Author Topic: CC Roster  (Read 9025 times)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
CC Roster
« on: April 03, 2007, 01:59:59 pm »
Here is the roster in a press release. 

http://www.cchooks.com/news/?id=7444
Always ready to go to a game.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: CC Roster
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:17:11 pm »
Self to CC? That seems odd to me, given the amount of time he has spent in AAA.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Noe

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 02:22:25 pm »

From a source:

Todd was sent to Corpus today, presumably because of Bruntlett and Munson being sent down to Round Rock.

It's an educated guess, but a darn good one at that.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:26:10 pm »
From a source:

Todd was sent to Corpus today, presumably because of Bruntlett and Munson being sent down to Round Rock.

It's an educated guess, but a darn good one at that.
In other words, a numbers game in the RR infield.

First Express game of the year for me is Friday night. I'm looking forward to seeing Pence in person.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 02:58:45 pm »

He's also a veteran experienced professional hitter.  CC can use as many of those kinds of hitters as they can get.  He should see a lot of time at first and in the outfield.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 03:03:33 pm »
He's also a veteran experienced professional hitter.  CC can use as many of those kinds of hitters as they can get.  He should see a lot of time at first and in the outfield.

Should help him get his confidence back after last year, too.  He struggled a little early; then got minimal PT and ended up in the indies with marginal results.  All in all, it must have been a pretty discouraging follow-on to his month or so of big-league time with the Astros at the end of '05.  if he can play every day, help CC win and regain his eye/stroke from '05, he may be able to work his way back into the Astro's plans somehow ... or at least audition for a chance elsewhere.
Up in the Air

Noe

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »
See: House, J.R.

geauxmetal

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:56:36 am »
Yeah after never hitting under .300 in the minors, Todd had his first career slump at the wrong time last year with the Mets in Spring Training.  When they sent him down to AAA they put him on the bench.  When he got to the Indy leagues last season he struggled some at first but than got his swing back and the second half of their season he hit 7 HRs and than two more in the first round of the playoffs.  He ended up hitting .320.  I think playing everyday he will do fine.  I just hope the numbers game doesn't keep him stuck in AA. 

Noe

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:56:17 am »
I just hope the numbers game doesn't keep him stuck in AA. 

Ahem... see: House, J.R.!

geauxmetal

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 11:28:18 am »
House, J.R?  Lets pretend I don't know what that means so you can explain that one to me.   ???

Noe

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 12:54:54 pm »
Double A and Triple A are basically the "performance" levels of the minor leagues.  High A ball, A ball, rookie league are the "development" levels.  The line is a bit blurred with some on the double A level, but pretty much if you show you can handle Double A pretty easily, the challenge is not there for you to make any sort of impression.

So you'll get a call-up to either triple A or the majors from double A if you "perform".  J.R. House last year started in double A.  He whacked the ball around for pretty much the majority of the season in Corpus and got sent to Round Rock some time in August (may of been late July).  He whacked the ball around in triple A too, still not displaying a penchant for playing any position that well, but the guy was hitting.

So he "performed" and was rewarded with a call up to the majors.  As such, he got a chance to sign a major league contract this offseason with the Baltimore Orioles.  As long as you have the designated hitter league, a hitter... be he a Double A or a Triple A (doesn't matter)... that shows he can flat out hit, he then becomes a very good candidate for DH needs in that league.

So, J.R. House had no trouble starting in Double A and turning it in to a major league gig.  Nobody else should either.  It's not the Houston Astros who need to do right by Todd Self, it is Self himself who should take this chance and run with it... like, well... J.R. House.

geauxmetal

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 01:15:46 pm »
Nice post!  I'm sure Todd will do what he has always done.  Hit the ball and get on base.  There just seems to be a log jam in front of him now.  He is still grateful for the chance.  Like he told me yesterday after being sent to AA...it could be worse!  He could still be in the Indy Leagues like last season. 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 01:18:48 pm »
Nice post!  I'm sure Todd will do what he has always done.  Hit the ball and get on base.  There just seems to be a log jam in front of him now.  He is still grateful for the chance.  Like he told me yesterday after being sent to AA...it could be worse!  He could still be in the Indy Leagues like last season. 

Exactly.  And I sure hope he does do well ... it was fun watchng him in RR and great to have him back in the Astros organization.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 05:29:29 pm »
Chance Douglass started for CC tonight (and got lit up).  Anybody know what other moves were made or are being contemplated?  Driskill replaced Albers, but that still leaves a slot at RR.  Did they promote someone from CC?
Up in the Air

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 09:31:37 am »
Chance Douglass started for CC tonight (and got lit up).  Anybody know what other moves were made or are being contemplated?  Driskill replaced Albers, but that still leaves a slot at RR.  Did they promote someone from CC?

