Author Topic: BBQ Joints (Non-BB)  (Read 37611 times)

JGrave

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
BBQ Joints (Non-BB)
« on: August 08, 2007, 02:53:54 pm »
Where is the best place to get BBQ in Houston?

Does any place serve wet ribs?
DS Andy Wainwright: You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Nicholas Angel: Like who?
DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
Nicholas Angel: Who else?
DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers' mums.

Andyzipp

Re: BBQ Joints (Non-BB)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:11:05 pm »
Luling City Market on Richmond, Pizzatola's on Shepherd

I'm sure someone is going to suggest Goode Company.  I'm not sure why.

Astroholic

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:13:37 pm »
Where is the best place to get BBQ in Houston?

Does any place serve wet ribs?

Whhhhaaaaattttt are wet ribs?

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 03:15:04 pm »
Whhhhaaaaattttt are wet ribs?

that's a south eastern thing.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

Probably the same reason people in Austin will always suggest the Salt Lick.

Andyzipp

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 03:35:21 pm »

The Salt Lick is a good time.  And although you can eat until you burst, it's not exactly great BBQ.

I prefer Rudy's to Salt Lick, if that tells you anything.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »

If I'm not going to Lockhart, I just go to Rudy's.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:38:24 pm »
Luling City Market is the best in town.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 03:39:20 pm »
If I'm not going to Lockhart, I just go to Rudy's.

I've only been to the chain stores, and they are adequate at best.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:52:13 pm »

Goode Company ain't that bad.  County Line is pretty good.

I grew up in the southeast, and even spent some time in the Carolinas.  Never heard of "wet ribs".
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

PCOL2000

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:25:20 pm »
Joe's BBQ on HWY 6 in Alvin. 

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 07:12:29 pm »

Pizzatola's?  I have tried that place 3 or 4 times now.

At least when I have gone, the Brisket was dry and the ribs were on par with Luthers.   Maybe I should give it one more chance, but the few times I have been, I couldnt have been less impressed.    Luling is damn good though.

Goode Company makes a great chop beef sandwich and their sides are great... but if you want a BBQ plate, I agree, it isnt all it is cracked up to be.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 08:33:28 pm »

Goode Company ain't that bad.  County Line is pretty good.

I grew up in the southeast, and even spent some time in the Carolinas.  Never heard of "wet ribs".

Memphis is a dry rib town; maybe it's a St. Louis thing, but I was under the impression that wet ribs were an eastern time zone thing in the down south.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:37:15 pm by ybbodeus »
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 09:00:50 pm »
It's hard to find good brisket in Houston, and even harder to find good ribs. Most places go too far to cut corners with not using a rub, or one worth a shit anyway. Some places use ovens and don't smoke the meat enough or at all.  Lyndons on 290 and Nonmacher's in Katy are the best I've had in the Houston area.
"Buenos Dias, shitheads."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 09:29:28 pm »
Memphis is a dry rib town; maybe it's a St. Louis thing, but I was under the impression that wet ribs were an eastern time zone thing in the down south.

A quick Google review reveals "wet ribs" to be a Memphis term for ribs with sauce.  The rest of the world just calls them "ribs with sauce". 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Andyzipp

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 09:33:04 pm »
Pizzatola's?  I have tried that place 3 or 4 times now.

At least when I have gone, the Brisket was dry and the ribs were on par with Luthers.   Maybe I should give it one more chance, but the few times I have been, I couldnt have been less impressed.    Luling is damn good though.

Goode Company makes a great chop beef sandwich and their sides are great... but if you want a BBQ plate, I agree, it isnt all it is cracked up to be.

Admittedly, it's more of a "grew up with that place" for me, but I like the brisket and the sauce.

Luling City Market is much better IMO.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 09:33:58 pm »
It's hard to find good brisket in Houston, and even harder to find good ribs.

Don't know about ribs 'cause I like BBQ and ribs ain't BBQ, but....there is good brisket everywhere in Houston.  A few great places, but you can't throw a cow patty and not hit a decent BBQ joint in Houston.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 09:36:43 pm »
Admittedly, it's more of a "grew up with that place" for me, but I like the brisket and the sauce.

Luling City Market is much better IMO.

What do you think of Hickory Hollow?  I think it's pretty good, but not spectacular or anything.  Mrs. Hawk raves over it.

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:40:02 pm »

Don't know about ribs 'cause I like BBQ and ribs ain't BBQ, but....there is good brisket everywhere in Houston.  A few great places, but you can't throw a cow patty and not hit a decent BBQ joint in Houston.

I guess I need to get out more then, or lower my standards.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 09:43:24 pm »
I guess I need to get out more then, or lower my standards.

Get out more.  That's like saying "it's hard to find good Italian food in Tuscany".

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 10:24:01 pm »
Luling City Market is terrific. I live in Dallas but LCM is my favorite in the state. Everything is good including the sausage and the potato salad. Great sauce that's tangy not sweet.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 10:27:17 pm »

A quick Google review reveals "wet ribs" to be a Memphis term for ribs with sauce.  The rest of the world just calls them "ribs with sauce". 

Yeah, until the mid-70's or so, Memphis wasn't all that big a rib town to begin with....more of a bar b q (sandwich) town with Coleman's and Loeb's and a bunch of other little chains on every other corner.  The Rendezvous had the rib restaurant bidness pretty much to itself, until Gridley's showed up.  I thought they were a St. Louis joint, but I'm not sure.  Gridley's offered dry and wet, if you will, but before long you had a lot of other options like Corky's and Cozy Corner and Jim Neeley's Interstate.  Alongwith that you get the bar b q festival, and the town decided to call itself the bar b q capital.  I'm guessing Lockhart giggled a tad at that.
"(512) ybbodeus looks just as creepy in HD as in person."   That is a problem, and we are working on it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 10:57:33 pm »
Alongwith that you get the bar b q festival, and the town decided to call itself the bar b q capital.  I'm guessing Lockhart giggled a tad at that.

Barbecue/BBQ is brisket.  Ribs, pork, chicken, what have you may be tasty, but it ain't BBQ.  Used to piss off the folks in North Carolina something fierce.  They of course consider BBQ to be pulled pork with vinegar (not a "vinegar-based" sauce, just vinegar).  I'd say "oh it's good, I'd eat it every day and twice on Sundays...but it ain't BBQ".  I do miss that NC stuff though.  I'm not lyin' when I say I'd eat it every day.

legs_of_eggs

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:58 pm »
Strack's Barbecue in north houston, or if your going for the greatest potato salad try the Pop's Barbecue shack on aldeine-westfield and cypresswood

gwat

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 11:17:33 pm »
Luling City Market is pretty damn good in Luling as well. Very reminiscent of the warring Lockhart entities, Kreuz' and Smitty's.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 11:26:17 pm »
Strack's Barbecue in north houston, or if your going for the greatest potato salad try the Pop's Barbecue shack on aldeine-westfield and cypresswood

Strack's is right around the corner from my house.  It's "decent", but their sauce is terrible.  I had Strack's cater my B-Day last week (out of convenience), but I served my own homemade sauce. 

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 11:27:29 pm »
Luling City Market is pretty damn good in Luling as well. Very reminiscent of the warring Lockhart entities, Kreuz' and Smitty's.

