Author Topic: Erstad a 'Stro  (Read 6076 times)

cougar

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • I dare you
    • View Profile
Erstad a 'Stro
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:26:27 pm »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5407492.html

Not much to the article.  More of a blurb really.  Guess he provides depth at 1st (and the OF I suppose), and provides a lefty bat off the bench.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:27:58 pm by cougar »

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Erstad a 'Stro
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:42:46 pm »
That means you have a bench of blum, loretta, erstad, ausmus, and whomever plays better between abercrombie and cheito in ST, unless they choose to only carry 11 pitchers and 6 bench guys to start the year.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »
That means you have a bench of blum, loretta, erstad, ausmus, and whomever plays better between abercrombie and cheito in ST, unless they choose to only carry 11 pitchers and 6 bench guys to start the year.

I'm thinking Yolandy and Abercrombie have the inside track to be the 4th and 5th OFs, Cheito will be the 6th in RR in case of injury.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
Wade didn't sign Yordany Ramirez to sit him on the bench in Houston.

He'll be getting much-needed ABs in Round Rock for the foreseeable future.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

pravata

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:27:50 pm »

Any outfielder in the minors should keep a bag packed,

Erstad said. “I’ve come to accept the fact that my body might not be able to play every day again. I could be a utility guy, the fourth guy in the outfield, the guy who comes off the bench with a double-switch. It’ll be different, not being an every-day guy, but I think the way they play in the National League gives me the maximum opportunities to be on the field.”

“It’s tough, but I haven’t been healthy. How could a team rely on me for an every-day role? I can’t stay healthy,” Erstad said. “It’s not something that is easy, but it’s really the natural progression of anybody’s career. You’re not as valuable as you used to be. I’m a realist. I accept that.”
Link

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:34:15 pm »

I disagree, I think there's a good chance he will make the team. With defense not being such a strong point with our starting outfielders I think he'll be there as a 9th inning save opportunity defensive replacement for Lee or Pence, or atleast I'd like to see him serving this role.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:22 pm »

I disagree, I think there's a good chance he will make the team. With defense not being such a strong point with our starting outfielders I think he'll be there as a 9th inning save opportunity defensive replacement for Lee or Pence, or atleast I'd like to see him serving this role.

It seems the Astros have higher expectations for Ramirez than 9th inning defensive replacement, that's a role Cruz or Abercrombie should be able to fill.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 12:10:52 am »
It seems the Astros have higher expectations for Ramirez than 9th inning defensive replacement, that's a role Cruz or Abercrombie should be able to fill.

Exactly.  Sticking Ramirez on the bench in Houston amounts to short-circuiting his development.

Wade didn't sign Ramirez for the short-term.

Anit

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 12:19:46 am »
Any outfielder in the minors should keep a bag packed,

Erstad said. “I’ve come to accept the fact that my body might not be able to play every day again. I could be a utility guy, the fourth guy in the outfield, the guy who comes off the bench with a double-switch. It’ll be different, not being an every-day guy, but I think the way they play in the National League gives me the maximum opportunities to be on the field.”

“It’s tough, but I haven’t been healthy. How could a team rely on me for an every-day role? I can’t stay healthy,” Erstad said. “It’s not something that is easy, but it’s really the natural progression of anybody’s career. You’re not as valuable as you used to be. I’m a realist. I accept that.”
Link

i already like this guy..what a great and honest quote..as well as a great attitude
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 12:21:30 am by Anit »

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 12:33:31 am »
Not being very familiar with his career in the AL it is interesting to look over Erstad's career stats. Batting .293 career vs RHP, quite a few assists over the years as an outfielder so he must have a decent arm, and has batted leadoff more then any other slot in the lineup with batting in the 2 hole next most frequent, and a 77% successful SB ratio. What a year he had in 2000 when he put up Ichiro type numbers...Wow. I am curious what it took to sign him. With 3 gold gloves he looks like a nice reserve option.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:51:32 am »
My personal favorite "fun fact" about Erstad: aside from being a baseball All-American at the University of Nebraska, he was also a letter-winning punter on the Huskers' 1994 national championship football team.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 01:10:27 am »

you know, i check this board nearly every day, often 3 or 4 times a day, i check in with astros.com every now and then for the latest footer piece, and though i live 1700 miles from houston, i watch at least part of nearly every astros game via mlb.tv.  admittedly, i rarely watch television, and i rarely read any newspapers aside from the occasional sf chronicle, and perhaps non steroids-related events of the mlb offseason are more than a little overshadowed by football, but all things considered i think i'm as up to date on the astros as almost anybody.  so it is that i am right now left dumbfounded about who "ramirez," "cruz," and "abercrombie" are.  i can only assume that "cruz" is jose cruz jr, but who are these other two fools and where did they come from?

PCOL2000

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:41:07 am »
next time you "check in" at the Astros website, take a look at the 40 man. 

John F.

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 01:51:07 am »
A good sign.  I never heard, did Loretta accept arbitration?

