Author Topic: Ask and Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 3, Vol I  (Read 30159 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Ask and Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 3, Vol I
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:58:07 am »
New season, new thread.  All 4 full-season teams start the season on Thursday April 5.
Goin' for a bus ride.

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Ask and Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 3, Vol I
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:24 pm »
The Hooks arrived in Round Rock with 25 players on the roster, although fireballing right-hander Felipe Paulino remains in Florida with an undisclosed arm problem and hasn't left for Texas. He could begin the season on the disabled list.

http://www.caller.com/ccct/hooks/article/0,1641,CCCT_17996_5457431,00.html

Any idea what happened to him?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:13:32 pm »
Any idea what happened to him?

The Astros are notorious for not giving away injury information.  We'll try to get it, but Paulino's had arm problems before that kept him out for nearly a year.  Hopefully, it's just tendonitis or similar.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:49 pm »
On the CC roster, I saw where 3 guys are on the inactive list.  I know this means they cannot play but are there rules that govern this?

I had read somewhere on here that Paulino was nursing a hurt arm, Why is he inactive and not on the DL? 

I assume Mackor is the bullpen catcher?

Any idea why Torbert is inactive?
Always ready to go to a game.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 02:56:21 pm »

Maybe Mackor is the new Tank Fatheree.  Jeff "Mack Truck" Mackor.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:57:17 pm »

I haven't heard.  It's for an excused absence, usually "personal" reasons.  His travelling with the team suggests he'll be on the list for the short term.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:40:08 pm »
I haven't heard.  It's for an excused absence, usually "personal" reasons.  His travelling with the team suggests he'll be on the list for the short term.

It looks to me like the Astros were as surprised as anyone that Bruntlett cleared waivers.  Gotta make room for him; Self to CC.  Oh ... now we have to make room there ... Torbert on the inactive list while we figure it all out.  Now back to sorting through the pitching mess at AAA ... let's see ... 8 starters, no ... geez ... I'm gonna have to get back to you on that one.
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:24:52 pm »
It looks to me like the Astros were as surprised as anyone that Bruntlett cleared waivers.  Gotta make room for him; Self to CC.  Oh ... now we have to make room there ... Torbert on the inactive list while we figure it all out.  Now back to sorting through the pitching mess at AAA ... let's see ... 8 starters, no ... geez ... I'm gonna have to get back to you on that one.

OK ... Here's the deal ... How about we put Driskill & Sauerbeck on the inactive list for a while and see if things sort themseles out.  Walker is outta here, that get's us down to 5 or 6starters.  We're probably gonna have to send Nieve or Albers or both back to Houston before long anyway, so if we hang on to these old guys they will come in handy.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:35:03 am »
All 4 full-season teams start tonight!  Round Rock goes at 7 central. Corpus, Salem, and Lexington go at 6 central.

To listen to all 4 online go to http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/multimedia/audio.jsp and select the game you want to hear.  Milb.com also has gameday for AAA games.  If you go to roundrockexpress.com you may also be able to get online video.

According to Salem all of their games will be available online.  I haven't heard from anyone else but I wouldn't be surprised if the other 3 were available online all season as well.
Goin' for a bus ride.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 06:54:09 pm »
Online video streaming is indeed available at the Express website, but unlike last year's freebie, you gotta pay 6.95 for the season pass (home games only).

Froback

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 08:45:49 am »
And so it begins again.  Qualben got a pick off in last night's game for Lex.
I don't recall off the top of my head, but wasn't he a starter last year, and now he is a reliever... (or is it just too early to figure out where they have people slotted there?)

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 08:57:02 am »
And so it begins again.  Qualben got a pick off in last night's game for Lex.
I don't recall off the top of my head, but wasn't he a starter last year, and now he is a reliever... (or is it just too early to figure out where they have people slotted there?)

They've actually got 6 pitchers on the team who were starters last year.  I haven't heard that the Astros have committed Qualben to a relief role.  It's more likely they'll try to get as many innings as possible out of those 6 guys throughout the year including getting Qualben some starts.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »
Any information on Ronald Ramirez?