Agreed.  Standing in that pitt oven room of theirs to order provides some pretty strong breathing.  I don't believe there's any relationship between the Luling Market and the Luling City Market other than naming.

gwat

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:36 pm »
My all-time favorite was Ken Hall's Barbecue in Fredericksburg, TX. Ken Hall, of Sugarland, TX schoolboy football fame (look it up) and a thwarted Texas A&M career (thanks Bear Bryant), had a wonderful BBQ joint in Fredericksburg, on HWY 87 coming in from Comfort, TX,  for 20+ years. Brisket, ribs, pork, sausage, with a serve-yourself sides bar (all the beans, potato salad, cole slaw, jalapenos, etc, that you could stand), was a truly awesome setup.  He sold it 4-5 years ago so now it is called Cranky Franks. I have eaten there once since the transition, and, at that time, it was still very good. Don't know who Cranky is but I hope that he keeps it up with the time-tested recipes, delivers them with love, and remains considerate of the history of his venerable establishment. That's my piece.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:42:30 pm by gwat »

gwat

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:04 pm »
I don't believe there's any relationship between the Luling Market and the Luling City Market other than naming.
Those quaint bastards.

EmirOfSchmoe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 04:29:03 am »
Joe's BBQ in Alvin is a great place to visit.  We always leave a carcuss on all you can eat rib night.

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 06:17:07 am »
The problem with most bbq in houston is that it is not smoked. The city passed an ordinance in the 80's outlawing wood burning pits (in restaurants). They gradfathered all of the joints that were already operating at the time (pizzatolas) but the ranks are thinning. I've been told that Luling actually smokes their bbq outside of the city and drives it in every morning.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 07:42:38 am »
The problem with most bbq in houston is that it is not smoked. The city passed an ordinance in the 80's outlawing wood burning pits (in restaurants). They gradfathered all of the joints that were already operating at the time (pizzatolas) but the ranks are thinning. I've been told that Luling actually smokes their bbq outside of the city and drives it in every morning.

Which city ordinance is that?  I've searched as best I can, especially in the fire code and in the food service codes, and cannot find such a restriction.  Actually, the city ordinances I've seen define how commercial wood-burning BBQ pits are to be constructed.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2007, 07:51:57 am »
Actually, the city ordinances I've seen define how commercial wood-burning BBQ pits are to be constructed.

God bless Texas.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2007, 08:00:50 am »
Williams Smokehouse in Acres Homes:  best ribs in Houston.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Andyzipp

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 08:03:25 am »
Agreed.  Standing in that pitt oven room of theirs to order provides some pretty strong breathing.  I don't believe there's any relationship between the Luling Market and the Luling City Market other than naming.

Same ownership, same family, from what the LCM claims.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2007, 08:24:42 am »
My all-time favorite was Ken Hall's Barbecue in Fredericksburg, TX. Ken Hall, of Sugarland, TX schoolboy football fame (look it up) and a thwarted Texas A&M career (thanks Bear Bryant), had a wonderful BBQ joint in Fredericksburg, on HWY 87 coming in from Comfort, TX,  for 20+ years. Brisket, ribs, pork, sausage, with a serve-yourself sides bar (all the beans, potato salad, cole slaw, jalapenos, etc, that you could stand), was a truly awesome setup.  He sold it 4-5 years ago so now it is called Cranky Franks. I have eaten there once since the transition, and, at that time, it was still very good. Don't know who Cranky is but I hope that he keeps it up with the time-tested recipes, delivers them with love, and remains considerate of the history of his venerable establishment. That's my piece.

Cranky Frank's is still real good. I eat there every time I visit my folks in Fredericksburg. It's good enough that I generally feel no desire to make the extra trip up to Mason or Llano for Cooper's unless I'm showing someone around.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2007, 08:32:27 am »
The Salt Lick is a good time.  And although you can eat until you burst, it's not exactly great BBQ.

I prefer Rudy's to Salt Lick, if that tells you anything.

I do love a beautiful spring day at the Salt Lick, complete with a case of beer iced down in my cooler. But I agree that it ain't the best around.

TenThirty

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 08:36:05 am »
Barbecue/BBQ is brisket.  Ribs, pork, chicken, what have you may be tasty, but it ain't BBQ.  Used to piss off the folks in North Carolina something fierce.  They of course consider BBQ to be pulled pork with vinegar (not a "vinegar-based" sauce, just vinegar).  I'd say "oh it's good, I'd eat it every day and twice on Sundays...but it ain't BBQ".  I do miss that NC stuff though.  I'm not lyin' when I say I'd eat it every day.

ignorance.  BBQ is whatever it was when you were raised.  As someone who grew up in Houston, Lived in NC most of my life high school and later, worked for an employer in KC, almost married a girl in Memphis, and has travelled extensively throughout the southestern united states, I say that there are as many different kinds of BBQ as there are places that make it, and damn near every kind is excellent.

My own personal favorite is the mustard-based sauce prevalent around Columbia, SC.  that said, alabama style, KC hodgepodge, memphis brown, texas brisket, NC pork ... they are all sooooo good.  The only one I don't like is the Eastern NC, which is the pork and vinegar/pepper you mention.  You only find that east of Raleigh. 

For anyone who doesn't know about it, I'm sure the denizons of this board would love the book Roadfood, by Jane and Michael Stern.  It the bible of cheap mom and pop eateries of amazingly high caliber. It lists 500 restaraunts, throughout the country that excel at regional down-home cooking.  Organized on a map which is very convenient for travellers.  I take it with me whenever I travel.  I won't say it is 100% accurrate, but i would say 95% and you can usually tell from the descriptions which ones are too tourist oriented.  Oh, and to show relevance to the discussion, it has probably 75-80 BBQ joints listed.

FWIW, when I moved away from Houston in 1987, the best BBQ place in our area was on S. Braeswood between Chimney Rock and Post Oak. Don't recall the name, but i seem to remember a smoker on site.  When i passed through in 2001 i stopped in and it was as good as I remembered.  Good baseball card shop in the same strip.
Yay.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 08:38:50 am »
ignorance.  BBQ is whatever it was when you were raised. 

Ummm...that's what I just said.

The only one I don't like is the Eastern NC, which is the pork and vinegar/pepper you mention.  You only find that east of Raleigh. 

It's a different style, but I love it.  It ain't BBQ, but I love it.  And you're right, that's a distinctly eastern NC style, though that's about all you find *in and around* Raleigh.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:41:42 am by HudsonHawk »

davek

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 08:47:19 am »
Dozier's Market in Fulshear is pretty hard to beat...

Brisket, sausage made on site and more kinds of jerky than you can imagine...

Not that much of a ride from the west side of Houston...
"You wait for a strike then you knock the shit out of it."  Stan Musial

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 09:12:31 am »
The Swinging Door out by Richmond is my favorite.

http://www.swingingdoor.com/

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:09 am »
Dozier's Market in Fulshear is pretty hard to beat...

Brisket, sausage made on site and more kinds of jerky than you can imagine...

Not that much of a ride from the west side of Houston...

dave...When was the last time you ate there? Dozier's used to be outstanding, but it's now a few owners removed from the Dozier family and has gone down hill. The last few times I ate there it was terrible and I have not been back, but I still hear people comment on how bad it is living just a few miles from Fulshear. It's a shame because it used to be one of the best place in the Houston area to eat BBQ, now not so much. (see, also: Swinging Door)

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 09:38:05 am »
Red River barbecue, owned by a couple of Aggies who set up shop in League City, is pretty good Houston-area bbq.

Every so often we have to hit Pizzy's for the ribs, which have never once been bad when I've been there.