No answers about your questions but here is more information about the move:

The Hooks made their first roster move of the young season when RHP Chance Douglass, who spent last season with Corpus Christi, joined the team from Triple-A Round Rock. He was 0-1 with a 7.71 ERA in the Pacific Coast League. RHP Tip Fairchild (0-1, 10.29 ERA) went on the disabled list with a sore arm.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070423&content_id=226105&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:03 am »

I'm not convinced they're going to add anyone to the roster to take Douglass' place.  They have 12 men still on the pitching staff and don't seem to have any extreme need to add a position player.  I don't expect a call-up from CC either.  If they do add someone I'd look first for a free-agent signing.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:04:16 pm »
Any word on the status of Paulino or Torbert?

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 10:21:30 pm »
Torbert started in the OF and hit 2-hole for Corpus tonight, debuted with 2-for-4 and 2 RBIs.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Paulino's status
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 10:37:33 pm »
Hooks manager Dave Clark said injured right-hander Felipe Paulino, who has been at extended spring training in Kissimmee, Fla., rehabilitating an arm injury, could join the team "somewhere in the near future."

"He'll throw twice this week and we'll see where he's at after that," Clark said.

As for righty Tip Fairchild, who went on the DL last week, Clark aid he was to see Astros medical personnel in Houston within the next couple of days.
http://www.caller.com/ccct/hooks/article/0,1641,CCCT_17996_5503583,00.html

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Paulino arrives in CC
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 11:01:37 am »
Another roster move for the Hooks today, as RHP Felipe Paulino joins Corpus Christi from Houston’s extended Spring Training program. Paulino, considered by Baseball America to be the eighth-best prospect in the Astros system, is expected to make one relief appearance before joining the starting rotation this Friday in Midland. A member of Houston’s 40-man roster, Paulino spent all last season at Salem, where in 27 appearances and 26 starts he went 9-7 with a 4.35 ERA, with 91 strikeouts in 126.1 innings.

As Paulino joins the club, RHP Travis Phelps, who made just one appearance for the Hooks on Friday and tossed two shutout innings of relief, makes the move to AAA Round Rock.

http://www.cchooks.com/news/notes/index.html?article_id=869

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:18:18 am »
"Relief pitcher Robert Stiehl's last showing for the Hooks came Saturday. The pitcher, who was 0-0 with a 7.47 ERA this year, was released by the Houston Astros Sunday.

In Stiehl's place, right-hander Kyle Middleton was signed as a free agent and joined Corpus Christi. Middleton spent seven seasons in the Kansas City Royals organization, posting a career minor-league record of 51-49. "

http://www.caller.com/ccct/hooks/article/0,1641,CCCT_17996_5524534,00.html

rgs

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 02:43:22 pm »
This surprises me.  I know he is a little old now, but I thought he was finally healthy and showing progress.  Does this mean he is not healthy?  Or just not good?

Noe

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 09:56:52 am »
This surprises me.  I know he is a little old now, but I thought he was finally healthy and showing progress.  Does this mean he is not healthy?  Or just not good?

Loss of velocity.  He wasn't a control guy coming in, just a high power arm.  His injury took his velocity away and in doing so, he had to show he could learn how to control his pitches.  Basically could he reinvent himself.  Seems he cannot.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:10 am »
I notice they activated Mackor to replace Santangelo.  Is that the end of Lou's career?  Purp seemed a bit put out (understandably) and I wonder if the drug use will be the end of the line for Lou as an Astro. 
Up in the Air

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 11:21:09 am »
Was he the one that had something odd about him, like ambidextrous, or "both catcher and pitcher"?
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 11:28:05 am »
I notice they activated Mackor to replace Santangelo.  Is that the end of Lou's career?  Purp seemed a bit put out (understandably) and I wonder if the drug use will be the end of the line for Lou as an Astro. 

I don't think there's any question that a loss of at least 2 months this year will pretty much wreck this season's work.  It's unlikely to end his tenure with the Astros, but he'll certainly have an extremely short leash.  What happens with him in July and August will tell you what the Astros think of him going forward.

I'm more concerned with why he used.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 11:28:51 am »
Was he the one that had something odd about him, like ambidextrous, or "both catcher and pitcher"?

No.  The ambidextrous guy was former Astros farmhand Scott Robinson.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 11:39:53 am »
No.  The ambidextrous guy was former Astros farmhand Scott Robinson.

That's right. I see him listed as a converted catcher, though... was he drafted as a C or a P?
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 12:04:53 pm »
That's right. I see him listed as a converted catcher, though... was he drafted as a C or a P?

Stiehl was drafted as a pitcher.  In college he was the starting catcher and also the closer.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 12:35:14 pm »
I'm more concerned with why he used.

Hard to get into a kid's head but my first thought was  He's 24, married last year and the org has spent high draft picks in the last two years on players for your position.  Fear of failing can make folks do things as much as more than the desire to succeed.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 12:42:05 pm »
Hard to get into a kid's head but my first thought was  He's 24, married last year and the org has spent high draft picks in the last two years on players for your position.  Fear of failing can make folks do things as much as more than the desire to succeed.

Well said.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."