I didn't see him listed at Lexington.  Is he slated for Tri City?

If so, what do the short season guys do till those teams start?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 09:45:50 am »
Any information on Ronald Ramirez?

I didn't see him listed at Lexington.  Is he slated for Tri City?

If so, what do the short season guys do till those teams start?

He'll be in short-season, but to my knowledge those rosters are not set yet.  They toil away at extended spring training in Florida.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
I haven't heard that the Astros have committed Qualben to a relief role.  It's more likely they'll try to get as many innings as possible out of those 6 guys throughout the year including getting Qualben some starts.

Qualben got the start last night and seems to have pitched one heck of a game.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 08:53:51 am »
A couple of quick questions:

Was the minor league umpire issue settled?  I remember comments about Iorg, etc. strikeouts, inconsistant play being discussed here as a potential outcome of the horrible umpiring that took place down there.

Also, has anybody seen/heard much on the Salem front about Flores, Iorg, Bogie etc.  Some of those guys at Salem (I didn't list all of them )-  seem to be at important stages of their career where they could breakout...
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:20 am »
A couple of quick questions:

Was the minor league umpire issue settled?  I remember comments about Iorg, etc. strikeouts, inconsistant play being discussed here as a potential outcome of the horrible umpiring that took place down there.

Also, has anybody seen/heard much on the Salem front about Flores, Iorg, Bogie etc.  Some of those guys at Salem (I didn't list all of them )-  seem to be at important stages of their career where they could breakout...

To the best of my knowledge the umpiring situation is fine.

For the Salem hitters it's way early.  None of them has even 25 at-bats this season.  But, Flores, Iorg, and Manzella are off to hot starts.  After going 0 for 9 to start the season Billy Hart has gone 4 for his last 9 with a double.

As for the arms, Bogusevic is healthy.  He, Brad James, and Raymar Diaz had good first outings.  Sergio Perez and Chris Salamida got beat up a bit in their first starts.  None of the starters has more than 1 start.

I intend to recap April in early May for the prospects.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 05:16:27 am »
On the CC roster, I saw where 3 guys are on the inactive list.  I know this means they cannot play but are there rules that govern this?

I had read somewhere on here that Paulino was nursing a hurt arm, Why is he inactive and not on the DL? 

Baseball America is listing these guys on the Minor League Disabled list. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=144

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:59 am »
Is there going to be list of players at EST available this year?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:51 am »
Is there going to be list of players at EST available this year?

We'll see what we can dig up.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 08:05:12 pm »
Torbert was activated today and is playing right field for Corpus.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 10:50:03 pm »
He actually sneaked in Tuesday Night as a pinch hitter.  I guess Fairchild going on the DL made room on the roster.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12:37 am »
He actually sneaked in Tuesday Night as a pinch hitter.  I guess Fairchild going on the DL made room on the roster.

Well screw me.  That'll teach me to believe everything I read.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 11:56:28 am »
Do you have a report on Johnny Ash in CC?  He was mentioned at work the other day and I have found very little about him.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

rgs

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 03:10:25 pm »
Do you have a report on Johnny Ash in CC?  He was mentioned at work the other day and I have found very little about him.

From MiLB.com

Jonathan Ash 2B 22 86 11 29 7 2 1 11 43 10 4 0 2 .418 .500 .337 .918

Good start with average of .337, OBP of .418 and Slg of .500.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 03:38:22 pm »

Fringe prospect at this point.  Hard worker. Gets the most out of limited talent.  He's more a slap/gap hitter for average.  Won't hit for much power.  His ceiling is utility guy.  He plays second.  Played third at Stanford so he's got significant experience at more than one position.  He's a good but not great defender.  If the Astros can't use Brunt and Conrad it's unlikely they'll call up Ash.  He was drafted in 04 and was older than 19 at the time of signing so he'll be due to be added to the 40-man this fall or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.  What happens then should tell you a lot about how the Astros and the league feel about him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 09:34:14 am »
Fringe prospect at this point.  Hard worker. Gets the most out of limited talent.  He's more a slap/gap hitter for average.  Won't hit for much power.  His ceiling is utility guy.  He plays second.  Played third at Stanford so he's got significant experience at more than one position.  He's a good but not great defender.  If the Astros can't use Brunt and Conrad it's unlikely they'll call up Ash.  He was drafted in 04 and was older than 19 at the time of signing so he'll be due to be added to the 40-man this fall or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.  What happens then should tell you a lot about how the Astros and the league feel about him.