On our trips to Round Rock, we stop at Meyer's or Southside Market- one on the way there and one on the way back. Every one in a while, we'll take the (very) scenic route to Austin, heading out I-10 and up north to Lockhart, then after we fill our bellies at Kreuz Market, head on up the road to visit the family with some Kreuz-to-go.

If we need sauce for the house, we stop at Rudy's and grab a big bottle to bring home.
And, by the way, f*** off. --Mr. Happy, with a tip of the cap to JimR
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

JGrave

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

What do you think of Hickory Hollow?  I think it's pretty good, but not spectacular or anything.  Mrs. Hawk raves over it.

I've been to Hickory Hollow a few times.  It's close to where I office but I've only had the chicken fried steak and it's excellent.  One other time I had a chicken sandwich and it was ok.  
DS Andy Wainwright: You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 10:16:26 am »

On our trips to Round Rock, we stop at Meyer's or Southside Market- one on the way there and one on the way back. Every one in a while, we'll take the (very) scenic route to Austin, heading out I-10 and up north to Lockhart, then after we fill our bellies at Kreuz Market, head on up the road to visit the family with some Kreuz-to-go.

Next time make a senic route through Tayor and go to Louie Mueller's. Brisket as good as it gets. You wont be disappointed, I guarantee.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=576
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:20:09 am by Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2007, 10:20:52 am »
Next time make a senic route through Tayor and go to Louie Mueller's. Brisket as good as it gets. You wont be disappointed, I guarantee.

Don't get there late or else you'll see their "sold out" sign.
Purity of Essence

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:18 am »

There was a spot on Manor Rd. right by Disch-Falk that was called John Mueller's (BBQ was fantastic)....closed down a while back.  Anyone know if there's any relation between Louie Mueller's and John Mueller's? 
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2007, 10:36:33 am »
There was a spot on Manor Rd. right by Disch-Falk that was called John Mueller's (BBQ was fantastic)....closed down a while back.  Anyone know if there's any relation between Louie Mueller's and John Mueller's? 

they are related, and the fact that it closed made your review the minority opinion.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 10:39:30 am »
they are related, and the fact that it closed made your review the minority opinion.

Good to know.  The general lesson in business is always appriciated as well
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 10:41:04 am »
Schoepf's in Belton is a great little stop-off for brisket.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 10:42:35 am »
Back to the early "Rudy's" reference... I've never been to one, but they're building one right by my house.  Anyone have a quickie review?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 10:45:14 am »
Back to the early "Rudy's" reference... I've never been to one, but they're building one right by my house.  Anyone have a quickie review?

They do a creditable job.  You could do a lot worse than Rudy's.
Purity of Essence

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2007, 10:50:09 am »
Hickory Hollow has a good Chicken Fried steak or Chicken.   The BBQ is pretty average, imo. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2007, 10:50:24 am »
Good to know.  The general lesson in business is always appriciated as well

actually i know little about barbecue, other than i like it, and nothing about business. i ate there twice and thought it was no better than ordinary.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2007, 10:51:19 am »
They do a creditable job.  You could do a lot worse than Rudy's.

hence my adequate comment. smoked meats are good, chicken is awful, sides taste like they come from big tubs at Sam's.

chain store stuff.

Andyzipp

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2007, 10:52:01 am »

Approx. where?  I've been waiting for them to put one in Houston.

Andyzipp

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2007, 10:53:06 am »
hence my adequate comment. smoked meats are good, chicken is awful, sides taste like they come from big tubs at Sam's.

chain store stuff.

The location in Round Rock is MUCH better than the location in Bryan.  It may be a management thing.

MusicMan

• Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:52 am »
Approx. where?  I've been waiting for them to put one in Houston.

I-45 and Louetta Rd.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

JGrave

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2007, 11:02:49 am »

Andyzipp

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2007, 11:03:40 am »
Oh, in Conroe.

That's Spring, but same difference when you live in Spring Branch.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2007, 11:14:55 am »

chain store stuff.

Their brisket is pretty good at the Austin locations, also Round Rock and Waco. I didn't notice any drop off when I ate at the one in College Station. I only eat their brisket, chopped beef, and baby backs. I think their sides are shitty and over-priced. You are right about the Sam's quality but Rudy's charges a buck seventy for a cup of potato salad or cole slaw and you can get a gallon at Sam's for a similar price.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 11:15:04 am »
The location in Round Rock is MUCH better than the location in Bryan.  It may be a management thing.

that's likely, but since I have to drive past a local family owned place with much better BBQ, Rudy's doesn't get much of a chance.

Don't think the local Rudy's cares much. They cater to the visitors more than the locals.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2007, 11:37:07 am »
Has anyone had the opportunity to eat a Cele's Country Store way the fuck out on Cameron Rd in the middle of nowhere (actually in between Hutto and Manor... or like I said middle of nowhere)? Their pit-boss knows his shit. Real good brisket. They are only open a few hours on Fri, Sat, & Sun. They offer three side dishes, chedar cheese wedges, jalapenos, and really cold domestic beers. It's in a creepy old building that's been the set of several movies; Texas Chain-Saw Massacre & A Perfect World, to name a couple.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2007, 11:56:03 am »
I-45 and Louetta Rd.

Yeah, I saw that one on the way to Conroe last week and was pleasantly surprised. Now I have a closer supply spot for the sauce.
Y'know, either you're a fan or you aren't. And if you aren't, get the f*** outta here, because we are and you're just in the way. --Ron Brand

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2007, 12:04:29 pm »

Which city ordinance is that?  I've searched as best I can, especially in the fire code and in the food service codes, and cannot find such a restriction.  Actually, the city ordinances I've seen define how commercial wood-burning BBQ pits are to be constructed.

Maybe it's been repealed. My dad made bbq pits in the 80's and he had several orders canceled when they passed the ordinance. 

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 12:24:25 pm »
My own personal favorite is the mustard-based sauce prevalent around Columbia, SC. 

Love the mustard-based sauces.  Lived in Charleston for 3 years and Columbia for 2; both have some great regional barbecue places.  Honestly, it took me a while after moving to Texas to get into the whole brisket thing but now I like it just as much.

The wife is going out to dinner with a friend tonight, so after reading through all this I am compelled to go find some take-out BBQ.  Any suggestions in this part of town that haven't been mentioned yet?  I usually just stop by Demeris because it's close. 

Damn I'm hungry.

Lurch

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2007, 12:36:12 pm »
As long as we're comfortably away from the request for Houston joints... Busters is my favorite in Austin (620 @ 71 in an old VFW). 
I wish the first word I had said when I was born was 'quote'. Then before I die, I could say, 'unquote.' --Steven Wright

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:19 pm »
That's Spring, but same difference when you live in Spring Branch.

I-45/Louetta is in Conroe the same way I-10/Dairy Ashford is in Sealy.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2007, 01:06:53 pm »
Any suggestions in this part of town that haven't been mentioned yet?  I usually just stop by Demeris because it's close. 

Damn I'm hungry.

Luling City Market is not far away (Richmond and 610). I lived in that area for three years, and often picked up BBQ from there.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »
Has anyone had the opportunity to eat a Cele's Country Store way the fuck out on Cameron Rd in the middle of nowhere (actually in between Hutto and Manor... or like I said middle of nowhere)? Their pit-boss knows his shit. Real good brisket. They are only open a few hours on Fri, Sat, & Sun. They offer three side dishes, chedar cheese wedges, jalapenos, and really cold domestic beers. It's in a creepy old building that's been the set of several movies; Texas Chain-Saw Massacre & A Perfect World, to name a couple.

