Author Topic: Round Rock question- heard a rumor  (Read 10085 times)

94CougarGrad

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Round Rock question- heard a rumor
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:59:37 pm »
Don't you just love those pesky little rumors? I apologize if Cabrera's a Brave, but I've got quite a few threads that I'm working my way through and I haven't seen anything about this yet.

Yesterday afternoon, a friend of mine said that she saw on the news that the Express are negotiating with... someone... to move to Sugar Land. I hadn't heard that before, and some searching on the websites for the Chronicle, the Express, and the Astros by the husband yielded no such news.

Anyone know if this is a real deal, or if my friend's been imbibing in too much St. Arnold's Lawnmower? I figure if anyone knows the answer, it's gonna be someone here.

Mucho grassyass in advance.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
Re: Round Rock question- heard a rumor
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:54 am »
Because it is difficult to disprove something that doesn't exist, I think it's fair to say that her "source" is either seriously flawed or she completely misunderstood what was being said. The Express are one of the most popular and well-attended teams in the minor leagues. If someone were to move a minor league team anywhere, Sugar Land or otherwise, RR would be the last choice. Also, Sugar Land is not the type of community that AAA teams reside in. AAA teams are almost always in unique major metro areas that are not quite large enough to support a major league team. Single A teams are more likely to relocate to the suburbs of a larger metro area (i.e. San Jose, Brooklyn, Dunedin, etc.).

In other words, no.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Andyzipp

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:27:01 am »
The MLB club in the area would have some say about an affiliated minor league club being placed in the immediate territory, and as I think Drayton would view that as competition, it would never happen.

Also, the Ryans, short of obtaining a MLB franchise, are pretty well entrenched in RR.

ValpoCory

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 07:57:06 am »
Single A teams are more likely to relocate to the suburbs of a larger metro area (i.e. San Jose, Brooklyn, Dunedin, etc.).

Sometimes AA, like Frisco.

But the Astros are happy with Corpus and Round Rock being in new stadiums and being close by.  Those affiliates won't be changing anytime soon.  So the only option for Sugarland would be a single A team.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:59:43 am »

But the Astros are happy with Corpus and Round Rock being in new stadiums and being close by.  Those affiliates won't be changing anytime soon.  So the only option for Sugarland would be a single A team.

Agreed. Fly SWA, and the is where the next expansion team will be.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:40 am »

Apologies for dredging up an old thread, but it seemed like the appropriate place to put this link:

Sugar Land city council hears feasibility study on minor league baseball

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:18:26 am »
I had heard Sugar Land mentioned as the site for Houston's AAA team, per the supposed impending affiliation of RR to the Rangers.  I have no idea if there is merit in this or just bullshit.
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:07 am »
I had heard Sugar Land mentioned as the site for Houston's AAA team, per the supposed impending affiliation of RR to the Rangers.  I have no idea if there is merit in this or just bullshit.

RR Express is not going to any other city. i would not be surprised re Rangers affiliation in two years.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:41 am »
Per the link, Sugar Land is looking into both affiliated and independent teams, and the discussions are at the very early stages, so who knows what'll happen.  However, I would be shocked if it ended up being the Astros' AAA affiliate.

(Being a SL resident, however, I'd love to see this happen, affiliated or otherwise.)

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:31:00 am »
Single A teams are more likely to relocate to the suburbs of a larger metro area (i.e. San Jose, Brooklyn, Dunedin, etc.).

It's hard to say that Brooklyn is the "suburbs of a larger metro area" any more than the Bronx (where the major league Yankees play) or Flushing, Queens (where the major league Mets play) are the suburbs of a larger metro area.  

The SI Yankees and the Brooklyn Cyclones simply do not compete with the Yankees and Mets for attendance.  I don't think that this would be different even if they were AAA affiliates.
Boom!

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:42 am »
I always thought Galveston would be a good fit for a Single A or Double A team.  It's close to a large metro area, a Texas tourist town, and a nice downtown to build a stadium in.  A minor league team in Sugar Land does not appeal to me at all.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:55:25 am »
I always thought Galveston would be a good fit for a Single A or Double A team.  It's close to a large metro area, a Texas tourist town, and a nice downtown to build a stadium in.  A minor league team in Sugar Land does not appeal to me at all.

uh, hurricanes/tropical storms? maybe they can build the stadium on pontoons.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:46:50 pm by JimR »

jonbloozy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:49 am »
uh, hurricanes/tropical storms? maybe they cabn build the stadium on pontoons.