He played mostly at 3B at Tri-City in 04, too.
Up in the Air

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 10:41:10 pm »
How is Mitch Einertson doing?  I read an article about him recently that had him listed as one of the Astros top 10 minor league prospects.  I don't follow much below AAA, just don't have time.  Thanks for the info.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 11:04:15 pm »
How is Mitch Einertson doing?  I read an article about him recently that had him listed as one of the Astros top 10 minor league prospects.  I don't follow much below AAA, just don't have time.  Thanks for the info.

Any article that has Einertson listed as a top 10 prospect is either years old or a publication you should not be reading.

Since his big rookie ball debut he's been mediocre at best.  He's been the 3rd/4th outfielder this year at high-A Salem.

Check the list of outfield prospects near the end of our top 10 this year.  That should tell you where he stands as a prospect.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:56 pm »
Sergio Perez left Salem's game tonight with an injury after K'ing the 2nd batter of the game   Any idea how serious?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 08:44:53 am »
Sergio Perez left Salem's game tonight with an injury after K'ing the 2nd batter of the game   Any idea how serious?

First word out is strained groin.  He's apparently had this problem before.  No stated timetable for returning.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 04:16:08 pm »
First word out is strained groin.  He's apparently had this problem before.  No stated timetable for returning.

Right on.  Was worried it was his arm.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Towlie

• Veteran Role Player
  • Ahhh, Radiohead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 10:16:01 am »
Max Sapp as of today is hitting .309; he has no home runs though. Is he the better hitting prospect out of him and Hendriquez?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 12:26:58 pm »
Max Sapp as of today is hitting .309; he has no home runs though. Is he the better hitting prospect out of him and Hendriquez?

That is the expectation.  Though there is doubt about Sapp staying behind the plate.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »
Publicly the Astros have said they believe he is and will remain a C while most others saw him as a non-C headed into the draft.  Is this belief by the Astros starting to waiver (at least internally)?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 01:06:35 pm »
Publicly the Astros have said they believe he is and will remain a C while most others saw him as a non-C headed into the draft.  Is this belief by the Astros starting to waiver (at least internally)?

Teams say a lot of stuff prior to drafting a player.  The true evaluation begins after the player enters the org.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2007, 03:11:43 pm »
from BBA site: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=334

Houston Astros
Released: RHP Johnattan Echarry, RHP Travis Phelps, RHP Ramon Prieto, C Nelson Gord
Recalled: LHP Mark McLemore
Optioned to Double-A: RHP Matt Albers
Reinstated from disabled list: 1B James Van Ostrand

McLemore, 26, went 0-1, 1.91 with 37-19 strikeouts-walks in 33 innings for Triple-A Round Rock. He pitched a scoreless inning in his big league debut May 24.

JSAstrosFan

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2007, 04:18:12 pm »
Optioned to Double-A: RHP Matt Albers

Is this a typo?

Duder

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2007, 05:59:50 am »
Is this a typo?

Yeah, he pitched the other night for Round Rock.

Fletch

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 07:46:02 pm »
Any specific reason that Max Sapp has not been playing?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 07:50:24 pm »
My understanding is he has a tweaked quad or groin that he got in his last catching assignment.  It hasn't warranted a trip to the DL yet.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 08:40:37 pm »
While we're at it ... how about Danny Klassen?  He hasn't been playing lately ... maybe just the revolvong door with the big club, but he was contrbuting more than Burke, for sure.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 11:28:20 am »
Cesar Quintero got promoted to Salem from Lex.  He will replace Tim Torres who was recently promoted to Salem from Lex.  Torres will go back to Lex.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 01:11:17 pm »
Cesar Quintero got promoted to Salem from Lex.  He will replace Tim Torres who was recently promoted to Salem from Lex.  Torres will go back to Lex.