Awesome meat in Cele.  Last time I was out that way on a Saturday it was closed.  Don't know if it is still open.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 01:51:31 pm »
Love the mustard-based sauces.  Lived in Charleston for 3 years and Columbia for 2; both have some great regional barbecue places.  Honestly, it took me a while after moving to Texas to get into the whole brisket thing but now I like it just as much.

The wife is going out to dinner with a friend tonight, so after reading through all this I am compelled to go find some take-out BBQ.  Any suggestions in this part of town that haven't been mentioned yet?  I usually just stop by Demeris because it's close. 

Damn I'm hungry.

Pittin' mustard on a pig's butt don't make it barbecue.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 01:51:45 pm »

I could throw baseball and hit that building. Suffice to say, I ate there a lot. Easily the best BBQ in Austin and definitely not a minority opinion. John Mueller wasn't forced out of business because of an inferior BBQ product but because he's just a terrible businessman and a bit of an asshole. Still, his 'cue offset his shitty customer service. Man I miss that place.

I like what the new owners did with the old house in the back. The Red House has become a popular watering hole.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »

I'm always disappointed because every time I've been through Taylor on the way to/from scenic Leon County, it's after 4 p.m.  Way too early to close for the day, imo.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2007, 02:12:30 pm »
Easily the best BBQ in Austin and definitely not a minority opinion. John Mueller wasn't forced out of business because of an inferior BBQ product but because he's just a terrible businessman and a bit of an asshole.

righto. whatevs.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2007, 02:20:09 pm »
He had a lot of loyal customers who swore by his brisket, myself included...Those UT physical plant workers ate there for lunch all the time. The business shut down because his landlord decided to sell the property when Mueller's lease expired.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2007, 02:58:37 pm »
righto. whatevs.

I ate there when it first opened and it was fine.  Two subsequent visits, rec'd so so service from a cocky guy behind the counter.  Worse than that, the brisket was tough.  Maybe I wasn't the only one.  In Central Texas, too many barbecue options to put up with that.
Purity of Essence

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2007, 03:12:28 pm »
No mention of Thelma's in houston?? ... its the best ... and as a plus its near the ball park ... 

Luling is very good, Pizzatola's is good, ottos is overatted, goode co. is good but also overatted ... I like all these just fine with Luling and Pizzatola's better than ottos and Goode but they all fall short of Thelma's ...

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 03:16:54 pm »
No mention of Thelma's in houston?? ... its the best ... and as a plus its near the ball park ... 

Luling is very good, Pizzatola's is good, ottos is overatted, goode co. is good but also overatted ... I like all these just fine with Luling and Pizzatola's better than ottos and Goode but they all fall short of Thelma's ...

I've heard with Thelma's you have to be in line by 11:00 or 11:15, otherwise the wait is about an hour. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »
I've heard with Thelma's you have to be in line by 11:00 or 11:15, otherwise the wait is about an hour. 
some days ... but yeah generally there is a pretty good wait

worth it though ...

Andyzipp

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:46 pm »
Shocked...SHOCKED...that no one had mentioned Drexler's BBQ.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2007, 03:29:25 pm »
Shocked...SHOCKED...that no one had mentioned Drexler's BBQ.

Closed.  I don't like Thelmas as much as Luling.  JMO.

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2007, 03:54:01 pm »
yeah thelmas and Lulings are my top 2 but its all preference at that point ... by the way someone mentioned wet ribs earlier and I am not sure if thats what you would technically call thelmas ribs but they are awfully heavy on the sauce ... which I don't mind because like wings when I eat ribs I like to look like i've eaten ribs ...

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »
yeah thelmas and Lulings are my top 2 but its all preference at that point ... by the way someone mentioned wet ribs earlier and I am not sure if thats what you would technically call thelmas ribs but they are awfully heavy on the sauce ... which I don't mind because like wings when I eat ribs I like to look like i've eaten ribs ...

I don't like sauce poured or cooked on any of my Q.  I will order it sauseless so that I can monitor the amount of sauce on the Q.

Andyzipp

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »
Closed.  I don't like Thelmas as much as Luling.  JMO.

Like that's ever stopped anyone from pontificating about it...

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2007, 05:05:26 pm »
Like that's ever stopped anyone from pontificating about it...

Okay it sucked.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2007, 05:09:11 pm »

Quote from: Yogi Bera
That place is so crowded nobody goes there anymore

gwat

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2007, 08:27:40 pm »
overatted

I think any place with even one rat is overatted.

chandler44

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2007, 09:56:57 pm »
If you're ever headed south down 59, Mustang Creek BBQ in Louise/Ganado ain't too bad, either.
Living is easy with eyes closed.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2007, 09:04:57 am »

I occasionally go there on Fridays.  Something about the food is unique.  I can eat and eat and eat and never really feel full.  Well worth the trip for anyone in the Austin area. 

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2007, 09:48:12 am »
I don't like sauce poured or cooked on any of my Q.  I will order it sauseless so that I can monitor the amount of sauce on the Q.

That's me, too. I like sauce on some things, but I only like a dab, and most places give you a ladleful. If I want soup, I don't go to a barbecue place.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2007, 11:35:37 am »
That's me, too. I like sauce on some things, but I only like a dab, and most places give you a ladleful. If I want soup, I don't go to a barbecue place.

Thus why Wet Ribs sound disgusting to me, though many places serve just that, even in Texas. 
I lived in Richmond VA for 2 years and will second (or third) the distain I had for vinegar with pulled pork.  And to top it off they put Cole Slaw on the sandwich with the pork.  Disgusting.

Nate in IA

• To the stars...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2007, 01:38:26 pm »
Thus why Wet Ribs sound disgusting to me, though many places serve just that, even in Texas. 
I lived in Richmond VA for 2 years and will second (or third) the distain I had for vinegar with pulled pork.  And to top it off they put Cole Slaw on the sandwich with the pork.  Disgusting.

Actually, the cole slaw is what makes the sandwich.  Before that it's just over-salted pork with a bit of tomato paste.  Drop a dollop of cole slaw on it and it perfects everything.  And I can't stand cole slaw on it's own.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:42 pm »
Actually, the cole slaw is what makes the sandwich.  Before that it's just over-salted pork with a bit of tomato paste.  Drop a dollop of cole slaw on it and it perfects everything.  And I can't stand cole slaw on it's own.

Actually its disgusting.

pravata

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
Actually its disgusting.

I jus know'd this'd come ta feud'n.

JRStros

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
    • www.shenandoahgraphics.com
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2007, 03:43:15 pm »
Enough already!  As a resident of Eastern NC, I must stand up and defend our cider vinegar & red pepper pork as a BBQ delicacy.  When smoked over wood and using the whole pig, there's no other better tasting meat off the grill.  Leave the cole slaw off mine though.  One day, I'll get to Texas and try this brisket thing, but for now, my vote's for the vinegar sauce, which is almost as good on chicken and believe it or not, turkey.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2007, 03:55:19 pm »

The prodigiousness of the portions is what makes Hickory Hollow good. That and the chance to have chicken-fried steak side by side with BBQ.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 04:01:23 pm »

That stuff's a bit too thick for my tastes. Of course, one thing you're sure to get at Maurice's is character.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 04:04:01 pm »
Enough already!  As a resident of Eastern NC, I must stand up and defend our cider vinegar & red pepper pork as a BBQ delicacy.  When smoked over wood and using the whole pig, there's no other better tasting meat off the grill.  Leave the cole slaw off mine though.  One day, I'll get to Texas and try this brisket thing, but for now, my vote's for the vinegar sauce, which is almost as good on chicken and believe it or not, turkey.
Bet you think you are from the south too.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 04:04:51 pm »
Actually its disgusting.

