Author Topic: RR Outfield  (Read 3716 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
RR Outfield
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:23:49 pm »
As Bailey alludes in his "fan blog" or whatever it's called, there's a potential log jam in the AAA outfield with Pence, Rodriguez, Anderson, Hidalgo, and Jimerson in the mix.  He wonders if Jimerson may be left off the 40 man (nice save, pravata) or out of a job.  Maybe the Astros have given up on Jimerson--I'm not sure, but I'm curious if Hidalgo would accept going to AAA, and I've been wondering lately if Houston will even offer the option to him. The Link
Purity of Essence

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Re: RR Outfield
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:09:25 pm »
I haven't thought of Hildago in the minors?  Is that really a possibility?  I don't see him getting playing time from the younger guys unless he is willing to play some 1st base since we don't have any prospects at that position in the whole minor league system.
Always ready to go to a game.

David in Jackson

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:33:55 pm »
I stick with my prediction for Ree-shard: Atlantic League
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:34:40 pm »
Quote:

I haven't thought of Hildago in the minors?  Is that really a possibility?  I don't see him getting playing time from the younger guys unless he is willing to play some 1st base since we don't have any prospects at that position in the whole minor league system.

From what I've read, it's hard to see where Hidalgo fits in with the big club.  If they think he will be an asset sometime this season, I'm sure Houston will want him to accept a minor league offer.  If there is some question to that, then does he merit a lineup spot in RR in place of a prospect?
Purity of Essence

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 04:01:03 pm »
i'll be surprised if Jimerson returns to RR.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:31:28 pm »
Quote:

I stick with my prediction for Ree-shard: Atlantic League

I second that.
Always ready to go to a game.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 05:35:04 pm »
I'd be pissed if he returns.  He is an awful player.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:05:42 pm »
Quote:

I'd be pissed if he returns.  He is an awful player.

Actually just an awful batter ... specifically a total inability to pick up the pitch ... with a bad attitude.  He plays great D and when he actually connects with the ball, he runs the bases well (both fast and smart).  If they let him play in Houston every day, though, he might strike out 300 times in a season!

I'm with Jim ... I will be really surprised if he is back ... surprised if the Astros want him back and very surprised if he is willing.
Up in the Air

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:07 pm »
I guess that is what hacks me off.  The Astros have carried him on the roster way too long.  I've heard he is a five tool talent.  He'll be a great player, but I sure didn't see any of that last year.  As an Express fan I want him gone.  He's an empty shirt to me.

coop

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:07:08 am »
He's only been on the roster for a year.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 08:57:14 am »
actually, CJ was a great player for a month or so last season at RR. he made consistent contact and looked like he finally had figured it out. he has all the other tools to be great. after getting everyone all excited, however, he returned to his old form and seemed determined to strike out each AB. in addition, his attitude became a serious problem. the absolute worst thing possible for him was his tape measure HR in the bigs. if he does not make the team in ST, i'll be very surprised if he is not released.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 10:57:22 am »
Quote:

I guess that is what hacks me off.  The Astros have carried him on the roster way too long.  I've heard he is a five tool talent.  He'll be a great player, but I sure didn't see any of that last year.  As an Express fan I want him gone.  He's an empty shirt to me.

5-Tool, eh?
Speed: Check
Defense: Check
Arm: Check
Hit for Power: Check
Hit for Average: ummm, no

This is the problem.  He has teased so much potential if he could just make contact on a consistent basis.  I really think he could be close to a Beltran type impact hitter if he could be like Beltran and hit .280-.290 in the Majors.  I think that is what the Astros have long thought too, which is why they have hung on to him for so long.

Imagine what he could be like if it "clicked" suddenly for him.  Melvin Mora was a late bloomer that way, but his ceiling was never as high as Jimerson's would be if he could hit for any kind of decent average.  So the Astros have hung on in the hopes that it would "click".  Also they have not really had anybody really challenge for his spot either, again speaking to the lack of positional talent in the system.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 12:14:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

5-Tool, eh?
Speed: Check
Defense: Check
Arm: Check
Hit for Power: Check
Hit for Average: ummm, no

This is the problem.  He has teased so much potential if he could just make contact on a consistent basis.  I really think he could be close to a Beltran type impact hitter if he could be like Beltran and hit .280-.290 in the Majors.  I think that is what the Astros have long thought too, which is why they have hung on to him for so long.

Imagine what he could be like if it "clicked" suddenly for him.  Melvin Mora was a late bloomer that way, but his ceiling was never as high as Jimerson's would be if he could hit for any kind of decent average.  So the Astros have hung on in the hopes that it would "click".  Also they have not really had anybody really challenge for his spot either, again speaking to the lack of positional talent in the system.

His problem is more than just a failure to "hit for average".  In fact (as Jim R pointed out) he actually does hit well for average when he actually hits the ball!  His problem is an amazing ability to miss the ball with regularity.  If he can't make more consistent contact, he'll make Dave Kingman look like Nellie Fox by comparison.
Up in the Air

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:18:54 pm »
Quote:

Not even close. He was put on the 40-man after the 2003 season. It's why he's out of options.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 01:16:25 pm »
Quote:

I really think he could be close to a Beltran type impact hitter if he could be like Beltran and hit .280-.290 in the Majors.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Jimerson has ever hit better than .270 at AA or higher.  I do know, however, that he's consistently led the Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues in strikeouts (at about 150-160 per) for the past few seasons.  So, to expect, or even realistically hope for, the light-bulb to suddenly come on, in terms of plate discipline, pitch recognition, etc., seems somewhat silly to me.

As someone else mentioned, the organization had room in the upper minors to give Jimerson a chance for the past few years.  Now, however, with younger guys like Pence and Anderson coming up, he's not only a liability, but he's also blocking better prospects.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

coop

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 01:57:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Not even close. He was put on the 40-man after the 2003 season. It's why he's out of options.

Ooops....for some reason I thought he was added after the 2005 season.

That brings me to another question that I have though if that is the reason that Jimerson is now out of options.

Nieve and Astacio, along with Gimenez, were added on to the 40-man roster that very same date in November 2003.  Are they too out of options?  (I believe Gimenzez but he's likely headed to the 60-day DL so that won't really be an issue).

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 10:05:46 pm »
Quote:

Nieve and Astacio, along with Gimenez, were added on to the 40-man roster that very same date in November 2003.  Are they too out of options?  (I believe Gimenzez but he's likely headed to the 60-day DL so that won't really be an issue).

Gimenez was out of options as had been noted several times previously this spring. You're correct about Nieve and Astacio having been added to the 40-man at the same time that Gimenez and Jimerson were.

As far as Nieve goes, there was previously a rule that says if a guy is assigned to the minors for less than 20 days, that will not count as a use of an option. If that rule survived the new CBA, then Nieve did not burn an option last year when he was assigned to RR on 7/21 and recalled 8/5. So he would still have one option remaining.

Astacio would have burned options in all of the past three years and therefore has none remaining.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"