Thanks for the info ... I was intrigued by Cesar when he had a hot start before disappearing last year.  This year he has played all three outfield positions well and hit well at the top of the lineup all season.  IIRC, he played some in the infield at the beginning of '06, but maybe only 1B?  In any case, it will be interesting to see how Salem uses him.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 01:21:27 pm »
Thanks for the info ... I was intrigued by Cesar when he had a hot start before disappearing last year.  This year he has played all three outfield positions well and hit well at the top of the lineup all season.  IIRC, he played some in the infield at the beginning of '06, but maybe only 1B?  In any case, it will be interesting to see how Salem uses him.

The promotion does make some sense.  He's 24, too old for Lex.  They hadn't really replaced Iorg on the roster.  He did hit well and as you said can play all the outfield positions.  He will no doubt fit into the rotation as the 3 or 4 outfielder.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 01:38:46 pm »
 I went last week and watched Lex play.  I was impressed by Q's play in center, he also hit a lead off home run on the games first pitch.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 07:01:04 am »
My understanding is he has a tweaked quad or groin that he got in his last catching assignment.  It hasn't warranted a trip to the DL yet.

I was at least in the general vicinity.

Legends DH Max Sapp, back in the lineup Wednesday after missing six games because of a hip flexor, is unavailable to catch. He was injured blocking a ball in the dirt.

http://www.kentucky.com/271/story/91898.html

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 07:49:15 am »
Torres semed to come out of nowhere, got a promotion and played well.  Is moving him back down simply to allow both him and Manzella time at short or just a result of the roster needs at Salem?   Also, I see Torres playing both short and second, is he one of those guys who has no future at short, but might have one at second?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 07:53:22 am »
Torres semed to come out of nowhere, got a promotion and played well.  Is moving him back down simply to allow both him and Manzella time at short or just a result of the roster needs at Salem?   Also, I see Torres playing both short and second, is he one of those guys who has no future at short, but might have one at second?

His move up was to address a position need while Sutil was dinged up.  He has now returned and the position need is in the OF. 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 11:23:17 am »
His move up was to address a position need while Sutil was dinged up.  He has now returned and the position need is in the OF. 

Right 2 HR & 6 2B in 29 AB's and a ~1300 OPS on top of the season-long 900 OPS at Lex wasn't enough I guess. 

But seriously, his stick has been a question in past years which may be why he is seen as "extra".  It would be nice, though, if this is some kind of break-through.  I have not seen him play, but have heard that he is decent at SS so he could potentially play either middle infield position.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 11:25:37 am »
Right 2 HR & 6 2B in 29 AB's and a ~1300 OPS on top of the season-long 900 OPS at Lex wasn't enough I guess. 

But seriously, his stick has been a question in past years which may be why he is seen as "extra".  It would be nice, though, if this is some kind of break-through.  I have not seen him play, but have heard that he is decent at SS so he could potentially play either middle infield position.

In his 2 years at Oral Roberts he spent his first in center.  So, he's athletic enough to play mulitple positions.  Let's see how he manages at the plate the entire season.  This hot streak could just be an anomoly.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2007, 06:36:43 am »
Several roster moves and injury updates out of Lexington:

The Injuries:
The Legends' Ralphie Henriquez rolled his right ankle while running out a ninth-inning grounder. If he is unavailable today, Jim Goethals will catch, backed by Eric Taylor. Max Sapp (hip flexor) is limited to DH.