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 02:22:38 am »

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 02:31:41 am »
you know, i check this board nearly every day, often 3 or 4 times a day, i check in with astros.com every now and then for the latest footer piece, and though i live 1700 miles from houston, i watch at least part of nearly every astros game via mlb.tv.  admittedly, i rarely watch television, and i rarely read any newspapers aside from the occasional sf chronicle, and perhaps non steroids-related events of the mlb offseason are more than a little overshadowed by football, but all things considered i think i'm as up to date on the astros as almost anybody.  so it is that i am right now left dumbfounded about who "ramirez," "cruz," and "abercrombie" are.  i can only assume that "cruz" is jose cruz jr, but who are these other two fools and where did they come from?

cruz jr inks minor league deal with stros
Astros claim CF Abercrombie off waivers from Marlins
Houston signs Ramirez after trading CF Anderson

pravata

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:59 am »
Not being very familiar with his career in the AL it is interesting to look over Erstad's career stats. Batting .293 career vs RHP, quite a few assists over the years as an outfielder so he must have a decent arm, and has batted leadoff more then any other slot in the lineup with batting in the 2 hole next most frequent, and a 77% successful SB ratio. What a year he had in 2000 when he put up Ichiro type numbers...Wow. I am curious what it took to sign him. With 3 gold gloves he looks like a nice reserve option.

A million dollars, http://www.orangewhoopass.com/forums/index.php?topic=104682.msg174472#new just clink on the link provided.  I wonder how much neatsfoot oil he's had to rub into those Golden Gloves to keep them game ready.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 09:24:59 am »
I think that Cruz and Erstad are the 4th and 5th outfielders on this team.  The Astros think that they can be competitive this year.  Having bench players like Ramirez or Abercrombie does not fit into this mold.  I think that signing Erstad is a great move.  Maybe he will even provide some of the veteran leadership that we have been bemoaning is lacking from this team.
Boom!

John F.

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:07 pm »
Yes he did.  http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071208&content_id=2321504&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Thank you for the update.  I was hearing rumors about Loretta in talks with the Yankees and possibly playing first here, guess that fell through.  It's good to see the Astros making some moves this off season.  I have to admit it was hard for me personally to watch Burke leave but I assume it was his time and he did get his chances.  What's the pitching situation this season?  Still with Oswalt, Wandy, Woody, and Backe?  I heard your big lefty prospect got traded out.

pravata

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:58 pm »
thanks. 

man, i'm gonna need to have my program handy on opening day.

That is going to be my 2008 Astros slogan "Get Your Program! You can't tell the players without a program!"

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 01:11:58 pm »
That is going to be my 2008 Astros slogan "Get Your Program! You can't tell the players without a program!"

The Return of the Good guys

becomes

The Arrival of Some Guys who we hope are Good
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 03:56:28 pm »

becomes

Return of the old guys.

Cruz, Blum, Loretta, Erstad, Ausmus.  All have their best years behind them and must give us one of the oldest benches in the bigs.  I guess they are all on one-year or non-guaranteed deals.

The deterioration of the farm system, which was rated among the best in baseball and is now rated near the bottom for another year, during the Purp years just baffles me.  My guess is we lost ground in Latin America (as well as poor drafts).
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

pravata

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:05:24 pm »
Return of the old guys.

Cruz, Blum, Loretta, Erstad, Ausmus.  All have their best years behind them and must give us one of the oldest benches in the bigs.  I guess they are all on one-year or non-guaranteed deals.

The deterioration of the farm system, which was rated among the best in baseball and is now rated near the bottom for another year, during the Purp years just baffles me.  My guess is we lost ground in Latin America (as well as poor drafts).

You don't need to guess, you can look it up.  Yes, all those bench players have one year deals.   I keep seeing this complaint about how lousy the Astros minors are, and they have been rated that way here and in many other places.  But the Astros were able to use several of their minor leaguers to trade for Villarreal, Tejada, and Valverde.  [eta] And they're projecting Towles as their everyday catcher.  And lets not forget that Hunter Pence will be in his first full season. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:12:50 pm by pravata »

pravata

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 04:11:46 pm »

And another thing, there is no mystery here.  Gerry Hunsicker used the minors to trade (in several players for one deals) for players so the Astros could "win now".  Same thing SmithWade is doing.

Russ99

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • www.thrustjet.com
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 06:16:59 pm »
I like this signing, it basically throws another vet in the mix for the outfield reserve competition this spring, although a case can be made than none of them (Erstad, Cruz, Abercrombie, Ramirez) can really be expected to put up stellar numbers.

I sure hope Erstad's healthy, cause he could really be a nice pickup, and good insurance for Bourn. He played well and gave a spark-plug type effort with the White Sox last year until he got injured about a month into the season and he wasn't the same the rest of the way.

Another starting pitcher would also be nice, Ed Wade...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 06:20:28 pm by Russ99 »

" He is a throwback to the old days, when a player's most honored badges were mud and blood"

- Larry Dierker on Bill Doran -  The Scouting Report 1987

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 10:27:35 pm »

becomes

Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it?

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 06:03:15 pm »

becomes

At the very least he has picked up some guys that play hard and play with emotion.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 08:00:14 am »
I have to admit it was hard for me personally to watch Burke leave

You are in the minority with that thought.

Andyzipp

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 11:41:56 am »
At the very least he has picked up some guys that play hard and play with emotion.

They may play like shit, but dammit, they'll be emotional about it.

I hate hustle face.