When I make pulled pork, I don't put cole slaw on top, just the shredded cabbage dry. Makes a big difference.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2007, 04:06:58 pm »
When I make pulled pork, I don't put cole slaw on top, just the shredded cabbage dry. Makes a big difference.

My grandpapy always said "if you got to put something on that meat to eat it...you aint cooking it right."

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 04:08:18 pm »

I'd take Goode Company over Luling City Market, but then the only time I went to LCM I wasn't overly impressed, so maybe I should give them another try. The fact that LCM reaked of stale cigarettes didn't help.

Baker's Ribs on Voss isn't bad.

The most overrated place in town (I never went to Drexler's) has got to be Papa's.

Also, the County Line out near Willowbrook did not live up to what I remembered from Austin, however Austin was a long time ago for me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:10:57 pm by Arky Vaughan »

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2007, 04:09:52 pm »
My grandpapy always said "if you got to put something on that meat to eat it...you aint cooking it right."

You don't need it to make you eat it. If you cook the pork butt right so that all the fat and connective tissue renders into the meat, you can just eat it with your fingers, nothing else required. Hence, pulled pork.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 04:11:13 pm »
You don't need it to make you eat it. If you cook the pork butt right so that all the fat and connective tissue renders into the meat, you can just eat it with your fingers, nothing else required. Hence, pulled pork.

And that would be just fine....without the vinegar,coleslaw,sause,etc.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2007, 04:12:33 pm »
And that would be just fine....without the vinegar,coleslaw,sause,etc.

Agreed. I think a good vinegar sauce, the shredded cabbage and the bun are enhancements, but not necessities. If the meat isn't good enough to be eaten by itself, then no amount of dressing it up will help.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2007, 04:15:01 pm »
Agreed. I think a good vinegar sauce, the shredded cabbage and the bun are enhancements, but not necessities. If the meat isn't good enough to be eaten by itself, then no amount of dressing it up will help.

Most of what I had (went to several pull pork parties --that doesnt sound right), tasted like eating fish at long john silvers.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2007, 04:16:38 pm »
Most of what I had (went to several pull pork parties --that doesnt sound right), tasted like eating fish at long john silvers.

That sucks. Bad BBQ is a disrespect to the animal sacrificed to make it.

You really shouldn't be eating fish at LJS, by the way.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2007, 04:18:48 pm »
That sucks. Bad BBQ is a disrespect to the animal sacrificed to make it.

You really shouldn't be eating fish at LJS, by the way.

In highschool, some of use went behind the dumpster at watabuger and shortly after that we got hungry.  LJS was one of those places that took care of the muncies.

Bonomaniac

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2007, 04:22:09 pm »
In highschool, some of use went behind the dumpster at watabuger and shortly after that we got hungry.  LJS was one of those places that took care of the muncies.

and supply you with a good case of mud butt

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2007, 04:23:18 pm »
and supply you with a good case of mud butt

Thats what caused the explosion the next day!  I always wondered.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2007, 04:23:42 pm »
Thats what caused the explosion the next day!  I always wondered.

This thread had been making me hungry.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2007, 04:25:53 pm »
This thread had been making me hungry.

Don't see how.  We have been talking about pulled pork (vinegar style) for Christs sakes.  IMO its not a huge leap from pulled pork to mud butt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2007, 04:48:22 pm »

God knows what went on at your "pull pork parties".  If you were in North Carolina, you'd have gone to a "pig pickin", which would have been fabulous.

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2007, 05:12:53 pm »
I get the no sauce thing when eating a steak - and I can't stand any sauce and it being cooked any where above rare+ ... but most BBQ is pretty mediocre to bad cuts of meat and sauce seasonings and rubs are a big part of great BBQ ... if it taste great without, that’s fine but I see no reason to be picky about savoring the natural flavors of those cuts of meat ... but again that’s just me ...

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2007, 05:17:48 pm »
Don't see how.  We have been talking about pulled pork (vinegar style) for Christs sakes.  IMO its not a huge leap from pulled pork to mud butt.

Your experience, not mine.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:01 pm »
I get the no sauce thing when eating a steak - and I can't stand any sauce and it being cooked any where above rare+ ... but most BBQ is pretty mediocre to bad cuts of meat and sauce seasonings and rubs are a big part of great BBQ ... if it taste great without, that’s fine but I see no reason to be picky about savoring the natural flavors of those cuts of meat ... but again that’s just me ...

Wet and dry rubs and mops are fine, in fact necessary, for the preparation. It's whether you have to slather the meat with sauce in order to eat it that's the problem.

Even a good steak can benefit from a little something when being prepared.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:53 pm »

God knows what went on at your "pull pork parties".  If you were in North Carolina, you'd have gone to a "pig pickin", which would have been fabulous.
Yall eat whatever you want up there.  Just fix me a damn brisket.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2007, 05:20:58 pm »
Wet and dry rubs and mops are fine, in fact necessary, for the preparation. It's whether you have to slather the meat with sauce in order to eat it that's the problem.

Agreed.  They knew what we were talking about.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2007, 05:28:16 pm »
Now let’s discuss technique.  I like Mesquite/hickory/pecan mixed.  I use a water smoker.  About 15 hrs between 215 and 245 deg.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2007, 05:31:55 pm »
Now let’s discuss technique.  I like Mesquite/hickory/pecan mixed.  I use a water smoker.  About 15 hrs between 215 and 245 deg.

I've got one of these:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/a_2040CC_%20front_view_1_with_stainless_steel_shelf_cover.jpg

The problem is, it takes a while to get the hang of mastering the heat, which I haven't quite done yet. Hence, my preference for smoking a pork shoulder, which is more forgiving than a brisket. The smoked ribs come out very good, as does turkey on Thanksgiving. If I can ever master brisket, then I can truly say I deserve to have that rig in my backyard.

I've been using oak or pecan and had good results. I could probably do with some stregthening by way of mesquite or hickory, though.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2007, 05:41:05 pm »
I've got one of these:

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/a_2040CC_%20front_view_1_with_stainless_steel_shelf_cover.jpg

The problem is, it takes a while to get the hang of mastering the heat, which I haven't quite done yet. Hence, my preference for smoking a pork shoulder, which is more forgiving than a brisket. The smoked ribs come out very good, as does turkey on Thanksgiving. If I can ever master brisket, then I can truly say I deserve to have that rig in my backyard.

I've been using oak or pecan and had good results. I could probably do with some stregthening by way of mesquite or hickory, though.

If I can maintain 225 consistently, that works for me.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2007, 05:44:57 pm »

220, 221, whatever it takes.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2007, 05:52:30 pm »
I've got one of these:

That is one hell of a rig.  I have had to change a few times over the years.  It takes some learning to get it right.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2007, 05:55:26 pm »
You could always cheat and go to HEB and get a pre cooked one.  Smoke it for a few hours and wala.  I have had to do this when I did not have to time to cook a raw one.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2007, 05:57:52 pm »
You could always cheat and go to HEB and get a pre cooked one.  Smoke it for a few hours and wala.  I have had to do this when I did not have to time to cook a raw one.

"One hour 'til the brisket!"

Seriously, are those things any good? I've never tried one.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2007, 05:59:24 pm »
"One hour 'til the brisket!"