Ever been to Whataburger field?
I say smorgasbord!

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:17:36 am »
uh, hurricanes/tropical storms? maybe they cabn build the stadium on pontoons.

I hear Florida has baseball teams now.  Remember where the old Astros AAA affiliate was located?

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
Which makes it that much less sensible to build in hurricane-prone areas.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
Which makes it that much less sensible to build in hurricane-prone areas.

What?  New Orleans still has a team, just not affiliated with the Astros.  Mobile, Alabama has a team.  There is an entire High A League based in Florida.  The Carolinas have a handful of minor league teams.

Architects have figured out a way to design baseball stadiums that withstand tropical storms and rare hurricanes.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:35 pm »
Double-A maybe.  But you need a whole league, not just a team.  Unless you can convince about half of the FSL to decamp and move west, Galveston has no chance for a Single-A team.
Up in the Air

Noe

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »
What?  New Orleans still has a team, just not affiliated with the Astros.  Mobile, Alabama has a team.  There is an entire High A League based in Florida.  The Carolinas have a handful of minor league teams.

Architects have figured out a way to design baseball stadiums that withstand tropical storms and rare hurricanes.

Not for nothing, but the wind swirls around the bay something fierce, sorta like old Candlestick Park.  Makes for playing baseball in that area really tough.  Not saying it's a bad idea, just that if Galveston is ever considered, the affliate team will have to go into that with eyes wide open.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:37 pm »
I hear Florida has baseball teams now.  Remember where the old Astros AAA affiliate was located?

how many are right on the water? how many are leaving for AZ?

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:01 pm »
how many are right on the water? how many are leaving for AZ?

Most of the teams are right on the water, actually.  I don't know what you're talking about in terms of teams leaving for AZ, besides the Dodgers spring training site.  But that has nothing to do with hurricanes or weather.  The Dodgers wanted to be closer to fans and are also getting a serious facilities upgrade.  Plus, there are no other teams planned to move any time soon.  The only one that there has been rumors of is the Milwaukee Brewers, but there lease isn't up until 2012 anyways. 

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 01:08:03 pm »
Not for nothing, but the wind swirls around the bay something fierce, sorta like old Candlestick Park.  Makes for playing baseball in that area really tough.  Not saying it's a bad idea, just that if Galveston is ever considered, the affliate team will have to go into that with eyes wide open.

This I think would actually be a problem.  But I'm looking at this strictly from a business perspective, and not from a player development perspective.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 01:12:05 pm »
Most of the teams are right on the water, actually.  I don't know what you're talking about in terms of teams leaving for AZ, besides the Dodgers spring training site. 
actually, no they are not.

my reply was a wiseass comment re Galveston, but apparently it struck some exposed nerve for you.

lots of teams have left/are leaving for AZ. Florida will have a difficult time holding on.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 01:12:24 pm »
This I think would actually be a problem.  But I'm looking at this strictly from a business perspective, and not from a player development perspective.
Pam.
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:32 pm »
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »
actually, no they are not.

my reply was a wiseass comment re Galveston, but apparently it struck some exposed nerve for you.

lots of teams have left/are leaving for AZ. Florida will have a difficult time holding on.

Go through the teams in the Florida State league and look on a map where these towns are.  It didn't strike a nerve, you're just wrong.  This isn't really something I would get worked up about.

And from what I read about the Dodgers leaving, I never saw anything about other teams following suit.  I will admit that I don't know the future plans for every team in the league, though.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 01:19:51 pm »
Go through the teams in the Florida State league and look on a map where these towns are.  It didn't strike a nerve, you're just wrong.  This isn't really something I would get worked up about.

And from what I read about the Dodgers leaving, I never saw anything about other teams following suit.  I will admit that I don't know the future plans for every team in the league, though.

i have been to ST in Florida for several years. i have sat in many of the parks.

no, you do not. check out the Indians, for example.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 01:21:32 pm »
i have been to ST in Florida for several years. i have sat in many of the parks.

wasn't last year their last year in FL?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:47 pm »
wasn't last year their last year in FL?

that is what folks in AZ thought in March.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »
that is what folks in AZ thought in March.