The Moves:
RHP Bryan Hallberg, who worked 32/3 innings last night, has been reassigned to Tri-City, which opens play June 19 in the New York-Penn League. ... Two RHPs are due to join the Legends bullpen today. Nick Cavanagh reports from High-A Salem. Reid Kelly comes from extended spring training.

http://www.kentucky.com/271/story/93646.html

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2007, 07:34:26 am »
Updated injury and movement:

RHP Corey Bass (shoulder tightness) has been placed on the disabled list and likely will not play until after the All-Star break. ... C Ralphie Henriquez, who rolled his right ankle Saturday night, is available to play, but was given a day off.

http://www.kentucky.com/271/story/94334.html

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2007, 06:32:10 am »
Kevin Davidson released:

"He's one of those guys if he doesn't find a job he's got a future as a coach," Clark said of Davidson. "He has a great mind for the game."

http://www.caller.com/news/2007/jun/16/hooksnotes/

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 10:47:59 am »
How does one transition from player to coach? Are assistant coaching positions essentially on-the-job training for coaches? Are there different paths if you intend to coach in high school/college vs minor (and, hopefully, major) league baseball?
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Promotions
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2007, 12:46:52 pm »
Do promotions normally take place right about this time (mid-season) throughout the minor league system?

This is the first year i've really followed the farm system closely.  Parraz, Einertson, James....heard that all 3 of them stand a good chance at moving to the next level
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Promotions
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2007, 01:40:18 pm »
Do promotions normally take place right about this time (mid-season) throughout the minor league system?

This is the first year i've really followed the farm system closely.  Parraz, Einertson, James....heard that all 3 of them stand a good chance at moving to the next level

Right about now, esp for A-ball level.  AA All-Star game is a little later.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »
Do you think Douglass has a chance at a promotion?

He has a 1.74 era over his last 57 IP.
57IP..42 Hits..11ER..13BB..41K

Anyone seen him throw?  Only description I could quickly find was "fastball/change-up pitcher with good command." 

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2007, 02:55:52 pm »
Do you think Douglass has a chance at a promotion?

He has a 1.74 era over his last 57 IP.
57IP..42 Hits..11ER..13BB..41K

Anyone seen him throw?  Only description I could quickly find was "fastball/change-up pitcher with good command." 

Off the top of my head the best comp I can come up with is DJ Houlton.  Decent stuff but appears to be AAAA at least as far as the Astros are concerned.  Tony McKnight is another comp.  Fastball is run of the mill.  Off-speed stuff keeps him in the game.

Patton is more likely to get the call to AAA, IMO.
Goin' for a bus ride.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2007, 07:01:51 pm »

Chronicle article on possible upcoming promotions
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

BALUA

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2007, 01:10:44 am »
It seems that Sergio Perez  pitched not well so far,I know that his last two outing is outstanding
(10IP 0ER),but overall status still not good.Does he has any injury or just refine his delivery,pitch like changeup,slider??

Thanks very much

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2007, 07:37:33 am »
Sergio had a groin problem in early May http://www.orangewhoopass.com/forums/index.php?topic=101455.msg118426;topicseen#msg118426 as Jacksonian reported. 

Since then he has been building up and is looking better.  Over the last 4 starts (20 1/3) innings, he has a 1.8 ERA.  He has still yet to go deeper than 5 1/3 innings since the injury.  Looks like slow and steady is the plan for Sergio.

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2007, 08:32:37 am »
Are we even close to signing Deitrich??  I know the question has probably been asked a couple times over the past week.  I'm a little worried because according to some of the articles i've been reading signing him is not supposed to be an issue...yet we haven't signed him.  Doesn't add up.  Is there some specific reason why there isn't a contract yet?
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2007, 08:39:36 am »
Are we even close to signing Deitrich??  I know the question has probably been asked a couple times over the past week.  I'm a little worried because according to some of the articles i've been reading signing him is not supposed to be an issue...yet we haven't signed him.  Doesn't add up.  Is there some specific reason why there isn't a contract yet?

