version of the River Walk.  It was nice, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. 

To give you an idea, my colleage and I went to a burger place right across the street from the stadium.  When I asked the people at the restaurant the name of the team, I got "I don't know, I think they are pretty new."   Based on that, I suspect Hicks wouldn't mind switching affiliations to the Round Rock Express. 

If the Rangers could get their claws on an Austin affiliate, would it give them more leverage in grabbing a greater share of the Texas tv market? 

any owner would want RR.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2008, 11:08:45 am »

OKC would be no-man's-land for the Astros.  If RR goes to the Rangers where else could Houston go?  When is NO available again?  Would they move to NM?
Goin' for a bus ride.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:52 am »
Forget about that, Fertitta is involved in Vegas now and trying to scrape money together to go private.

Understood - just an example that there are worse possibilities than Drayton.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 11:18:24 am »
I like the team name, "Express" even less now.
Purity of Essence

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:45 am »
As to the radio in Austin, I agree: geting preempted by a highschool football game shows where the Astros rank in KVET's heiarchy.  You can often (almost always in my experience) get the Astros off the station in Temple (I think).

If the Astros can work another deal with another radio station, I could finally stop listening to 1300 completely.  They suck.

Too bad 1530 already has the Rangers.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2008, 12:25:37 pm »
Ranger Fan in Austin?  He's a rare breed anyway.  I doubt that will change much, even if the Express go over to the Rangers. Texas is primarily an Astros state in the same way it's primarily a Cowboys state as far as football goes.

That could change in a short time based on the fortunes of the ML clubs. I don't underestimate the bandwagon effect on a great many "fans".

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2008, 06:02:47 pm »
Rangers fan site's perspective on the Ryan hire:

http://www.newbergreport.com/article.asp

For those who don't know him, Jamey Newberg was a walk-on baseball player under Coach Gus at Texas and is a practicing attorney in Dallas.

So, he's basically the Rangers' version of JimR.  Only, younger and with fewer f-bombs.

strosrays

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2008, 06:48:13 pm »
OKC would be no-man's-land for the Astros.  If RR goes to the Rangers where else could Houston go?  When is NO available again?  Would they move to NM?

Beaumont.  It's so obvious.

Greg M

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2008, 07:00:18 pm »
New Mexico makes sense.  The Marlins being affiliated with Albuquerque has always been a little weird.  There are a fair amount of Houston transplants in NM.  Plus, Isotopes park has a hill in CF and Orbit as a mascot.  The only thing I wouldn't like about that move is having the pitchers throw at 5000 feet.  Round Rock's ideal, but Burque wouldn't be a bad place.  Any idea when the Marlins agreement with the Isotopes ends?

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2008, 08:36:58 am »

Beaumont.  It's so obvious.

There would need to be a team involved ... not just a location.
Up in the Air