That is what I heard when I went to ST in 2007.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 01:24:18 pm »

Well I think we're talking about different things, because when I was saying Florida State league I meant the High A Minor League.  They're the teams that play from July-September, so that's why I referenced those.  

There are teams moving their spring training sites from Florida to Az, but once again I don't think that's because of hurricanes.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 01:26:02 pm »
Well I think we're talking about different things, because when I was saying Florida State league I meant the High A Minor League.  They're the teams that play from July-September, so that's why I referenced those.  

There are teams moving their spring training sites from Florida to Az, but once again I don't think that's because of hurricanes.

Earth to clark: i was being a smartass with that comment. i know that New Orleans has had a baseball team for a loooooooong time. i came close to being born at the park where the Pelicans played.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:32 pm »
Earth to clark: i was being a smartass with that comment. i know that New Orleans has had a baseball team for a loooooooong time. i came close to being born at the park where the Pelicans played.

I believe you, don't worry.  I just felt it necessary to respond to the wiseass reply to my post. 

Good talk.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
Well I think we're talking about different things, because when I was saying Florida State league I meant the High A Minor League.  They're the teams that play from July-September, so that's why I referenced those. 

The High A FSL plays from April - September.  It is the Gulf Coast League that plays the short season June - August.  The FSL is a bad league to play in because you play in front of an empty stadium most games.  The team leading the league in attendance averages 2578 (Daytona).  The G'ville Astros of the short season Appy League average 1569 which would put them in the middle of the league in attendance.  There are too many entertainment options in FLA for minor league ball plus you have ample MLB ball near by if you are a baseball fan.  Here is hoping the Astros' High A affiliate doesn't land there when the Red Sox take over Salem next year.
Always ready to go to a game.

roadrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:56 pm »
The High A FSL plays from April - September.  It is the Gulf Coast League that plays the short season June - August.  The FSL is a bad league to play in because you play in front of an empty stadium most games.  The team leading the league in attendance averages 2578 (Daytona).  The G'ville Astros of the short season Appy League average 1569 which would put them in the middle of the league in attendance.  There are too many entertainment options in FLA for minor league ball plus you have ample MLB ball near by if you are a baseball fan.  Here is hoping the Astros' High A affiliate doesn't land there when the Red Sox take over Salem next year.

Yeah the July-September was just referencing hurricane season.  Based on Tampa's and Florida's attendance issues, aside from the fact they have had bad teams more years than not, I could see the High A League teams having trouble drawing fans during the summer.  I've only been down there for ST, which had good crowds the whole time I was there.  Of course, ST is a totally different animal.

I wasn't aware the Astros were losing Salem.  Are there any rumors of where that level is expected to land?

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 02:02:49 pm »
I wasn't aware the Astros were losing Salem.  Are there any rumors of where that level is expected to land?

The Red Sox bought the Salem team in the off season.  Their agreement with their affiliate in the California League ends this year and they are expected to move their team to Salem.  Houston doesn't want to go to the Cal. league because of distance.  They would like to stay in the Car. league but there are no vacancies at this time. So their preference list is:

Carolina League
Fla. State League
California League
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 02:07:09 pm »
The Red Sox bought the Salem team in the off season.  Their agreement with their affiliate in the California League ends this year and they are expected to move their team to Salem.  Houston doesn't want to go to the Cal. league because of distance.  They would like to stay in the Car. league but there are no vacancies at this time. So their preference list is:

Carolina League
Fla. State League
California League

FIFY
Goin' for a bus ride.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:20 pm »

I go to a few Tampa Yankees games a year. A friend of mine buys Yankees spring training season tickets and they make him purchase TY season tickets to get them so he gives them out to his friends. There's never more than a few hundred people there when I go.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 05:17:46 pm »
Can this whole thread be nominated for some kind of award?  Highest density of misunderstandings ever, maybe??  What with ST vs. FSL, Hurricane season vs. baseball season, multiple broken sarcasm meters, and a few others I have missed, the selection should be unanimous.
Up in the Air