The devil is in the details.  Patience is required.  Unless he's being a complete ass, he'll sign.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2007, 01:34:18 pm »
While zooming through box scores the other day, I thought I saw that Brad James only pitched 3 innings.  Any reason why?  Again, I was zooming through them, so I didn't interogate this at all and could have mis-read.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2007, 01:39:01 pm »
While zooming through box scores the other day, I thought I saw that Brad James only pitched 3 innings.  Any reason why?  Again, I was zooming through them, so I didn't interogate this at all and could have mis-read.

Had to sit through a rain delay. They didn't send him back out there after the delay.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2007, 01:41:50 pm »
Had to sit through a rain delay. They didn't send him back out there after the delay.

2 hours +

http://www.salemavalanche.com/cgi-bin/dist/news.cgi?id=3
Goin' for a bus ride.

MusicMan

• High Order of the Ferret
  • Thanks for 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2007, 10:06:32 am »
Is the organization waiting on anything in particular to release Chan Ho Suck?
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing AstroTurf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve and I believe in long, slow, deep, torture of Bud Selig.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 10:28:20 am »

As if they have better options ready for AAA?  Or any chance whatsoever of making the AAA playoffs??

My guess is that he will play out the string this season in RR and disappear forever from organized baseball thereafter.
Up in the Air

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2007, 11:07:10 am »

[rimshot] You mean, Chan Ho "Leaving the" Park? [/rimshot]

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week.  Try the potato salad, it's great.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2007, 07:40:49 am »
I noticed a while back that Tim Raines is playing RR.  Can anyone offer a breakdown on him?  It looks like Houston picked him up as a minor league FA but I'm not sure.  I'll keep looking but any insight is appreciated.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2007, 09:30:10 am »
I noticed a while back that Tim Raines is playing RR.  Can anyone offer a breakdown on him?  It looks like Houston picked him up as a minor league FA but I'm not sure.  I'll keep looking but any insight is appreciated.

Yep, the Astros signed Raines as a minor league FA this off-season.

Raines started the season at Corpus Christi and was promoted to Round Rock at about the same time that the Astros called Hunter Pence up to Houston.  He was serving mainly as the Express' fourth OF until Pence's injury resulted in Jason Lane being recalled by Houston, which has created more playing time for Raines.

Ironically, Raines has hit better as a part-time player at Round Rock (.327/.365/.478) than he did as an everyday starter at Corpus (.244/.319/.329).

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Tim20Raines&pos=OF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=406428
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

BALUA

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2007, 09:49:17 am »
Ryan McKeller pitched not bad  this year and his command seems like have improved,does Astros consider moving him back to rotation in the future??
Thanks

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:23 am »
Ryan McKeller pitched not bad  this year and his command seems like have improved,does Astros consider moving him back to rotation in the future??
Thanks

Right now they are looking at him as a closer in Salem:

Reliever Ryan McKeller was named pitcher of the month.

McKeller went 1-1 with a 1.02 ERA in 12 appearances and made three saves. He struck out 18 batters in 1723 innings and walked three.

McKeller has been used more in the role of closer lately, in part because the Avalanche is trying to get closer Sammy Gervacio more than one inning of work in his outings and thus fewer outings.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2007, 08:53:01 am »
His name hasn't come up in some time, from what I've seen/read, but what's the status on Fernando Nieve?
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2007, 09:05:00 am »
His name hasn't come up in some time, from what I've seen/read, but what's the status on Fernando Nieve?

Continuing to recover.  In his case no news is good news.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:47 pm »
Any news on Ryan Thompson?  I assume he is injured, but couldn't find anything.

I remember seeing him throw a few times this year and remember just how aggressive he was.  He was fun to watch.  I looked up his line. and in 48 innings, he had 47 K and 8 BB, nearly a 6:1 ratio, pretty impressive.............but he has also given up 13 HRs.  I always found that an interesting pitching line. 

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
He actually pitched last night.  It was his first outing since July 23rd.

I like to pull for guys like Thompson.  NDFA relievers who make it to double AA are rare. 

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2007, 11:38:35 am »
From the Round Rock transaction page ...
8/22 Delete C Danny Ardoin Traded Round Rock

I could not find any details.  Anyone else have info?
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2007, 11:44:00 am »
From the Round Rock transaction page ...
I could not find any details.  Anyone else have info?