Seriously, are those things any good? I've never tried one.

Pretty damn good if you smoke it for two hours @ approx 220.  Dont get it anywhere near a oven.  And get a whole one not a pre sliced, it will dry out.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2007, 06:05:20 pm »
And one more thing that helps.  Get you a little note book and write down what you did, for how long and how it turned out.  When you commence to drinking brew, you tend to forget what the hell you did and can't duplicate it the next time.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2007, 07:53:09 pm »

It's not disgusting if you grow up with it, which we did in Tennessee, as well.  That was generally a trick to improve your sandwich if the q was a day old, though I think the practice could have EASILY have grown out of having the slaw on the side and someone's decidin' to just mesh the two together to save time...or cuz he didn't have a fork or something.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:56:46 pm by ybbodeus »

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2007, 08:17:25 pm »
I've got one of these:

Don't know if you've tried it, but that rig works real well with an approximate 40 to 60 pound feral hog.  Easy, too.  Lay the pig on for about 4 to 6 hours with a dry rub of your choosing--hard to mess it up.  Great for standing around drinking beer while it cooks.  Just pick up the lid and start pulling.   
Purity of Essence

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2007, 08:22:03 pm »
Don't know if you've tried it, but that rig works real well with an approximate 40 to 60 pound feral hog.  Easy, too.  Lay the pig on for about 4 to 6 hours with a dry rub of your choosing--hard to mess it up.  Great for standing around drinking beer while it cooks.  Just pick up the lid and start pulling.   

4 to 6 hours of standing around drinking beer?  Who's up for Austin?  Got any Deadwood videos?

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2007, 08:23:21 pm »
4 to 6 hours of standing around drinking beer?  Who's up for Austin?  Got any Deadwood videos?

I've got the third season.  Time to kill a hog.  Or, a Brewer.
Purity of Essence

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2007, 08:27:32 pm »

{Ybber breathes sigh of relief, as he was anticipating, "We've got a pool AND a pond...in the back.  The pond would be good for you....natural springs."} 

MikeyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2007, 08:43:12 pm »

I've got a whole hog, a couple pounds of rub, and a 16' Klose pit...I just need some wood.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2007, 08:57:53 pm »
I've got one of these:

Where the hell is the trailer hitch?
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2007, 09:14:01 pm »
Trailer, Wheel & Frame pitch comin'?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2007, 11:06:17 pm »

225 is a little hot for me.  I like around 190-200.  I usually do about 80/20 pecan/mesquite, turn and flip every 30 minutes.  I've used everything from hickory to apple, but as Jimmy Dean said "never cook with hickory when mesquite is within driving distance".  I make my own sauce.

Rammer33

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2007, 11:44:08 am »

have to vs. want to - obviously if you ‘have to’ to cover something thats one thing but I view it as an enhancement to a meat that tastes better than it does on its own - I consider sauce an intricate part of BBQ ... on the other hand i don't like suaces or rubs on steaks because i prefer the natural flavor of the meat (unless of course its a carne asada but that’s along the same principle as bbq being a skirt steak)

at the end of the day what ever tastes good ...

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2007, 01:19:15 pm »
225 is a little hot for me.  I like around 190-200.  I usually do about 80/20 pecan/mesquite, turn and flip every 30 minutes.  I've used everything from hickory to apple, but as Jimmy Dean said "never cook with hickory when mesquite is within driving distance".  I make my own sauce.

Pecan, Post Oak, and Red Oak are the only woods I use. They're pretty easy to come by, they give a good consistent burn and they are all pretty mellow. I only use mesquite for grilling. It burns too damn hot and if you use it for more than a few hours it will make the meat taste bitter.

As for technique, I usually keep the temp around 240. If you go any higher the meat will dry out, any lower and you won't be able to drive enough smoke into the meat. So, 240 for 2-3 hours - after that you're not going to drive any more smoke into the meat - then wrap your meat in heavy duty aluminum foil, crank the heat up to 300 and give it another 2-3 hours. Cuts your cooking time in half and the foil keeps all the juices in.

Albino Rhino

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2007, 02:46:34 pm »
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Is an excellent resource for all your BBQ needs.  The Weber Smokey Mountain has never done me wrong.  I particularly like to cook a pork shoulder on the top rack and a brisket on the bottom; the brisket stays ~ 10 degrees cooler, and the rendering pork fat drips onto the brisket.  I usually go with a mustard/brown sugar/salt/pepper rub for the pork, and salt/pepper for the brisket, cooking at around 230 degrees.  I've read, and have reason to believe, that collagen (a/k/a connective tissue) turns to gelatin at around 195 degrees, so that's the target temp. 

In the far-flung, distant future, when I'm making fantastic quantities of money, I'll build a brick pit, and I'll be sure to report on my success/lack thereof. 

Opinions on bar-be-cue, much like those on religion and redheads, are better discussed than debated.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2007, 11:49:02 am »
Pecan, Post Oak, and Red Oak are the only woods I use. They're pretty easy to come by, they give a good consistent burn and they are all pretty mellow. I only use mesquite for grilling. It burns too damn hot and if you use it for more than a few hours it will make the meat taste bitter.

As for technique, I usually keep the temp around 240. If you go any higher the meat will dry out, any lower and you won't be able to drive enough smoke into the meat. So, 240 for 2-3 hours - after that you're not going to drive any more smoke into the meat - then wrap your meat in heavy duty aluminum foil, crank the heat up to 300 and give it another 2-3 hours. Cuts your cooking time in half and the foil keeps all the juices in.

300 degrees for smoking a brisket?  Good grief.  Anything more than 225 and it's probably drier than a popcorn fart.  I've smoked as low as 175, when I have time, although it takes 14-20 hours for an 8-lb brisket.  "Low and Slow" is the secret.

Wild Dog

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2007, 12:00:36 pm »
I also subscribe to the low temp/long time school of thought.  I never use oak.  Strictly pecan and mesquite for briskets.  Peach is incredible for smoking a ham while basting it with a pineapple-honey-wasabi plum sauce.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2007, 12:17:12 pm »
I'm an old school hickory smoke guy. But if I've got some cherry or apple I'll go 50/50 with the hickory.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2007, 01:28:10 pm »
Mueller's BBQ in Taylor was profiled on Food Network yesterday.

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 12, 2007, 07:39:13 pm »

300 degrees for smoking a brisket?  Good grief.  Anything more than 225 and it's probably drier than a popcorn fart.  I've smoked as low as 175, when I have time, although it takes 14-20 hours for an 8-lb brisket.  "Low and Slow" is the secret.

I guess you glossed over the part where I said I wrap it in aluminum foil before I crank the heat up. The brisket finishes faster that way and the aluminum foil keeps all of the juices in.  I've done the 10 hour 225 degree smoke many times and I can tell you, this way is much better. One of my best friends taught me this method and he's won dozens of bbq cookoffs with it. Try it once and you'll never go back to the 10 hour grind. Make sure to use heavy duty aluminum foil.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2007, 09:30:07 pm »
I guess you glossed over the part where I said I wrap it in aluminum foil before I crank the heat up. The brisket finishes faster that way and the aluminum foil keeps all of the juices in.  I've done the 10 hour 225 degree smoke many times and I can tell you, this way is much better. One of my best friends taught me this method and he's won dozens of bbq cookoffs with it. Try it once and you'll never go back to the 10 hour grind. Make sure to use heavy duty aluminum foil.