I know he's playing for Memphis now.  I want to say he was released rather than traded.  I'm still trying to dig it up.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 11:51:55 am »
I know he's playing for Memphis now.  I want to say he was released rather than traded.  I'm still trying to dig it up.

the info I can find from Scout.com shows he had been released and signed a minor league contract with them.
http://stlcardinals.scout.com/a.z?s=321&p=9&c=2&cid=671423&nid=3320713&fhn=1&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fstlcardinals.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs%3d321%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d671423%26nid%3d3320713%26fhn%3d1

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 01:34:35 pm »
i wondered about him during the last home stand after Towles came up to coach first base.

Ardoin hit one OVER the LF roof one night when i was there. incredible blast, but not as long or far as Jimerson's two.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:06 pm »
i wondered about him during the last home stand after Towles came up to coach first base.

I was wondering about that, too ... It seems a bit of a waste for JR. 
Up in the Air

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2007, 02:08:37 pm »
I was wondering about that, too ... It seems a bit of a waste for JR. 

i have heard he has been pretty overmatched early on.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2007, 02:26:45 pm »
Has anyone been called up to RR to replace Gutierrez and Driskill?  And I guess Driskill goes back down when Patton comes up?

rgs

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2007, 02:20:35 pm »
I noticed that Koby didn't play much during the last week of the season.  Any reason for that?  Thanks.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:01 pm »
I noticed that Koby didn't play much during the last week of the season.  Any reason for that?  Thanks.

I must be wasting my time (sigh)

Check out the Minor league news & reports section on from Labor Day & Today.  The article linked in todays MLNR gives this account of his injury:

Last Tuesday, he lacerated his other pinkie, taking an unnecessary throw off the tip of the finger. (With one out and three balls on the batter, runners on first and second took off for a double steal. However, the pitch was a ball, making the “steals” a dead-ball play.)

“It’s just really brutal,” he said. “The ball just squirted up my finger, perfect.”

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2007, 09:01:52 am »
The write up on Salem's game last night reminded me to ask, Anyone seen Trinidad in person, or have reliable scouting reports?  All I can tell is that he is a lefty that gave up too many home runs, but otherwise performed well.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2007, 09:09:50 am »
The write up on Salem's game last night reminded me to ask, Anyone seen Trinidad in person, or have reliable scouting reports?  All I can tell is that he is a lefty that gave up too many home runs, but otherwise performed well.

From a source that's watched him at Salem: "He throws fastball, slider, changeup and has thrown 'em all for strikes."
Goin' for a bus ride.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2007, 12:23:20 pm »
The winter leagues...is it common to send a prospect there and tell him to work on his changeup, etc. (to hell with the results)? 

Thanks to Duman for the winter league updates.  Some of our pitchers numbers in the DR league triggered this question.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2007, 03:53:10 pm »
The winter leagues...is it common to send a prospect there and tell him to work on his changeup, etc. (to hell with the results)? 

Thanks to Duman for the winter league updates.  Some of our pitchers numbers in the DR league triggered this question.

Yes, that is why Brad James' numbers weren't great in AFL.  He was working on some additional pitches. 

I think also the numbers are hurt by lack of appearances.  For example Severino (Who I really liked when he was in Greeneville), has 8 appearances but has 1 outing where he faced only one batter (BB) and then 4 more where he only pitched 1/3 of an inning.  So one bad outing is magnified due to sample size. 

The number on Severino I found most interesting and most skewed because of sample size.  Ground ball to Air out ratio and opponent batting average. 

Against the 3 innings of facing righties, he has a 0.50 GO/AO ratio but a .200 opponents batting average.
Against the 2 innings of facing lefties, he has a 5.00 GO/AO ratio but a .333 opponents batting average.

Which of those do you get excited about the fact that he is getting lefties out or the fact that righties are pounding the ball into the ground?

Need more innings to know which, if not both, are an aberration.