I didn't gloss over it, I disagreed with it.  I've tried nine ways to Sunday to try to speed it up, including the foil wrap, and your way makes it worse.  You just can't get there with short cuts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:33:41 pm by HudsonHawk »

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2007, 06:06:38 am »
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If you ever go to bbq cookoffs in southeast/central Texas, sample some of the winning brisket. The odds are pretty high that it was cooked exactly like this. Done right, it's jucier, more charred on the outside, and has a nice pink quarter-inch smoke ring.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2007, 08:04:30 am »
Clearly, you are not French.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2007, 08:17:18 am »
A friend of mine in college knew the dump schedule at Church's Fried Chicken (poor Popeye's ripoff) out in California.  20 minutes under the warmer, the unsold chicken was dumped.  Like clockwork.  He'd jump in the dumpster with a big garbage bag opened up like the gaping maw of a humpback whale catching krill.  It was not until his 2nd semester of doing this that his frat brothers figured out what he was doing and that he, in fact, did not have a "friend" that was giving them chicken of the sly.  Go Pikes!

Still, *he* never went hungry.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:46 am »

strosrays

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2007, 12:21:32 pm »

a/k/a An Abomination

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2007, 03:43:12 pm »
Agreed. I think a good vinegar sauce, the shredded cabbage and the bun are enhancements...

That's not an enhancement, that's a kimchi sandwich.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

SaltyParker

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2007, 09:19:13 am »
Being born and raised in Houston but having lived 30 years in central Texas here is my 2 cents
to this thread:

When in Lockhart try Chisholm Trail where the BBQ Fajita meat is outstanding, but the
Brisket at $6something per lb. is the best value in Texas. It is where the locals in Lockhart
eat, and does the highest volumn of sales in Lockhart. As with any good BBQ establishment,
don't hesitate to specify your brisket dry, lean, ex-moist, or however you prefer it.

I am living in Taylor right now and I will take Lockhart BBQ over Mueller's or Mikeska's anyday.
Kruez's, Chisholm Trail (Floyd's), to a lessor extent Smitty's, and perhaps even Black's. And for
the sake of discussion, I have never thought of The Luling City Meat Market as a contender for
my BBQ dollars. The Luling location dosen't pose any competition to any of the Lockhart
establishments. Never tried the one in Houston, but if I suppose one were in a bind ..........For
sausage, give me Southside in Elgin. Regarding Rudy's in Austin; it very well may be the best
BBQ available in Austin but at $16 per lb., I'll go with the 30 mile trip.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:21:22 am by Salty »

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:39 am »
The intensity of the barbecue experience in Lockhart is fascinating.  There are four establishments in that little town that would shame virtually anything resembling barbecue produced throughout the entire free world.  As interesting are the loyalties the natives have to each joint and the bitterness aimed toward the others.  I know people who will pretty much not speak to someone that has chosen to go to Smitty's versus Kreuz.

Never ever ask for sauce.
Purity of Essence

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2007, 12:05:49 pm »
Have y'all ever eaten at Cotton's in Robstown.  I always stop there on the way to SPID.  Pretty good meat.

Astros Fan in SoCal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2007, 12:15:15 pm »
Have y'all ever eaten at Cotton's in Robstown.  I always stop there on the way to SPID.  Pretty good meat.

Yes. Wow. Cotton's. We used to stop there every year on our annual trip to the valley. Thanks for the memories. Man, I'm hungry.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:44 pm »

I am Qing today.  I decided to give your method a shot.  Will let yall know it goes.

JGrave

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2007, 03:15:05 pm »

Ok, is this the place that is supposedly "Nolan Ryan's Favorite BBQ?"  I haven't been to Robstown in years but I remember going to a place that gave itself that moniker. 

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2007, 03:29:54 pm »
Ok, is this the place that is supposedly "Nolan Ryan's Favorite BBQ?"  I haven't been to Robstown in years but I remember going to a place that gave itself that moniker. 

I never heard that.  It's good though.  During the week there are always a DPS helicopter or two parked on the Highway 77 median out front.  Probably dropping in from Austin for lunch.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2007, 03:32:03 pm »

the only thing i wanted to do in Robstown was get the hell out of there.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2007, 03:33:35 pm »

But you won that game.  You should love it.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2007, 03:55:37 pm »
Where does the propane tank go?  (that's for you, Melvin...)

I suppose the obvious answer here is, well ... obvious?
Up in the Air

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »
I am Qing today.  I decided to give your method a shot.  Will let yall know it goes.

Well, I'm sitting at work, so you're going to come out ahead no matter what comes of it.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2007, 04:22:30 pm »

I was fishing once out of Riviera and some guys convinced me to go to a strip joint in Robstown.  Yes, Robstown.  Roughnecks and outlaws along with the four of us who upon entering realized that we stood a good chance of receiving a sound ass kicking.  The girls looked terrified.  I asked one of the dancers her career aspirations: "I want to work in the FBI."  

That's the kind of shit you wind up doing when the wind's howling on Baffin Bay.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:29:39 pm by Taras Bulba »
Purity of Essence

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:51 pm »
Yes. Wow. Cotton's. We used to stop there every year on our annual trip to the valley. Thanks for the memories. Man, I'm hungry.

As did our family when making the sojourn from Memphis to Brownsville.  Always a treat!  Still going strong, we presume, Duke?

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2007, 04:52:34 pm »
I was fishing once out of Riviera and some guys convinced me to go to a strip joint in Robstown.  Yes, Robstown.  Roughnecks and outlaws along with the four of us who upon entering realized that we stood a good chance of receiving a sound ass kicking.  The girls looked terrified.  I asked one of the dancers her career aspirations: "I want to work in the FBI."  

That's the kind of shit you wind up doing when the wind's howling on Baffin Bay.

That one was closed, so we went to Kingsville instead.  Pure.  Talent.  Baby.

Whatev.....

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2007, 05:06:22 pm »
But you won that game.  You should love it.

yes, but that was only half of our goal. the team met in my room the night before the game, and my pep talk consisted of: "let's win this game and get the hell out of Robstown."

we did both.

Mark needs to tell the story of the team's being hassled all night by the hotel security guard. no doubt in my mind where that guy went to HS.

strosrays

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2007, 05:51:30 pm »
Never ever ask for sauce.

If the Big Bobby Flay In The Sky had wanted you to put sauce on your ribs, your standard barnyard pig would have huge pustules full of the stuff growing all over him.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2007, 11:10:38 pm »
...some guys convinced me to go to a strip joint in Robstown.

After all these years I am very seldom surprised by anything I read on this board anymore. But it does happen.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2007, 11:22:18 pm »
This is like asking about apple computers, but does anybody use a big green egg?
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2007, 01:01:02 am »
The family and I are heading to Fort Worth on Thursday and will be spending the night near the stockyards before we venture to Dallas on Friday morning. Anybody have any good bbq restaurant suggestions near the stockyards? For one meal, we will probably be eating at Joe T. Garcia's, and for the other, the boys will probably want barbecue.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2007, 09:17:22 am »
Well, I'm sitting at work, so you're going to come out ahead no matter what comes of it.

Brisket turned out nice and tender.  It was not quite as smokey as I like, but I think there might be hope for this fast style.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2007, 09:19:45 am »
The family and I are heading to Fort Worth on Thursday and will be spending the night near the stockyards before we venture to Dallas on Friday morning. Anybody have any good bbq restaurant suggestions near the stockyards? For one meal, we will probably be eating at Joe T. Garcia's, and for the other, the boys will probably want barbecue.

i ate at Joe T.'s a couple of weeks ago along with about a million other people. what a crowd.

strobum

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2007, 10:06:25 am »
Brisket turned out nice and tender.  It was not quite as smokey as I like, but I think there might be hope for this fast style.

That's good to hear. I generally smoke it (unwrapped) for about 3 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less (depending on the size of the brisket). I forgot to tell you, take the juice that's in the foil, pour it into a jar, and throw it into the freezer for a few hours. All of the fat will rise to the top. Scrape off the fat and stir the remaining juice into whatever sauce you use. This will turn a mundane bbq sauce into something amazing

For the record, I generally don't put sauce on my brisket, but my guests often ask for it.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2007, 10:33:28 am »
I understand that you no longer enter through the kitchen at Joe T's....blasphemy!!! 

It wasn't the best bar b q, but there's another Ft Worthless institution on White Settlement*, I believe it is, called Angelo's.  Like Joe T's, it's a Forth Worth destination more so than it is a shrine for food worship.

* and I thought growing up in a suburb called Whitehaven was bad...having second thoughts; Whitehaven sounds just as bad, if not worse.

Astroholic

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2007, 10:35:16 am »
That's good to hear. I generally smoke it (unwrapped) for about 3 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less (depending on the size of the brisket). I forgot to tell you, take the juice that's in the foil, pour it into a jar, and throw it into the freezer for a few hours. All of the fat will rise to the top. Scrape off the fat and stir the remaining juice into whatever sauce you use. This will turn a mundane bbq sauce into something amazing

For the record, I generally don't put sauce on my brisket, but my guests often ask for it.

Yep did that with the first three hours.  Next time I will generate more smoke in the first three hours.

Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2007, 10:51:41 am »
As did our family when making the sojourn from Memphis to Brownsville.  Always a treat!  Still going strong, we presume, Duke?

You bet.  Last time I was in Cotton was still hosting.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2007, 11:02:53 am »
I forgot to tell you, take the juice that's in the foil, pour it into a jar, and throw it into the freezer for a few hours. All of the fat will rise to the top. Scrape off the fat and stir the remaining juice into whatever sauce you use. This will turn a mundane bbq sauce into something amazing.

The war generations back in Limeyland who lived with food rationing for decades learned to use everything from everything.  My Mum would do the same thing, but could never get us to eat sandwiches made with "dripping" like she had to as a kid.

It did spawn one of the best, terrible chat-up lines:  "Do you like beef?  Well eat this it's dripping."
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2007, 11:03:34 am »
I can't believe that this thread has stayed on topic for nine pages- that has to be an OWA record.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2007, 11:11:07 am »
I can't believe that this thread has stayed on topic for nine pages- that has to be an OWA record.

Do lesbians barbecue?
Purity of Essence

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22:22 am »
I can't believe that this thread has stayed on topic for nine pages- that has to be an OWA record

Beer threads stick pretty close, too. These are sacred things.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2007, 11:28:30 am »
Do lesbians barbecue?

Yes, but I've always heard that they use a different kind of sauce, sorta like the issue of what's the content of Jack Daniels Green Label....no one's quite sure WHAT it is.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2007, 11:41:03 am »
Yes, but I've always heard that they use a different kind of sauce, sorta like the issue of what's the content of Jack Daniels Green Label....no one's quite sure WHAT it is.

I think it's musky with a hint of tuna.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2007, 07:09:36 pm »

I like Railhead:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2742962-railhead_smokehouse_fort_worth-i

Its about 10 minutes away from the Stockyards.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2007, 05:23:04 am »
Do lesbians barbecue?

Just the "bone"-less meats though.

However, this might give new meaning to sopping the meat.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:25 am »
i ate at Joe T.'s a couple of weeks ago along with about a million other people. what a crowd.

It *was* crowded last night, but they had crowd movement down to an art. When we walked up, there had to have been fifty people waiting in a long line outside the front door, so we were intimidated, but we stuck it out, and ended up sitting at our table in less than 20 minutes. The food wasn't anything outstanding in presentation or exotic ingredients- it was just good, simple, home-cooked Mexican food, and it was yummy. And the family member on duty was friendly and attentive to her guests in spite of the fact that there were about a hundred of them in the seating area where we were, and hundreds more in the back.

We got our bbq fix down the street from our hotel at [/url=http://www.risckys.com/]Riscky's[/url], where the chopped beef brisket sandwich was good, the sausage was better, the barbecued bologna was surprisingly tasty, the pork ribs were a bit salty but still quite good (and served with sauce on the side rather than on top), and your Shiner arrives in a fishbowl. The one complaint I had was that the sauce was VERY sweet. Some traditional Polish thing, maybe? Iunno.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:54 am »
It *was* crowded last night, but they had crowd movement down to an art. When we walked up, there had to have been fifty people waiting in a long line outside the front door, so we were intimidated, but we stuck it out, and ended up sitting at our table in less than 20 minutes. The food wasn't anything outstanding in presentation or exotic ingredients- it was just good, simple, home-cooked Mexican food, and it was yummy. And the family member on duty was friendly and attentive to her guests in spite of the fact that there were about a hundred of them in the seating area where we were, and hundreds more in the back.

We got our bbq fix down the street from our hotel at [/url=http://www.risckys.com/]Riscky's[/url], where the chopped beef brisket sandwich was good, the sausage was better, the barbecued bologna was surprisingly tasty, the pork ribs were a bit salty but still quite good (and served with sauce on the side rather than on top), and your Shiner arrives in a fishbowl. The one complaint I had was that the sauce was VERY sweet. Some traditional Polish thing, maybe? Iunno.

i think they almost advertise that the food is not the greatest in the world but good nonetheless. two choices only--fajitas or enchiladas. both come with sides. great margs.

same here--i looked at the crowd and asked if my group wanted to leave. we got in line and were seated in under 30 minutes. it was astonishing. the crowd to sit outside was way more people than for inside, but they moved just as fast.

94CougarGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:33 am »
i think they almost advertise that the food is not the greatest in the world but good nonetheless. two choices only--fajitas or enchiladas. both come with sides. great margs.

same here--i looked at the crowd and asked if my group wanted to leave. we got in line and were seated in under 30 minutes. it was astonishing. the crowd to sit outside was way more people than for inside, but they moved just as fast.

Quick summary, for those who've never been to Joe T's:
We each had a traditional cheese nacho (a whole corn tortilla with cheese melted on top), two shredded beef tacos, two cheese enchiladas, beans, rice, guacamole, hot corn tortillas with butter, chips and two salsas (not very hot and hotter), and sopaipillas. All served family style. With drinks, we paid $33 before tip. Really not bad for 4 people, and the service we got was a bonus. They were friendly AND attentive, rather than one or the other. And NO CREDIT CARDS. Cash only, although there's an atm onsite.

drew corleone

• View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2007, 11:39:41 am »
Dammit... I always get sucked into this thread. Now I want a chopped beef sandwich.

There's a place in Temple (Al's BBQ Barn) that has chopped beef sandwiches for $2, I think. It's not necessarily the best sandwich out there, but for the price it ain't bad at all. Good Lord, I must be hungry if I'm wishing I were in Temple right now.

ybbodeus

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2007, 03:45:10 pm »
Just the "bone"-less meats though.

However, this might give new meaning to sopping the meat.

Do lesbians trust their stuff?

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »
Do lesbians trust their stuff?

Of course they do. In fact, they like their stuff so much, they pack all of it in a U-Haul and bring it to the second date.